Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Academias Hotel, Autograph Collection, Athens, Greece [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2019, 11:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium

Opening April May '19. Category 5. Hotel website:

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/trav...ph-collection/

Located on the corner of Akadimias and Omirou Street, near all of Athens' landmarks, our Academia provides the ideal setting for harmonious interplay between intellectual creativity and a handful of leisure and business activities in the Greek capital.'

"Inspired by ancient Athenian wisdom and intellect, Academia of Athens is a luxurious city hotel, portraying a contemporary interpretation of Plato’s Academy blending the old and the new, which awakens all the senses, while combining bespoke facilities, with impeccable service and unique experiences.With 60 modern and stylish rooms in the heart of Athens’ most prestigious shopping district, Academia of Athens features world class contemporary architecture and exquisite interior design within walking distance from the Acropolis and all of Athens’ historic landmarks. Guests of Academia will enjoy an array of convenient amenities including our indoor pool, Plato Bar & Lounge and our rooftop restaurant with stunning views of the Acropolis. Guests of Academia of Athens hotel will find themselves immersed in the ideal setting for harmonious interplay between intellectual creativity and a handful of leisure and business activities while experiencing an elite level of customer service."
  • Aether Rooftop Bar, with stunning views of the Acropolis, is one of three dining options on-site for your convenience.
  • The Pnoe Wellness Center provides spa treatments that include elements and ingredients from ancient Greek nature such as argil, grapes, mint and aloe.
  • Experience our "Athenian for a Day Tour" where guests can spend the day becoming acquainted with the everyday life of the citizens of Athens.

Last edited by SkiAdcock; Apr 24, 2019 at 10:09 am
Old Jan 14, 2019, 2:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Interesting considering how many options we already have in Athens! I have a one night booked at both the Fresh (paid stay) and the New Hotel (award) for a night I need at the end of our Greece trip this summer. New Hotel seems to be a good use of points considering the reviews on TA. Will have to do some research on this place. Currently not accepting reservations even for June and I don't know what Category it will be. Since it is part of the Autograph Collection, it might be a good option since Platinum benefits at the Design Hotels don't typically include breakfast or any other real benefits. I don't normally pick my hotel based on the breakfast or lounge benefit but we also have a 5pm flight out of ATH on Emirates back to EWR so getting a late checkout will also be a big benefit.

Last edited by christianj; Jan 15, 2019 at 6:08 am
Old Jan 14, 2019, 3:26 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat. WOH Glob. SQ Gold
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Opening January '19. No category yet. Hotel website:

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/trav...ph-collection/

. . . where guests can spend the day becoming acquainted with the everyday life of the citizens of Athens.
Learning how to spray paint buildings? Good to see a new contemporary option.
gcashin, xerosum and Intl359Widget like this.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 6:11 am

If I was a betting man, I would guess that this is going to be a Category 6 hotel putting them at 50k per night right between all the other 35k hotels and the 60k GB and KG. If they go for 60k they will not get many award bookings in the beginning given the reputation of the GB and the KG.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 9:36 am

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Hyatt Explorist,, Delta Plat,
Delayed to March 2019.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 7:29 am

Considering the hotel is joining Bonvoy () in March I am surprised they still are not accepting reservations and that the hotel category is still not listed. Anyone know how far in advance of the opening this is usually done? I would think that if I was opening a hotel in the next couple of months that I would want to start selling rooms in advance.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 12:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by christianj
Considering the hotel is joining Bonvoy () in March I am surprised they still are not accepting reservations and that the hotel category is still not listed. Anyone know how far in advance of the opening this is usually done? I would think that if I was opening a hotel in the next couple of months that I would want to start selling rooms in advance.
Doesn't totally surprise me. As you note, given how close to supposed opening you'd think they'd open up inventory & post a category. Opening dates can be fluid, which may be one reason they're not doing it.

On a dif note - when I was on the 'find new hotels' part of MAR, there were a # - primarily int'l/ROW - that are opening either this month or next month that had nothing listed - not even a description of the property - on the home page. A # of those were in Asia, although not all.

Wondering if this property will hit the March date or if it will be longer, but do look forward to the first trip report.

Cheers.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 9:20 am

Revenue rates are now available starting July 1. Award bookings however are still not available even after that date.

UPDATE!! Revenue rates are now up for dates prior to July 1 BUT there are still no award options and I am getting the standard "hotel not accepting award reservations at this time" line that has been appearing more and more often under Marriott since the merger.

Last edited by christianj; Feb 20, 2019 at 6:26 am
Old Mar 8, 2019, 6:16 am

So I was told by the Bonvoy Elite line a couple of weeks ago that the hotel would declare their Award Category on 3/5....well that date has come and gone and still nothing! My nerves are really starting to wear thin with Marriott.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 11:41 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ti/LTP, Hilton Diamond, Sixt AC, Hertz PC
Now it says "Opening Soon Apr 2019"
Old Mar 16, 2019, 2:00 pm

Looks like this will be a Category 5, though points reservations still don't appear to be available. Debating between this property and the New Hotel for my September stay.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 6:23 am

Originally Posted by moos16
Looks like this will be a Category 5, though points reservations still don't appear to be available. Debating between this property and the New Hotel for my September stay.
I am actually surprised that now that they finally declared the award category that it ended up being a 5 instead of a 6! I was expecting them to try and see if they could get away with a Cat. 6 since the GB and the KG are both a 7 and the New Hotel, Semiramis, Marriott and Periscope are all a 5.

Award booking are now being accepted so you might want to try again! I just booked an award night for June and also have one booked for the New Hotel as well. Will see how the reviews are after the opening and decide how to proceed after that. From an elite perspective (I'm unsure if you have status or not based on your handle), you will get better recognition at the Autograph Collection properties than at Design Collection properties so might sway which hotel I end up picking in addition to the early reviews.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 11:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
I booked an award night here. Looks like a far better point value than the King George or GB, yet those are still two amazing hotels to consider.
Intl359Widget likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 1:38 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
I just booked for an award too. Late June. Will report back here with a review for sure!
Old Jun 7, 2019, 12:29 pm

I'm booked for one night at the end of June as well. Still holding a backup resi at the New Hotel in case anyone gives the hotel a bad review prior to my stay. So far there are only 2 TA reviews with one being horrible because a guest got relocated to the Marriott Athens due to some gas issues at the property. Understandably the guest was pissed due to the bad location of the Marriott. Other review is good. Keeping my eyes open to further TA reviews or maybe someone on FT will visit before my dates.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.