Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy ‘Ambassador Elite’ Level : Ambassador experiences [Master Thread]

Marriott Bonvoy ‘Ambassador Elite’ Level : Ambassador experiences [Master Thread]

    Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 2, 20, 9:43 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: HHQX888
Wiki Link
Ambassador Service general email address: [email protected]

Ambassador Service general phone line (USA): (866) 924-9885

Europe: +353-21-4861 222
USA: +1-866-924-9885
Asia : +86-20-38157156

Print Wikipost

Old Jul 31, 20, 9:22 am
  #3436  
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: London
Programs: BAEC Gold; Marriott Ambassador
Posts: 28
I’ve had both in the EU. Had a couple of emails from my Ambassador but also from the wider team.
Soulfish is offline  
Old Jul 31, 20, 12:34 pm
  #3437  
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Dayton, OH/CVG
Programs: DA Diamond(1 MM), Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador/Charter Ambassador, Hertz Presidents Circle
Posts: 485
Originally Posted by Mr. BoH View Post
You won't get "one", at least not right now. Since the pandemic started, they have moved to a "pooled ambassador" system. So if I reach out to my (former?) Ambassador, a random person from the pool replies. I have no idea if my ambassador was furloughed, laid off, or just doesn't happen to be the one replying to my request. No idea when (if?) they will transition back to the "normal" method.
this has also been my experience. I email my "old" personal ambassador and get "random" ambassador to respond.
damnyourefine and cbono like this.
Ryno1234 is offline  
Old Aug 1, 20, 6:25 am
  #3438  
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: London
Programs: BAEC, EK Skywards, WY Sindbad, Marriott 'Bonvoy' :/, IHG, Hilton Honors, Golden Circle
Posts: 3,256
I also seem to get a random different Ambassador each time as a European member.

On the plus side, since I resumed traveling in July the Ambassador service has become much higher touch, presumably because they have much less to do right now! Have had a proactive reach out email and hand written notes at each of my last three stays (St. Regis Mardavall, Domes Miramare, Mystique where I just checked in) welcoming me back from the Ambassador service as one of my first stays back with Marriott.
lost_in_translation is offline  
Old Aug 1, 20, 8:15 am
  #3439  
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
Posts: 1,922
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation View Post
I also seem to get a random different Ambassador each time as a European member.

On the plus side, since I resumed traveling in July the Ambassador service has become much higher touch, presumably because they have much less to do right now! Have had a proactive reach out email and hand written notes at each of my last three stays (St. Regis Mardavall, Domes Miramare, Mystique where I just checked in) welcoming me back from the Ambassador service as one of my first stays back with Marriott.
My stay experienced have been the opposite, absolutly no ambassador interaction with the hotels. Very much now had to take the decision to contact a hotel myself and get details after some misleading information from Ambassadors.

Compared to the standard of service and hotel welcoming when I had a dedicated Ambassador currently the service is very poor. They do respond quickly to emails, which is a sign of them being quiet, although considering many of the responses unsure how many are actually trained Ambassadors and how many just standard customer service.

While still having some stays they are certainly loosing a decent percentage of my business at the moment.
UKTraveller4Fun is online now  
Old Aug 1, 20, 8:30 am
  #3440  
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 589
Do you think Marriott will quietly waive the $20k spend for Ambassador this year if you reach over 100 nights?
globaltrotter is offline  
Old Aug 1, 20, 8:37 am
  #3441  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: India
Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Posts: 27,487
Originally Posted by globaltrotter View Post
Do you think Marriott will quietly waive the $20k spend for Ambassador this year if you reach over 100 nights?
unlikely....they have gifted so many nights to everyone....reaching 100 nights will not be a big deal for many people who would not have reached it under normal circumstances....
SPN Lifer likes this.
Keyser is offline  
Old Aug 1, 20, 9:23 am
  #3442  
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: London
Programs: BAEC, EK Skywards, WY Sindbad, Marriott 'Bonvoy' :/, IHG, Hilton Honors, Golden Circle
Posts: 3,256
Originally Posted by UKTraveller4Fun View Post
My stay experienced have been the opposite, absolutly no ambassador interaction with the hotels. Very much now had to take the decision to contact a hotel myself and get details after some misleading information from Ambassadors.

Compared to the standard of service and hotel welcoming when I had a dedicated Ambassador currently the service is very poor. They do respond quickly to emails, which is a sign of them being quiet, although considering many of the responses unsure how many are actually trained Ambassadors and how many just standard customer service.

While still having some stays they are certainly loosing a decent percentage of my business at the moment.
Disappointing to hear!
lost_in_translation is offline  
Old Aug 1, 20, 9:31 am
  #3443  
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
Posts: 1,922
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation View Post
Disappointing to hear!
Yeah, you would think in the current climate Marriott would be doing all it can to retain the people still travelling! I would have hit 100 actual nights this year anyway but looks like quite a bit of that will go elsewhere! Its not like I am staying in anything below a cat 6, in fact last 3 stays have all been Cat 8.
UKTraveller4Fun is online now  
Old Aug 2, 20, 4:22 am
  #3444  
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: BHX
Programs: BA GGL CCR, Marriott Ti, HH Diamond, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card
Posts: 6,596
Marriott, like Hilton, have the issue that they can’t differentiate between US status and ROW status.

There are a plentitude of ‘road warriors’ out in the US who easily bang through 100+ nights in Courtyard type, low cost hotels. Similarly there are Asian properties with low price points that people use for very long stay purposes. That’s why the spend requirement exists.

Fortunately, threads like these exist to highlight the fact that it’s really not worth bothering with unless you’re hitting it organically regardless.
Wozza2404 is offline  
Old Aug 2, 20, 6:20 am
  #3445  
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
Posts: 1,922
Originally Posted by Wozza2404 View Post
Marriott, like Hilton, have the issue that they can’t differentiate between US status and ROW status.

There are a plentitude of ‘road warriors’ out in the US who easily bang through 100+ nights in Courtyard type, low cost hotels. Similarly there are Asian properties with low price points that people use for very long stay purposes. That’s why the spend requirement exists.

Fortunately, threads like these exist to highlight the fact that it’s really not worth bothering with unless you’re hitting it organically regardless.
It is exactly what I have found over the years my Ambassador managed to do, differentiate between the types of guests and where focus should be put. It was what the Ambassador service was founded for. It certainly hasn't been what it was for a long time, but now we are in the depths of new lows and whether Platinum, Titanium or Ambassador I really do not think there is a difference.

​​​​​Fair play to Marriott for extending status, but considering it hasn't been offering the service the status is meant to give it really had to. I this is a golden chance being lost by Marriott and rather than gain loyalty during this period they are pushing myself and other ambassador guests away into the arms of welcoming competitors. So short sighted!
DJ_Iceman likes this.
UKTraveller4Fun is online now  
Old Aug 3, 20, 3:03 am
  #3446  
Company Representative, Marriott Bonvoy
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Programs: Marriott Bonvoy
Posts: 434
Originally Posted by UKTraveller4Fun View Post
My stay experienced have been the opposite, absolutly no ambassador interaction with the hotels. Very much now had to take the decision to contact a hotel myself and get details after some misleading information from Ambassadors.

Compared to the standard of service and hotel welcoming when I had a dedicated Ambassador currently the service is very poor. They do respond quickly to emails, which is a sign of them being quiet, although considering many of the responses unsure how many are actually trained Ambassadors and how many just standard customer service.

While still having some stays they are certainly loosing a decent percentage of my business at the moment.


If you would like us to pass this feedback to Ambassador team, please PM us your account number and the information Ambassador provided.

Best Regards,

Abbey L
Specialist, Social Media
Marriott International
[email protected]
Marriott Bonvoy Lurker II is offline  
Old Aug 14, 20, 5:33 pm
  #3447  
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Programs: United 1K
Posts: 130
Originally Posted by CarbonTraveler View Post
I'm in my second year of being an Ambassador and after asking for assistance only twice and receiving very little help on the first request and absolutely no help on the second request I'd say the Ambassador service is practically useless. If anyone is aiming to make a stretch to for Ambassador, I would advise against it. Maybe I'm in the minority here or I don't spend enough to make me as special as other Ambassadors but I never receive anything from my Ambassador for any of my stays. Short or long. Luxury or economy.

For my last request I emailed my assigned ambassador and the general ambassador email asking for some help in locating a Marriott branded quarantine hotel in Taipei. At the time the Aloft Beitou was booked full. Gave dates of arrival and all necessary info. I received two emails. One from my assigned ambassador saying that she was out of the office and one from another ambassador that just said she would make contact with Marriott employees in Taipei to see if they can give some assistance. That was weeks ago. Crickets since.

TBH, reading some of the great service reports here makes me wonder what my team and I are doing wrong considering that everyone on my team that travels is an Ambassador Elite member and we all get the same lack of attention.

Regarding upgrades. I have just come to expect that I am not getting a room upgrade. Pandemic travel or not. Most times the FDA says that you for being an Ambassador Elite, I have given you a room upgrade I walk into a room and it looks identical to the room I booked. I'd rather just not be given an upgrade to be disappointed.

Sorry this post sounds grim but I feel like the Ambassador status is mostly worthless unless you are someone that enjoys chasing status for sake of having it.
I reached out to my ambassador with the same question. His reply was amazingly helpful.
Resonant Programmer is offline  
Old Sep 25, 20, 9:04 am
  #3448  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: DAY
Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Plat Premier (+AMB); Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Posts: 7,680
So, Ambassador level service continues to decline markedly.

5 night paid stay at Full Service Marriott in New Jersey. Lounge not open, no breakfast amenity even though on-site restaurant is open. Voucher for 1 free coffee, but not open until 6:30 AM.
At check in, was assigned normal room. When I asked about any upgrade available, they went through a 5 minute process to unblock a larger room. When asked if upgrades were not pre-assigned for ambassador guests, they replied with a straight face "we have many elite guests, so larger rooms are not always available".
Note: Never more than 30 cars in the parking lot throughout the week. And they apparently block larger rooms in the system anyway.
No reason to return to this hotel on my next of many upcoming trips to the area.

Also this week called the Ambassador team to make a new reservation using a 7 night cert. Agent that answered was incompetent. Took over 20 minutes, she had no clue how to use their systems, and stated she had never seen a 7 night certificate before. While on the line with her, I checked the reservation and it had a big, bold red note that points would come out of my account to cover the certificate. She "guaranteed" that it would not happen.
It happened. Checking today, 150,000 points were taken from my account, as well as a 7 night certificate. So another call today to try and get it straightened out.

I get COVID presents challenges. It does to me and my business as well.
But it's like Marriott isn't even trying anymore.
goodeats21 is offline  
Old Sep 25, 20, 11:15 am
  #3449  
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
Posts: 1,922
Originally Posted by goodeats21 View Post
So, Ambassador level service continues to decline markedly.

5 night paid stay at Full Service Marriott in New Jersey. Lounge not open, no breakfast amenity even though on-site restaurant is open. Voucher for 1 free coffee, but not open until 6:30 AM.
At check in, was assigned normal room. When I asked about any upgrade available, they went through a 5 minute process to unblock a larger room. When asked if upgrades were not pre-assigned for ambassador guests, they replied with a straight face "we have many elite guests, so larger rooms are not always available".
Note: Never more than 30 cars in the parking lot throughout the week. And they apparently block larger rooms in the system anyway.
No reason to return to this hotel on my next of many upcoming trips to the area.

Also this week called the Ambassador team to make a new reservation using a 7 night cert. Agent that answered was incompetent. Took over 20 minutes, she had no clue how to use their systems, and stated she had never seen a 7 night certificate before. While on the line with her, I checked the reservation and it had a big, bold red note that points would come out of my account to cover the certificate. She "guaranteed" that it would not happen.
It happened. Checking today, 150,000 points were taken from my account, as well as a 7 night certificate. So another call today to try and get it straightened out.

I get COVID presents challenges. It does to me and my business as well.
But it's like Marriott isn't even trying anymore.
I have given up with Ambassador Service and just contacting hotels directly. I then judge by the response from the hotel if they are a property I wish to stay at or not and there is a huge difference in attitude I am finding between different Marriott properties! I agree that there is a feeling with Corporare that they have given up and just don't believe there is business out there to win atm, thankfully some hotels have not adopted the same attitude but don't use the Ambassador service to try and find out as you may find the issues you then face are the Ambassador Service getting it wrong or forgetting to reply or more recently replying with no relevenance to what I asked!!!

Marriott are seeming more like a company that got lucky due to timing rather than great leadership which made them so big they just made money as the demand out stripped supply, now thats reversed the lack of leadership and ideas is showing and filtering down. Just like a great hotel, leadership starts at the GM and their attitude filters down and is infectious, maybe a poor choice of words at the moment but apt all the same!
SPN Lifer and margarita girl like this.
UKTraveller4Fun is online now  
Old Sep 25, 20, 1:25 pm
  #3450  
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Programs: SPG100, United GS, HA P70K
Posts: 387
Originally Posted by UKTraveller4Fun View Post
I have given up with Ambassador Service and just contacting hotels directly. I then judge by the response from the hotel if they are a property I wish to stay at or not and there is a huge difference in attitude I am finding between different Marriott properties! I agree that there is a feeling with Corporare that they have given up and just don't believe there is business out there to win atm, thankfully some hotels have not adopted the same attitude but don't use the Ambassador service to try and find out as you may find the issues you then face are the Ambassador Service getting it wrong or forgetting to reply or more recently replying with no relevenance to what I asked!!!
This has been my MO since the program merger. There were simply too many service failures from the Ambassador Service that it was easier to just contact hotels directly.
damnyourefine is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: