Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy Events program between Aug 18, 2018 and end of 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 22, 2018, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rustykettel
As of January 1, 2020 the 10 night credit per meeting has ended. Events will only earn points after Jan 1. Room blocks will still earn night credits per T&C.

Rewarding Events offers points and nights for events/meetings booked at 25 brands of Marriott hotels

Marriott Rewarding Events

Participating brands:
Ritz Carlton, St. Regis, JW Marriott, The Luxury Collection, W Hotels, EDITION, Marriott Hotels, Sheraton, Marriott Vacation Club, Delta Hotels by Marriott, Le Meridian, Westin, The Autograph Collection, Renaissance, Tribute Portfolio, Gaylord Hotels, Courtyard by Marriott, Four Points by Sheraton, Springhill Suites by Marriott, Protea Hotels by Marriott, Fairfield by Marriott, AC Hotels by Marriott, Aloft, Moxy Hotels, Element

Non-participating brands:
TownePlace Suites, Residence Inn, Marriott Executive Appartments, and Design Hotels

How to Book a Rewarding Event

There is an online interface to get quotes for meetings. Or you can call the sales office of each hotel you are interested in directly for a quote.

Rewarding Events Online Booking

Rewards

2 points per $1 USD or 1 mile per $1 USD spent per qualifying event (base members can earn up to 60,000 points; while Platinum Premier Elite members can earn up to 105,000 points per qualifying event).

Get 10 Elite Qualifying Nights for the first meeting — and achieve Silver Elite status automatically.

Earn one Elite Qualifying Night for every additional 20 room nights booked — up to 20 Elite Qualifying Nights per contract.

Note: Money spent on events reportedly does not count towards the $20,000 spend needed for Ambassador status.

Changes from Old Program

10 elite nights are earned only for the first meeting every year. Previously, it was 10 elite nights per meeting.

FAQ

Do I have to show up? - Maybe. Some people have no-showed at events and still had them post. Others have had no-shows that did not post.

What is a good rate? - Around $100 is considered a good rate for a meeting that lasts an hour or two.

What should I ask for if book a meeting just for the 10 elite nights? - It is recommended to ask for a meeting room for 2 people for 30 minutes or an hour. You can say it is for an interview. No audio/visual or catering is needed, and the meeting time is flexible.

Which hotels have the lowest rates for meetings? - Typically, the lower priced brands like Fairfield, Courtyard, etc., have small meeting rooms that can be less expensive. But it depends on the location.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy Events program between Aug 18, 2018 and end of 2019

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2019, 2:21 pm

Recommendations for Los Angeles / Orange County?

I’ve had two rewarding events under this program, and both have taken Herculean efforts to get the credits for - I’m talking multiple emails, calls, etc. I’ve read all the guides and followed the steps - but does anyone have any recommendations for specific hotels in Southern California? I don’t even mind paying more for the meeting rooms (I actually do have legitimate events) if it means I get the credit without having to spend hours following up. PM me if you do. Prefer locations with free parking given a choice.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 8:45 am

I had a meeting the 12/30, the nights posted that Monday prior to close of year. I held my sons birthday party at a courtyard yesterday as an event (it was honestly as economical as anywhere else and I wanted the 10 elite nights) and the nights already posted today! So the per year worked in my case. I'll be doing this again next January, easiest 10 elite nights for me.
craigthemif likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 10:33 am
Suspended

Last year , I have a few successful rewarding event , on of them only cost me 30 dollars , no problem getting 10 eligible nights. My meeting time is 19:00 pm , and there is nobody from the hotel event team there in the business center, they all left, only one staff there in the front desk of business center stand by. She didn't check my ID or anything or asking me to sign anything after/before I staring using meeting room, she only asking my name. Since I paid already. And I quickly earn 10 eligible nights after the event.

Now , I was wondering if can just reserve and paid, but no be there ? are they really going to check and notify the staff who posting the points that "if someone paid but not be there and using the meeting room, you are not going to post this bill..", from my experience , they only asking your name, nothing asking you to sign or check, maybe no body will check if you really be there, as long as you paid already, the staff will posting your points and nights after the reservation date passed, am my assumption right?
Old Jan 29, 2019, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Vince Chan
Last year , I have a few successful rewarding event , on of them only cost me 30 dollars , no problem getting 10 eligible nights. My meeting time is 19:00 pm , and there is nobody from the hotel event team there in the business center, they all left, only one staff there in the front desk of business center stand by. She didn't check my ID or anything or asking me to sign anything after/before I staring using meeting room, she only asking my name. Since I paid already. And I quickly earn 10 eligible nights after the event.

Now , I was wondering if can just reserve and paid, but no be there ? are they really going to check and notify the staff who posting the points that "if someone paid but not be there and using the meeting room, you are not going to post this bill..", from my experience , they only asking your name, nothing asking you to sign or check, maybe no body will check if you really be there, as long as you paid already, the staff will posting your points and nights after the reservation date passed, am my assumption right?
No-show never worked at every property, just a lot of them. Whether it works at the same number of properties, or fewer of them, that will take a lot of datapoints to figure out.

Your safest bet for a no-show crediting would be to use a property which has been known to reliably no-show credit in the past. But don't assume that a random hotel with no record of credit no shows has credited them in the past, much less will credit them in the future.

Remember, someone had to clean your meeting room afterwards, perhaps the next morning when the meeting staff was there, and if they'd said "the room was never unlocked, no chairs were moved, etc" then some people (even if a minority) might say "ok, no credit then". So don't assume that even on your past stays, that what you saw demonstrated that they couldn't tell if you had or hadn't been there.
MSPeconomist and craigthemif like this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 2:22 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
About once or twice a year I get contacted by a sales manager in the useless Marriott sales office trying to get my business.

When I first started doing events I made the mistake of using a Ritz-Carlton national sales manager for everything. Of course, he got a lot of commission from me from just being a middle-man. He never delivered as much as complimentary club lounge access or even asking me out for drinks, despite probably $400,000 in two years of business. So, two years ago I stopped working with him and started contacting properties myself. I've found I get much better rates and better concessions. But I still never get anyone from Marriott sales calling me up, despite a significant amount of annual spend.

Here's what she said:

Hello [name] ,

I hope this email finds you doing well.

I work in the National Group Sales office of Marriott International. If you do not already have a point of contact at Marriott, it will be my pleasure to help you obtain pricing for room blocks or function space rental from any of our global Marriott brand hotels.

Please share my contact information with any of your colleagues who might benefit from my assistance. Our service is complimentary and meant to save you the time and effort of contacting multiple Marriott brand hotels to compare pricing.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Warm Regards,

[Name]
My response:

Dear [Name],

Thanks for your email outreach. I appreciate it.

As you may know, we've done probably $600,000 in events with Marriott -- mostly at Ritz-Carlton, Luxury Collection, Renaissance, Westin and J.W. Marriott branded properties -- in the last three or four years. Last year, 2018, we chose to no longer exclusively use Marriott properties because of negative changes to the loyalty program. Moreover, the numerous properties that game the system to not provide the benefits that come with the loyalty program's elite status has been deeply frustrating.

Specifically:

1) Events are no longer crediting the event planner with 10 elite qualifying nights per year.
2) Event spending doesn't count -- not even a fraction of it -- toward the $20,000 spending threshold for Marriott's new top-level ambassador
elite status.

I understand Marriott wants its loyalty program to reward the best customers: those who spend the most nights and spend the most dollars. However, taking away a benefit from event planners and not counting even a fraction of event spending toward the ambassador status threshold has cost Marriott our exclusive business. As a direct result, we ended up doing $150,000 in business with non-Marriott properties last year.

With kind regards,

[Name]
Her response:

Hello [Name],

Thank you for sharing your concerns with me regarding Marriott Rewards program. The good news is that Marriott is working on a new BonVoy program which will be launching soon. BonVoy is in the early stages and will evolve to help best meet the needs of all travelers. I will note your concerns regarding planners and will gladly send you any updates if changes are made down the road that could benefit you.

In the meantime, please feel free to reach out to me when you want to compare pricing between any Marriott brand hotel worldwide.
My response:

Thanks for your response.

I’m fully aware of the new name, but nothing has changed. The fact that corporate leadership is unwilling to listen to customers such as myself is most unfortunate. The amount of business I’ve given Marriott isn’t insignificant.

I don’t foresee giving Marriott any of the $200,000 I have budgeted for 2019, unless it makes changes.
She didn't respond.
Happy, cruisr, bubbelbine and 1 others like this.

Last edited by hockeyinsider; Jan 30, 2019 at 9:31 am Reason: typo
Old Jan 30, 2019, 2:38 am

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
About once or twice a year I get contacted by a sales manager in the useless Marriott sales office trying to get my business.

When I first started doing events I made the mistake of using a Ritz-Carlton national sales manager for everything. Of course, he got a lot of commission from me from just being a middle-man. He never delivered as much as complimentary club lounge access or even asking me out for drinks, despite probably $400,000 in two years of business. So, two years ago I stopped working with him and started contacting properties myself. I've found I get much better rates and better concessions. But I still never get anyone from Marriott sales calling me up, despite a significant amount of annual spend.
That response about the new program name is actually baffling. Do they think someone spending that kind of money who also raised a number of points regarding arcane program details is some idiot who can be tricked into thinking the name change has any practical implications? Just unreal. I cannot even imagine getting that kind of response if I was a customer discussing spend on that scale.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 1:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG

Here's what she said:

My response:

Her response:

My response:

She didn't respond.
What do you expect her to say? She knows the programme sucks and she can't give you the old benefits. Have you found other places to host your events?
Old Jan 31, 2019, 4:27 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: SkyTeam Elite, HH Gold, Marriott Titanium

Here's what she said:

My response:

Her response:

My response:

She didn't respond.
Your post got me thinking a bit about what Marriott should be doing to get your business. I don't think putting that spend/nights on Ambassador is fair, as some people will game the system if it is tied to that status. (Similar to the 10 night plat thing before) I am thinking they should give you something like a corporate code for discount rates on rooms when you do book rooms, or lounge coupons you can give to your clients (or keep) or something that appeals to the business side of what you are doing. 200k a year is a lot of spend, they should be doing something to give you an incentive to use Marriott. Free night certs would also be something I can see as useful. Use them yourself, or give to clients. If you are doing it at 35-50k a night hotels, the certs should be for that range too.

Anyways, if Marriott is listening, time to get your butt moving on how to retain corporate/business clients.

My company only does about $20k of spend at meetings a year, and this year since I am in charge of one meeting, I am using my MR number to get the 10 nights.

(I was also thinking 200k a year of spend on meetings on the SPG/MR credit card is A LOT of points a year. Hope you are getting the same return on investment going elsewhere.)
Old Jan 31, 2019, 6:33 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
As I still do not understand if I would get ten nights for a meeting this year, has anyone who ran a "Rewarding Events" meeting last year (2018) ran a meeting this year (2019) and received the ten nights, for this years meeting?
Old Jan 31, 2019, 6:49 am

Originally Posted by Long Distance
As I still do not understand if I would get ten nights for a meeting this year, has anyone who ran a "Rewarding Events" meeting last year (2018) ran a meeting this year (2019) and received the ten nights, for this years meeting?
Yes I did. My meeting was on 12/30 and 1/27. Received nights for both.
rmc1, meehgz and Ontariotraveller like this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 7:03 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by Handcake
Your post got me thinking a bit about what Marriott should be doing to get your business. I don't think putting that spend/nights on Ambassador is fair, as some people will game the system if it is tied to that status. (Similar to the 10 night plat thing before) I am thinking they should give you something like a corporate code for discount rates on rooms when you do book rooms, or lounge coupons you can give to your clients (or keep) or something that appeals to the business side of what you are doing. 200k a year is a lot of spend, they should be doing something to give you an incentive to use Marriott. Free night certs would also be something I can see as useful. Use them yourself, or give to clients. If you are doing it at 35-50k a night hotels, the certs should be for that range too.

Anyways, if Marriott is listening, time to get your butt moving on how to retain corporate/business clients.

My company only does about $20k of spend at meetings a year, and this year since I am in charge of one meeting, I am using my MR number to get the 10 nights.

(I was also thinking 200k a year of spend on meetings on the SPG/MR credit card is A LOT of points a year. Hope you are getting the same return on investment going elsewhere.)
You would think maybe a good sales manager -- if I was in sales or business development I certainly would do it -- would ask me to dinner and discuss my business. I have no doubt there are countless clients spending over $200,000, but that's still not an insignificant sum.

Among the reasons I stopped using the Ritz-Carlton sales manager were the Ritz-Carlton San Juan and Ritz Carlton St. Thomas properties. I did something like 8 events over the course of a year at both properties, through the same sales manager, and couldn't get even a uite upgrade or complimentary club lounge access. I only returned to those properties because my client likes islands. I have a new client that is much more demanding and, as a result, I'm much more assertive in contract negotiation and almost always get what I want.

Marriott could easily count 10% of event spend toward ambassador status. You can't really game the system anymore because you don't get 10 elite-qualifying nights per event. And if you do an event without a rooming component -- only banquets or meeting space -- you won't get any nights, except your first event of the year.

Originally Posted by nacho

What do you expect her to say? She knows the programme sucks and she can't give you the old benefits. Have you found other places to host your events?
Independent hotels. I had an event last week, but stayed at the nearby Courtyard so I could still get the points and status benefits.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by mykidissmarterthanyou
Yes I did. My meeting was on 12/30 and 1/27. Received nights for both.
Wait, this would be a world record. You ran a meeting on January 27th (four days ago) and already have the ten nights (and points) credit?
Old Jan 31, 2019, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by Long Distance
Wait, this would be a world record. You ran a meeting on January 27th (four days ago) and already have the ten nights (and points) credit?
You must have missed my post.
Check 808.

Charged, email from corporate and nights all posted within a couple of hours!
Old Jan 31, 2019, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by YoungBubbie

You must have missed my post.
Check 808.

Charged, email from corporate and nights all posted within a couple of hours!
I did miss it. THANK YOU!

Old Jan 31, 2019, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by Handcake
Game the system... by spending 20k+?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.