Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

To avoid Marriott group, To stay only at legacy SPG Hotels, My Personal Vow!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2018, 5:22 am
formerly known as 2lovelife
Original Poster

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat

Short and Sweet,

This is not a rant or a threat of dissatisfaction!

The merger has been good for some, mediocre for others. It has not been good to me or for me. So, after years of excitement, theirs not mine, I’ve decided on a position that is not earth shattering, doesn’t affect the hotels I’ve grown to love, and doesn’t affect Marriott group at all.

It does make me feel better. And it keeps as many of my hard earned dollars away from the owners of Marriott hotels (*with possible exceptions).

If others love SPG as I have, I encourage you to pledge the same, or even make your own.
Momentum could have the benefit of proving a point. I’m satisfied with it being a one person stand, too!

I, 2lovelife, vow to stay at SPG hotels, and avoid any and all Marriott hotels when deciding between the two brands. I vow to spend my hotel dollars on the hotel brands that have recognized my business over the years.

comment or discuss as you wish...
martyYOW, frenchft and nick793 like this.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 5:46 am

If it makes you happy then why not. It's not going to affect anyone else's life one bit .
clarkef and boss315 like this.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 5:48 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Laughable if you think that it affects anybody but you. So, not sure why you want to incite others to follow you. If it makes you happy, do it. But, why anybody else would go against their own wishes to validate the wishes of someone on an anonymous internet board is beyond me.

There are people who said the same thing about many other consumer-facing acquisitions, e.g. NW/DL, CO/UA, and AA/US. Net revenue remains the same, owners equity remains the same, and the only person who is disadvantaged is you. Marriott could care less. Or perhaps better put, less than less.

Stay at properties you like. Hyatts, Hilton's and off-chain as well. If you choose your property based on its former affiliation, you lose.
clarkef, bhrubin and Leopardz like this.

Last edited by Often1; Sep 7, 2018 at 3:54 pm
Old Sep 7, 2018, 6:14 am
Original Poster

Again, I am reminded....

thank you you for your constructive comments.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 6:17 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
So you're denying yourself the biggest advantage to customers from the merger -- many additional hotels to earn and enjoy your benefits?

I'm not sure what personal stand you're taking here, but if self-denial makes you feel better, I support you (but won't join you). What would you do if someone offered to add a beautiful new pool to your house free of charge? You'd refuse to use the pool in protest of the inconvenience it temporarily caused while there was a hole in your yard?

I haven't stayed at a SPG property in over a year now, but am excited to try one with my PPE benefits in place.
Leopardz likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 7:17 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
I vow, with all my heart and soul, to stay at the hotel most convenient for me, at the best price, for my particular stay, as I have done for years. In many cases, that will be a Marriott branded hotel. In other cases, it will be SPG, Hilton, Hyatt, Four Seasons, boutique, etc...
Old Sep 7, 2018, 7:33 am

Programs: UA MM, MB LifeTit
It makes sense to patronize properties where you've had good experiences and those that present the best options for any particular stay, but it doesn't make much sense to prefer the properties of various REITs, real-estate developers, sovereign wealth funds, etc. that are associated with one set of brand names over the properties of various REITs, real-estate developers, sovereign wealth funds, etc. that are associated with another set of brand names.
KC, ehallison, windscar and 2 others like this.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Adelphos
I vow, with all my heart and soul, to stay at the hotel most convenient for me, at the best price, for my particular stay, as I have done for years.
Elite benefits can have real value. I've enjoyed suite upgrades and free breakfasts at expensive properties, for example. I don't enough enough stays/nights to get top status at multiple chains.

Now, if one doesn't find value in benefits at the earned tier level and think you can do better at Hyatt, IHG, Hilton - give it a try. If one sees problems with elite benefit delivery, cite the benefit and give the hotel a chance to fix it. I think Marriott properties will be pretty good with the benefit roll-out (and corrections, if necessary). IME, their training and service recovery at properties leads the hotel industry.

As for romanticizing a dead chain or multiple whiny threads about booking away, I don't get it. It's always a business transaction - not love.
clarkef and boss315 like this.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 8:21 am
Original Poster

I like this vow, too. I really like it.

And I appreciate everyone else’s posts, too.

Indeed, I had to put an asterisk in my original, unedited, post. It should have read ‘unless I decide otherwise’.

For instance, I have a travel package booked in December. I’m not going to cancel it.

However, I have several stays later this month and next to book. I will consider only SPG flags, without feeling hard done by.

Unlike many other travelers, I do not have, nor can I see any incentive to stay at a Marriott..... yet

Originally Posted by Adelphos
I vow, with all my heart and soul, to stay at the hotel most convenient for me, at the best price, for my particular stay, as I have done for years. In many cases, that will be a Marriott branded hotel. In other cases, it will be SPG, Hilton, Hyatt, Four Seasons, boutique, etc...
Old Sep 7, 2018, 8:25 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Alaska Mileage Plan, Marriott Bonvoy
Might need to research the actual owners/managing entities of each SPG property you stay at as there is a chance they also own Marriott properties, therefore you are still supporting MR. Sounds like a lot of work.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 8:31 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by 2lovelife
Short and Sweet,

This is not a rant or a threat of dissatisfaction!

The merger has been good for some, mediocre for others. It has not been good to me or for me. So, after years of excitement, theirs not mine, I’ve decided on a position that is not earth shattering, doesn’t affect the hotels I’ve grown to love, and doesn’t affect Marriott group at all.

It does make me feel better. And it keeps as many of my hard earned dollars away from the owners of Marriott hotels (*with possible exceptions).

If others love SPG as I have, I encourage you to pledge the same, or even make your own.
Momentum could have the benefit of proving a point. I’m satisfied with it being a one person stand, too!

I, 2lovelife, vow to stay at SPG hotels, and avoid any and all Marriott hotels when deciding between the two brands. I vow to spend my hotel dollars on the hotel brands that have recognized my business over the years.

comment or discuss as you wish...
I never understand these 'tail wagging the dog' rants, but I feel I should point out to you that Marriott doesn't actually own any hotels. And many of the owners that own SPG flagged hotels also own Marriott hotels. And the management agreements between the owner and the operator are quite complex.

But if it makes you feel good, then so be it.
Often1, bhrubin and Leopardz like this.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
And it keeps as many of my hard earned dollars away from the owners of Marriott hotels
Do you believe that the owners of Marriott properties are the ones responsible for the merger integration issues?

They are not. So you're just subjecting yourself to worse stays than you could have had to punish people who have nothing to do with your concerns.

Well done.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 10:54 am

Programs: It's Complicated...
It is of course your choice to stay wherever you want. I think you are really only hurting yourself by limiting the properties that you will stay at.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 11:00 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold

Unlike many other travelers, I do not have, nor can I see any incentive to stay at a Marriott..... yet
I guess this is the craziest part of your vow I don't understand. There's lots of incentives to stay at any of the combined hotels if you're an elite member. The merger gives the "new combined company" a much larger footprint worldwide. So if you're in a town where your choices are a Four Points or a Renaissance, you'd choose the Four Points every time? Even more likely in the US, there's a Marriott in the perfect location but not a SPG brand. So you'd book IHG or Hilton or whatever?

I don't see any logic in that, and I guess I don't understand the emotion. It's like saying I like all whiskeys better than any beer, but if they don't have my favorite whiskey then I'll have a beer.

The merger is a done deal. You can take advantage of it or pretend it never happened if you want, but it's your loss.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 12:32 pm

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
I wonder, how to stay at SPG hotel after they all become Marriott's?

Its like saying I will only fly with Air Berlin ... else I walk

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.