Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

May I suggest Mods to recategorize subforums by brands under Marriott Bonvoy?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

May I suggest Mods to recategorize subforums by brands under Marriott Bonvoy?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2019, 3:23 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Having "Marriott Bonvoy Hotels in XXXXX" (example: "Marriott Bonvoy Hotels in New York City") is also parallel with the naming convention on other forums (example: "Hilton Honors Hotels in New York City").

Using the same naming convention provides more meaningful search results when searching across multiple FlyerTalk forums.
ryw likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 3:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA Plat, DL Gold
Originally Posted by 3rdworldresident
Luxury,
Premium,
Select,
Longer Stays

I think it'll be more convenient and easier to find specific property thread.

Just my 2 cents.
oh lord please do not do this
Old Jan 25, 2019, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by Horace
Marriott Hotels is one of 29 brands in the Marriott Bonvoy program. There are quite a few Marriott hotels in London, for example, but also other hotel brands that also participate in Marriott Bonvoy.
Marriott Hotels is just one brand owned by Marriott International.

Marriotts are Marriotts. Editions are Marriotts. Now Westins are Marriotts. They're all Marriott hotels. The are owned/operated/franchised by a corporation, not a frequent guest program.

Yes they "participate in" the program. The program doesn't own/operate/franchise them.

Do you fly on AAdvantage planes? I fly on American planes.

people on FlyerTalk tended to write about SPG hotels, not Starwood hotels.
Just page 1:
Starwood hotels coming to Goa 2015/2016
Starwood hotels in China (Beijing, Shanghai, Suzhou, Hangzhou) - how are they?
Best Starwood Hotel in Scottsdale/Phoenix (Multi-page thread 1 2)

SPG Member Data Hacked - Another large scale breach
How Is SPG Amex Business Card Access to Sheraton Lounges Fulfilled at the Hotels?

Properties were Starwood, Program was SPG.
Properties are Marriott, Program is Bonvoy.

Last edited by CPRich; Jan 25, 2019 at 3:47 pm
Old Jan 25, 2019, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
How about a poll
1. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in...
2. Anything else for the love of god
Old Jan 25, 2019, 5:42 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonrs Diamond
When you search for the word Bonvoy on FT, are you looking for a specific hotel review, or information about the new consolidated rewards program?

The key words in the thread title "Marriott Bonvoy hotels in London" are "Marriott" and "London". Yet that thread will rank higher in my search for general information on the Bonvoy rewards program or status levels than it should.

Keep "family", or "group". Then when the name changes, nothing needs to be done. Heck, even the main forum here still has "program" and not Bonvoy in the name.
Bonvoy everywhere? .... Way too soon.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 6:05 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Having "Marriott Bonvoy Hotels in XXXXX" (example: "Marriott Bonvoy Hotels in New York City") is also parallel with the naming convention on other forums (example: "Hilton Honors Hotels in New York City").
In searching the other FT hotel fora, I am not finding any titles such as "Choice Priviliges Hotels in Boise", or "IHG Rewards Club Hotels in Karachi". Just seems to be a Hilton thing.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 6:31 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, IHG Gold, *A Gold
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
How about a poll
margarita girl likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 6:43 pm
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
At this point I cannot see FlyerTalk adding subforms based on market segment, geography, elite tier, or some other category. Too many topics would cross those categories.
Where can I get my Marriott Platinum sub-forum so I can skip past the posts surrounding confusion about Lifetime Titanium?

Though in all seriousness, put me in the camp for keeping a single forum.

As for the city-level threads, I think there does need to be something after the word "Marriott" to make it clear it's not just a thread for the hotel(s) in that city with the name Marriott, though I don't particularly care what term it is. (Perhaps to make everyone happy we can just call it the "Marriott Group's Portfolio with Bonvoy Family of Hotel Properties in City XX" )
Old Jan 25, 2019, 7:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP,SPG 75
FlyBitcoin likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by ryw
As for the city-level threads, I think there does need to be something after the word "Marriott" to make it clear it's not just a thread for the hotel(s) in that city with the name Marriott, though I don't particularly care what term it is. (Perhaps to make everyone happy we can just call it the "Marriott Group's Portfolio with Bonvoy Family of Hotel Properties in City XX" )
If having Marriott in the thread title confuses people, why not just say “Hotels in City XX”. If people don’t know what forum they’re in, too bad. They’ll figure it out quickly enough, or we might just drive more business to Marriott!
Old Jan 25, 2019, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by YouGeeElWhy
Bonvoy in the thread titles is the very definition of S.U.P.E.R.F.L.U.O.U.S.
And those periods aren't.

Can threads appear in more than one [sub-]forum? Suppose, for example, that had geographic sub-forums and brand sub-forums. Have one thread, for example, for SGS, but have it appear in both the Bangkok and LC sub-forums. Then one could look for hotels in Bangkok, or specific brands anywhere.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 9:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Can threads appear in more than one [sub-]forum?
No. The forum software is not designed that way.

IMO, sub-fora are as evil as stickies.

Originally Posted by FlyBitcoin
Heck, even the main forum here still has "program" and not Bonvoy in the name.
Maybe because the new program doesn't go into effect until 13 February?
Old Jan 25, 2019, 10:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
How about a poll
Before the forums were merged, the MAR mod did polls on things that were important.

Originally Posted by FlyBitcoin
When you search for the word Bonvoy on FT, are you looking for a specific hotel review, or information about the new consolidated rewards program?

The key words in the thread title "Marriott Bonvoy hotels in London" are "Marriott" and "London". Yet that thread will rank higher in my search for general information on the Bonvoy rewards program or status levels than it should.

Keep "family", or "group". Then when the name changes, nothing needs to be done. Heck, even the main forum here still has "program" and not Bonvoy in the name.
Bonvoy everywhere? .... Way too soon.
This.

Originally Posted by Tanic
In searching the other FT hotel fora, I am not finding any titles such as "Choice Priviliges Hotels in Boise", or "IHG Rewards Club Hotels in Karachi". Just seems to be a Hilton thing.
This.

Originally Posted by margarita girl

If having Marriott in the thread title confuses people, why not just say “Hotels in City XX”. If people don’t know what forum they’re in, too bad. They’ll figure it out quickly enough, or we might just drive more business to Marriott!
This.

FWIW - (hello to mods) - basically most MAR/SPG folk are against having Bonvoy in the family threads. Perhaps just go w/ hotels in city XX as MG suggests. Who knew both sides would be against & for something
Old Jan 26, 2019, 4:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Bonvoy is a stupid name.

It is also the moniker which identifies the program for earning and using points for hotel stays, along with info on properties using that system.

Seems childish to want to remove the name from threads on Flyertalk, when it succinctly and specifically identifies what we are all trying to understand and maximize.

Flyertalk search capabilities are not great. Let's not further hamstring ourselves in some futile rebellion about a stupid name.
ryw likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Just a point to consider, people do look for OneWorld airlines when booking flights to make sure they can earn/burn miles, so the concept of Bonvoy hotels does have some merritt. Look at how many of us used different names like MPG, Stariott, Mariwood, etc. Marriott has chosen a name and it's time to accept they will not listen to anything we have to say.

Another data point is many FT posters don't pay attention to categories today, so trying to split things up will just make more work for the moderators getting alerts to move a post here or there. Look at the new threads in the legacy forums that are clearly labeled DO NOT. Learning to use the search function and maybe some enhancements to that would make more sense.

Just my humble opinion, not a mandate or a call to arms.
Horace and ryw like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.