Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Hotels without Platinum "amenity" - legal or not?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hotels without Platinum "amenity" - legal or not?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2019, 6:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: tk gold, lh ftl, ab gold
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
There is no requirement that the "amenity" be anything other than breakfast or points.
There is.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 6:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hotelboy
No...you have to ask for the compensation if you ARE NOT OFFERED the welcome amenity.
Plus...be careful how you use the word legal. Yes...it is legal for you to not be offered a welcome amenity. There is no law that is being broken and no one is being hauled off in cuffs...unless you throw a hissy fit in which case I will call the cops, have you removed from my property, cancel your reservation, and not give you the $100.
Nope, That's not correct.
You have to ask for the compensation if you ARE NOT OFFERED the welcome amenity AT THE TIME OF CHECK IN.
5 minutes later doesn't count. That has been proven many times. Let's not make it even more confusing for people than it already is
Old Jan 10, 2019, 6:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I certainly think it's reasonable to demand the $100 when a high tier elite is walked from a confirmed reservation, but I just wouldn't behave this way regarding a minor amenity when the problem is immediately corrected unless the hotel has been unbelievably nasty about the request, such as hotelboy's policy of calling the police if a guest argues to receive published program benefits. [UA learned that it's a really bad strategy to call police to remove/arrest customers when there's a customer service issue.]
TerryK likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 10:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I certainly think it's reasonable to demand the $100 when a high tier elite is walked from a confirmed reservation, but I just wouldn't behave this way regarding a minor amenity when the problem is immediately corrected unless the hotel has been unbelievably nasty about the request, such as hotelboy's policy of calling the police if a guest argues to receive published program benefits. [UA learned that it's a really bad strategy to call police to remove/arrest customers when there's a customer service issue.]
Reasonable or not, that's Marriott's official policy. And definitely one of the reasons i choose Marriott over other hotels
Old Jan 10, 2019, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by igor82j
Reasonable or not, that's Marriott's official policy. And definitely one of the reasons i choose Marriott over other hotels
You mean trying to get $100 compensation for each stay?
Old Jan 10, 2019, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
This question has been asked many times since Marriott started the PAG and I don't think the terms have changed at all. The intent is for the property to offer a choice, failure to do so was considered a violation of the T&Cs and compensation was due. Many tried to skirt around it by assigning points as a default and claim they met the terms. In the early days that was not supported by MR and payment was made when the request was made before checking out. Today CSRs are more in support of the properties and most, if not all, will say it's up to the property to follow the T&Cs tough luck. Until Marriott finds their dentures and puts teeth into the program will we see any consistency by the properties following the rules.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 11:20 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
This thread makes me hope that the OP and others who think similarly take their leave and move to Hilton.
MDtR-Chicago and seat38a like this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I've never had Sheraton, Westin, or W, mention this mysterious amenity at check-in; they usually just confirm that I'm set up to receive points. I suppose at that point since they'd recognized my status for compliance purposes, I might, if they're not too busy, follow up with: "I noticed that the rules themselves say that we are entitled to a choice of breakfast, points, or a 'local amenity'." What would be the amenity choice for your property?"
Old Jan 10, 2019, 11:30 am

I do get annoyed by the hotels that don't preemptively offer a choice of amenity, but it never seems worth the hassle to fight for the $100. I agree with others that it is a failing on the part of Marriott to have the hotel be the arbitrator on whether or not they've lived up to the terms and conditions.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
I think the whole point of guarantees that far exceed the cost of the amenity is to give incentive to the hotels to comply. So I don't try to punish a poor tired clerk who just forgets one time, but when a hotel like the OP's, says "This particular hotel at first insisted they didn't offer amenities at all. ", that's exactly the time to insist on the cash.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 12:00 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by Zelucifer
Sorry, I was referring to the OP asking... he doesn't seem like the type to care.
No offense taken. I agree with you.

There is a lot of confusion, misinterpretation or even lies. This particular hotel at first insisted they didn't offer amenities at all. After letting them know that they MUST, they immediately offered me an amenity (which in this case is wine and some kind of snack).

And yes, i will insist on the compensation every time. Why not? This is an official Marriott guarantee. If the hotels don't comply with the T&C, they have to compensate. In ex-Starwood hotels, the non-compliance with the Platinum welcome gift has been 100% in the recent months. No reason not to claim 100$ for every stay. The situation may be a bit different from hotel to hotel, though: sometimes, no choice is given at all, sometimes, the given choice is incorrect. Hence the original question.

What i found out the hard way, one has to record the conversation at check-in. Otherwise, it might be hard to proof what has been offered at check-in.
Why not? How about the golden rule of treating others as you would wish to be treated. I checked into a Sheraton in South America a few days ago with a good lounge. The FD told me at check-in, "you want points, right?"

Should I have recorded that? Should I have asked for the $100? If I wanted breakfast or was interested in the amenity, I'm an adult, plats are familiar with the program, and I can ask. No need to play "gotcha" and get him in trouble,

Plus, while I was there, they sent a bottle of wine and a cheese plate anyway.
TerryK, Horace and bhrubin like this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 12:57 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, United Silver, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by bhrubin
This thread makes me hope that the OP and others who think similarly take their leave and move to Hilton.
No...why would you want them to subject a poor Hilton desk clerk to this treatment:
What i found out the hard way, one has to record the conversation at check-in. Otherwise, it might be hard to proof what has been offered at check-in.
Sometimes I'm embarrassed to be part of humanity.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 2:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by RogerD408
This question has been asked many times since Marriott started the PAG and I don't think the terms have changed at all. The intent is for the property to offer a choice, failure to do so was considered a violation of the T&Cs and compensation was due. Many tried to skirt around it by assigning points as a default and claim they met the terms. In the early days that was not supported by MR and payment was made when the request was made before checking out. Today CSRs are more in support of the properties and most, if not all, will say it's up to the property to follow the T&Cs tough luck. Until Marriott finds their dentures and puts teeth into the program will we see any consistency by the properties following the rules.
Then there's this, which any general manager who wants to game the system would invoke: "Our local policy is not to follow [insert provision here]."

Look, how many times do I have to say it? Marriott's real customers are the owners. The loyalty program is a marketing gimmick with the veneer of rules and regulations. The guests, aka us, are merely the product Marriott peddles to owners to get the management contract or franchise agreement over Hyatt and Hilton.
Mister Nice likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 2:40 pm

Programs: DL DM

Do you ask them if they are agree to you recording their conversation at check-in or do you just go ahead and record without their permission?
Old Jan 10, 2019, 4:10 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by cre95
Do you ask them if they are agree to you recording their conversation at check-in or do you just go ahead and record without their permission?
And speaking of legal ... not sure what country or state this is in but ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.