FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Say Hello to Marriott Bonvoy, launches Feb 13, 2019 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1951304-say-hello-marriott-bonvoy-launches-feb-13-2019-a.html)

Antarius Jan 19, 2019 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by 3rdworldresident (Post 30675622)
their officail website.

Its still on Marriott.com and their website there shows nothing about it: https://www.marriott.com/hotels/trav...ijing-changan/

uxb Jan 19, 2019 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by Antarius (Post 30675546)
Source please? I haven't seen/heard anything about this.

​​​
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30673144-post89.html

yule_boy Jan 19, 2019 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K (Post 30664231)
The best part of this announcement is that hopefully my "wise and brilliant FT brethren" will cease forever the use of that worse-than-nails-on-a-chalkboard (but "oh, I think it is so cute") term "Sta****ott," ad vomitum.

Sorry, I think I was the first to use Starriott here. I liked it better than Marriwood. :p

Bonvoy it is from now on!

quinella66 Jan 19, 2019 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by CO-PLAT (Post 30662816)
Then this really makes no sense. In the real world, platinum is more rare and expensive than titanium.

I agree that it makes no sense, not only is titanium not really a precious metal but no one would intuitively guess that titanium is above platinum. They would have been better off using diamond like Hilton and Delta did to make it obvious that it is above platinum. I think platinum premier was a better name.

If they are into metal hardness, they can rename all levels: aluminum, iron, steel, titanium.

The worst aspect of the name titanium is what an earlier post said - if Plat is short for Platinum, then ....

Anyway, the name is really not that important, but Marriott spent an awful lot of money changing the level names again for no apparent reason ... why didn’t they just leave the levels as-is from August?

mahasamatman Jan 19, 2019 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by quinella66 (Post 30676213)
The worst aspect of the name titanium is what an earlier post said - if Plat is short for Platinum, then ....

Maybe people who can't pronounce three or four syllable words shouldn't be in a loyalty program?

dcstudent Jan 19, 2019 6:44 pm

I really could care less about what they call the program. I do wish they'd spend as much time/effort in fixing their IT issues (hotels still disappearing/reappearing during searches, no ability to search by price, no ability to search multiple rates at once, often giving the message "that information is unavailable at this time" when looking at future reservations/account activity, etc...) as they are in rolling out the new program.

CO-PLAT Jan 19, 2019 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by quinella66 (Post 30676213)

Wonderful. I'm now a Lifetime Bonvoy Tit.

Horace Jan 19, 2019 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by CO-PLAT (Post 30676554)
Wonderful. I'm now a Lifetime Bonvoy Tit.

Nah...

Think of yourself as a Lifetime Bonvoy Titan.

SPN Lifer Jan 20, 2019 2:30 am

Originally Posted by DenverBrian (Post 30664472)
I think one of the reasons the name sounds so...awful...is because it starts with a B and ends with a Y and has two different "o" sounds in it. I can't think of any brand that comes across so jarring in just two syllables.

Perhaps some Bonvoyageurs will solve that problem by pronouncing it BONE-voy.

Concerto Jan 20, 2019 2:36 am

I am a total stranger here, have not participated in SPG or Marriott, although I did have a brief moment with Marriott around 2008 which I converted immediately into Lufthansa miles. I found the program and the hotels so uninspiring and got so few miles on that occasion that I never used the account again and it got deleted, apparently.

The new name Bonvoy could inspire me to join up and become a member once again. Certainly, the name is not perfect and it jars just a little. But many things that later became great actually started out in an imperfect way. I don't like the sounds of all the CS problems, though, hope that aspect gets straightened out.

Let's face it, I was not a member of either, but I was interested enough to read this whole thread. We will see how it all develops.

scubadu Jan 20, 2019 7:19 am

Originally Posted by Concerto (Post 30677292)
The new name Bonvoy could inspire me to join up and become a member once again.

You would make a decision to join or not join a hotel loyalty program based on the marketing name of the program? Seriously? :confused:

Regards

swintec Jan 20, 2019 9:43 am

Originally Posted by Concerto (Post 30677292)
I found the program and the hotels so uninspiring

The new name Bonvoy could inspire me to join up and become a member once again.

What do you plan on doing? Projecting the logo and name on your living room wall and staring at it? A new name wont make the actual hotels any more inspiring to you.

Antarius Jan 20, 2019 11:53 am

Originally Posted by scubadu (Post 30677820)
You would make a decision to join or not join a hotel loyalty program based on the marketing name of the program? Seriously? :confused:

Regards

Given how many people are raging and ranting that they might leave due to Bonvoy, the opposite isn't that surprising.

The validity of making a program decision based on the name? That's still questionable.

Kacee Jan 20, 2019 12:15 pm

"Bonvoy" is just plain silly, and "Titanium" equally so. As were "World of Hyatt"and "Globalist." But the new program, like Hyatt's before, will ultimately be measured by the program benefits and how they're administered, not the stupid labels that some team of overpriced marketing consultants came up with.

And with respect to the program itself, at this point, Marriott introducing a new program name is like turning a garden house on a nuclear meltdown. Just not going to make any difference.

ethernal Jan 20, 2019 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer (Post 30675005)
It'll be a 777, so a mix of both. I wouldn't want to fly it if all the titanium bits were replaced with gold ;)

Technically the 777 has far less titanium by weight than a 787. The aluminum alloys used don't include much titanium at all, and titanium is used selectively in the airplane.

Why didn't go with Bonvoy Aluminium or Carbon Fiber? :rolleyes: