Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Do Marriott's T&C's allow you to forfeit points instead of cash after deadline?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do Marriott's T&C's allow you to forfeit points instead of cash after deadline?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2018, 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
I

Irrespective of the terms, this would almost certainly be struck down in the EU under consumer protection legislation. In most developed countries, you can’t add disproportionate clauses into the small print - and a cancellation fee way above what a hotel stay would cost would clearly be an example of that. The same is obviously true of those people who have reservations made since the merger where the cancellation fee is listed as 80 trillion dollars, or whatever was written.

It would be interesting to see how place of booking vs. destination would play out in court if someone in the EU used Marriott.com from home to book a hotel somewhere like the US or the Maldives where consumer protection is less advanced.
Cancellation penalties on SPG properties that still use the old booking engine are based on what the SPG50 rate plan would be for the same nights. I see no way how any reasonable European court would strike this down.

However that may be the cc company certainly would not rule on the validity of the penalty. Their only concern is whether the cc holder authorized the charge — and in this case it’s clear s/he did. They would allow the charge and tell the guest to fight it in court. As the company putting the charge on the card is probably a Maldivian company I seriously doubt you would be able to enforce an European judgment over there.

Last edited by MePlatPremier; Oct 29, 2018 at 6:33 pm
Old Oct 29, 2018, 6:43 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by Often1
Value them however you wish. Just make sure you report that value as income if you earned the points on someone else's dime.

The valuation issue is old & tired because it favors nobody.
So you agree that points are worth $0 and, therefore, the $16,000 cancellation fee is disproportionate? I was trying to argue in your favor (that points have a cash value and, therefore, the cancellation fee is not disproportionate).

I agree with the other poster that you'd likely have more issues with jurisdiction than winning a hypothetical case in the EU (if jurisdiction was no issue).
Old Oct 29, 2018, 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by MePlatPremier
Cancellation penalties on SPG properties that still use the old booking engine are based on what the SPG50 rate plan would be for the same nights. I see no way how any reasonable European court would strike this down.

However that may be the cc company certainly would not rule on the validity of the penalty. Their only concern is whether the cc holder authorized the charge — and in this case it’s clear s/he did. They would allow the charge and tell the guest to fight it in court. As the company putting the charge on the card is probably a Maldivian company I seriously doubt you would be able to enforce an European judgment over there.
Agree 100% with your issue on jurisdiction. With that said, you are completely wrong about the European court situation.

A 1993 EEC council directive on unfair contracts explicitly references the following:

(d)
permitting the seller or supplier to retain sums paid by the consumer where the latter decides not to conclude or perform the contract, without providing for the consumer to receive compensation of an equivalent amount from the seller or supplier where the latter is the party cancelling the contract;
(e)
requiring any consumer who fails to fulfil his obligation to pay a disproportionately high sum in compensation
The $16000 cancellation fee in lieu of points contradicts either possibly (e) or definitely (d) (and possibly both).

The $16000 cancellation fee (which is PURELY a fee - it is not paid room rate because the paid room rate is $0) would imply that the hotels would owe the guest $16,000 in the event that they are not able to provision the room (which they would not do). While it would be a very strained argument, one can argue about whether or not $16000 is disproportionate to a $0-$2000 (depending on how you value the points) booking fee - but the hotel (if they were based in the EU) could not simultaneously charge a $16000 cancel fee while not guaranteeing $16000 in the event that they could not honor the contract.

Again, agree that jurisdiction is an issue here, but you are wrong that this would not be thrown out by a court in the EU if jurisdiction was not an issue.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by ethernal
Agree 100% with your issue on jurisdiction. With that said, you are completely wrong about the European court situation.

A 1993 EEC council directive on unfair contracts explicitly references the following:

The $16000 cancellation fee in lieu of points contradicts either possibly (e) or definitely (d) (and possibly both).

The $16000 cancellation fee (which is PURELY a fee - it is not paid room rate because the paid room rate is $0) would imply that the hotels would owe the guest $16,000 in the event that they are not able to provision the room (which they would not do). While it would be a very strained argument, one can argue about whether or not $16000 is disproportionate to a $0-$2000 (depending on how you value the points) booking fee - but the hotel (if they were based in the EU) could not simultaneously charge a $16000 cancel fee while not guaranteeing $16000 in the event that they could not honor the contract.

Again, agree that jurisdiction is an issue here, but you are wrong that this would not be thrown out by a court in the EU if jurisdiction was not an issue.
There is no disproportion because the penalty is calculated as 50% of the RACK rate the hotel charges for the nights on the reservation. The cancellation penalty is proportionate to the value of the services rendered.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 7:14 pm

Considering the current confirmation emails for SPG legacy properties (that I’ve been to since the merger) are still including this possibility, I would say yes.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 7:27 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
If you're going to forfeit the points you should just put someone else's name as a guest and donate them the reservation
Old Oct 29, 2018, 7:48 pm

There is no disproportion because the penalty is calculated as 50% of the RACK rate the hotel charges for the nights on the reservation. The cancellation penalty is proportionate to the value of the services rendered.
In the context of OP's agreement with the hotel, the hotel has already accepted the 340K points - valued anywhere from $0-$2000 depending on interpretation - as payment for the stay. The supposed or advertised value of services rendered is irrelevant in the context of the contract. This is because that value is arbitrary. If you want to get into "valuation" of things then you are right back to valuing points and, therefore, again showing that it is disproportionate.

In addition, you ignored my main point. Even if you want to say that the penalty is proportionate (it's not), in the context of EU law* the hotel would have to give OP $16,000 if they were unable to honor the reservation as this is 100% a fee and not a collection of a deposit. The hotel would obviously never do this and, as such, the contract term would be considered unfair.

* again, jurisdiction (which you pointed out) is the bigger issue here
Old Oct 29, 2018, 10:34 pm
formerly known as daveland
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Delta Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by GoPhils

I’m confused, are you saying it’s Marriott’s fault that a (former SPG) hotel is trying to charge a cash penalty for an award cancellation?

Doing a quick search it does appear there were many complaints about this on the old SPG forum, but maybe that was before they changed the policy.

There were a couple similar threads on the Marriott forum but unless I missed it no one actually said they were charged what it said the cash penalty was. Here is one of the longer ones (which I did not read all of) - Cancellation Fee is Dollars on a Reward Stay?
I’d like to clarify that I’m not *currently* saying anything is anyone’s fault. If you back to my question in the OP, i was asking a question.

On Pre merger SPG reservations it was well documented that one could opt to forfeit points rather than pay a usurious cancellation penalty.

This is my first in this situation at an ex- SPG property post merger. I’m not here complaining that something happened. Rather I’m being proactive and trying to find out if Marriott policy has incorporated SPG policy here. I’m still outside the cancellation window at this time.

The implication on the cost of travel insurance is insane - to the tune of an extra $1,000 just to insure this one booking against unforeseen circumstances.

i may email the property directly to ask about the policy since they are used to the SPG policy. If they confirm the option in writing then I’m all set.

I’ve also reached out privately to William aka Starwood Lurker who is attempting to get an answer from the appropriate people and that answer will likely be posted here when he knows more.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 10:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Delta Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Wyndham Diamond

Actually based on another poster mentioning the confirmation email, I checked it. And the terms DO still state the option. Based on that as a part of the contract I would say I’m all set for these bookings.

I don’t know what would appear ona similar ex-Marriott booking but for now the SPG ones seem unchanged.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 10:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
If a court was going to look at the cash value of a point they would probably look at what Marriott values them at on their balance sheet which is probably around .3 cents/point.
I suspect they would look at the actual rate being charged at the property in question for the dates of the reservation. Isn't that a bit more related to the points value at that property on those dates than some arbitrary accounting entry?

Originally Posted by MilesTalk
I’ve also reached out privately to William aka Starwood Lurker who is attempting to get an answer from the appropriate people and that answer will likely be posted here when he knows more. [/left]
The follow-up to this is much more meaningful than the I-stayed-at-a-Holidy-Inn-last-night lawyer wannabe posturing.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 2:14 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Well yes, but surely what you'd obviously do in that circumstances is put a hold on your card before you executed the cancellation in the first place so that Marriott has to chase you for $20,000 for a hotel stay which actually cost nothing as opposed to the other way around.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 3:30 am

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
Well yes, but surely what you'd obviously do in that circumstances is put a hold on your card before you executed the cancellation in the first place so that Marriott has to chase you for $20,000 for a hotel stay which actually cost nothing as opposed to the other way around.
I don’t understand what you mean by putting a hold — merchants put holds on cards, not cc holders. If you are saying one should try to do some sort of gimmick to avoid the execution of an otherwise perfectly valid cc authorization then, in most jurisdictions, that would constitute bank fraud.

And Marriott would not chase you for anything, as Marriott is not the one charging your card or collecting the money. When allerted by the property that you’re stiffing them, Marriott would just kick you out of the loyalty program and maybe blacklist you (your email address) from using their platform again.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 3:32 am

In the context of OP's agreement with the hotel, the hotel has already accepted the 340K points - valued anywhere from $0-$2000 depending on interpretation - as payment for the stay. The supposed or advertised value of services rendered is irrelevant in the context of the contract. This is because that value is arbitrary. If you want to get into "valuation" of things then you are right back to valuing points and, therefore, again showing that it is disproportionate.

In addition, you ignored my main point. Even if you want to say that the penalty is proportionate (it's not), in the context of EU law* the hotel would have to give OP $16,000 if they were unable to honor the reservation as this is 100% a fee and not a collection of a deposit. The hotel would obviously never do this and, as such, the contract term would be considered unfair.

* again, jurisdiction (which you pointed out) is the bigger issue here
I just hope you’re not an attorney
Old Oct 30, 2018, 7:25 am

I just hope you’re not an attorney

And I just hope you don't do consumer contract law in the EU. If you do transactional law in the US then your experience with what makes a valid contract is not relevant to the ridiculousness that exists in the EU as it relates to consumer protections. I am not an attorney but I have worked on setting up pricing and conditions for this exact issue (cancellation fees, deposit collection, etc) for a non-hotel industry with an EU client and spent countless hours with legal deciding what we could and could not do.

I completely agree that the contract terms would probably stand in the US with the far fewer restrictions on consumer contracts (and who knows what would happen in Maldives), but you made the comment that "no competent European court" would strike it down.

You can argue until your face is blue about proportionality, but for a pure fee (which is what the $16000 cancellation fee is - it is not a collection of an existing deposit) must be balanced in EU law for consumer contracts. All one would need to find is an example of where the hotel did not honor a reservation and did not pay a comparable fee, or show that they would not have in the event that they could not honor a reservation, and you have proven that it is an unbalanced cancellation fee. That's enough to strike it down per Council Directive 93/13/EEC on unfair terms in consumer contracts.

Given that it is almost universal that hotels merely refund any deposits and extinguish future payment obligations in the event that they cannot honor a reservation (e.g., change in hotel ownership, closing for renos), it would be easy to prove / find examples the customer would not have been paid the fee in the event of cancellation (especially since the burden of proof is on the hotel as there is likely nothing in the contract stating as such to begin with).
Old Oct 30, 2018, 8:37 am
Original Poster

I love how everyone here skipped right by my screenshot from the confirmation showing that it does not appear to be an issue

But still will be good to know the Marriott policy going forward as I doubt this policy would be written in to an ex-Marriott property cancellation terms. Since the W Maldives is ex-SPG it seems to have kept those terms (for now).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.