Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Need Advice: Platinum Premier leaving Marriott. How to make the most of the move?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need Advice: Platinum Premier leaving Marriott. How to make the most of the move?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2018, 11:34 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Vince Chan
Good luck on leaving Marriott for OP. I can not be more happy to see more people leave so us can enjoy more benefit.
+ one million ^
bhrubin and txpenny like this.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 10:20 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta-pm, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-PP
Just to reiterate how the grass isn’t even close to being greener. This past week took a trip to California to celebrate a special occasion with my spouse. Stayed at Marriott gas lamp in San Diego, Hilton Universal city and W Hollywood. 3 nights, 2 nights and 2 nights. Marriott gas lamp, booked the highest suite I could book online and after inquiring through the DM feature of the app, was upgraded to their “presidential” suite. Booked a normal room at the Hilton and used same method of communication to mention this was a special occasion. Was told they would take care of us. Received an “upgrade” to the dreaded room with a view. Hotel was not very busy and there were suites still able to be booked. Did not inquire at the desk. The W my SNA cleared 5 days out to a fantastic suite. I also DM the hotel letting them know we were celebrating an event. Told they would take care of us. Same room at checkin, asked about upgrade, were none available and was told they had already upgraded us to Fantastic suite. Informed them about SNA, but hey no biggie I was glad I could finally use them. Went to room, nothing special. Went to dinner and came back to a dozen roses, a card signed by the staff, strawberry’s and whip cream, as well as champagne and chocolates. So Marriott clearly won this round and the staff at the W went out of their way to make this trip memorable. (Full Disclosure)
I am PPE at Marriott and Diamond at Hilton. Have been top tier at Hilton for 9 years and top tier at Marriott for 6 on and off with gold sprinkled in for a few of those years. Also this is the first time I have ever used the “special occasion” card. I do however inquire about upgrades between 40-80% of the time depending on when I am on business or leisure.

Last edited by flying_donkeys12; Dec 23, 2018 at 10:31 am
Old Dec 23, 2018, 5:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by flying_donkeys12
Booked a normal room at the Hilton and used same method of communication to mention this was a special occasion. Was told they would take care of us. Received an “upgrade” to the dreaded room with a view. Hotel was not very busy and there were suites still able to be booked. Did not inquire at the desk.

How can you not complain or at least inquire? Obviously, it was a big deal for you or you wouldn't be telling us about it. I seriously don't understand when folks come on here, complain about a property and then say they never complained to the property.

Went to dinner and came back to a dozen roses, a card signed by the staff, strawberry’s and whip cream, as well as champagne and chocolates. So Marriott clearly won this round and the staff at the W went out of their way to make this trip memorable.
But does that negate them not upgrading you, if an upgrade was available? I've had properties go out of their way to do something, but at the end of the day they're still not upgrading as intended and instead are hoping their special treatment will negate them not upgrading.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 8:38 pm

Programs: Liftime Titanium Elite Marriott
For the first time in fifteen years I made a real choice not to stay at a Starriott. It was cheaper and in a better location. Without any status I was given a very nice room, full breakfast, fast internet and free valet parking. Even with lifetime PPE status its just not worth dealing with all the hassles of Starriott. For this one city its good bye Starriott for me.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 10:01 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta-pm, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-PP
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider

How can you not complain or at least inquire? Obviously, it was a big deal for you or you wouldn't be telling us about it. I seriously don't understand when folks come on here, complain about a property and then say they never complained to the property.

Whoa! Settle down little buddy. I was not here to complain. This thread was about someone being fed up and leaving Marriott as a top tier member because of it. I was just giving the op some data points from my recent experiences. Basically all loyality programs are a joke. Since 90% of my travel, and I assume that goes for most high tier loyality members, is for business and therefore paid for. It ends up being a nice bonus when I can take my family on a nice trip for very little cost to me. I was not put on this earth to plead for an upgrade at the front desk even though it is a benefit entitled to me. If I really would like an upgrade I reach out via the app if it happens great, if not then oh well. I am still getting my points. I have been privy to folks whipping out their phone and showing the FDC or manager the availability of suites when they are told there are no upgrades. They look like petulant children. Is a suite or better room really worth sacrificing your dignity?
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by JoeWoodstock
Is the Hyatt challenge still a once-in-a-lifetime deal?

Thanks,
--woodstock
I don’t think so
Old Dec 24, 2018, 2:58 pm

Whoa! Settle down little buddy. I was not here to complain. This thread was about someone being fed up and leaving Marriott as a top tier member because of it. I was just giving the op some data points from my recent experiences. Basically all loyality programs are a joke. Since 90% of my travel, and I assume that goes for most high tier loyality members, is for business and therefore paid for. It ends up being a nice bonus when I can take my family on a nice trip for very little cost to me. I was not put on this earth to plead for an upgrade at the front desk even though it is a benefit entitled to me. If I really would like an upgrade I reach out via the app if it happens great, if not then oh well. I am still getting my points. I have been privy to folks whipping out their phone and showing the FDC or manager the availability of suites when they are told there are no upgrades. They look like petulant children. Is a suite or better room really worth sacrificing your dignity?
how is calling the FDC/manager out on their lies remotely close to sacrificing dignity?
Old Dec 24, 2018, 3:30 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by BaconSF
how is calling the FDC/manager out on their lies remotely close to sacrificing dignity?
The answer may be found in the phrasing of the question.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Any Hyatt status match updates?

I think I am ready to do a "soft departure" from Marriott, for Hyatt (I'd like to re-capture some of the SPG Plat feeling that is now dead & buried w/Marriott) - will always have LTPP status to fall back on. While it will be difficult to give up some of the location familiarity & corporate rates, I am confident my Marriott experience is going to take a bit hit next year w/o my Ambassador (deals with all the company's crap so I don't have to). No future LT status to hit. And while I'll likely hit 100-120 nights again in total, probably won't average the ~$300 ADR needed for my ~70 paid nights (rest is CC and award stays). So really the only thing I give up is SNA potential, which I'm guessing won't be as good in the future either.

Ready to open up the Hyatt CC and I have a massive pile of Chase URs to transfer for any needs. Hyatt seems to have fixed many/most of it's WOH launch issues of a couple years ago. Curious if there are any other ex-SPG Plat-now-Hyatt testimonials.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Ready to open up the Hyatt CC and I have a massive pile of Chase URs to transfer for any needs. Hyatt seems to have fixed many/most of it's WOH launch issues of a couple years ago. Curious if there are any other ex-SPG Plat-now-Hyatt testimonials.
I am a Hyatt Globalist (expires Feb 2019) and Starriott PP.

Hyatt is my favorite hotel chain, but due to its limited footprint, I regularly have to book my stays at other chains. Hyatt top elite treatment is best-in-class.

If the Hyatt footprint covers your travel plans, then I’d say go for it! Don’t expect special treatments at the Hyatt place/house though.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 4:30 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
As a Starriott Ambassador and a Hyatt 80-night globalist, I'd say that my Hyatt experience is consistently better than Marriott these days. Hyatt is more consistently good, treats elites better, but has fewer standout properties. I'm a fan of Park Hyatts and Andazes… but that's the only things I get really excited about. Marriott has more interesting boutique hotels and brands I like like W, St. Regis, and all the Luxury and Autograph collections. I find Marriott points more useful than Hyatt too with the moments, airline transfers, and travel packages. My Hyatt concierge is as good as my SPG Ambassador. The smaller Hyatt footprint is the big issue. But overall, I'm happier when I find a good Hyatt property.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Did a little online digging...may not be any active status match opportunities out there at the moment. But I mailed WOH and laid out my (financial) case...will report back what they say.

Also applied for the Hyatt Visa. Even if I don't go all out this year (I do want to use my SNAs, hopefully ha, on some Marriott stays this year), would be nice to get whatever the 30 night status level is, I can't remember the name. And can always use extra points and a free night.

Marriott is quickly becoming an unethical company (before the merger I thought they were just staid and stodgy), and I shake my head at all the horror stories I see on this forum daily. Doesn't make me feel that good about spending five figures plus annually with them going forward.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Update - got the "pound sand" notice from Hyatt about a status match. Surprising as 1) you'd think they'd want to take dissatisfied 5 figure+ guests from Marriott and 2) it's not like Hyatt has been doing all that well financial since the WOH debacle, IIRC.

Hopefully the Hyatt Visa rescues me w/at least some basic status to start off (I'm close on 5/24). I really want to give them a shot, but I also don't feel the need to do 10 nights before I get any semblance of benefits.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.