FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   How was your first Starriott stay? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1928118-how-your-first-starriott-stay.html)

EuropeanPete Aug 30, 2018 11:50 am

How was your first Starriott stay?

Following the success of the "how was your last SPG stay" thread, I thought it could be instructive to see how the early combined programme stays are going. If you're staying at a hotel you've stayed at before and/ or were an elite in that scheme, there's probably little of interest (apart from system meltdowns), but I think it will be interesting to see how the crossover goes.

I've just checked into the St Ermin's Hotel for the first time as I've avoided Starriot entirely for the last 2 weeks. The hotel itself is lovely, and the check-in process for everyone is really very good - everyone is invited to a free drinks reception to kick off the evening, not something you see in London very often.

On the status side, I'm not sure it's quite working. I was welcomed as a "Marriott member" and when I asked for curiosity later on if the status came through OK I was told that my "Platinum" status had come through. I'm not sure if it's a training thing, a system error or my combined status not showing, but just a data point. I booked a base room and was given no upgrade - not to a Deluxe Room, not to an Executive Room and not to a Suite. Given the hotel pricing, I would say there is zero chance that they had no larger rooms available. My keycard specifies an 11am checkout. I'm not sure whether I would be allowed a 4pm checkout if I asked, but it was certainly not raised.

Based on this experience at least, I receive better loyalty recognition from a smaller chain I've stayed in 4 times than from Starriott which I'm now at 550 nights on. I'll give it some more tries, but for this stay my Platinum Premier Ambassador status was of no value.

VickiSoCal Aug 30, 2018 12:26 pm

Gaylord Opryland provided the same total lack of elite recognition they have always provided.

TravelinSperry Aug 30, 2018 1:21 pm

My first stay post Aug 18 was excellent. Welcomed and thanked for loyalty, upgraded to a Suite even though SNA was declined and treated as good as always. Only issue is that I haven't received stay or points yet and checked out 5 days ago. I'm sure it'll hit eventually.

UA-NYC Aug 30, 2018 3:00 pm

The Gwen, two night stay, booked a cheap last sec AAA rate, upgraded two levels to a Grand Deluxe room (big room - I had verified no suites or jr suites available).

All good as usual there, save for being unable to see my room type on the app.

pvn Aug 30, 2018 3:22 pm

LeVeque (Columbus OH). FDA recognized me as PP, no upgrade, but room on the top floor with a crappy view. Got what I was entitled to, nothing more. Same as my last stay there.

KiwiMarmion Aug 31, 2018 3:21 am

Stay at St Regis Singapore Monday.

Booking via Amex FHR

Recognised gold elite status. One category upgrade from executive deluxe to grand deluxe room, mentioned that if there was availability they would've arranged junior suite.

Requested 10am check in via app. Arrived at 9.20am and room was ready and we checked in.
Late check out of 4pm confirmed due to Amex FHR guarantee. Was requested that the we checked out prior to 5pm, key was programmed for 6pm check out.
Full breakfast was included due to Amex FHR booking.
Overall very impressed with stay, treated very well.

BRITINJAPAN4 Aug 31, 2018 4:32 am

Originally Posted by KiwiMarmion (Post 30151168)

Booking via Amex FHR

Recognised gold elite status. One category upgrade from executive deluxe to grand deluxe room, mentioned that if there was availability they would've arranged junior suite.

Requested 10am check in via app. Arrived at 9.20am and room was ready and we checked in.
Late check out of 4pm confirmed due to Amex FHR guarantee. Was requested that the we checked out prior to 5pm, key was programmed for 6pm check out.
Full breakfast was included due to Amex FHR booking.
Overall very impressed with stay, treated very well.

Yes , they are always happy to ungarde if its not possible, but if upgrades available to suits you will find they go very quiet

ckendall Aug 31, 2018 5:10 am

Four Points Brentwood Nashville recognized me as a plat (well PPE but who's counting) and was confused about breakfast benefit now that they were Marriott for plats but I tried to straighten them out (discussed elsewhere in the breakfast thread).

I'm more concerned about my return to Milan next month and how I am treated there (where I travel regularly for business) will determine my future with Starriott.

JBord Aug 31, 2018 7:16 am

Marriott Westchase Houston. Didn't thank me for loyalty or verbally recognize me as PPE. But all benefits were recognized, so I'm perfectly fine with that. I wouldn't normally pay attention to the check in recognition, but it was my first stay post-IT-merger. No upgrade, but was on the top club level (even though the lounge is off the lobby). I overheard one of the managers saying the next day they were booked full so no conspiracies. Overall, the stay was basically the same as every stay I've had over the years, which is fine with me.

kaizen7 Aug 31, 2018 10:52 am

Stay at Al Maha on 20/8. (havent merge the account yet by that time)
Recognise me as SPG PLT and granted me early check in (really early at 8 am)
No upgrade due to all suite resort (although some members said they got upgraded)
Hotel seems not very full
It was an amazing stays.

Previously, stayed at St Regis Sg on 18/8 Singapore time.
Checked in just when the system are down.
No issue during check in.

Kacee Aug 31, 2018 4:42 pm

At the SGS now and so far as I can tell nothing has changed. Which is of course a huge relief.

Another fantastic upgrade. (Which I think at this point has little to do with my published status level, which is still wrong.)

Originally Posted by KiwiMarmion (Post 30151168)

Booking via Amex FHR

They've told me that as a Plat, then given me a higher upgrade. But I don't think they like to upgrade to suites from a base room. Singapore in general not your best city for upgrades.

kaizen7 Sep 1, 2018 1:12 am

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 30153758)
At the SGS now and so far as I can tell nothing has changed. Which is of course a huge relief.

Another fantastic upgrade. (Which I think at this point has little to do with my published status level, which is still wrong.)

They've told me that as a Plat, then given me a higher upgrade. But I don't think they like to upgrade to suites from a base room. Singapore in general not your best city for upgrades.

they quite stingy with upgrade :D

StatusChallenged Sep 1, 2018 1:31 am

7 hotels, 4 pre and 3 post, all SPG. Zero upgrades post (not even a room category upgrade and 2 of them seemed to have plenty of higher level availability) and having lots of issues with MAGC

EuropeanPete Sep 1, 2018 1:55 am

With my second stay under the belt, it looks like Marriott has downgraded me to SPG Gold/ Marriott Platinum from Platinum Premier Ambassador (approaching 2x Ambassador spend limit for the year).

Checked into the fantastic Caresse and received an old SPG Gold keyfob. No upgrade despite the hotel being quite quiet, and no letter from the GM or bottle of wine which were conventional for SPG Plats. My Ambassador is still AWOL, so there’s nobody I can raise this with (if I am in the mood I might call into the general Ambassador line next week). I’m going to do 1-2 more stays, but if I am unable to realise my status I’m going to spend September and October with Hilton where I am at least Diamond.

xar Sep 1, 2018 3:09 am

sorry what property is SGS? And what room did u get in the end?

UA-NYC Sep 1, 2018 5:54 am

Originally Posted by StatusChallenged (Post 30154718)
7 hotels, 4 pre and 3 post, all SPG. Zero upgrades post (not even a room category upgrade and 2 of them seemed to have plenty of higher level availability) and having lots of issues with MAGC

1. did they recognize your status at your post-checkins?
2. did you challenge them on why you weren't getting any better rooms?

StatusChallenged Sep 1, 2018 8:20 am

Originally Posted by UA-NYC (Post 30155165)
1. did they recognize your status at your post-checkins?
2. did you challenge them on why you weren't getting any better rooms?

I only challenged at one, but after I had checked in - it seemed like mobile check-ins was auto assigning me a room and since I had already checked-in they wouldn't bother to check - like what Hilton would do.

UA-NYC Sep 1, 2018 8:37 am

Originally Posted by StatusChallenged (Post 30155502)
I only challenged at one, but after I had checked in - it seemed like mobile check-ins was auto assigning me a room and since I had already checked-in they wouldn't bother to check - like what Hilton would do.

FWIW I have a lot of experiences at checking in w/SPG 24 hours out, base room still shows, but then day-of, close to check in time I show an upgraded room type. It can change. Though you can't see it at the moment w/craptacular Marriott IT...

escape4 Sep 1, 2018 9:00 am

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete (Post 30154759)
Checked into the fantastic Caresse and received an old SPG Gold keyfob. No upgrade despite the hotel being quite quiet, and no letter from the GM or bottle of wine which were conventional for SPG Plats.

Wow, very disappointing. I am glad I am going to Bodrum EDITION instead, hopefully I will get better treatment there.

escape4 Sep 1, 2018 9:03 am

Athenee Bangkok, PPE+A repeat guest, booked entry level room and no upgrade despite better rooms (non-suites) available online.

EuropeanPete Sep 1, 2018 9:07 am

Originally Posted by escape4 (Post 30155638)
Wow, very disappointing. I am glad I am going to Bodrum EDITION instead, hopefully I will get better treatment there.

Editions give essentially no benefits for elite members, so it’s unlikely! Caresse is still a great hotel with great service, they’ve just been told I don’t often stay at Marriott hotels by corporate. Thanks guys.

mahasamatman Sep 1, 2018 9:22 am

Originally Posted by xar (Post 30154855)
sorry what property is SGS?

Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit

escape4 Sep 1, 2018 10:08 am

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete (Post 30155658)
Caresse is still a great hotel with great service, they’ve just been told I don’t often stay at Marriott hotels by corporate. Thanks guys.

:confused:
And where do they think you stay if you have AMB status?
:td:

UA-NYC Sep 1, 2018 11:03 am

Originally Posted by escape4 (Post 30155644)
Athenee Bangkok, PPE+A repeat guest, booked entry level room and no upgrade despite better rooms (non-suites) available online.

Same question - did you ask them why you weren't upgraded?

You would think a suite in BKK would be a layup for a PPE...or if not available, at least a Deluxe or equivalent

EuropeanPete Sep 1, 2018 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by escape4 (Post 30155852)
:confused:
And where do they think you stay if you have AMB status?
:td:

As I said above, as far as I can tell the hotel thinks i’m SPG Gold/ Marriott Plat - and it seems possible that all hotels are given this info by Corporare at the moment. I’ll try to dig into this at checkout tomorrow, and I have a stay in a different hotel tomorrow night for another check.

TopGunner Sep 1, 2018 2:19 pm

Sheraton Ikeja Lagos

- Stayed Aug 12-18 as SPG gold, both Amex match and stays, and SPG Amex Biz holder got my normal upgrade to club level and lounge access. Room upgrade is quite meaningful as I would learn later.

Merged accounts Aug 21, Marriott Gold now with 18 nights to Plat.

-Stayed Aug 27-31 as Marriott Gold with combined nights, no upgrade put in classic room. Later I was told I actually got a upgrade to a Classic Deluxe that has slightly better light fixtures. So in less than 10 days went from the Club level and longe, and good recognition, to walk in and here is your key to the hostel like room. I was amazed how a hotel can have such differences amongst its rooms

Likely my last stay at this hotel, can get more for my spend at the Radisson Blu across the road or even one of the local independent hotels.I cannot pay premium prices and get a fancy dorm.

While staff is always great, they just shrugged and seemed quite restricted with the new bosses.

dcchi Sep 1, 2018 2:51 pm

Plat Premiere lifetime member, all from the Marriott side of things. Decided to do a one night stay at my first SPG hotel today at the Westin Chicago Northwest. Not pleased at all. Asked about lounge and welcome gift/other benefits, and was told I was a Preferred according to spg (I reserved this reservation a couple of days ago, ie postAug 19th and via my Marriott account). At first I tried explaining that I was a Platinum Preferred elite which was higher than Platinum. The FDA apologized for the issues but said that on SPG, Pfd is below Silver/Gold/Platinum...

He said he would tell his supervisor to give me the points welcome gift (chances of that, anyone betting?) but of course the entire thing called into question all the platinum benefits like highest speed internet, breakfast, late checkout, upgrade availability. I have thankfully avoided hotel stays the past few weeks because I could, but this first toe dip in the water and I can feel just a little of the pain that others have been discussing!

Kacee Sep 1, 2018 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete (Post 30154759)
I’m going to do 1-2 more stays, but if I am unable to realise my status I’m going to spend September and October with Hilton where I am at least Diamond.

Yes, I'm going to start cancelling Marriott bookings.

There are some properties (such as SGS) that I'll continue to book regardless; otherwise I'm moving stays to Hilton until this is fixed.

Horace Sep 1, 2018 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by dcchi (Post 30156556)
At first I tried explaining that I was a Platinum Preferred elite which was higher than Platinum. The FDA apologized for the issues but said that on SPG, Pfd is below Silver/Gold/Platinum...

I wonder...

Is this bad training? Or a misleading computer system? Or both?

The old SPG status structure is dead. The new loyalty program does not have an status tier called Preferred.

I wonder what code the front desk sees. Perhaps, the agent sees something along the lines of PR for Platinum PRemier — which a front desk agent at a Starwood legacy property could read as PReferred.

This is unacceptable service. I would recommend to dcchi to speak to the manager on duty. The hotel not only owes it to dcchi to provide the appropriate benefits for a Platinum Premier Elite guest, but also to pay the penalty documented at https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/mem...s/guarantee.mi and in the terms & conditions.

The hotel owes dcchi $100 USD because of the hotel's failure to honor the Guaranteed Platinum Elite/Platinum Premier Elite Welcome Gift. At Westin, the gift choices are: "1,000 points per stay or amenity per stay or breakfast in restaurant per day (including resorts)."

If there is a lounge, the dcchi should have lounge access too. And the front desk should have made an effort to upgrade the room for a Platinum Premier Elite guest.

Kacee Sep 1, 2018 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by Horace (Post 30156770)
Is this bad training? Or a misleading computer system? Or both?

I would imagine there is some percentage of front desk staff who are going to seize on changes they don't understand as a reason to say "no." These sorts of people should not be in customer facing positions, but inevitably some of them are.

UA-NYC Sep 1, 2018 7:30 pm

Plat Premiere lifetime member, all from the Marriott side of things. Decided to do a one night stay at my first SPG hotel today at the Westin Chicago Northwest. Not pleased at all. Asked about lounge and welcome gift/other benefits, and was told I was a Preferred according to spg (I reserved this reservation a couple of days ago, ie postAug 19th and via my Marriott account). At first I tried explaining that I was a Platinum Preferred elite which was higher than Platinum. The FDA apologized for the issues but said that on SPG, Pfd is below Silver/Gold/Platinum...

He said he would tell his supervisor to give me the points welcome gift (chances of that, anyone betting?) but of course the entire thing called into question all the platinum benefits like highest speed internet, breakfast, late checkout, upgrade availability. I have thankfully avoided hotel stays the past few weeks because I could, but this first toe dip in the water and I can feel just a little of the pain that others have been discussing!

Why did you call yourself a “Platinum Preferred Elite” when that title doesn’t exist?

StatusChallenged Sep 1, 2018 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 30156726)

There are some properties (such as SGS) that I'll continue to book regardless; otherwise I'm moving stays to Hilton until this is fixed.

if you do, you should definitely email the hotel to explain why. not really sure much will improve other than mentioning these details at checkouts/checkins/cancellations

xar Sep 1, 2018 8:13 pm

actually did you show them your member card via the SPG app or did they choose the ignore that too?

escape4 Sep 1, 2018 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by UA-NYC (Post 30155996)
Same question - did you ask them why you weren't upgraded?

You would think a suite in BKK would be a layup for a PPE...or if not available, at least a Deluxe or equivalent

See details from my hotel review - I did not ask because I felt they were already being generous on other aspects given the rate I was paying, and it was only one night so not worth bringing it up.
http://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revie...t-perfect-2831

Indeed I agree with you that other issues aside, I was quite surprised that I did not get any upgrade at all.

dcchi Sep 2, 2018 3:44 pm

I will definitely be better prepared during my next Starriott visit, but to be honest, I got momentarily confused about Preferred vs. Premiere. I first thought he was seeing the level I was above Platinum (i.e., Platinum Premier), so I tried to explain that that was the higher level, but used Platinum Preferred instead of Premiere (since all the terminology is newish to me, I was confused at that moment). Also, I was carrying a bunch of junk with me and had my three kids with me, so I did not think of opening my MR app and showing my status. I was actually confused because he said that my SPG account showed me as not really having status, but what confused me was that my reservation was made fully via the Marriott website/app (I don't go through SPG.com or even have the SPG app at all). So, the only number that really should be associated with my account is my MR number.

In any case, not a good first post-merger experience...hope it gets better! Makes me reconsider my future stays I've booked at legacy SPG hotels coming in the next few weeks/months.

secretalcoholic Sep 2, 2018 4:13 pm

Stayed at Westin Montreal, acknowledged and thanked for being SPG...that's it, minimal benefits as usual with my experience as a SPG Gold and Platinum throughout the years.

Other than that, activities under my SPG account are not showing up/updating, so I have no idea how my points were given to me (and whether or not green choice was posted as well).

escape4 Sep 2, 2018 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete (Post 30155658)
Editions give essentially no benefits for elite members, so it’s unlikely! Caresse is still a great hotel with great service, they’ve just been told I don’t often stay at Marriott hotels by corporate. Thanks guys.

Checked in Bodrum EDITION yesterday, 2nd Starriott stay since August 18th. I booked a basic room on a points redemption and got upgraded to a fantastic sea view suite with 2 full bathrooms which sells for 3+ times the cash price of the basic room.

^

No breakfast elite benefit at the EDITION brand, but with this kind of upgrade who would complain. If I am not mistaken it's a 5-category room upgrade.

r3cycle19 Sep 3, 2018 4:02 am

We were upgraded to 2 ocean view suites on 5 night redemption stays at the Kota Kinabalu Marriott.
I think it’s their best rooms other then the presidential suite.

The Bangkok surawongse upgraded us to a m club room but allowed us to check in at 7am and have breakfast twice.

MSPeconomist Sep 3, 2018 6:00 am

I've done well with upgrades at the Singapore StR: always a genuine one bedroom (not junior) suite from a base level room, and I've been given suites above the category of their standard suite for the upgrade pool.

Originally Posted by kaizen7 (Post 30154693)

they quite stingy with upgrade :D

That hasn't been my experience.

Originally Posted by escape4 (Post 30155644)

Did you ask for an explanation?

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete (Post 30156302)

As I said above, as far as I can tell the hotel thinks i’m SPG Gold/ Marriott Plat - and it seems possible that all hotels are given this info by Corporare at the moment. I’ll try to dig into this at checkout tomorrow, and I have a stay in a different hotel tomorrow night for another check.

Did you ask how they see your status?

What is Platinum Preferred?

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 30156726)

Marriott only or Starriott?

Originally Posted by UA-NYC (Post 30157057)

Why did you call yourself a “Platinum Preferred Elite” when that title doesn’t exist?

This could have confused the hotel.

Originally Posted by xar (Post 30157135)

actually did you show them your member card via the SPG app or did they choose the ignore that too?

Yes, it's very different if you showed the hotel your correct status and the hotel refused to give you published benefits associated with the correct status level.

sanfran8080 Sep 3, 2018 7:15 am

Mine was good at the Orlando World Center.....the FD mgr is good looking... I asked her out and she told me I'd get the suite on my every stay.....I'm love being a Platinum Premier.. Bye Bye resort fee Don't hate me :)