FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   [How to find] My Marriott Bonvoy Status Expiry date ? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1951737-how-find-my-marriott-bonvoy-status-expiry-date.html)

flybie Aug 27, 2018 3:09 pm

[How to find] My Marriott Bonvoy Status Expiry date ?

I can't seem to find this information. I have Platinum elite status with Marriott because of my Gold status with Ritz Carlton card this August. It converts from Gold to Platinum. But anyone knows or where I can read up to see when will I lose this Platinum elite status? Is it end of 2018 or it end of 2019?

injian Aug 27, 2018 6:56 pm

I am also interested to know where to find this. Can not find it in either app.

flybie Aug 30, 2018 12:18 pm

Anyone knows this?

wordsmith Sep 12, 2018 2:27 pm

Newly Platinum...what is expiration date in new program?

I was a longtime SPG Gold. in July, I made Platinum via an SPG challenge. I am almost positive the congrats message I received indicated I would now have Platinum status through Feb. 2020 (as per SPG usual...you earn status in a year and you then have that status for the rest of the calendar year and the next year). On the new SPG website, I can't find anything that says when Platinum will expire if I don't requalify...is it end of this year? End of next year? The website is confusing because it implies I now need to stay more nights *this year* to earn Platinum for *next year* even though I'm presuming I already earned it for next year?

wordsmith Sep 14, 2018 9:13 am

Bumping this because I posted in wrong forum initially!

josephstern Nov 14, 2018 2:52 pm

I called Marriott about this. The rep was completely clueless (as I've been finding with Marriott now - I come from the SPG world).

She kept saying, the year goes from January to December. Pointless and useless.

I'm surprised there's no status expiration date in my account, but she couldn't find one, and she said I was the first person to ever ask her that question.

RogerD408 Nov 14, 2018 4:31 pm

General program rule is if you earn status this year, you will have status through the following year. The specific cut-off may be the end of January or February (I'm not sure which right now). It's getting where the CSRs are almost as clueless as the FDCs. I had one FDC congratulate me for finally making Platinum status saying how I don't have to chase nights anymore. She was shocked when I told her we needed to do 75 nights EACH YEAR to keep Plat or get 750 nights and 2M points for LTP (which I was quite some distance from at the time).

josephstern Nov 14, 2018 5:22 pm

Right - my problem is, I didn't get status from nights. I seem to have some combo of matching or credit card spend or something else, which I cannot precisely identify. Nor can the CSRs.

So, given that I don't know on what basis I have status, I have no idea how long it'll last.

If, for example, I knew I'd lose it at the end of this program year, I might push for spend on the Amex CC to try to get it again for next year. Or I might make reservations at non-Marriott properties for next year.

Just too much ambiguity. Status isn't really worth much if you don't have an idea of how long it will be in force.

RogerD408 Nov 14, 2018 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by josephstern (Post 30430483)
Right - my problem is, I didn't get status from nights. I seem to have some combo of matching or credit card spend or something else, which I cannot precisely identify. Nor can the CSRs.

So, given that I don't know on what basis I have status, I have no idea how long it'll last.

If, for example, I knew I'd lose it at the end of this program year, I might push for spend on the Amex CC to try to get it again for next year. Or I might make reservations at non-Marriott properties for next year.

Just too much ambiguity. Status isn't really worth much if you don't have an idea of how long it will be in force.

I don't think MR will be the place to look. Check the T&Cs of the CC or other program (maybe a CSR can look up what is actually providing your status). If they provide EQNs based upon spend or the such, then you will need to earn enough to make tier. The nice thing there is you can do stays or bonuses to augment those EQNs. But knowing the rules for the program will be most helpful. Maybe someone here is on the same programs so if you list the cards, groups, etc. someone may speak up. Otherwise it's pure guesses.

josephstern Nov 14, 2018 6:45 pm

I'm pretty sure this is the only travel loyalty program that I've been a member of that can't tell me my status expiration date.

CPRich Nov 14, 2018 7:00 pm

Is this not relevant?

cardmembers who have earned Gold Status before August 26 will get Platinum Elite Status through 2019 to guarantee lounge access
"Through 2019" would mean ending just after 11:59:59p on 12/31/2019 to me.

RogerD408 Nov 14, 2018 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by josephstern (Post 30430683)
I'm pretty sure this is the only travel loyalty program that I've been a member of that can't tell me my status expiration date.

But from what you are saying, you are not earning status via the program, but granted status from elsewhere. How can MR know how long you're going to keep a CC or how much you are going to spend to qualify for the comp? Gotta find the source and read those T&Cs.

josephstern Nov 14, 2018 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by RogerD408 (Post 30430733)
But from what you are saying, you are not earning status via the program, but granted status from elsewhere. How can MR know how long you're going to keep a CC or how much you are going to spend to qualify for the comp? Gotta find the source and read those T&Cs.

You think that source tells Marriott each day, Joe has X status?

I'm pretty sure that whoever told Marriott to give me the status gave them a "through" date along with it.

ecgz88 Nov 14, 2018 8:20 pm

I got my platinum Elite in Feb 2018 through Platinum challenge, won't hit 50 nights this year, so will I be downgrade to Platinum in 02/2019 or 02/2020?

Thanks!

MSPeconomist Nov 14, 2018 8:41 pm

Was that SPG Plat or MR Plat? It makes a difference. BTW, it seems strange to talk of a downgrade from Plat to Plat.

josephstern Nov 14, 2018 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 30430982)
Was that SPG Plat or MR Plat? It makes a difference. BTW, it seems strange to talk of a downgrade from Plat to Plat.

Agreed. It's like American with the three Platinums.

senzer Dec 11, 2018 7:10 pm

Has anyone resolved this or figured it out? Can’t figure out if my status runs through end of 2018 or 2019!

josephstern Dec 12, 2018 9:50 pm

I did email them, and they told me it would expire in early 2020:

Thank you for taking the time to reach out to Marriott Customer Care today.

Platinum Elite will expire January 31, 2020.

To renew status in 2019 stay 50 nights. To achieve next level in 2019 stays required 75 nights.
January 1 - December 31

marlin Jan 18, 2019 8:14 am

When will my Marriott Rewards (now Bonvoy) Status Expire?

Apologies in advance if this has already been answered but buried some where in the merger discussions.

I was originally Marriott Gold. Since August, I have become Platinum Elite. There is no way I am going to make 50 or 75 nights. However, I am
enjoying the perks and am afraid I will be dropped down to something else soon. Any idea when? And what level? Thank you!

exploreaswego Jan 18, 2019 8:54 am

Originally Posted by marlin (Post 30670673)
Apologies in advance if this has already been answered but buried some where in the merger discussions.

I was originally Marriott Gold. Since August, I have become Platinum Elite. There is no way I am going to make 50 or 75 nights. However, I am
enjoying the perks and am afraid I will be dropped down to something else soon. Any idea when? And what level? Thank you!

Did you qualify and earned your pre-merger Gold status in 2017 or 2018?
If you earned it in 2018, your newly mapped post-merger Platinum status should last till early 2020.
If it's 2017, your Plat will probably be d/g to gold this year.

For all the seniors here, correct me if I'm wrong.

RogerD408 Jan 18, 2019 9:05 am

Originally Posted by marlin (Post 30670673)

The program year is Jan 1 - Dec 31, the status year runs until the end of January, So the earliest you should see a drop, if it happens, will be the beginning of February. I do believe Marriott still does the soft landings, so only one tier down a year if you have no qualifying status.

marlin Jan 18, 2019 9:24 am

Earned premerger Gold in 2017 with some kind of easy challenge. I'm pretty sure I am going to drop down in February which is unfortunate
as I have some March trips planned. Thank you for the replies. I will update this thread when I see what happens.

RogerD408 Jan 18, 2019 9:29 am

Originally Posted by marlin (Post 30670946)
Earned premerger Gold in 2017 with some kind of easy challenge. I'm pretty sure I am going to drop down in February which is unfortunate
as I have some March trips planned. Thank you for the replies. I will update this thread when I see what happens.

A golden ticket you might be able to cash in on, is many have reported their status at the time of booking stuck with the property even if the stay was after dropping in status. So if you can commit to the stay before the end of January, you might luck out at least with the on-site benefits (breakfast, lounge, etc.). Just keep in mind any changes may cause a refresh and the game is over. Good luck.

jrb CO Jan 25, 2019 4:45 pm

Does anyone know if 2018 status level extends through 1/31/19 or 2/28/19?

nexusCFX Jan 25, 2019 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by jrb CO (Post 30701231)
Does anyone know if 2018 status level extends through 1/31/19 or 2/28/19?

According to Marriott and the Lurkers, it's the former.

MSPeconomist Jan 25, 2019 11:16 pm

This could be *fun* next week if people lose status but their new status hasn't been recognized yet.

jtp1947 Jan 26, 2019 10:09 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 30702144)
This could be *fun* next week if people lose status but their new status hasn't been recognized yet.

Exactly, I am LTPP thus, United Silver. I have a United flight Feb. 3 and hope Silver will renew by that time.

slariz Feb 1, 2019 11:42 am

So I still have my 2018 status and it is after Jan 31. Does this mean it’ll be valid until 2/28? Anyone know when status is expiring this year? Seems the answer, like much of the answers post-merger, is all over the place.

jrb CO Feb 1, 2019 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by slariz (Post 30728374)
So I still have my 2018 status and it is after Jan 31. Does this mean it’ll be valid until 2/28? Anyone know when status is expiring this year? Seems the answer, like much of the answers post-merger, is all over the place.

Me too. I still have my 2018 status. I have a vacation booked at a nice resort next weekend. Hope the status holds through that booking. It would make the most sense for status to roll over with start of their new Bonvoy system.

naumank Feb 4, 2019 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by jrb CO (Post 30728619)

Me too. I still have my 2018 status. I have a vacation booked at a nice resort next weekend. Hope the status holds through that booking. It would make the most sense for status to roll over with start of their new Bonvoy system.

Has anyone seen their annual (not LT) status updated by now?

caseminole Feb 25, 2019 2:42 pm

How can i check the expiration date of my elite status tier?

Trying to see how to do this either on the new Bonvoy App, or online.

It looks like Marriott extended my Titanium status for another year, but I just want to verify this

Red259 Feb 25, 2019 5:30 pm

When will my hotel status change

There is a lot of conflicting information out there, but I am trying to get a definitive answer. Pre-merger I was marriott gold based on past stays/challenges not credit card status. When the merger occurred I was raised back up to plat elite. When does this status expire? I have travel in April and October. My account currently reflects plat elite. One person says status expires in February 2019, another says March 1st and yet another says February 2020. Anyone know the answer because if I am dropping down to gold status then I need to reconsider what hotels I will use in April. Also, is there still the Marriott plat status match to United Silver post merger?

myperks Feb 25, 2019 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by Red259 (Post 30821519)
There is a lot of conflicting information out there, but I am trying to get a definitive answer. Pre-merger I was marriott gold based on past stays/challenges not credit card status. When the merger occurred I was raised back up to plat elite. When does this status expire? I have travel in April and October. My account currently reflects plat elite. One person says status expires in February 2019, another says March 1st and yet another says February 2020. Anyone know the answer because if I am dropping down to gold status then I need to reconsider what hotels I will use in April. Also, is there still the Marriott plat status match to United Silver post merger?

more likely then not March 1 is the status change date. If it doesn’t change there will an exploding thread on how it dilutes the platinum pool. Same if it does change with pitchforks yelling allegiance changed to Hilton. Please reconsider a different chain.

escapefromphl Feb 25, 2019 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by Red259 (Post 30821519)

When did you complete the challenge and when was the status supposed to expire per terms of challenge?

Red259 Feb 25, 2019 11:58 pm

Originally Posted by escapefromphl (Post 30821589)
When did you complete the challenge and when was the status supposed to expire per terms of challenge?

I did the challenge several years ago for plat and then had a soft landing to gold. If my status drops down will I lose the status benefits on bookings I have already made?

potm Feb 26, 2019 1:16 am

Originally Posted by Red259 (Post 30822370)
I did the challenge several years ago for plat and then had a soft landing to gold. If my status drops down will I lose the status benefits on bookings I have already made?

Yes, it depends on your status at the time of the stay, not the time of booking.
If you didn’t meet the requirements for platinum last year, your status should go down in the next month some time.

northernstar84 Feb 26, 2019 2:53 am

I finished the Marriott Platinum challenge in July. 2018
I have a confirmation e-mail from CS for the challenge, where it is written that status will be valid until 02/2020.

Marriott Platinum became Platinum Premier / Titanium. So I expect to be Titanium until 02/2020.

RogerD408 Feb 26, 2019 8:03 am

Originally Posted by Red259 (Post 30822370)

Many have reported status shown at check in being the same as when booked. IF there have been no changes to the reservation AND the property failed to refresh your booking, there is a good chance they will pony up benefits for your previous status. This can also work in reverse, in that if you bumped up in status they may not know it unless you do something to cause a refresh.

As for when your status will change, did you at least earn Gold/Plat during 2018? If so, your status should be good through Jan 2020. If you soft landed to Gold and have had no nights in 2018, then you should have dropped by the end of January this year. If you're still showing as Plat, it's fair to assume your status is at least good till Jan 2020. Now Marriott has been going through a lot of changes so they may still be in catch-up mode and run their new-year sweep at any time. I suggest hold tight and keep checking your account.

xar Feb 26, 2019 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by RogerD408 (Post 30670876)
The program year is Jan 1 - Dec 31, the status year runs until the end of January, So the earliest you should see a drop, if it happens, will be the beginning of February. I do believe Marriott still does the soft landings, so only one tier down a year if you have no qualifying status.

For "Soft Landings" does it mean the following if a member fails to re-qualify based on their current status?
  • Ambassador Elite drops to Titanium Elite
  • Titanium Elite drops to Platinum Elite
  • Platinum Elite drops to Gold Elite
  • Gold Elite drops to Silver Elite
  • Silver Elite drops to Normal Member
Thanks.

Red259 Feb 26, 2019 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by xar (Post 30826130)
For "Soft Landings" does it mean the following if a member fails to re-qualify based on their current status?
  • Ambassador Elite drops to Titanium Elite
  • Titanium Elite drops to Platinum Elite
  • Platinum Elite drops to Gold Elite
  • Gold Elite drops to Silver Elite
  • Silver Elite drops to Normal Member
Thanks.

Well it used to work that way but with all those new categories nobody can tell you what they will do in terms of future soft landings, unless some people have already started experiencing it.