Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Make a Green Choice (MAGC) Decline Housekeeping Discussion Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2019, 12:22 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Had a 2 night stay recently and after getting into the room there was a plastic sign to hang on the outside of the door promising 250 pts if its hung by 2am and declining housekeeping each day besides checkout day, win a res of a min of 2 nights. Well I hung it and wasnt bothered at all. Checking out I asked about it and was told it would post with the stay credit (500 welcome pts).

Well it didnt and now have to chase it down, was just wondering if thats the case with most hotels that you have to chase after it or do they usually post when the stay posts, the FD said they wrote it down and it will get passed onto the mgr, hopefully it will get done and I will give it a few biz days if still not there then CS
Old Jan 9, 2019, 6:48 am

While I have tried to remain patient with Marriott post-transition, this is the issue that makes me lose it. I elect for this every single stay and I would estimate it posts CORRECTLY 20% of the time at best (even though I tell them at check-in, then put the hanger tag on the door and sometimes even remind them at check-out if I don't do automated check-out).

I then have to contact Marriott to add these points which I do most of the time on principle but have had a few where I am just too busy/tired to chase down 250 points on a lower tier, quick stay. Marriott needs to fix this!!!
Old Jan 9, 2019, 7:10 am

Programs: UA GOLD MM,WN CP A+list, HH Gold,MR LT Titanium
Whenever I make the Green Choice,I almost always need to follow up to get the points.

The other Marriott offering that is a major failure is the request feature on the app. It is a rare stay when the requests are actually honored. A few properties have told me that they are unable to even see that the requests have been placed.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 6:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Just had a stay, and the front desk agent said that there are no more points for MaGC, even though the hang tag said there were. Another MOLA?
Old Feb 20, 2019, 7:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott LTT & Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
I always have to follow up as well.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 7:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Bonvoy titanium
How much do these green choices actually help the environment vs save the hotel the cost of cleaning the room?

if this really a green choice or money saving tactic for the hotel? From a labor perspective alone it saves money, less rooms means they can have fewer staff and pay what staff they have less because they work fewer hours. Odds being the housekeeping are paid hourly
Old Feb 20, 2019, 7:51 pm

Programs: AA (Lifetime Gold, 1MM),UA(Premier Silver), Hilton(Diamond), Marriott (LTT), Hertz (PC)
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Just had a stay, and the front desk agent said that there are no more points for MaGC, even though the hang tag said there were. Another MOLA?
I wonder if that is property-specific? If so they should simply remove the hang tag from every room.
I just got the points posted for stays in the last 3 weeks at two different properties. I did have to complain through Marriott to get the first one posted, though.
Given MAGC was one major complaint that labor unions had during the strike, I would not be surprised the properties affected by the strike might have stopped MAGC. But they should really remove the hang tag if so.
When I travel by myself I always make my own bed and reuse the towels. I don't make a mess and always throw away my trash outside.
Therefore I have been declining housekeeping long before MAGC's existence. To me I only need it once every 3-5 days, if I really stay for that long.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 7:56 pm

Programs: AA (Lifetime Gold, 1MM),UA(Premier Silver), Hilton(Diamond), Marriott (LTT), Hertz (PC)
Originally Posted by Nuhusky
How much do these green choices actually help the environment vs save the hotel the cost of cleaning the room?

if this really a green choice or money saving tactic for the hotel? From a labor perspective alone it saves money, less rooms means they can have fewer staff and pay what staff they have less because they work fewer hours. Odds being the housekeeping are paid hourly
I guess they save money by having less housekeepers overall and saving energy both. If you pay attention even if you do not MAGC they also encourage you to reuse your towels by hanging them after use.
It is true that replacing the towels cost a lot of water, labor, and energy. (all of which cost $$) Personally I always decline housekeeping, MAGC or not. I like to minimize people entering my room. It does not take much time to make my own bed.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 11:52 pm

If the hotels were serious about asking us to MAGC ( as opposed to a strategy to reduce labour costs), then they might contemplate a few measures themselves, eg, ditch the ridiculous single use shampoo/conditioner/shower gel in favour of the permanent in-shower dispensers; also eliminate plastic straws and provide water in rooms in glass bottles.
I take my own products, up to the 100ml limit, because I don’t like the single use items. I activate the DND on arrival , regardless of MAGC points or not.
badlander45 likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 12:55 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Emirates Silver, Virgin Silver, Marriott Titanium
For my recent stay I couldn't see that option on the online check in but got offered it when I picked up my room key. Did notice though that I only got 250 points rather than the 500 I was expecting to be from when I took it before.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 1:12 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
A couple of things:

* Green choice under MAR is not for every brand, regardless of what the mobile app etc says. It's only for a few brands.
* I think there's a dif btwn points on limited service vs. full-service (aka, limited service 250 & full-service 500).

Cheers.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 7:30 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Nuhusky
There's no reason they can't do both.

Originally Posted by paolo64
ditch the ridiculous single use shampoo/conditioner/shower gel in favour of the permanent in-shower dispensers
I love the uproar in FT every time a hotel does this, or changes from some "designer" brand to a more environmentally responsible brand. If the war on liquids ever ends, I would support hotels should just stopping supply of any of those items.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Indeed, Make A Green Choice results primarily in more "green" in Marriott's pocket.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 9:49 pm

Is it still limited to 3 days only?
Old Mar 2, 2019, 6:39 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite (Lifetime Gold), United 1K
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
A couple of things:

* Green choice under MAR is not for every brand, regardless of what the mobile app etc says. It's only for a few brands.
* I think there's a dif btwn points on limited service vs. full-service (aka, limited service 250 & full-service 500).

Cheers.
They need to fix this. Beyond stupid to offer it during Mobile check-in only for them to tell me it's "not available." Happened this week at a Residence Inn.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.