Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

FAQ : "Room will only be guaranteed until 6:00 PM on the day of your arrival"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2018, 5:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion

I was checking rates for a stay at the Renaissance Hong Kong and looked at the rate details. It stated near the top, “Your reservation is not guaranteed if you arrive late. Please note that your room will only be guaranteed until 6:00 PM on the day of your expected arrival.”

This was in every rate detail and all room types whether the rate was promotional or standard.It makes no sense as many people arrive on flights in the evening.

Has anyone else noticed this at other hotels?

Last edited by Oxon Flyer; May 8, 2023 at 2:17 am Reason: Consolidate several threads on this topic into an FAQ.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 5:55 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
In fairness their check-in time is earlier than most hotels by starting at 2 PM... that gives you a solid 4 hours in which you can check in knowing your reservation is safe

This does seem like an odd and rather disappointing approach. What possible value is there to this for the hotel other than allowing super aggressive overbooking without (legal) recourse from customers?

Also.. can you post a screenshot? I can't find the verbiage you reference when I make a dummy booking for next week.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 6:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion
Below are the rate details for my search for a stay from November 22 - 29. It mentions it under "Holding Reservation."

However, When I checked November 1 - 8, it did not mention the 6pm rule and merely stated, " We will need a credit card number to reserve your room." in the Holding Reservation section.

Looks like they are picking and choosing which time periods to mandate this 6pm check-in time deadline.

Old Oct 24, 2018, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
very strange indeed.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 7:37 pm

Programs: Avis Trump. Costco Exec. SPG PLAT PREM-90. WN A+/CP. AA SLV. Nat EE..
So they’re taking ideas from rental car companies now? This is something I really expect large hotel operators to flatly prohibit in their management/franchise agreements. Charging a cancellation fee if cancelled three days before and not guaranteeing reservation would get some state AG’s fired up and yes I realize this is HK but still. Would love a lurker comment on this.
KRSW, MSPeconomist and ethernal like this.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 2:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Why don't you just call and inform them that you're arriving late. This is a risk that occurs if you check in super late as hotels don't know if you're a no-show or if you're actually coming. Informing them that you're planning on arriving super late can ensure they hold a room upgrade for you ahead of time...

That being said, I always arrive post 6PM at the Renaissance HK, I normally stroll in around 10PM from my flights out of the west coast. I've never had an issue.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 2:41 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
If you don't show they will charge you for the night you didn't show and then cancel the reservation. The hotel isn't out a penny in that case, they just have one less room to clean the next day. I could see calling if you're trying to upgrade to a suite, but not just to keep your reservation.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Or play this the other way. It says "6pm on the day of your arrival". Arrive after midnight which makes your arrival "the next day" and you're also there before 6pm. Problem solved

Actually, I have seen this warning on rooms before in Hong Kong and never once had an issue. Maybe having Marriott status helped. If nothing else, make the reservation and then call/email the hotel and tell them what your expected arrival time is. Or, use the utterly useless mobile app check-in and set your arrival time in that.

-RM
Old Oct 25, 2018, 9:36 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
It seems like this is a rarely used clause, but i'm very curious as to how Marriott would respond to it in context of the Platinum Elite room guarantee if it was invoked - would Marriott force compensation despite the booking? It is such a strange condition that I would have to assume Marriott would side with the guest. But then again, I guess technically your reservation was "honored".. you just didn't hold up your end of the bargain I guess
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 10:28 pm

I’ve seen this 6pm on non credit card guarantee hold where they release your room if you don’t show up. But it is strange to see it on Marriott site. Normally it’s on the hotels own website, through their in house reservation, or I’ve only seen it on (large chain) Radisson booking page that allows this. Might be a rate rule loading issue like the ones where it says the rate is non refundable but cancellation says before certain date.
TravelLawyer and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 5:05 am

Programs: Avis Trump. Costco Exec. SPG PLAT PREM-90. WN A+/CP. AA SLV. Nat EE..
Some Hotels Showing Reservation Only Good Until 6pm Day of Arrival

Okay we heard about this in another country a week ago and I think somewhere else where the OP wanted to keep it a secret but here is a repeatable specific set of two examples where you’ve gotta use a credit card to book and you must cancel 3 days in advance to not get hit with a penalty BUT they will only guarantee the room until 6pm, day of checkin. These are Sheratons (Vistana) Orlando and this IMHO is how you quickly piss off a loyal contingent. Yes I realize these are timeshare properties but last I checked “Sheraton Vistana” isn’t the 31st new special brand. Also, for fun, I looked at a few other Vistana properties and it seems to be the same across the board. Didn’t check them all but the ones I did had the same “Guarantee Policy.” These properties show up just like any other when searching for a place so if they want to make it special they pull it from the app. I have screenshots and will post when I figure it out on mobile. Tried searching and if I missed this somewhere else please merge into another thread. The real rub here is that while I guess they spun off at this point these properties are about as corporately owned as you can get. “Vistana™ Signature Experiences, Inc., an operating business of Marriott Vacations Worldwide Corporation, designs, builds, manages and maintains resort properties under the Westin and Sheraton brands, ensuring the highest quality standards.Through exclusive license agreements, we will continue to develop products primarily within these two signature brands. By leveraging these highly recognizable brands, plus Gold Elite status in the Starwood Preferred Guest (SPG) program, Vistana drives value for customers by delivering exceptional levels of service and programming that are unique to the brands and distinct in the market.”
Attached Images    
Old Nov 7, 2018, 5:16 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I must be missing something here - why is it advantageous to a hotel to not be available for anyone travelling in and arriving on an evening? Clearly it means that it’s a hotel that you would only ever book if you were travelling during the day. Is there a huge upside from being able to drop clients during the day? Do you still pay if they don’t have a room or something?
Old Nov 7, 2018, 6:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Do these places just send their check in staff home to save money on wages? It reminds me of some B&B and hostel policies that guests can only arrive during a limited range of hours. It's also a way for a hotel to avoid ever paying to walk someone.

The idea that a late plane would mean losing a hotel reservation that one has already paid seems ridiculous.....and it's probably not always easy to find a place to sleep in Orlando at the last minute, plus many guests would be bringing small kids, etc.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 3:19 pm

Programs: Bonvoy ambassador - lifetime plat / Hilton diamond / hyatt globalist / AA CK baby!
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Do these places just send their check in staff home to save money on wages?
no.
This is a 1000+ room property. Staff are on hand 24/7

why on earth they wont hold your room past 6pm is beyond me, especially for a property like this. there is always a line to check in past 6pm, and i have been there at close to midnight and still found people in the lobby
Old Nov 7, 2018, 3:29 pm

Programs: Priority Club PLT, Marriott Titanium, AA EXP
Is it a special rate/cheaper rate, if you book it that way? You have to cancel 3 days out, but yet if you arrive after 6pm on day of, your room could be gone anyways. Almost like a gamble, where you can get a lower rate, but you better get there before 6pm. Weird. 3-day cancel, and must arrive before 6pm on day of, seem so contradictory.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.