Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Corporate Travel No Longer Eligbile for Points???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Corporate Travel No Longer Eligbile for Points???

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2019, 5:14 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by Brucemcdou
While I agree that some companies may do this, the most frequent travelers at many companies are the more senior executives/staff who would scream if they didn't get "free" points they can use to take their (our) families on vacation. So doubt that such extreme penny pinching would be too widespread.

Same thing with the "basic economy" fares offered by airlines the past few years. My company doesn't force me to use them, and even flags it (on Concur) if they're even shown as an option with "are you sure you want to book this?"
I understand and don't disagree with your statement in the current economic environment. I would anticipate the next economic downturn to be like the last economic downturn - companies look to cut costs wherever they can. If they can save $10 per hotel night, it would add up quickly. If senior execs are given a choice between losing the perks and some staff layoffs, I suspect most would opt for losing the perks. Senior tend to be older, and in economic downturns, it's usually tougher for an older laid off worker to find a new job.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 5:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Egencia, Concur or any of the lesser known compliance programs are also subject to policy determinations made by the customer, e.g. employer.

Many employers require that the corporate portal, which is monitored by Concur or its cousins, be used. While one might be able to call a property and book directly, doing so may be a policy violation.

In addition to the reasons above, Concur can also feed data directly into most major accounting software, making accounting for travel a lot cheaper and easier for the employer.

If your employer doesn't care, so be it. But, don't be surprised if that becomes a requirement.

As to rates which are stripped of benefits, that is of course a touchy area. But, a large enough customer might have the market power to force it.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 5:46 pm

When I used to travel regularly and worked for one of the largest companies in the world, most rates allowed for points to be earned and benefits worked but there were some pre-negotiated properties and events where that was all stripped and no one could earn points individually nor take advantage of their status. Someone had said that the person arranging the booking can collect all the points and some times the company will take the points, save them, and use them towards bookings elsewhere (I never confirmed that though) but I think the main reason is to get the lowest rate possible and not having to give out points saves some $$$.
RogerD408 likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 5:56 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by TBD
*queue the discussion on NDC
That also popped into my head as I was reading the post.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 6:39 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by mysterym
When I used to travel regularly and worked for one of the largest companies in the world, most rates allowed for points to be earned and benefits worked but there were some pre-negotiated properties and events where that was all stripped and no one could earn points individually nor take advantage of their status. Someone had said that the person arranging the booking can collect all the points and some times the company will take the points, save them, and use them towards bookings elsewhere (I never confirmed that though) but I think the main reason is to get the lowest rate possible and not having to give out points saves some $$$.
Airline crew rates are stripped of points/stay credits and most of the same hotels allow crews to book rooms at those rates, but they are also stripped of all benefits.

When I travel on my dime, I book through the hotel's website to ensure points/stay credits/elite benefits. Based on pricing, I'll either pay cash or use points.
I've been paying cash $85/night at SFO airport Hyatt Regency and $96 at SFO airport Westin over the holidays. There will be more than a few nights I'll need to book on points. That's why I always save points with Marriott, Hilton, Hyatt, and IHG. There are times when one chain will have points availability when the others do not and rates are prohibitively high..
Old Jan 8, 2019, 1:17 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, United Platinum Premier, AF/KLM Platinum
Happoened to me as well. Booked through Concur, did not get my stays. Contacted the Sheraton, and apparently in Concur it was booked through booking.com (which showed up as the cheapest rate and thus preferred). Very annoying, as I did not know that at that moment.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 1:39 am

Programs: FB Plat, IHG RA Spire, TK Elite+, HH Diamond, LH SEN, Marriott Titanium
Deleted

Last edited by Lewis42; Jan 8, 2019 at 1:41 am Reason: Accidental duplicate
Old Jan 8, 2019, 6:29 am

Originally Posted by Thysk
Happoened to me as well. Booked through Concur, did not get my stays. Contacted the Sheraton, and apparently in Concur it was booked through booking.com (which showed up as the cheapest rate and thus preferred). Very annoying, as I did not know that at that moment.
I imagine it's just a matter of time before most companies program their Concur systems to check booking.com and other discount websites where points do not accrue. And then the company will blame Concur for point/stay credit stripping.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 7:11 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, United Silver, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Are you pretty sure to get points as long as the booking shows up in your Marriott account before your stay? My husband has to use Concur, and this adds another detail he'll need to check when booking hotels. . He didn't have any problems in 2018, but he just booked some 2019 travel and all the upcoming stays are showing up in his Hilton account so I think he's good. (I realize this is a Marriott thread...)
Old Jan 8, 2019, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by ehallison
Are you pretty sure to get points as long as the booking shows up in your Marriott account before your stay? My husband has to use Concur, and this adds another detail he'll need to check when booking hotels. . He didn't have any problems in 2018, but he just booked some 2019 travel and all the upcoming stays are showing up in his Hilton account so I think he's good. (I realize this is a Marriott thread...)
IF the rez shows in your account then it's a pretty good bet credit will post but until it happens there is no guarantee. From the posts I've seen the rate discloses if an OTA is being booked so that is the best way to find out. Given the employer gets to configure the company policy used in Concur, I'm not sure if asking if allowing the OTA was an error. I can't see a company blocking the use of lower rates when available and I may want to be careful of always selecting a higher rate just to get credit. It is very reasonable to keep costs low when possible.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 7:50 am

Programs: AA PLAT, SPG PLAT
I’ve noticed that concur changed a few months ago and added more options next to the room and bed size for example to book it with roomIT and other travel platforms. For me it’s highlighted that this rate does not include any benefits and is usually cheaper / same price than the agreed corporate rate.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 9:46 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Plat Pro, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic 3, Amtrak Select
I've been a long time user of Egencia for corporate travel. I've only ever received stay/night credits when it was an "Egencia Preferred Rate" or if my company had a negotiated rate with that hotel. Any other type of rate doesn't earn points. I'd estimate for me, only about 20-30% of all SPG hotels are eligible to earn points on my version of Egencia, as the rest come up as "Expedia" (who owns Egencia) when checking in to a hotel. No Marriott hotels have ever earned points for me in Egencia. My biggest concern about the merger was all of the SPG hotels in Egencia stop earning points.. and so far, many of my "go to hotels" (the ones I knew that earned points in cities I travel to often) are no longer displaying points eligible rates. I hope this a policy that doesn't extend to other corporate engines as well.

FWIW, about 70-80% of Hyatts in my version of Egencia are eligible to earn points, which has made the switch to Hyatt easier
Old Jan 8, 2019, 3:13 pm
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
Originally Posted by mysterym
Even though the rate may be the same and it may be going on the same corporate card, there are reasons companies require use of their booking service... for example, crisis management (tracking traveler data)
A thousand times this. You may not care about getting support if there's a riot/volcano/ebola/coup/whatever while you travel, but your CEO likely has a different view. Companies are morally (and sometimes legally) obligated to care for you while you travel. It isn't your money and dodging this policy is not in your best interest.

Originally Posted by uppereastsider
FWIW, about 70-80% of Hyatts in my version of Egencia are eligible to earn points, which has made the switch to Hyatt easier
Perfect illustration of my point. These loyalty programs exist to influence travelers. The minute Marriott feels a loss of that influence, they will be forced to adjust course. How they do it is anyone's guess, but it's absolutely in their interest because points "makes the switch to ___ easier". At best, this is a programming error from your travel team. At worst, this is a temporary problem.

I don't believe for a second that a hotel ever said "we'd prefer to give you (the company) $5 off rather than the opportunity to get your travelers back through a loyalty program". Loyalty programs are data goldmines for hotels (and airlines). They're also a source of profit.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 10:25 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, IHG Gold, *A Gold
I just went to login to my Concur portal to make another booking and this popped up:
Old Jan 8, 2019, 11:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
The "Great News" sounds like the typical frequent * program's "Enhancements"
goodeats21 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.