Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy ‘Ambassador Elite’ Level : experiences (2020 and earlier)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 4, 2018, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: HHQX888
Ambassador Service general email address: [email protected]

Ambassador Service general phone line (USA): (866) 924-9885

Europe: +353-21-4861 222
USA: +1-866-924-9885
Asia : +86-20-38157156

Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy ‘Ambassador Elite’ Level : experiences (2020 and earlier)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2020, 8:47 am

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Spot-on, arlflyer. And things like a suite upgrade in an otherwise empty hotel, or a simple hand-written note cost nothing yet potentially gain so much.
arlflyer likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2020, 12:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
In an email exchange earlier this week concerning missing points from a prior stay, Ambassador Service wrote:
I wish you a lovely stay at Courtyard San Diego Del Mar/Solana Beach tomorrow.
Great, I thought, finally getting some of that proactive Ambassador intervention others have mentioned. So imagine my surprise at being assigned a dumpster view King at said property. When I expressed my disappointment to Ambassador Service (with pic - see below), I got the following response:
Please kindly note that the upgrades are a subject to availability
Never mind that I had actually booked an upgraded room, which was unavailable due to "planned renovations."

I wound up at Hyatt Regency Mission Bay, where I was upgraded to Marina View Corner Suite, on a points stay, benefitting from Hyatt's awesome award promo (25% points rebate, free parking).

Point, Hyatt.

Oh and here's the view from my room at CY Del Mar/Solana Beach:

Ambassador = Worthless!
margarita girl and UA-NYC like this.
Old Jul 14, 2020, 1:15 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by Kacee
In an email exchange earlier this week concerning missing points from a prior stay, Ambassador Service wrote:

Great, I thought, finally getting some of that proactive Ambassador intervention others have mentioned. So imagine my surprise at being assigned a dumpster view King at said property. When I expressed my disappointment to Ambassador Service (with pic - see below), I got the following response:

Ambassador = Worthless!
It's a Street View/ City View. And there are renovations occuring at a condo at the Seascape Chateau across the street. Hence, there's a temporary construction dumpster. Every room on that side of the building has a view of that work site. They should update their room descriptions every time something occurs across the street?

You're being unreasonable. Ambassador Service was right to reply the way they did.
Old Jul 14, 2020, 1:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by clublounger
It's a Street View/ City View. And there are renovations occuring at a condo at the Seascape Chateau across the street. Hence, there's a temporary construction dumpster. Every room on that side of the building has a view of that work site. They should update their room descriptions every time something occurs across the street?

You're being unreasonable. Ambassador Service was right to reply the way they did.
lol, I paid for an Executive King, which they were unable to provide.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2020, 1:38 pm

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by clublounger

Some hotels are simply stingy with upgrades or have poor customer service when you attempt to follow up.

I doubt the hotel was anywhere near full capacity even considering renovations. Only OP can provide more information, but if I had to guess based on my experience some properties will avoid upgrading guests unless there is some pushback or at all costs.

For example, I stayed at Avenue of the Arts earlier this year and they had only a handful of guests due to the pandemic and they absolutely refused to upgrade me to an Executive Suite. The first reason was “we don’t upgrade guests to this room type if they are staying more than one night.” After some back and forth with the GM I was upgraded to a Junior Suite.

There was nothing special about either room either. It felt like a 2 star airport hotel attempting to be trendy. I cannot fathom why they would withhold a room upgrade, especially to a room category they considered eligible. They had numerous Executive Suites unoccupied and for sale.

I learned to avoid that hotel because of the poor customer service and the quality simply isn’t worth the cost.
Old Jul 14, 2020, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Kacee

Never mind that I had actually booked an upgraded room, which was unavailable due to "planned renovations."

I wound up at Hyatt Regency Mission Bay, where I was upgraded to Marina View Corner Suite, on a points stay, benefitting from Hyatt's awesome award promo (25% points rebate, free parking).

Point, Hyatt.

Oh and here's the view from my room at CY Del Mar/Solana Beach:

Ambassador = Worthless!
So the fact that you picked a select service hotel that does not have a single suite to upgrade you to, means that Ambassador service is worthless for not getting you upgraded to a suite the same way as it happened at a Hyatt Regency? I get it. I would be disappointed at that too.

Edit: they do call the executive rooms a suite now. So there are "suites" on site.

Last edited by CPH-Flyer; Jul 14, 2020 at 5:36 pm
Old Jul 14, 2020, 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
So the fact that you picked a select service hotel that does not have a single suite to upgrade you to..
The property has studio suites.
Old Jul 14, 2020, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by damnyourefine
The property has studio suites.
Really, tried to book something better than a room once I was staying there. Nothing but rooms and an executive room came up. I'll need to have a look again then, though not real outlook for me to go to the San Diego area anytime soon.

Edit: just checked the website, there are "suites", as what used to be an executive room is now a suite. A proper bathtub seems to be the only real difference to the normal King room. Though living in Japan, I do value a proper bathtub.

Last edited by CPH-Flyer; Jul 14, 2020 at 5:38 pm
Old Jul 14, 2020, 5:40 pm

Really, tried to book something better than a room once I was staying there. Nothing but rooms and an executive room came up. I'll need to have a look again then, though not real outlook for me to go to the San Diego area anytime soon.
Yes sir, they have them tomorrow for $152 AAA rate. It’s 85 sqft larger than the base rate room and only $25 more.

If I were staying there and they didn’t have a valid operational reason to deny to upgrade me to said room I wouldn’t stay again. That’s just me though.

If it were a higher end property and a substantial difference in room quality and upkeep, and rate I would understand not being upgraded (eg a specialty suite).
Old Jul 14, 2020, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by damnyourefine
Yes sir, they have them tomorrow for $152 AAA rate. It’s 85 sqft larger than the base rate room and only $25 more.

If I were staying there and they didn’t have a valid operational reason to deny to upgrade me to said room I wouldn’t stay again. That’s just me though.

If it were a higher end property and a substantial difference in room quality and upkeep, and rate I would understand not being upgraded (eg a specialty suite).
For me it would really depend on the stay whether I prioritise an upgrade. Private stays, yes as I probably spend more time at the hotel than on work trips, work trips with a weekend included certainly matters as there will be a lot of private time at the hotel, work trip week days only, I really don't care as I will more or less only be in the room to sleep

Higher end properties should upgrades to suites as well. I'd probably be more inclined to ignore the missing upgrade at a Courtyard where there is an insignificant difference, than at a full service property where it is an actual suite. 85 square feet, about 7 square meters, and still just one room is probably not what will make me notice the difference anyway.
Old Jul 14, 2020, 10:20 pm

I agree with your logic, but I focus more on the experience.

I spend my dollars where I am treated well and the business is open and honest. I avoid businesses where they aren’t honest or straightforward.

Granted, there’s probably minimal differences between those two rooms at that CY, but if they aren’t upfront with why they are refusing to upgrade to a clearly eligible room category I don’t want to return.

Plenty of hotels treat AE guests well, but not that one.
Old Jul 15, 2020, 1:33 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
With current low occupancy rate, it would be hard for a property to create an excuse not to upgrade elites especially ambassadors.
Old Jul 15, 2020, 1:47 am

Originally Posted by kaizen7
With current low occupancy rate, it would be hard for a property to create an excuse not to upgrade elites especially ambassadors.
With low occupancies and shortened staff levels, it is not unusual for properties to take entire building sections or room floors off inventory.
Old Jul 15, 2020, 1:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MePlatPremier
With low occupancies and shortened staff levels, it is not unusual for properties to take entire building sections or room floors off inventory.
Potentially get some due or overdue renovations and refreshes done while the occupancy is anyway low.
Old Jul 15, 2020, 7:38 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA ExecPlat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
Potentially get some due or overdue renovations and refreshes done while the occupancy is anyway low.
That would be nice, but I think most hotels are not going to be spending much on discretionary renovations anytime soon.
jasonp622 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.