FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Marriott Bonvoy ‘Ambassador Elite’ Level : experiences (2020 and earlier) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1906860-marriott-bonvoy-ambassador-elite-level-experiences-2020-earlier.html)

HHonors OUTSIDER Mar 2, 2019 8:22 am

Originally Posted by UA-NYC (Post 30838576)
The more I think about it...not sure if the Ambassador program as currently executed would be worth it even w/o the $20K spend.

Have to spend 25 more nights in bed, and for that you get a few add'l points per dollar (on a weakening value point currency), a decimated Your24 benefit, and some vague promise of slightly better / more dedicated service that has fallen off a cliff post-8/18...not that compelling.

Ambassador Status gives a few more additional points per dollar? I thought it was the same as Titanic Status 75% bonus??

RogerD408 Mar 2, 2019 8:42 am

Originally Posted by HHonors OUTSIDER (Post 30838775)
Ambassador Status gives a few more additional points per dollar? I thought it was the same as Titanic Status 75% bonus??

Correct, check out https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/member-benefits.mi and you will see the only benefit offered by reaching Ambassador level is Ambassador Service and Your 24. Everything else is available to Titanium members. So if your Ambassador is not performing and properties are allowed to refuse Your 24, then there is no advantage to making the nights and spend requirements.

MSPeconomist Mar 2, 2019 8:50 am

Originally Posted by RogerD408 (Post 30838681)
I've had the maternity card played before (not from an Ambassador) but still no excuse for lack of service. Given what you've said, I doubt Marriott actually took any steps but it was your Ambassador that actually set the out of office greeting before leaving the office.

Nothing says you have to stop travelling. There are backup Ambassadors available when needed. Maybe not in this case, but some have reported getting better service from the pool than their assigned person. If their program is so dependent upon one individual then they have really failed, not saying they haven't. I have refrained from voting in the Freddies as I want an "Anybody but Marriott" option.

Of course you don't have to stop traveling as there's always Hyatt, Hilton,......

If Starriott wants to make a big deal of personalized Ambassador service, there should be some more personalized way to help clients of an Ambassador with a scheduled six month absence and this all should have been planned in advance. [Pregnancy is known in advance of the leave; it's not like someone having a first heart attack and suddenly facing a very long medical absence. Employers and employees make advanced contingency plans to cover anticipated absences due to pregnancy all the time.]

IMO the Ambassador's clients should have been informed in advance and offered the choice of either a temporary Ambassador or of just being reassigned a new permanent Ambassador at this point. How hard is that for Bonvoy to do for a small number of its "best" customers?

RogerD408 Mar 2, 2019 9:24 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 30838864)
Of course you don't have to stop traveling as there's always Hyatt, Hilton,......

If Starriott wants to make a big deal of personalized Ambassador service, there should be some more personalized way to help clients of an Ambassador with a scheduled six month absence and this all should have been planned in advance. [Pregnancy is known in advance of the leave; it's not like someone having a first heart attack and suddenly facing a very long medical absence. Employers and employees make advanced contingency plans to cover anticipated absences due to pregnancy all the time.]

IMO the Ambassador's clients should have been informed in advance and offered the choice of either a temporary Ambassador or of just being reassigned a new permanent Ambassador at this point. How hard is that for Bonvoy to do for a small number of its "best" customers?

I agree, it should have been worked out long before the Ambassador's last day. And I give NO CREDIT to Marriott for setting the Ambassador's VM greeting, as it was most likely the Ambassador themself that took that action. Keep in mind this is a company that thought allowing you to book one night for standard cash rates and one night for standard points on the same reservation was equivalent to the industry standard C+P rates. If makes me wonder if any of the higher ups spend any time looking at other programs let alone being a member in other programs. I recall reading someone stating members have become a commodity sold to the investors just like we are being sold to the social media advertisers.

UA-NYC Mar 2, 2019 9:36 am

Ah yeah I forgot only the extra points are for Tit vs. Plat. So even less of a reason to go for Amb.

bhrubin Mar 2, 2019 11:04 am

After my recent stays at both the RC Coconut Grove (pre-upgraded from paid entry level room to Partial Bay View suite) and StR Bahia Beach (SNA upgrade from award entry level room to Garden View St Regis Suite), I’d say my Ambassador status has considerable value for anyone who appreciates upgraded rooms and suites and elevated treatment and recognition/service recovery while on property.

My stays weren’t perfect by any means. Yet I was treated like a VIP whenever I shared my concerns or complaints. Ultimately, the RCCG GM called me from home, and the StRBB Director of Rooms got involved to resolve my issues, as well. There’s no question that I was treated far better because of my Ambassador status. Heck, the parking valet at the RCCG recognized me on arrival—despite that being my first time ever on property!

I also enjoyed considerable service recovery due to some fails—recovery I doubt the average elite would receive. At the RCCG, I was credited half my night rate and downgraded to a regular room after an air con fail in the suite bedroom. At the StR BB, I was credited $900 after various misses and fails...and that’s on an award stay. They also gave us free massages by way of apology for some of the fails. I’d say the hotels did right by us, even as they aren’t quite ready for prime time.

TommyC80 Mar 2, 2019 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by C17PSGR (Post 30798082)
I'm also curious. That being said, the new Ambassador level is easier to meet than the legacy Plat Premier level.

You think so? I spent no where near $20k the years I qualified for PP. and that was back in the day when you got UA Gold status...which was the best part of it. not these seemingly useless ambassadors.

HHonors OUTSIDER Mar 2, 2019 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by UA-NYC (Post 30839023)
Ah yeah I forgot only the extra points are for Tit vs. Plat. So even less of a reason to go for Amb.

I was and still am surprised that Ambassador level doesn't receive 100% bonus? Two of Marriott Loyalty Program's major competitors Hilton Honors Diamond and IHG Club Spire give 100% bonus and thats without requiring the $20,000 annual spend.

helvetic Mar 2, 2019 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by bhrubin (Post 30839298)
After my recent stays at both the RC Coconut Grove (pre-upgraded from paid entry level room to Partial Bay View suite) and StR Bahia Beach (SNA upgrade from award entry level room to Garden View St Regis Suite), I’d say my Ambassador status has considerable value for anyone who appreciates upgraded rooms and suites and elevated treatment and recognition/service recovery while on property.

My stays weren’t perfect by any means. Yet I was treated like a VIP whenever I shared my concerns or complaints. Ultimately, the RCCG GM called me from home, and the StRBB Director of Rooms got involved to resolve my issues, as well. There’s no question that I was treated far better because of my Ambassador status. Heck, the parking valet at the RCCG recognized me on arrival—despite that being my first time ever on property!

I also enjoyed considerable service recovery due to some fails—recovery I doubt the average elite would receive. At the RCCG, I was credited half my night rate and downgraded to a regular room after an air con fail in the suite bedroom. At the StR BB, I was credited $900 after various misses and fails...and that’s on an award stay. They also gave us free massages by way of apology for some of the fails. I’d say the hotels did right by us, even as they aren’t quite ready for prime time.

Things have stabilized somewhat but I feel like I'm treated as an Ambassador now like an old SPG Platinum would have been, whilst from what I hear service has dropped off a cliff entirely for those who don't have Ambassador.

I have not received any upgrades beyond the expected standard upgrades in a really long time.

I do appreciate finally getting recognized as an Ambassador Elite guest instead of Platinum these days.

kaizen7 Mar 2, 2019 12:57 pm

In terms of upgrade, I havent yet receive something special.
I even got no upgrade during my last stay at St Regis Sg.
(The crown prince of Abu Dhabi staying there during my stay) ��

The only difference I got is notes from my ambassador ��

C17PSGR Mar 2, 2019 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by TommyC80 (Post 30839583)
You think so? I spent no where near $20k the years I qualified for PP. and that was back in the day when you got UA Gold status...which was the best part of it. not these seemingly useless ambassadors.

I think qualifying for legacy PP was harder than 100 nights/20k although the criteria wasn't published. I haven't tracked my spending but it was my understanding that i required a multi-year track record. I normally have 125-150 nights, so I'm assuming it was over $20k.

Plus, while not every hotel recognized PP, I certainly had better treatment then, compared to now, in terms of suite upgrades, notes, and surprise room service gifts.

Originally Posted by HHonors OUTSIDER (Post 30839604)
I was and still am surprised that Ambassador level doesn't receive 100% bonus? Two of Marriott Loyalty Program's major competitors Hilton Honors Diamond and IHG Club Spire give 100% bonus and thats without requiring the $20,000 annual spend.

The additional benefits of Ambassador level is certainly a bit more "fuzzy" although we're only two weeks into a name that is more distinct. That being said, in my last stay, I was greeted as a Titanium Ambassador!

HHonors OUTSIDER Mar 2, 2019 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by C17PSGR (Post 30839831)
I think qualifying for legacy PP was harder than 100 nights/20k although the criteria wasn't published. I haven't tracked my spending but it was my understanding that i required a multi-year track record. I normally have 125-150 nights, so I'm assuming it was over $20k.

Plus, while not every hotel recognized PP, I certainly had better treatment then, compared to now, in terms of suite upgrades, notes, and surprise room service gifts.

The additional benefits of Ambassador level is certainly a bit more "fuzzy" although we're only two weeks into a name that is more distinct. That being said, in my last stay, I was greeted as a Titanium Ambassador!

I would like to see Marriott offer an option to opt out of Ambassador service and Your 24 in exchange for 100% bonus points instead of 75%. This plan might lower the work load for Ambassador Service Agents.

hockeyinsider Mar 2, 2019 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by bhrubin (Post 30839298)

I largely agree. Since January, I'm 99% for a suite upgrade and four of my last five stays have included welcome or thank you notes from the general manager or guest relations manager. However, I'd take the worst room in the hotel fo breakfast or lounge access at Ritz-Carlton.

myperks Mar 2, 2019 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider (Post 30840441)
However, I'd take the worst room in the hotel fo breakfast or lounge access at Ritz-Carlton.

This. But not the worst room, just standard at least :D

EuropeanPete Mar 2, 2019 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by C17PSGR (Post 30839831)

I’ve now been greeted as a Titanium guest for the last three times in a row. Today I got a “special welcome as a Titanium Guest, our highest level of valued customers”. I didn’t want to spoil his spiel :)