Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

W Dubai - The Palm, UAE [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2018, 1:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium

Hotel website. Cat 7. Opening Dec '18

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/trav...ubai-the-palm/

"From 350 guest rooms and suites with uninterrupted views and dreamy amenities to the go-to glow and glamour of AWAY® Spa, the first Escape in the Middle East redefines city getaways: here, you can be in the center of the action without being the center of attention. Set your scene with insider access to sizzling W Happenings on the WET® deck and SoBe rooftop, or elevate epicurean encounters at celebrity chef destination restaurants Torno Subito and Akira Back. Fill up on golden sunshine on the crystalline white sands of our beach – the best on the Palm, a private playground for exhilarating water sports or just basking in year-round summertime fun.

Located on the west crescent of the iconic Palm Jumeirah, this serene escape facilitates mixing and mingling between the city and the sea."
Old Dec 2, 2018, 10:59 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Doesn't seem bookable yet… will they actually open this month? I'm looking for somewhere to spend over a NYE stay and this would be perfect, but I'm not sure I want to take the risk of something going wrong with the opening.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 11:13 pm

Programs: Emirates Gold, Delta Gold, Bonvoy Plat
You can book from February 1st onwards
however there is no points booking available at any date even though the base category (“wonderful “) is available...
”We’re sorry. This property is not taking redemption bookings at this time. You can either book a cash reservation or search for another property.”
is this “ok”?
Old Jan 31, 2019, 8:39 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
Opening today, heading over shortly as the opening guest! Will report back on the property.

khabah
Old Feb 1, 2019, 12:49 am

Realized a longtime dream of mine and checked in as the first guest! Some feedback:
  • The hotel is STUNNING. I'd never been on the Palm before and was worried that the location would be a bit far-flung, but the designers have maximized it and created a place with incredible 360-degree views of the Dubai skyline, the Palm and the open water beyond.
  • I was very warmly welcomed and offered a cold towel as I entered, provided my passport to the reception and was whisked away for an in-room check-in.
  • Plat status was acknowledged, and I was upgraded from a Wonderful Room to a gorgeous Cool Corner Suite. Separate living room with the biggest in-room bar I've seen yet, a dining room and couch. Bedroom has a two-person shower, bathtub across from the king-sized bed, separate changing area and water closet. There's a half-bathroom off the entrance, and a giant balcony overlooking the back of the Crescent towards open water.
  • Open restaurants are Liv [breakfast/all-day], Akira Back and the Wet Deck. Massimo Bottura's Torno Subito is very nearly ready as is the rooftop SoBe and both should open shortly.
  • There is a beautiful series of pools with seating pods built into the pools, an adults-only pool and outdoor zone, kid's pool and 400 meters of private beach. The Away Spa is also up and running; I believe FIT [the gym] is too.
  • Staff are phenomenal - a very diverse group from South America to the Commonwealth of Independent States and everywhere in between, and they're all extremely friendly, super-excited to be open and proud to be working here.
I'm so glad the Habtoor City dumps are out of the system because they were truly terrible, and this W makes that former one look like a total dive. All in all, this is a phenomenal property properly befitting the W brand, and a great addition to Dubai.

Pictures and a full review to follow.

khabah
Old Feb 1, 2019, 9:11 am

I wonder if this place will become a Category 8 once March comes along.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 9:49 am

If only \"yes\" could be spelled with a \"W\"

W Dubai - The Palm

Map| 2 Reviews | 100% Recommended

W Dubai - The Palm

West Crescent Palm Jumeirah Dubai, AE

If only "yes" could be spelled with a "W" (5 Photos)

W Dubai - The Palm

Realizing my childhood dream of being a ‘first guest’ at a new hotel, I moved schedules and plans in order to be in place for the opening of W Dubai - The Palm, the brand’s second crack at a Dubai outpost.

The W is located on the outer West Crescent of the Palm, making it a bit of a drive from the key hubs of Dubai including Downtown/Burj Khalifa and the Jumeirah Beach Residence areas, but as far locations go, it makes for a stunning 360-degree view of everything from the Palm, Dubai Marina skyline [and even Dubai when the haze gives way] and open water beyond the property. It might seem sequestered, but the hotel is a destination unto itself and connections to the rest of the city are extremely easy.

Dubai International Airport [DXB] is approximately 30 minutes away by car, give or take depending on the city’s choking traffic.

Entrance/Lobby

Arriving just past 10 AM, I pulled into the five-story hotel’s beautiful driveway and porte-cochère where the W’s characteristic young staff were waiting to guide cars in. Luggage collected, I was ushered into the full-height atrium lobby and immediately offered a cool towel, welcomed by more peppy staff and led to the reception [‘Welcome Desk’] for check-in.

The lobby is gorgeous, filled with modern touches such as colorful furniture, cuboid steel racks designed to echo the endless construction of Dubai, an atrium punctuated by small windows recalling the fortresses of decades past and a beautiful chandelier with hundreds of illuminated glass cubes [fun fact: the metal foundation of the chandelier is designed off the visual soundwave of the pronunciation of ‘W’]. It’s all very dramatic and on par with the excitement of the W brand aesthetic, only with more gold for bling-bling-tastic Dubai.

Upon recognition of my elite status with Marriott, I was offered to complete my check-in process in my room with one of the friendly welcome agents, and led up to the room.

IMG_4408.jpg

Room

All elevators to guest floors are by keycard access only, adding for an extra layer of security. Guards are also on standby on all floors to ensure that no shenanigans/excessive partying take place.

I was upgraded to a Cool Corner Suite, which, as the name implies, is on the corner of the building and very, very cool indeed.

The suite is massive - they vary from 146-199 square meters [1735-1177 square feet] due to the idiosyncrasies of the building’s fluid architecture, but the space is truly lovely. The corridors off the elevators are dark and moody with black and rainbow carpets, doors are jet black and illuminated by a streak of white LEDs. Upon entry into the suite, an alcove with doors leading to the bedroom and half-bathroom were to the left while a short corridor led to the living room. A large space flooded by natural light from floor-to-ceiling windows, it features a curved couch, a curved wall in multicolor mosaics, 55-inch television, dining table for four and the largest in-room bar I’ve seen yet, with tons of counter space, a built-in sink, two fridges containing luxuries such as multiples wines and Champagnes, while drawers contained the W-signature Munchie Box snacks and more bottles of top-shelf liquor were positioned on the gold racks atop the counters. A separate table and bucket were located next to the bar for those of you inclined to fill them with ice and truly party down. The overall color scheme is sultry - black, purple, red, orange - and it works.

The bedroom, located off the entry alcove, is a spacious open-plan room with the separate WC [containing toilet, bidet and the Middle East-notorious ‘bum gun’] and shower area to the left [double-vanity sinks and a shower with two separate hand-held wands and double rain-shower heads - truly a shower for two!], a dressing area with three closets, luggage rack and dressing table on the right, and the sleeping ahead. This area was furnished with a king-sized bed, television and a bathtub right across from the bed. The gigantic balcony, overlooking the open waters of the Persian Gulf and equipped with daybed, two lounge chairs, two additional chairs and small table, is accessible from the bedroom. [My one caveat of the entire suite is that balcony access is only from the bedroom.]

Toiletries are full-sized amenities by W-standard Bliss. Wi-fi is provided on a complimentary basis to guests who book through Marriott’s official channels and members of their loyalty program.

IMG_4301.JPGIMG_4305.JPGIMG_4310.JPG

Dining

I was offered breakfast at LIV, the all-day restaurant. The space itself is beautiful, with high ceilings, floor-to-ceiling windows and doors that opened to the ground-level terrace and outdoor seating. Beautifully decorated with green-and-black furniture inside and multi-colored metallic furniture outside, it was a beautiful space to wander through. The breakfast spread was impeccable and varied, offering several stations containing salads/greens, made-to-order eggs, egg accompaniments [i.e. baked beans and sautéed mushrooms, but also pinto beans and mac and cheese!], Indian specialties and desserts. The quality of all the food was exceptional, ingredients were fresh and service was professional.

While at the pool, I ordered drinks off the WET Deck menu, and appreciated the staff’s flexibility at making me a drink off the menu; I had a great Aperol Spritz that I wish never bottomed out! Now if only I could go back and try that tofu and buckwheat soba I had my eye on…

I checked out SoBe on the hotel’s fifth-floor rooftop. It’s a stunning space decorated in graffiti by a Dubai-based Egyptian artist, has pinball machines and exceptional views of the Palm and Gulf from its open terrace. It also has a fantastic, Instagram-worthy daily ‘Sunset Ritual’ which is equal parts dramatic and pagan, but again, it just works. Way to get the guests involved!

The hotel has a restaurant by snowboarder-turned-restauranteur Akira Back which I didn’t get the chance to dine at, and the soon-to-open Torno Subito by Michelin-starred legend Massimo Bottura.

Leisure

The hotel has thirteen pools, offered in the form of the adults-only WET Deck and twelve other pools staggered on three descending tiers. The pools go up to 1.1 meters [3.6 feet] deep, so they’re only really made for you to flaunt your glistening six pack, designer bikini or pose with your drinks while taking endless selfies. There are plenty of sun loungers dotted throughout including some submerged in the pools themselves, while beautiful pods built into the pools are provided to those who pay for them [outside and in-house guests included]. A 400-meter private beach is additionally available for guests.

The hotel has a spacious FIT gym [which my fitness-averse organic form didn’t entertain] and AWAY Spa with separate men’s and women’s facilities. The men’s facilities contained lockers, three changing/grooming stations and little cubicles containing one changing room, two toilets and two showers. If there are more than two guests using the facilities, you’ll find yourself waiting in a very intimate space for something to free up…

Beyond the changing areas was a lovely steam room, spacious sauna and an experience shower. A plunge pool/Jacuzzi is shared by both men and women, and is a spacious tub with plenty of room for a few dippers. Treatments are also available, but I didn’t take advantage of any during my stay.

IMG_4339.JPG

Facilities

The hotel has several ballrooms and meeting facilities as part of its offerings, and on my/the hotel’s second day [of operations], there were already meetings taking place and many people pouring through inquiring about weddings and private functions!

Service

Service is excellent, especially when considering that I was staying on opening day and the hotel was receiving an inordinately high amount of traffic and interest. While teething pains such as requests taking a while to fulfill [i.e. asking for a check], guards who don’t fully know the layout of the grounds or fire alarms going off did happen on a few occasions, I overlook them as a hotel is never without its hiccups the day it finally opens to guests. Instead, I was showered with the affections and energies of staff [Talent, in W speak] who were truly proud of the property they worked at, and did their best to be energetic, positive and wonderful no matter the interaction or request.

Special shoutouts go to Africa and Daniel from the WET Deck, Mo and Arshi from Welcome and the truly incredible, electric and effervescent W Insider, Sitora, who ran around the property greeting and interacting with guests like they were old friends. The highest praise has to be lavished upon general manager Anne Scott, a most gracious hostess and manager with an eye for detail, a dedication to her craft and a personality of absolute excellence. A hotel is made or broken by its service, and the service delivered at this W was outstanding beyond reproach.

Overall

I love this hotel. I’m annoyed at myself for having stayed for one sole night [alas, work], but this is truly a flagship for the W brand worldwide as far as design and service go. The spaces are beautiful, the food is delicious, the place is happening [and will only ramp up as more people realize it’s finally open] and the management/operations are stellar. This is a W fit not only for Dubai, but for the world.

I already can’t wait to be back.

If only "yes" could be spelled with a "W"

Would you like to write a review on the W Dubai - The Palm?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Feb 2, 2019, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Any prizes for being the first to check-in and the first guest? Just curious.

Looks like a wonderful addition to the Marriott family in Dubai.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by Aventine
Any prizes for being the first to check-in and the first guest? Just curious.

Looks like a wonderful addition to the Marriott family in Dubai.
Welcomes and property-wide references by name, a lovely in-room welcome amenity of wine, cheeses and pastries that was replenished the following day, and a sunset welcome reception at the rooftop bar on opening night. The whole thing was a wonderful affair and it’s amazing to think that the hotel had just opened when looking at all the people pouring into the place - you’d think the hotel was part of the Dubai cityscape for far longer!

khabah
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 11:09 pm

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Looks very interesting! Will be considering stay at this place on next dubai trip
Old Feb 3, 2019, 12:19 am

Programs: AC 75K, BA Gold, Marriott Platinum, National EE, Sixt Platinum, Hertz PC, AVIS PC
Looks nice overall, but the room looks a little 'Las Vegas circa 1984'-ish.

Ron.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 2:06 am

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
looks spectacular indeed.

i have upcoming trip in dubai this november, hopefully to stay here.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 2:38 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
@khabah: thanks for the great review. Is there a Platinum happy hour? My go-to hotel in Dubai is normally Grosvenor House (Luxury Collection) but I am wondering if I should try W instead.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 3:00 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by escape4
@khabah: thanks for the great review. Is there a Platinum happy hour? My go-to hotel in Dubai is normally Grosvenor House (Luxury Collection) but I am wondering if I should try W instead.
The W is looking about twice as expensive as Grosvenor House - I’m guessing they’re aiming more at the leisure than business market, but will be interesting to see how their clientele pans out.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 4:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by khabah

Welcomes and property-wide references by name, a lovely in-room welcome amenity of wine, cheeses and pastries that was replenished the following day, and a sunset welcome reception at the rooftop bar on opening night. The whole thing was a wonderful affair and it’s amazing to think that the hotel had just opened when looking at all the people pouring into the place - you’d think the hotel was part of the Dubai cityscape for far longer!

khabah
Just surprised no points prize or something like that. Excellent write up and pictures. Thank you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.