Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Free breakfast at Courtyard

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2020, 4:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, Bonvoy LT Plat, TSA vilifier extraordinaire, Once upon a time... US Silver, AA Gold
Free breakfast at Courtyard

Mrs. dwcatty and I have stayed at the Winston-Salem, NC (Hanes Mall) CY twice this year after a couple of stays in 2019. Last year we were given a $10 food credit at the bistro for each day, so would redeem for two or three muffins, scones, etc on arrival and the next morning we would get coffee. It worked.

On arrival at our stays in 2020 they handed me a coupon for free breakfast for two at the Bistro. I was also asked if I wanted points or a $10 food credit as my Plat welcome amenity. I took the $10, and early in the morning went down and got a couple of coffees which we drank in the room before breakfast.

Is this an anomaly in the CY world, a Plat perk, or a new trend for CYs?
Old Feb 24, 2020, 8:34 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by dwcatty
Mrs. dwcatty and I have stayed at the Winston-Salem, NC (Hanes Mall) CY twice this year after a couple of stays in 2019. Last year we were given a $10 food credit at the bistro for each day, so would redeem for two or three muffins, scones, etc on arrival and the next morning we would get coffee. It worked.

On arrival at our stays in 2020 they handed me a coupon for free breakfast for two at the Bistro. I was also asked if I wanted points or a $10 food credit as my Plat welcome amenity. I took the $10, and early in the morning went down and got a couple of coffees which we drank in the room before breakfast.

Is this an anomaly in the CY world, a Plat perk, or a new trend for CYs?
Unfortunately, it’s an anomaly.

In the United States, the published Elite Welcome Gift at Courtyard for Platinum Elite members and above continues to a choice of 500 Points per Stay OR U.S. $10 F&B credit per night of Stay for Member +1.

“The U.S. $10 F&B credit per night of Stay is for the Member. An additional U.S. $10 F&B credit per night of Stay is given for one (1) guest staying in the same guestroom as the Member. The U.S. $10 credit per night of Stay does not accrue during the stay. For example, a Member who does not use the $10 credit on one day does not get $20 to use the following day.”

This benefit has not changed since August 2018, although the wording in the Terms & Conditions has improved.

Allow me to speculate on a few possible explanations for why the Courtyard Winston-Salem Hanes Mall went above the published benefit for you and the Mrs.

— Possibly, this property recognizes and rewards repeat guests.

— Possibly, this property wants to be completive with other Marriott Bonvoy properties in the Winston-Salem market in attracting Elite members.

— Possibly, this property thought you were on a breakfast-inclusive rate.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 12:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

On arrival at our stays in 2020 they handed me a coupon for free breakfast for two at the Bistro.
The bistro is not a buffet. Different items cost different amounts. So what exactly did your coupon for free breakfast cover? (Presumably not however much food and drink you wanted to endlessly order, right?)
Old Feb 25, 2020, 4:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, Bonvoy LT Plat, TSA vilifier extraordinaire, Once upon a time... US Silver, AA Gold
Originally Posted by sdsearch
The bistro is not a buffet. Different items cost different amounts. So what exactly did your coupon for free breakfast cover? (Presumably not however much food and drink you wanted to endlessly order, right?)
Any one of their breakfast "entree" (we had the breakfast burrito), a drink and a piece of fruit (banana or apple).
Old Feb 25, 2020, 6:24 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Any one of their breakfast "entree" (we had the breakfast burrito), a drink and a piece of fruit (banana or apple).
I wish something similar to this would become policy for Plats and above. It's one of the few non-boutique (not sure if that's the best description) brands that doesn't provide elites with breakfast. Rather than a $ voucher, what you described -- even it's just one entree and one beverage.

I assume Marriott has decided, based on occupancy rates, that they don't need to offer it at CY's, so I'm not holding my breath. Seems like a natural fit for the overall program though.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 12:01 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat
I don’t understand why CY doesn’t offer free breakfast for plats and above. As a result, I avoid CYs as a general rule unless I have got no other options, including airbnb.

I mean; the rooms are small and bare. It’s limited service. The price is not attractive compared to RI or SHS...

Of course, the CYs in Asia are entirely a different brand— love them!
Old Feb 25, 2020, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Its because courtyard in the US is designed to maximize money extraction from business travelers. No free breakfast, no free coffee, no nothing.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 1:10 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat
Originally Posted by rylan
Its because courtyard in the US is designed to maximize money extraction from business travelers. No free breakfast, no free coffee, no nothing.
Im a business travel and I don’t stay at CY for business. My budget typically allows me to stay at least at Sheraton/Westin/Marriott/Hilton...
Old Feb 25, 2020, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by theOtherHolmes
I don’t understand why CY doesn’t offer free breakfast for plats and above. As a result, I avoid CYs as a general rule unless I have got no other options, including airbnb.

I mean; the rooms are small and bare. It’s limited service. The price is not attractive compared to RI or SHS...

Of course, the CYs in Asia are entirely a different brand— love them!
Originally Posted by rylan
This is why I avoid CY at all costs as well. 500 points or breakfast as a Titanium is an awful welcome amenity. At the very least make it 1000 points if you're not going to give us breakfast. Everywhere else either has a lounge or a free breakfast (and the lounge brands are usually 1,000 points as well). CY is the worst of both worlds. Bad points and no breakfast.

The food and service at those Bistros is awful as well. Usually takes forever to get food and it's always bad/undercooked/etc.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by lockman21
500 points or breakfast as a Titanium is an awful welcome amenity.
It's not "500 points or breakfast."

It's 500 points per stay or a $10 F&B credit daily for the Platinum (or above) member and a second daily $10 F&B credit if there's a second guest in the room.

And this is a big improvement over how it was before August 18, 2018.

I think a lot of this goes back to how Courtyard franchise agreements were have been structured. There'a only so much Marriott can impose on franchised properties.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by Horace

It's 500 points per stay or a $10 F&B credit daily for the Platinum (or above) member and a second daily $10 F&B credit if there's a second guest in the room.

I think a lot of this goes back to how Courtyard franchise agreements were have been structured. There'a only so much Marriott can impose on franchised properties.
I guess that's just arguing semantics to me, I think of that credit as covering my breakfast that day but I guess it's not exactly the same.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by Horace

I have never been offered the second daily $10 for 1 additional guest. If thats the rule I am not sure why?
Old Feb 25, 2020, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by lockman21
I guess that's just arguing semantics to me, I think of that credit as covering my breakfast that day but I guess it's not exactly the same.
Depending on the pricing of breakfast items, juice, and coffee, the $10 USD only covers around half the price of a Courtyard breakfast.

If you could actually choose between 500 points or breakfast for member + 1 — as at Aloft and Four Points — I think most of us here would be happier.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by HHonors OUTSIDER
I have never been offered the second daily $10 for 1 additional guest. If thats the rule I am not sure why?
The second daily $10 F&B credit is the rule for the same reason that breakfast for member + 1 is the rule at brands that provide breakfast as a welcome gift option or through the lounge/breakfast benefit.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 3:46 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA Plat MM
Originally Posted by HHonors OUTSIDER
It is an unevenly applied feature of the benefit, which is frequently discussed on the "breakfast" thread. I'm at 50% for my Courtyard stays in the last 365 and my wife has been with me every time. It's sometimes possible to resolve with management, sometimes not.

I have received both breakfast and $20 on a recent Courtyard stay like the OP however. Some still do exceed expectations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.