Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

To Mattress Run or Not to Mattress Run...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2018, 2:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference

...that is the question. Long story short, I had a trip planned to Australia and Japan (I would presently be in Cairns if that had come to pass) that went out the window for various and sundry reasons. Nothing too horrid blew up...except for my anticipated status with Starriott. I'm presently sitting at 63 nights posted with one outstanding and probably one or two nights over X-mas coming. Throw in the five for making Platinum and I need about four "forced" nights at a Marriott.

As a practical, pragmatic question...setting aside the points earned from the stay in question (and I should be able to stack a brand or two out of this if I handle it well), how much should I consider as a "reasonable" amount to spend on 4-5 "useless" nights (either in cash or points) in exchange for the "bump up" to Platinum Premier? For reference, there's at least one Starriott in my area posting rates <$70/night, and at an entirely different hotel I can get five nights for 50k points (and, IIRC, get a few of those points back on declining housekeeping).
Old Dec 8, 2018, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
...that is the question. Long story short, I had a trip planned to Australia and Japan (I would presently be in Cairns if that had come to pass) that went out the window for various and sundry reasons. Nothing too horrid blew up...except for my anticipated status with Starriott. I'm presently sitting at 63 nights posted with one outstanding and probably one or two nights over X-mas coming. Throw in the five for making Platinum and I need about four "forced" nights at a Marriott.

As a practical, pragmatic question...setting aside the points earned from the stay in question (and I should be able to stack a brand or two out of this if I handle it well), how much should I consider as a "reasonable" amount to spend on 4-5 "useless" nights (either in cash or points) in exchange for the "bump up" to Platinum Premier? For reference, there's at least one Starriott in my area posting rates <$70/night, and at an entirely different hotel I can get five nights for 50k points (and, IIRC, get a few of those points back on declining housekeeping).
That's a tough call. I am just a few nights (<20) away from making LTP is BOTH programs, but once they decided the combined nights will count, no longer an issue. What is your travel expectations for next year? The year is quickly coming to an end so getting in those final five nights might not be so easy. Until MPG trains the properties that PP is higher than P (some MR properties thought it was the other way around), I don't think you are going to see much of a difference in on-site benefits. The added points could add up, but not that much. If it was me, I'd go for it, but then I like getting the brass ring when I can.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 10:53 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LTP, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, United Silver, Delta Silver
I recently paid $62/night including taxes on a mattress run. You could always do one Rewarding Event if you havent taken advantage of that this year!
Old Dec 8, 2018, 1:22 pm
formerly leemaj

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium and LTP, Hyatt Globalist, UA Gold, SW Companion Pass
Maybe you could do a weekend trip somewhere not too far away? That way you can enjoy the room and location a bit. Just book 4 nights and leave after 2
Old Dec 8, 2018, 1:30 pm

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl.

If I am reading this correctly, 5 of you nights would come from choosing elite nights. If that is true, I would add the value of the 5 SNAs that you would be foregoing to the total cost of qualifying.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 3:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Honestly, I assign a null value to the SNAs. Getting a suite rarely does much for me... an upgrade the other night was actually a mild inconvenience since it put me in a suite that was in the back end of Beyond. The free night is basically a "pull my ... out of the fire" card that I value at about 200 to 250, and I do expect to have at least 40 nights "programmed" for next year.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 4:22 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire, UA Silver, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
The meat in Marriott is to be found at the 50-night Platinum level, the additional monetised benefits of Platinum Premier are really just the 2.5 extra points per $.

Lets say youre staying 70 paid nights next year at $100 per night, then your extra PP points are 2.5x100x70=17,500 points. I value Marriott points at a US cent each, so that’s $175. Of course getting to 75 nights this year also gets you a 40,000 point certificate that in all likelihood will redeem at 25,000 or 35,000 points, use it in a year or it vanishes. Let’s say that’s worth the same again. That’s $350 of value. I hence wouldn’t pay 50,000 points to get back just 17,500 plus that time-limited certificate and since money in my pocket is worth more than points in my account I’d not want to spend more than $300 to get there. Now if my average rate was $200/nt I’d be tempted to pay somewhat more than $300 on the mattress run, but if I was anticipating less paid stays then I’d be adjusting downwards.

I hasten to add that the calculation for mattress running to get to 50 night Plat is a very different animal. A full service night in a $200 European Marriott garners free lounge access worth ~$30, 1000 welcome points worth $10 and 2.5 extra points per $ over Gold worth another $5. That totals $45. In just one night! As a 95% Full Service stayer I would certainly pay a $500 mattress run to keep that, since I’d get my investment back in just 12 nights!
IAlwaysCall and rny321 like this.

Last edited by BrightlyBob; Dec 9, 2018 at 2:12 am
Old Dec 8, 2018, 4:39 pm

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
Marriott is a program that seems beyond rescue at the moment and in my experience even with as high a status as you can get and 150 nights a year they really don't care. I see nothing changing with this and as such I would invest nothing in ataining the extra status as I don't trust them to give you the benefits your meant to get or not devalue it at some point next year.

More than likely Marriott will not live upto your expectations of the effort to get the extra status so just save your money.
UA-NYC and tfong007 like this.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 6:01 pm
Original Poster

It looks like my sister took care of this for me...due to Xmas shuffling, I'll be in DC for 3-4 nights organically at this point, and DC at that time is cheap. Two nights added to that is worth the cert alone.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Glad something came through for you. I'm actually in the exact same boat (sitting at 65 nights).

Based on this year it doesn't seem worth it but if they change the name it may actually lead to more discernable difference between Plat and PP/Titanium in which case PP/Titanium is more attractive.

Plus the free night for 75 could likely be redeemed for about the same amount as the cost for the extra 3-4 nights (cheap corporate rates near our office).
Old Dec 8, 2018, 11:02 pm
Original Poster

And that's the thing: I realized that I've got a night in March in Toronto where I should get close to US$300 out of the free night (this is before I think I'll have a free CC night...this is a "downtown hotel" night in a week that's inexplicably expensive), so the math is particularly good. The extra 2.5 points are gravy (probably an extra few thousand airline miles on already extant spend) but otherwise that's the general calculation. Getting to about 10 airline miles per dollar spent is just nice.

All of this being said, thank you all very much for the input and advice.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 8:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Duke787
Glad something came through for you. I'm actually in the exact same boat (sitting at 65 nights).

Based on this year it doesn't seem worth it but if they change the name it may actually lead to more discernable difference between Plat and PP/Titanium in which case PP/Titanium is more attractive.

Plus the free night for 75 could likely be redeemed for about the same amount as the cost for the extra 3-4 nights (cheap corporate rates near our office).
Have you done a meeting, I mean rewarding event, this year yet?
Old Dec 9, 2018, 9:01 pm
Original Poster

I haven't done a meeting. I was given to understand that the meeting thing is now a single-use Potion of Status Healing, so I'm trying to keep that in my back pocket. Otherwise, yes, I would totally have used it to schedule a D&D game or something similar.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 9:37 pm

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
I haven't done a meeting. I was given to understand that the meeting thing is now a single-use Potion of Status Healing, so I'm trying to keep that in my back pocket. Otherwise, yes, I would totally have used it to schedule a D&D game or something similar.
If you do a meeting, it might be good to do that sooner rather than later. Remember, the meetings that were held before August 18th, but posted after August 18th, were processed differently. Since the rules are changing now, it could be better for the nights from the meeting to post before December 31, and sometimes it can take a few weeks for the nights to post.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 10:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jeanie
If you do a meeting, it might be good to do that sooner rather than later. Remember, the meetings that were held before August 18th, but posted after August 18th, were processed differently. Since the rules are changing now, it could be better for the nights from the meeting to post before December 31, and sometimes it can take a few weeks for the nights to post.
To be clear, my read (which might be wrong) is that the meeting offer is now a total one-time use item, not once per year (or subject to indefinite use) so my plan was to hold it for a future year where Platinum was at risk. If it can be done annually, I can make a phone call somewhere.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.