Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How was your first Starriott stay?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2018, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by dcchi
Plat Premiere lifetime member, all from the Marriott side of things. Decided to do a one night stay at my first SPG hotel today at the Westin Chicago Northwest. Not pleased at all. Asked about lounge and welcome gift/other benefits, and was told I was a Preferred according to spg (I reserved this reservation a couple of days ago, ie postAug 19th and via my Marriott account). At first I tried explaining that I was a Platinum Preferred elite which was higher than Platinum. The FDA apologized for the issues but said that on SPG, Pfd is below Silver/Gold/Platinum...

He said he would tell his supervisor to give me the points welcome gift (chances of that, anyone betting?) but of course the entire thing called into question all the platinum benefits like highest speed internet, breakfast, late checkout, upgrade availability. I have thankfully avoided hotel stays the past few weeks because I could, but this first toe dip in the water and I can feel just a little of the pain that others have been discussing!
Why did you call yourself a “Platinum Preferred Elite” when that title doesn’t exist?
Old Sep 1, 2018, 7:50 pm

Programs: AA, Hyatt, Marriott, Hilton
Originally Posted by Kacee
Yes, I'm going to start cancelling Marriott bookings.

There are some properties (such as SGS) that I'll continue to book regardless; otherwise I'm moving stays to Hilton until this is fixed.
if you do, you should definitely email the hotel to explain why. not really sure much will improve other than mentioning these details at checkouts/checkins/cancellations
Old Sep 1, 2018, 8:13 pm
xar

Programs: Starriott Plat Premier
Plat Premiere lifetime member, all from the Marriott side of things. Decided to do a one night stay at my first SPG hotel today at the Westin Chicago Northwest. Not pleased at all. Asked about lounge and welcome gift/other benefits, and was told I was a Preferred according to spg (I reserved this reservation a couple of days ago, ie postAug 19th and via my Marriott account). At first I tried explaining that I was a Platinum Preferred elite which was higher than Platinum. The FDA apologized for the issues but said that on SPG, Pfd is below Silver/Gold/Platinum...
actually did you show them your member card via the SPG app or did they choose the ignore that too?
Old Sep 1, 2018, 9:54 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Same question - did you ask them why you weren't upgraded?

You would think a suite in BKK would be a layup for a PPE...or if not available, at least a Deluxe or equivalent
See details from my hotel review - I did not ask because I felt they were already being generous on other aspects given the rate I was paying, and it was only one night so not worth bringing it up.
http://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revie...t-perfect-2831

Indeed I agree with you that other issues aside, I was quite surprised that I did not get any upgrade at all.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 3:44 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold, AA Gold
I will definitely be better prepared during my next Starriott visit, but to be honest, I got momentarily confused about Preferred vs. Premiere. I first thought he was seeing the level I was above Platinum (i.e., Platinum Premier), so I tried to explain that that was the higher level, but used Platinum Preferred instead of Premiere (since all the terminology is newish to me, I was confused at that moment). Also, I was carrying a bunch of junk with me and had my three kids with me, so I did not think of opening my MR app and showing my status. I was actually confused because he said that my SPG account showed me as not really having status, but what confused me was that my reservation was made fully via the Marriott website/app (I don't go through SPG.com or even have the SPG app at all). So, the only number that really should be associated with my account is my MR number.

In any case, not a good first post-merger experience...hope it gets better! Makes me reconsider my future stays I've booked at legacy SPG hotels coming in the next few weeks/months.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 4:13 pm

Programs: SkyPesos -> MVP Gold 100K
Stayed at Westin Montreal, acknowledged and thanked for being SPG...that's it, minimal benefits as usual with my experience as a SPG Gold and Platinum throughout the years.

Other than that, activities under my SPG account are not showing up/updating, so I have no idea how my points were given to me (and whether or not green choice was posted as well).
Old Sep 2, 2018, 11:22 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
Editions give essentially no benefits for elite members, so it’s unlikely! Caresse is still a great hotel with great service, they’ve just been told I don’t often stay at Marriott hotels by corporate. Thanks guys.
Checked in Bodrum EDITION yesterday, 2nd Starriott stay since August 18th. I booked a basic room on a points redemption and got upgraded to a fantastic sea view suite with 2 full bathrooms which sells for 3+ times the cash price of the basic room.

^

No breakfast elite benefit at the EDITION brand, but with this kind of upgrade who would complain. If I am not mistaken it's a 5-category room upgrade.
EuropeanPete and bhrubin like this.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 4:02 am

We were upgraded to 2 ocean view suites on 5 night redemption stays at the Kota Kinabalu Marriott.
I think it’s their best rooms other then the presidential suite.

The Bangkok surawongse upgraded us to a m club room but allowed us to check in at 7am and have breakfast twice.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 6:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
At the SGS now and so far as I can tell nothing has changed. Which is of course a huge relief.

Another fantastic upgrade. (Which I think at this point has little to do with my published status level, which is still wrong.)

They've told me that as a Plat, then given me a higher upgrade. But I don't think they like to upgrade to suites from a base room. Singapore in general not your best city for upgrades.
I've done well with upgrades at the Singapore StR: always a genuine one bedroom (not junior) suite from a base level room, and I've been given suites above the category of their standard suite for the upgrade pool.

Originally Posted by kaizen7

they quite stingy with upgrade
That hasn't been my experience.

Originally Posted by escape4
Athenee Bangkok, PPE+A repeat guest, booked entry level room and no upgrade despite better rooms (non-suites) available online.
Did you ask for an explanation?

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete

As I said above, as far as I can tell the hotel thinks i’m SPG Gold/ Marriott Plat - and it seems possible that all hotels are given this info by Corporare at the moment. I’ll try to dig into this at checkout tomorrow, and I have a stay in a different hotel tomorrow night for another check.
Did you ask how they see your status?

He said he would tell his supervisor to give me the points welcome gift (chances of that, anyone betting?) but of course the entire thing called into question all the platinum benefits like highest speed internet, breakfast, late checkout, upgrade availability. I have thankfully avoided hotel stays the past few weeks because I could, but this first toe dip in the water and I can feel just a little of the pain that others have been discussing!
What is Platinum Preferred?

Yes, I'm going to start cancelling Marriott bookings.

There are some properties (such as SGS) that I'll continue to book regardless; otherwise I'm moving stays to Hilton until this is fixed.
Marriott only or Starriott?

Originally Posted by UA-NYC

Why did you call yourself a “Platinum Preferred Elite” when that title doesn’t exist?
This could have confused the hotel.

Originally Posted by xar

actually did you show them your member card via the SPG app or did they choose the ignore that too?
Yes, it's very different if you showed the hotel your correct status and the hotel refused to give you published benefits associated with the correct status level.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 7:15 am
Suspended

Mine was good at the Orlando World Center.....the FD mgr is good looking... I asked her out and she told me I'd get the suite on my every stay.....I'm love being a Platinum Premier.. Bye Bye resort fee Don't hate me
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 10:21 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Third stay and third set of issues. Checked into the Great Northern Hotel which is one of my London regulars. The staff know me and I was upgraded to a top level room as always.

Upon check-out I found that my breakfast was on the bill, which was because my membership number had not been transferred onto the system. It was quickly removed, but it looks like when I book either Starwood or Marriott stays at the moment I will be recognised as Starwood Gold equivalent at best, and non-member at worst. I've contacted my Ambassador and said that if it isn't fixed automatically or with manual intervention I was going to be taking a Starwood leave of absence until I hear that it's fixed.

One thing I have done is combining my accounts today. I am going to give Marriott another 2 tries this week to see if that helps.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.