Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Moving points between accounts (General Discussion Thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 7, 2019, 4:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
Latest Rules (taken from Marriott Rewards T&Cs): https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/terms/default.mi#earn

Transferring Points from One Account to Another

2.8.a. In accordance with the conditions for transferring Points as described in Section 1.6.c., a Member can transfer up to a maximum of 100,000 Points per calendar year to another Membership Account as long as both Accounts are in good standing and have each been open for at least sixty (60) days. A Member can receive up to a maximum of 500,000 Points per calendar year from other Membership Accounts as long as the Accounts are in good standing and have each been open for at least sixty (60 days).

2.8.b. A new Member may receive a Points Transfer thirty (30) days after enrollment if the Account reflects activity including a Qualifying Stay or other qualifying activity as described in Section 1.6.d. After ninety (90) days from enrollment, a new Member is eligible to receive a Points Transfer regardless of their account activity.

2.8.c. Authorization to transfer Points must be initiated by the Account holder with the Points to be transferred by contacting Member Support. The Account holder requesting the transfer must provide the Membership Number of the Points recipient at the time of the Point transfer request.

2.8.d. Once the authorization for transfer is received and processed, the transferor relinquishes all rights to the transferred Points, and they become the recipient’s Points.

2.8.e. Miles and Elite Night Credit cannot be transferred between Membership Accounts.
Print Wikipost

Moving points between accounts (General Discussion Thread)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2019, 12:11 am
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Is it safe to assume that nothing has changed regarding points transfer with the official introduction of Bonvoy?

LAX

Last edited by LAX; Mar 8, 2019 at 4:35 pm Reason: spelling
Old Feb 25, 2019, 7:43 am

Programs: SPG Plt, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, AA LT Gold
Why did they have to make it more difficult by forcing you to call instead of doing the transfer online?
Old Feb 25, 2019, 8:25 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by hull22
Why did they have to make it more difficult by forcing you to call instead of doing the transfer online?
Who knows. There is no way it is cheaper to have someone have to spend time on the phone with someone to do this. I'm sure Marriott IT will get right on this.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 6:16 am

Programs: BAEC, AsiaMiles
Transferring points to spouse

Hi there,

I'm desperately trying to get points from my husband's account transferred to mine (he is fully aware and agreeable to this!). The difficulty is both of our accounts are relatively new. When first calling, both accounts were under 30 days old, and they advised that both accounts had to be 30 days old and in good order with qualifying activity. We both have points transferred from credit cards (him from Amex Membership Rewards, me from my new SPG Amex), which are starred on our accounts as qualifying activity. On ringing them last night, we were told that my husband's account had to be over 90 days to transfer points out! Talk about moving the goal posts!
Does anyone have any experience of this? Is it a case of hang up and call again and hopefully get another agent?
Any help gratefully appreciated as I'm shortly going to miss out on a flight redemption with the lack of these points.
Many thanks
Old Feb 28, 2019, 7:46 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by kspeed88
Hi there,

I'm desperately trying to get points from my husband's account transferred to mine (he is fully aware and agreeable to this!). The difficulty is both of our accounts are relatively new. When first calling, both accounts were under 30 days old, and they advised that both accounts had to be 30 days old and in good order with qualifying activity. We both have points transferred from credit cards (him from Amex Membership Rewards, me from my new SPG Amex), which are starred on our accounts as qualifying activity. On ringing them last night, we were told that my husband's account had to be over 90 days to transfer points out! Talk about moving the goal posts!
Does anyone have any experience of this? Is it a case of hang up and call again and hopefully get another agent?
Any help gratefully appreciated as I'm shortly going to miss out on a flight redemption with the lack of these points.
Many thanks
You might be out of luck, the terms and condition are stated quite clearly on the member rules page.
You can transfer up to 100k per year to any member within the program, and your account have to be more than 90 days old.
An account can receive up to 500k pts per year.

Do you have any status with those accounts?
Maybe getting the Plat line and pleading might get you a sympathetic rep to help you, but my take is your chances are limited.

Why didn't you xfer the your husband's AMEX points into your account? Or xfer points within AMEX then to your Marriott account?

I think your last resort might be asking other friends or family with existing Marriott accounts that can loan you the points for now since it's urgent.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
My family member just set up a new account yesterday. After how many days can I transfer to her?
Old Mar 7, 2019, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by kspeed88
Hi there,

Many thanks
Unfortunately many CSRs answer from memory and are not up to speed with the new rules and some actually make up rules that result in them not having to take action. So this is not surprising (at least to anyone reading FT). However, I don't know if this tactic will bypass the minimum account age issue, but I recall that if you call in to order an award that needs points from two accounts you don't need to do a transfer first and have that settled out before booking the award. Some have reported cancelling the award later to have all the points returned to their individual account. Good luck.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 9:50 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by onlysuites
My family member just set up a new account yesterday. After how many days can I transfer to her?
Check out the WIKI in this thread. Section 2a details how long each account has to have been live/active.
onlysuites likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 5:48 pm

Does the rule still apply that you can only transfer in increments of 1000? My hubby has 1938 and doesn't use an old SPG account, so want to clean it out.

Also, is there a restriction as to how many accounts can be transfered into your account? (hubby has old account and new account and I want to transfer both to mine).

Does hubby have to call in to do the transfer, since it's his points being transferred? Or is it okay if I call to transfer into my account?

(Not being able to do this online anymore is a real PITA...)

EDIT: I called and stuck it out...on hold for over a half hour...the agent transferred 62 points into hubby's account so he could transfer 2000! No issues with other account either. Transfers were instant. Aside from the wait, it was quite easy and pleasant.

Last edited by pokee; Mar 12, 2019 at 6:20 pm
Old Mar 24, 2019, 2:15 pm

Can transfer Marriott points online?

I would like to transfer points from my Marriott account to my spouse's.
There is no way to do this online, I believe; is this correct?

On Marriott.com they say transfers can be accomplished
by calling "Member Support at (801) 468-4000".
This is not a toll-free number.

Is this the only phone number that be used to access Marriott about points transfers or about other member issues?
Old Apr 7, 2019, 12:57 pm

A few weeks back I emailed Marriott with this same question. Today I finally got a reply;
they wrote: "You may reach us at 1-800-535-4028 to make this transfer for you."

So, apparently there still is a toll-free number, but it seems that they are directing people via their webpage to the non-toll-free number.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 2:37 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum
I called to transfer points last week, and had to wait on hold for 40 minutes before an agent finally answered. I wish they’d bring back the online transfer option we had with the SPG website. Instead of 40+ minutes it would have taken less than one.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by Jase415
I called...had to wait on hold for 40 minutes before an agent finally answered.
Was that the 1(801)468-4000 number, or the 1-800 toll-free number?
Old Apr 7, 2019, 4:25 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by muji
Was that the 1(801)468-4000 number, or the 1-800 toll-free number?
I guess it was the generic loyalty program number 1-800-627-7468 on the help page. Even if the other numbers are faster, if they’d bring back online transfers then Marriott could save a few minutes of agent time (that could be spent on issues that can’t be automated and self-serviced). Wishful thinking, I know.
muji likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 4:30 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
The idea that this has to be done by phone in 2019 is just insane.
muji and cujo2344 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.