Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Starwood/Marriott Data Breach 500 Million Guests affected, Marriott fined £18.4m

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 30, 2018, 5:05 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MasterGeek
From Starwood Lurker team :
Please visit  info.starwoodhotels.com  for more information about this incident, available resources and steps you can take.

Marriott has announced a massive breach of data belonging to 500 million guests who stayed at hotel brands including W, Sheraton, and Westin.
Marriott announced on Friday that it had "taken measures to investigate and address a data security incident" that stemmed from its Starwood guest authorization database.
The company said it believes that around 500 million people's information was accessed, including an unspecified number who had their credit card details taken. It affects customers who made bookings on or before September 10, 2018.

http://uk.businessinsider.com/marriott-data-breach-500-million-guests-affected-2018-11?r=US&IR=T
https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/marriott-announces-starwood-guest-reservation-database-security-incident-300758155.html

You can enroll in the "identity" monitoring service provided by Marriott due to this breach here, it cannot be called "credit monitoring" because it doesn't provide access to viewing credit bureau report data (as held by Equifax, TransUnion, Experian) nor notifications when credit report data changes :
https://answers.kroll.com/us/index.html
Print Wikipost

Starwood/Marriott Data Breach 500 Million Guests affected, Marriott fined £18.4m

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2018, 6:04 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott nobody
I cannot figure out how the Starwood reservation system can have passport information on 327 million guests and why. I never gave my passport information to the SPG loyalty program, so the only way they can have my passport information is when I check into hotels in countries that requires passport information. Does that mean those hotels then post my passport information into a central system used by every Starwood hotels worldwide? What was the purpose of that?
Old Nov 30, 2018, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

because 'no one' takes security or privacy seriously
instead of 'why' it is 'why not' when 'why not' is clear

GUWonder, if when = 10 years from now..
do hilton, IHG, accor have similar breaches

only reservations / central reservations?
not SPG account information?
any clarity on that?
Old Nov 30, 2018, 6:24 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
only reservations / central reservations?
not SPG account information?
any clarity on that?
Without more detail, it sounds like the database that stores reservation details were hacked. As such, it is not necessarily all SPG account details, but rather the details that are stored/copied with each reservation. It sounds like a lot of the details were copied into the reservation (e.g., address, etc), but account information that has no need to be attached to an individual reservation (e.g., lifetime nights, points, promotion participation history, etc) are unlikely to be compromised.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 6:37 pm

Programs: DL Plat 1MM, AA EXP 3MM, SQ Krisflyer Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Dave510
I guess if you buy Marriott's party line wholesale, then you'll believe it's all SPG's fault, despite reservation information up to Sept, 2018 being leaked. It's easy to scapegoat SPG now.
If it started in 2014 I can easily blame SPG. I am by no means a fan of Marriott but assuming it wasn't a super obvious exploit and some SQL9 database on a Win 2000 server; it is unlikely to surface in any due diligence. There are many many many things I can blame Marriott for - this isn't one of them. And honestly - without knowing what the exploit was - I am not blaming SPG yet either. Sometimes things happen that shouldn't. I have had some (granted minor - but it's a much smaller business) data breaches happen while CEO and ultimately responsible; I am well above average technical - but no number of policies and training will catch every last thing that can go wrong
kennycrudup and Twickenham like this.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 6:52 pm

Programs: *A Gold / ST Elite+ / OWS / EK G / HH Diam. / MR Tit / Hyatt GLOB / IHG Diam. / SL Jade / GHA Tit.
Stop the SPG bashing. It's a Marriott and Accenture issue. Period.
I hope and pray for a MASSIVE class action in the Us and a HUGE fine from EU.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 7:41 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by frenchft
What is your source for such an allegedly authoritative pronouncement?
Old Nov 30, 2018, 7:46 pm

Programs: Lifetime UA 1K, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
I've had my personal information leaked by Target, Home Depot, Hyatt, Hilton, Chase, Equifax and others. I'm guessing hackers in Russia, China, and many other countries have my passport info since it is scanned at every international hotel I stay in.

As unfortunate as this is (and Maybe it will end up costing Marriott Billions), the reality is that anyone running old on-premise software has likely been hacked. For every one of these that is detected there are many more that are not. There are too many software vulnerabilities and companies are still struggling to encrypt data properly. The amount of time it took Marriott and SPG to merge their systems was due to them both being old, brittle and not well understood. How does someone even protect these systems? You can build walls around them but hackers eventually find ways in.

Companies need too stop storing personal information and governments need to stop requiring it to be collected everywhere.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by frenchft
I hope and pray for a MASSIVE class action in the Us and a HUGE fine from EU.
because Marriott was secretly running spg in 2014

it's not Marriott's fault, but it is now their problem.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 7:57 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF Bronze, VA Red
I don't recall receiving a notification from Marriott about this data breach, which means Marriott is in breach of the Australian Privacy Act 1988 as well, subject to a maximum penalty of $2.1 million per affected Australian resident as they clearly carry on business in Australia. And for us they offer nothing, not even a year's free credit monitoring. Hell, they aren't even throwing us some Marriott Points as a token gesture!
Old Nov 30, 2018, 9:16 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Interesting the comments about fines - you all know who ends up paying the fine don't you? The consumers ultimately.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ethernal
Without more detail, it sounds like the database that stores reservation details were hacked. As such, it is not necessarily all SPG account details, but rather the details that are stored/copied with each reservation. It sounds like a lot of the details were copied into the reservation
will be interesting

point of sale breach >
2015 2014 - hilton
2015 - starwood , hyatt , mandarin oriental, others
Old Nov 30, 2018, 9:53 pm

Programs: DL, Marriott & IHG Platty; HH Diamonte
Had a fraudulent incident occur. Reservation showed up on morning of Westin migration this week. I cancelled it immediately, but was still charged by the hotel.

Last edited by pharmawalk; Dec 1, 2018 at 4:46 pm
Old Nov 30, 2018, 9:58 pm

As a LT Plat I've received no notice from Marriott about this. Have they contacted their customers?
Old Nov 30, 2018, 10:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
We're now on page 7 (40 posts per page) & last time I was on was page 4. But last time I was on this wasn't posted on the front page of FT (and sounds like an advert; is this guy serious)? What a crock. Lurkers actively responding blah blah (nothing against our excellent Lurkers) but all they did was post a link to the press release/info thing.

https://www.flyertalk.com/articles/s...-missteps.html

Cheers.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am kind of numb to this kind of thing now. I just don't believe every one is keeping my data safely and it is just the matter of time when something happens.

What I am curious about is how much of their IT resources were diverted from fixing the merger problems to work on this and if this contributed to the system merge mess...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.