Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Athens, Greece

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2021, 1:41 pm
Original Poster

Been a few years since we visited last. The Athens Marriott was de flagged and just a regular hotel. I think it’s a Marriott again?

Going to celebrate a milestone with a large family (all adults). What’s best? Worth it for Grand Bretagne or the King George?

Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 17, 2021, 10:31 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
The KB and KG are great hotels, but rates this season have been higher than ever. If you can afford them, I would go for it…
Old Oct 18, 2021, 6:56 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Did you search the forum? There are numerous discussions on this topic and the general consensus is that the GB is the best and worth the price/points if you want that location and want to stay at a Grand Dame kind of hotel. For milestones it would be the way to go.
Old Oct 19, 2021, 2:49 pm
Original Poster

thanks. I am not the best at searches but I did one... all the posts were a couple of years old so wanted to see if there was anything new...

appreciate all the info!
Old Oct 21, 2021, 6:18 am

Programs: communist, liberal and love Campbell's Cream of Chicken Soup
KG and GB are right on Syntagma Square, super close to all things downtown and plaka. I've never stayed at either albeit having had coffee there or so but oddly will probably be doing so following week. I have stayed at Academias which is couple blocks from former properties, very nice smaller boutiquy Autograph place. The neighborhood is grafittid but safe (close to University). There, you are nestled between Kolonaki and Monastiraki... Stayed at New Hotel on Syntagma Square as well...not the grandness of KG or GB and rooms are a little unique in design but very comfortable and you are basically right in the Plaka zone.
jtp1947 likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2021, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by Monoboy
I have stayed at Academias which is couple blocks from former properties, very nice smaller boutiquy Autograph place. The neighborhood is grafittid but safe (close to University). There, you are nestled between Kolonaki and Monastiraki... Stayed at New Hotel on Syntagma Square as well...not the grandness of KG or GB and rooms are a little unique in design but very comfortable and you are basically right in the Plaka zone.
We were definitely NOT impressed by the Academia especially due to the tiny rooms and service issues we experienced. The hotel was beautiful but the service was lackluster unless you were a rich Greek and then they waited on you hand and foot. They were also not overly truthful about the hotel facilities (rooftop bar wasn't even opened yet but was highly featured on their website) and they definitely fibbed on the upgrade availability.

The OP asked about a "celebrating a milestone" so as you mentioned the GB and KG should really be the only hotels under consideration for him.

We've also stayed at the Fresh Hotel and that was nice and functional but definitely not for a "milestone" event type of hotel.
enelym1978 likes this.

Last edited by christianj; Oct 22, 2021 at 11:40 am
Old Oct 23, 2021, 5:00 pm

lol. leave it to a guy from Greece to get called out for sharing info...i'm in the shadow of Cherman precision, clearly.
christianj likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2021, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by Monoboy
lol. leave it to a guy from Greece to get called out for sharing info...i'm in the shadow of Cherman precision, clearly.
If you are referring to my post....I wasn't trying to call you out...sorry.....just merely giving my opinion on the Academia and confirming the KG or GB would be the way to go. Didn't even realize you were "a guy from Greece" but that might explain why you got good service at the Academia. During our stay they literally waited hand and foot on any Greek staying there. It was ridiculous at breakfast as a Greek guy didn't get up from his table to get anything from the buffet himself and the head guy had two people bringing him everything. We on the other hand had to literally bend over backwards to get them to pay attention to us. As I said, this was about a month or two after they opened so hopefully the service all round has improved but I would not stay there again. The room they gave us was a shoe box and when I complained they had the nerve to tell me that they had some of the largest rooms in Athens. This might be true if you add in the space allocated to the large bathroom which was spacious but the room itself had about a foot on each of the three sides of the bed were you could move and we had a wonderful view of the fire escape.

When we go back we will again stay at the GB if we want that Grand Dame feel or back at the functional Fresh Hotel. We were going to try the New Hotel you mentioned but our last trip was cancelled in 2020 when Covid hit.
Old Oct 25, 2021, 7:29 am

All good Christian and you are spot on. Ironically, am staying at GB next week (if Etna cloud allows for me to get into Athens etc.)...Another unique spot that may be off the grid and is a Marriott joint is The Periscope hotel in Kolonaki. It has none of the grandeur that GB or KG do but is smack in shadow of Lycabettus. If you are ok with a hill or two it is in heart of Kolonaki. The penthouse suite with deck, jacuzzi is about same price as rack rate of Syntagma cousin properties. Just an idea. Travel safe mon ami.
christianj likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2021, 4:57 am

yep...Grande Bretagne is a grand dame...just finished a three night stay there and SNAs came through for a Grand Suite city view with a ginormous terrace that was great for evening cocktail. Not published but shower is actually a steam shower, bonus in my book. Everyone at this property is on point, courteous and professional. Ditch the 1000 point amenity and do have Breakfast where you can select from both a la carte and well appointed buffet elements. Roof top bar is great and the view of the A-Crop is stellar from there. Lots of International deal makers doing their thing. ChristianJ above is spot on.
Old Nov 6, 2021, 11:49 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
The slang term "the A-Crop" is a new one on me, and I am worried that it might be contagious.
Monoboy likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 12:10 pm

Programs: UAL- 1k, Marriot Platinum, Starwood Gold, Hyatt Plat.Hilton Gold VIP
Best Property in Athens, Greece for Platinums

My girlfriend and I are traveling to Athens in late July and wondered which property is best in benefits for a Platinum? I booked the Athen FS Marriott for now due to the M Club Access.
I’m open minded and would appreciate everyone’s insight.
Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 2:16 pm

Master threads for GB and KB, and an older thread on Greece, in case this helps at all:
King George (Luxury Collection), Athens, Greece [Master Thread]
Hotel Grande Bretagne, Athens, Greece [Master Thread]
Marriott Bonvoy hotels in GREECE [Master Thread]
christianj likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 3:59 pm

leatherheadiowa How long are you staying in Athens? Sorry to say the Marriott would likely be my last choice due to location. It might be good for elite benefits but that would not be my main criteria especially if you are in town for a night or two. If it’s a special trip I would splurge for the GB or KG. The rooftop elite breakfast as the GB is very nice but there is no lounge.

The links rrgg provided are a good start to read up on the options.

Last edited by christianj; Jun 22, 2022 at 4:11 pm
Old Jun 23, 2022, 10:16 am

Programs: Accor Gold, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond , Amex Platinum
I stayed this week at Marriott Athens and Moxy and few months ago at Fresh Hotel and New Hotel (and Marriott too)

I would choose always the Marriott (new / hard product / roof top bar & pool / lounge / free parking / very comfy / etc) but it’s located at Piraeus and I need more often to stay near Athens center

Moxy to be honest is nothing special but very new … no parking and the nearest one at 300 mt (not the best by walk with the luggage). Typical fast food restaurant as Moxy’s. From the 2nd floor you can hear noise from the street in the night.

The Fresh and the New hotels are located not in the best area of Athens …very bad buildings in their areas …

I would choose always the New Hotel (roof terrace / much better restaurant/ private garage Underground) but often the rates are 60-70% more than at The Fresh

the fresh is not bad, recent property, garage (ext) just in front of the hotel

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.