FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Elite night/3k spend on OLD Marriott VISA card (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1929446-elite-night-3k-spend-old-marriott-visa-card.html)

Kacee Sep 9, 2018 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by escape4 (Post 30185618)
What I am considering mostly is on which card I should put my SPG+Marriott spend on.

SPG Amex at 6x per dollar, unless you want the spend to count towards elite nights at $3k per.

sngorman Sep 10, 2018 12:23 am

Chart showing the earning for all cards:
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...9ee7d9edf8.png

bosman Sep 10, 2018 7:16 am

Originally Posted by GrandOldTurkey (Post 30182042)
My Chase credit card nights for last month (closing date of the first) just posted.

My close is the 3rd and nights usually post regularly on the 10th, however they posted on the 8th this month. I was fully expecting a screw-up so shocked they posted early.

Regarding the keep or change debate, I will need the 1 night/$3k to get the 50 night Choice Awards, so it comes down to how useful the 5 SNAs are in reality. If they are easily used/redeemed, I would keep the current card. If SNAs are more hype than useful in the real world, then I would convert to the card that gives more points. So time will tell once I get the SNAs this year and start to/try to use them.

Points Scrounger Sep 10, 2018 8:54 am

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 30185530)
Additionally, the SPG card earns 6x on Marriott/SPG spend whereas legacy Chase earns only 5x. Further, SPG card gets a 35k annual cert, while legacy Chase gets only a 25k cert.

The SPG Amex is the keeper of the two, unless you are willing to essentially waste spend at 1 point per dollar to earn extra elite nights.

That's backwards.

Or, one's large recurring payment is with a merchant who doesn't accept Amex.

Kacee Sep 10, 2018 9:01 am

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger (Post 30188100)
Or, one's large recurring payment is with a merchant who doesn't accept Amex.

Only if you're specifically aiming for the elite night credits. Otherwise I'd put that spend on CSP, which earns at 2x the Marriott Premier.

C17PSGR Sep 10, 2018 9:34 am

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 30188125)
Only if you're specifically aiming for the elite night credits. Otherwise I'd put that spend on CSP, which earns at 2x the Marriott Premier.

Or with another credit card. None of these are particularly good values except for use at Marriott properties.

bosman Nov 10, 2018 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by bosman (Post 30187802)
My close is the 3rd and nights usually post regularly on the 10th, however they posted on the 8th this month. I was fully expecting a screw-up so shocked they posted early..

And now one step back, nights have not posted yet for my last close.

rfrost Nov 11, 2018 12:06 am

I had not been putting much spend on this card, instead using my SPG Amex until 8/1, and then again when Amex offered a bonus. But having discovered that my Y-T-D combined account spend was higher than anticipated, Ambassador seems within relatively easy reach, particularly if I can get 2 extra nights credit from spend on this card (which I am now using for all Starriott stays). It had not dawned on me, though, that qualifying CC spend in 2018 might result in nights posting in 2019–if I hit the next $3000 mark on, say, Christmas Eve, based on what I read above the night credit would likely post in 2019 as a 2019 night—is that correct? If so, I can add an extra night’s stay this year, but would like to know for sure,
Thanks.

bosman Nov 12, 2018 6:41 am

Originally Posted by bosman (Post 30415914)

Or is it possible that the annual 15 Night credit card cap went into effect shortly after the programs merged? I got my annual 15 nights in October based on my anniversary date, so if they started the annual cap in September, or whenever, I wouldn't be getting any more nights this year. I had always thought that wouldn't kick in until 2019.

Is anyone else seeing delays or not receiving credit card nights? Data points please!

aaupgrade Nov 12, 2018 7:06 am

Originally Posted by bosman (Post 30415914)

As I posted in post #2 , nights for each $3000 spend are not based on your closing date, but are based on the previous calendar month. They usually post around the 10th of each month for your spend from the previous calendar month. With the 10th being a Saturday this month I would guess they will post tonight. I had low spend in October so I do not expect any night credit for spend this month, but last month 2 nights posted about the 10th of the month for my spend from September.

Timetospa Nov 14, 2018 7:52 am

I’m anxious to hear if and when anyone gets their elite night credit this month. I’m counting on mine to make platinum this year. I even called them last month to find out exactly how much more spending I would need on that card, and made sure to get there. As of November 14, the credit has not posted.

OTPorBust Nov 16, 2018 10:11 am

Same here no posting of credit, as of this morning?

swintec Nov 16, 2018 10:51 am

theres another thread speaking about an issue with CC postings for nights from the amex cards and the starwood lurker confirmed that it is known and the issue is being worked on, i assume the chase nights fall into the same problem.

naumank Nov 16, 2018 10:58 am

I haven’t had any elite nights posting since the first half of the year. I never bothered to call because I don’t really need the nights. Finally I gave up and upgraded to the PLUS card two weeks ago.

flandery Nov 19, 2018 8:10 am

I hope they fix it soon. I need 1 more night on the Marriott side to hit 75 for the year. My SPG is at 50 right now - I was holding off combining them until that last night posted since I didn't want to risk not getting the MR 75 night annual choice.

I've got one more stay scheduled in December, but the timing for everything would be tight. My goal is to get the 75 night as a cert, then to combine my accounts so I could use all 10 of the SNAs I already claimed for a 7 day trip to Hawaii the following week.