Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Points Missing (Post-Merger) - General Discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2018, 5:04 pm
Original Poster

Before anyone starts bashing me by telling me to read the forums, I can tell you I have read the threads and I am aware that the SPG/Marriott merger has been having many technical difficulties. As of yet though, I haven't ready any post that is similar to mine. We are heading into the 19th day post-merger and since day one my balance has shown ZERO points. I had 1.1 million SPG points before, which means I'm supposed to have 3.3 million Marriott points, all missing from my account. Initially I didn't panic because I was aware of what's going on but after 6 phone calls, 4 emails, twitter messages, and 4 conversations with supervisors I am starting to really worry that there may be something seriously wrong. I was wondering if anyone has any ideas on what can be done? Obviously I will hire an attorney if I don't get my points back but I would rather not go that route. I doubt calling anymore will do anything, anyways the wait times for platinum went from 20 minutes two weeks ago to more than 50 minutes today, plus another 40 minutes to get a supervisor on the phone. Any ideas?
Old Sep 5, 2018, 6:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by bruinfever
I had 1.1 million SPG points before, which means I'm supposed to have 3.3 million Marriott points, all missing from my account.
Are you sure you're checking your SPG account and not your Marriott account? Until you take the step of manually merging, you will have two accounts.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 6:42 pm

Programs: Starriot Platinum, DL PM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Explorist
I have exactly the same problem, but for much fewer points. I've checked both accounts and the Marriott legacy one has the correct number of Marriott points based on my Marriott activity, but my new account converted from SPG has 0 points. I can't imagine how impatient I would be at this point if I was missing over a million SPG points.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 6:45 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
OP is aware the IT merger is nowhere near complete, right (and AFAIC, issues like your so-called "missing" points are the reason why; they know they're not done 'till things like this are resolved). Just calm down already.

And I don't get all the reports of people making multiple phone calls?!
Old Sep 5, 2018, 6:55 pm

Programs: Bonvoy ambassador - lifetime plat / Hilton diamond / hyatt globalist / AA CK baby!
Originally Posted by kennycrudup
OP is aware the IT merger is nowhere near complete, right (and AFAIC, issues like your so-called "missing" points are the reason why; they know they're not done 'till things like this are resolved). Just calm down already.

spg points are easily worth a few cents per point. My best redemption to date was a hair under 11 cents per point. That makes 1.1 million points worth at least as much as a modest new car - to as much as a modest starter home in many parts of the country.

how calm would you be if one morning $100k was missing from your bank account and the best answer you could get from the branch was 'we are having the same problem with a bunch of people and dont know when it will be fixed' - especially after two and a half weeks have gone by?
dw, Happy, imverge and 14 others like this.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 7:00 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by stant
how calm would you be if one morning [1.1M SPG points] were gone ...?
Well, I'm a realist, and because of this know there's essentially zero chance they're "gone", PLUS there's a huge fuster of an IT meltdown going on, so I'd be "Oh, FFS come ON already!" but "bugging overworked phone agents" (who can't fix IT problems as if by magic) and "threatening to sue" aren't things that come to my rational mind about this.
Leopardz likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 7:28 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, CX DM, SQ Gold
Well, I'm a realist, and because of this know there's essentially zero chance they're "gone", PLUS there's a huge fuster of an IT meltdown going on, so I'd be "Oh, FFS come ON already!" but "bugging overworked phone agents" (who can't fix IT problems as if by magic) and "threatening to sue" aren't things that come to my rational mind about this.
I am with you on this and I am very calm about my 2018 status being platinum instead of platinum premier, having been tricked into using my MR number instead of my SPG number going forward and having lost some 8 or 9 lifetime nights at the same time status.marriott.com keeps saying all is well.

But I do have empathy for the OP. 1M points. SPG points! In limbo and at the mercy of a company who have communicated poorly and not earned our (SPG crossovers) trust. I would be freaking out, too.

Multiple phone calls are not going to yield any results. I would open a ticket in the write-in "contact us" section. Allow a week for some hilariously useless copy/paste level 1 back and forth and then maybe PM a lurker and give them ample time to investigate too. In my mind as long as there is a ticket number and a lurker has seen my ticket things will eventually work out.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 8:09 pm

Programs: Bonvoy ambassador - lifetime plat / Hilton diamond / hyatt globalist / AA CK baby!
We dont know the poster's situation. For me, 100% of my travel is at my expense. That close to 11 cent value I got from starpoints was for a last minute business class international flight that would have cost me over $8000 if I had to buy it with cash (or 'only' $3000 in coach). Those would have been real dollars out of my back pocket. Even if they arent 'gone' the poster could be exposed to significant real world expense he wasnt expecting - and there is no timeframe for a resolution.

On the plus side, the only thing wrong with my account when I posted earlier today was my YTD night count was off. sometime today it got corrected...
Old Sep 5, 2018, 8:16 pm

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
Before anyone starts bashing me by telling me to read the forums, I can tell you I have read the threads and I am aware that the SPG/Marriott merger has been having many technical difficulties. As of yet though, I haven't ready any post that is similar to mine. We are heading into the 19th day post-merger and since day one my balance has shown ZERO points. I had 1.1 million SPG points before, which means I'm supposed to have 3.3 million Marriott points, all missing from my account. Initially I didn't panic because I was aware of what's going on but after 6 phone calls, 4 emails, twitter messages, and 4 conversations with supervisors I am starting to really worry that there may be something seriously wrong. I was wondering if anyone has any ideas on what can be done? Obviously I will hire an attorney if I don't get my points back but I would rather not go that route. I doubt calling anymore will do anything, anyways the wait times for platinum went from 20 minutes two weeks ago to more than 50 minutes today, plus another 40 minutes to get a supervisor on the phone. Any ideas?
I couldnt find my points in my SPG account until I looked at doing the merge and found out that when I was logging into the SPG page it was actually taking me to my linked Marriott page that had no points. Once I merged my points appeared.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Any ideas?
First, please clarify what you've done and your current situation.

Had you previously linked your accounts? Have you combined your accounts? Did you have a previous balance at Marriott and, if so, what is showing in your old Marriott and/or combined account.

When a CSR says "I can't tell you exactly what happened, but I know they are making changes this weekend. Wait to see if it's fixed on Monday, or call back then" and it's not fixed on Monday, what would you do?

Last edited by CPRich; Sep 6, 2018 at 9:31 am Reason: Brain fade on merger timing.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 5:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by CPRich
Had you previously linked your accounts? 1.1 million SPG points was from quite some time ago and they were already converted to 3.3 million new program points in your SPG account prior to August 18.
even if you linked accounts, the spg points would not have multiplied by 3 unless you transferred them over to marriott....the points would have automatically converted only after the 18th august merger....
Old Sep 6, 2018, 9:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stant
how calm would you be if one morning $100k was missing from your bank account and the best answer you could get from the branch was 'we are having the same problem with a bunch of people and dont know when it will be fixed' - especially after two and a half weeks have gone by?
That's exactly right. 1.1 Million Starwood points is worth A LOT of money. Now I understand SPG is not a bank but I can assure you if your balance goes from that much value to ZERO you may be calm after 1,2, or 3 days, trying to be understanding. But 19 days later and I'm sure you can understand why I'm nervous as hell. Those points are equity, and they basically screwed up and I've been without it for 19 days as they ask for "patience." Heads would be rolling if I was the CEO.
jrm68 likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 10:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Are you sure you're checking your SPG account and not your Marriott account? Until you take the step of manually merging, you will have two accounts.
Yes, I am checking the my SPG account logging in with my new SPG number that was assigned to me. No, I have not merged accounts nor will I until this is fixed. They've screwed up enough, I'm not going to make things even more convoluted by combining accounts.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Yes, I am checking the my SPG account logging in with my new SPG number that was assigned to me. No, I have not merged accounts nor will I until this is fixed. They've screwed up enough, I'm not going to make things even more convoluted by combining accounts.
Have you pinged the Starwood Lurker yet?
Old Sep 6, 2018, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CPRich
First, please clarify what you've done and your current situation.
Had you previously linked your accounts? Have you combined your accounts? Did you have a previous balance at Marriott and, if so, what is showing in your old Marriott and/or combined account.
Wrong. SPG pts did not become Points until after the system updates on Aug 18th.

Originally Posted by Keyser
even if you linked accounts, the spg points would not have multiplied by 3 unless you transferred them over to marriott....the points would have automatically converted only after the 18th august merger....
Exactly.
On Aug 19th I was talking to a Marriott supervisor on the screwed up Travel Package certificate. She said she deposited 30K goodwill points to my Marriott account. I did not see it. When I logged out and logged back in with Marriott credentials, I was directed to the SPG site already switched to Marriott platform with the first 2 line entries being 3x of the AMEX earnings from Aug and Jul statements.

For about 10 min I kept getting the SPG info under Marriott log in. It was not until I switched to Incognito mode then I could go back to Marriott site, still did not see the goodwill pt entry but I could see my Marriott bal on the side bar indeed went up by 30K.

On that weekend, the SPG site had changed to Marriott site platform with the SPG logo, but it continued to flip back and forth with the real Marriott site - the only way I could tell which site I was on was by the point balances - the SPG pts become 3x Points on Aug 19th. It also got the new Marriott number above the existing SPG number. In the following 3 to 4 days the only way I could log in either Marriott or SPG account is thru Incognito or Private Browsing. Regular windows would give me errors no matter which site I tried to log in. That was how unstable the systems were during the first week after Aug 18th. Then by end of the week log in finally functioned normally.

I feel for those whose SPG pts went missing during this extremely poorly executed merger. Never see a merger that would have so much negative impacts to the customers, yet there is still no acknowledgement of real issues, no communication to both external and internal customers (the employees of various depts are the internal customers of the IT dept if there is one such dept in house. and not outsourced to China, that is.) Whoever gave the Go in the Go/No Go meeting should be fired.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.