Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

New email from SPG “you still need to merge your accounts”

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New email from SPG “you still need to merge your accounts”

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2018, 10:43 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Bonvoyed Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by yeunganson
What would accountants know what to do at big 4?Last thing IT guys need is business and accountant consultants. If they need help, they should have asked engineers reinforcememts like from IBM, Google or Microsoft. Pull one of those Obamacare website rescue operations.
So in a past life I was trying to get into big 4, basically doing dba. but specialize in business intelligence. Yes it touches on accounting and business. But its all about the data integration. Marriotts CTO should have asked anyone from big 4 to create a database that can pull relational data from both marriotts servers and spg servers. This would have been easy, just very labor intensive. This could have a been smoother then butter. It would have cost a pretty penny, but aug 18th would have been another day and we wouldnt be complaining 10 days after failed installation. I know what Im talking about. Big 4 works with all the companies you named.

Sorry Im not trying to sound like an a$$. I appreciate your comments and hope that we can learn from each other. This is a learning environment.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
You obviously dont know the Consulting business at the Big 4 is largely IT business together with integration of different systems used by different business units in a big corporation.

Google Accenture (Anderson Consulting) you will then know Big 4 is not just for business and accountant consultants.

Pure IT professionals would not know how to design a system without the much needed help from the business consultants input. Big 4 has specialized in combining both strength to address clients needs.
You are 1000% correct.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JfromTheBay
You are 1000% correct.
I know I am. Been in that environment in my previous life, working side by side with the IT professionals in the same projects I know exactly where you come from and what you talk about.
It does cost pretty penny to do a project in this scale but the outcome would have been much smoother.

Based on the initial leak long before the announcement made in April, about WHEN SPG site would go away (it was from a WeChat message of someone talking to his friend in mainland China, and was told by his friend that SPG site would be no more came August. Guy asked who come? His friend said because we were working on the project), I suspected the merger and migration was done in piece meal fashion to save cost, with many "items" outsourced to Mainland China. This kind of approach would require precision engineering to finally put all pieces together - apparently that aint happens here, so we now are in a gigantic mess.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 10:18 am

I'm still a bit confused why we have to do anything? I'm starting to feel like a Marriott employee with all the things they have been asking me to do: wait on telephone lines, fill in forms to get missing points added, link/merge accounts. It's not what I signed up for.
darcyt likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Just got one from Marriott now. Oy vey
Old Aug 28, 2018, 10:49 am

Same

Originally Posted by cardchak
I just merged accounts and lost my Marriott Rewards Platinum Premier number I have used for 15 years. Since Marriott won't answer the DAMN phone, I can't get any help.

EXACTLY THE SAME EXPERIENCE for so many.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by naumank
I also received the email this morning. I stopped paying attention. After the weekend of 8/18, I wrote on FT that the IT merge was a disaster. Immediately someone told me to calm down and said the merge was "better than UA/CO." Really? I didn't have any issue with my points and loyalty status during the UA/CO merger.
Yes, there are clearly brand ambassador shills on these boards that tell you YOU are wrong for expecting a smooth merger.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LAX
Me, too. Is there a deadline to combine the two?
LAX
Originally Posted by JfromTheBay
No.. and dont.. Just wait it out.. When Marriott gets desperate I hope they call in some consultants at the big 4. Throw some cash and get everyone on the same database and working properly. 9+ days and still not a smooth transition.
I am inclined to do that as well, even though only my MR points show up on spg.com; still missing all from my SPG account: 65K SPG points and upcomiing stays.

Originally Posted by naumank
I also received the email this morning. I stopped paying attention. After the weekend of 8/18, I wrote on FT that the IT merge was a disaster. Immediately someone told me to calm down and said the merge was "better than UA/CO." Really? I didn't have any issue with my points and loyalty status during the UA/CO merger.
Same here UA/CO no major issues.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 12:09 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood:Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada:Basic, Asiana:Lifetime Diamond Plus, ANA: Basic
I know I am. Been in that environment in my previous life, working side by side with the IT professionals in the same projects I know exactly where you come from and what you talk about.
It does cost pretty penny to do a project in this scale but the outcome would have been much smoother.

Based on the initial leak long before the announcement made in April, about WHEN SPG site would go away (it was from a WeChat message of someone talking to his friend in mainland China, and was told by his friend that SPG site would be no more came August. Guy asked who come? His friend said because we were working on the project), I suspected the merger and migration was done in piece meal fashion to save cost, with many "items" outsourced to Mainland China. This kind of approach would require precision engineering to finally put all pieces together - apparently that aint happens here, so we now are in a gigantic mess.
They should have put all the programming teams into a building in Marriott HQ occupying multiple floors so there are no time zone differences in meetings. They could also have gotten some external help from Google, IBM, Microsoft (my preferences) or the Big 4 (like other flyertalk suggests). If they are being cheap in did it in a cheap way, let them get some punishment in having bigger revenue loss than cost saved. The more catastrophic the mess, the longer the lesson learned will remain in corporate memory.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They should have put all the programming teams into a building in Marriott HQ occupying multiple floors so there are no time zone differences in meetings. They could also have gotten some external help from Google, IBM, Microsoft (my preferences) or the Big 4 (like other flyertalk suggests). If they are being cheap in did it in a cheap way, let them get some punishment in having bigger revenue loss than cost saved. The more catastrophic the mess, the longer the lesson learned will remain in corporate memory.
Here is what is leaked out on March 29. Pretty sure you may be able to read based on your FT handle that suggests to me you are Asian and may even be Chinese who can read the Chinese site.
https://www.uscreditcardguide.com/ru...e-from-august/

Just how to put programmers based in Mainland China to the same building occupied multiple floors and work?

BTW. MSFT would not be the preferred tech firm to handle this kind of data migration. Just another proof shows you really dont know how such projects should be done. BTW. MSFT would not be the preferred tech firm to handle this kind of data migration. Just another proof shows you really dont know how such data migration projects normally being handle. It is not much different than data mining via finding the relational data and sort thru the information found. With how poorly BING search engine has been, I dont believe MSFT would be better than the King of the King in this field - that is Google.

But a few engineers from any of the names you named, would NOT do any good. Big 4 is very well versed in doing this kind of projects, be it on smaller scale mergers or integrate the many business units on far flung global locations in a big Fortune 50 for example.

Marriott is just being cheap.

Unfortunately what you are seeing now, is the PUNISHMENT TO THEIR CUSTOMERS.

Revenue loss would be some but the magnitude remains to be seen as many could not avoid the chains due to its now huge footprints.
There are also many could not choose the chains they prefer due to the corporate travel contracts.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 1:56 pm

Talking

I understand where your coming from but its not realistic due to cost and manpower needed. Small projects can easily run 2 million+ and at least 12 months of work for a team. This is a big project, anytime you have an integration of different data its going to be expensive. What your asking for is not possible. I do agree that they did not deliver when they said they were going to do it and they had ample time to accomplish it, so the cheap way is not the best way...

Here is what is leaked out on March 29. Pretty sure you may be able to read based on your FT handle that suggests to me you are Asian and may even be Chinese who can read the Chinese site.
https://www.uscreditcardguide.com/ru...e-from-august/

Just how to put programmers based in Mainland China to the same building occupied multiple floors and work?

BTW. MSFT would not be the preferred tech firm to handle this kind of data migration. Just another proof shows you really dont know how such projects should be done. BTW. MSFT would not be the preferred tech firm to handle this kind of data migration. Just another proof shows you really dont know how such data migration projects normally being handle. It is not much different than data mining via finding the relational data and sort thru the information found. With how poorly BING search engine has been, I dont believe MSFT would be better than the King of the King in this field - that is Google.

But a few engineers from any of the names you named, would NOT do any good. Big 4 is very well versed in doing this kind of projects, be it on smaller scale mergers or integrate the many business units on far flung global locations in a big Fortune 50 for example.

Marriott is just being cheap.

Unfortunately what you are seeing now, is the PUNISHMENT TO THEIR CUSTOMERS.

Revenue loss would be some but the magnitude remains to be seen as many could not avoid the chains due to its now huge footprints.
There are also many could not choose the chains they prefer due to the corporate travel contracts.
Completely agree Marriott is being cheap and they screwed up. Im just astonished they arent admitting it, they wont communicate anything and the lack of customer service is horrendous. Can we let yeunganson go, lets just all be happy.. Happy
Old Aug 28, 2018, 2:56 pm

Programs: UA, HHonors, MarriotRewards
It's a total mess. Encourage everyone to start using #MarriottFixThisAlready hashtag on Twitter. This is a disaster of a merger/launch and a case study in how NOT to do customer service!
Old Aug 28, 2018, 4:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
I don't understand why if you've linked your accounts you then also have to merge them. Shouldn't Marriott have done that automatically for us? Anyway, I'm not doing anything until all my balances and nights are correct, even if that's Dec. 31st.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 8:09 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, Bonvoy Ambassador + LtG, Hyatt Globalist, United Silver
Originally Posted by justforfun
I don't understand why if you've linked your accounts you then also have to merge them. Shouldn't Marriott have done that automatically for us? Anyway, I'm not doing anything until all my balances and nights are correct, even if that's Dec. 31st.
I couldn't agree more. Unless you need immediate status through combining nights there is no reason to merge. Neither of my accounts are correct on their own so merging surely wont fix that.

Every time I message my ambassador he ignores my issues and is pushing me to merge...
Old Aug 28, 2018, 8:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Ambassador; Hyatt Globalist; B6 Mosaic
My entire elite history and yearly spend in _both programs_ and my lifetime status disappeared on the 18th. Neither has reappeared yet. *sigh* Waiting to combine until both accounts are fixed. It has been suggested I wait at elast another week before even trying to get it fixed.

Update: Everthing is correct on Starwood side, Marriott side still missing elite history and lifetime status. 10/17

Last edited by Well Red; Oct 17, 2018 at 9:32 pm Reason: Updated

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.