FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Hotel Republic, Autograph Collection - San Diego, CA [Master Thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1871998-hotel-republic-autograph-collection-san-diego-ca-master-thread.html)

C17PSGR Jan 17, 2018 11:04 am

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider (Post 29300974)
When it was a Renaissance, the rates were pretty cheap compared to other properties and San Diego's generally lower hotel rates.

I don't think its a function of rates. On top of our recent posters experience, I don't think I've stayed at any other Marriott properties where I've seen people in handcuffs on an elevator on two different stays. And ... the guys in handcuffs seemed pretty calm, suggesting it wasn't their first time. This property might have a reputation among the locals that we aren't aware of.

Kacee Jan 17, 2018 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by C17PSGR (Post 29304361)
I don't think I've stayed at any other Marriott properties where I've seen people in handcuffs on an elevator on two different stays.

I wonder if you have to pay extra for that.

fotoflyer88 Feb 1, 2018 6:00 pm

Update: I received an email from the Hotel guest services manager after I sent an email/survey responses about some of the issues I experienced. After some delay (possibly due to an email issue) I received a reply that I felt was genuine and sincere:
"We will be looking into this situation regarding the breakfast charge and seeing how this occurred and making sure it does not happen in the future. Also, for the guest arguing in the hall I have spoken to our security team to make sure that in these situations they stay in the hall and do rounds to make sure the guests that are being disturbing stay quiet... I would like to offer you a one night complimentary stay certificate to come back to the hotel so we can provide the service that we pride ourselves on providing to our guests."

I did not ask for anything (and likewise I never 'demand' compensation) - so I particularly appreciate the offer of a certificate to try the property again. Will of course report back when I do that. If anyone needs to get in touch with the manager themselves send me a PM and I would be happy to provide that to you.

bsdstone Oct 16, 2018 10:10 am

Considering staying here for a convention in February...anyone know if with the new program we get lounge access, or what the platinum amenity is?

broadwayboy Feb 23, 2019 8:48 pm

Any recent experience here? How's their treatment to Plats/Titaniums? Thinking of staying on a Friday night, so I assume I will get a voucher for breakfast? The other property I am considering is The Westin SD. Thanks!

Nuhusky Feb 23, 2019 11:51 pm

They have a lounge now.

Treatment is decent but all the rooms are the same unless you get a corner room. You should expect a high floor, none of the rooms have views at all. I find this a comfortable property and now that it has a lounge a good location in sd

my only complaint is the lounge opens around 7 I beleive. It really should open earlier

hockeyinsider Feb 24, 2019 4:29 am

I can see why this property didn't make it branded as a W or even a Renaissance. The rooftop pool, beyond being pathetically small, gets almost no sunshine because it's not actually on the rooftop.

khabah Feb 24, 2019 5:16 am

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider (Post 30815277)
I can see why this property didn't make it branded as a W or even a Renaissance. The rooftop pool, beyond being pathetically small, gets almost no sunshine because it's not actually on the rooftop.

The pool was nixed to make space for the Veranda Lounge. According to this review [[url]https://www.travelcodex.com/review-hotel-republic-san-diego-renaissance/] from February 1st, 2019, the lounge grants access to "Marriott Rewards Gold members and above", and they are "entitled to free breakfast and happy hour in the Veranda Club Lounge. Breakfast is served from 7:00 AM to 9:00 AM and happy hour is served from 4:00 PM to 6:00 PM. Breakfast was decent but happy hour wasn’t very happy at all. For happy hour, there were only a few drink options and some very light snacks. Breakfast was more substantial with hot options such as oatmeal, scrambled eggs, potatoes and bacon/sausages and cold options such as whole fruits, pastries and cereal."

From what I've gathered online, happy hour entails complimentary wine, beer, soda and light snacks. Not to look a gift horse in the mouth, but free drinks in America? Hey hey.

khabah

hockeyinsider Feb 24, 2019 6:14 am

Originally Posted by khabah (Post 30815370)
The pool was nixed to make space for the Veranda Lounge. According to this review [[url]https://www.travelcodex.com/review-hotel-republic-san-diego-renaissance/] from February 1st, 2019, the lounge grants access to "Marriott Rewards Gold members and above", and they are "entitled to free breakfast and happy hour in the Veranda Club Lounge. Breakfast is served from 7:00 AM to 9:00 AM and happy hour is served from 4:00 PM to 6:00 PM. Breakfast was decent but happy hour wasn’t very happy at all. For happy hour, there were only a few drink options and some very light snacks. Breakfast was more substantial with hot options such as oatmeal, scrambled eggs, potatoes and bacon/sausages and cold options such as whole fruits, pastries and cereal."

From what I've gathered online, happy hour entails complimentary wine, beer, soda and light snacks. Not to look a gift horse in the mouth, but free drinks in America? Hey hey.

khabah

I wonder if the the removal of the pool is the reason why it was re-flagged to Autograph Collection not long after re-flagged from W to Renaissance. Most Renaissance properties in North America have a pool.

Nuhusky Feb 24, 2019 7:25 am

Yes lounge was installed where the pool was. I’d rather a lounge over a pool

gordyboy69 Jun 10, 2019 4:04 am

planning to stay next year could someone provide me with the email address of the hotel?

thanks

Nuhusky Jun 10, 2019 4:33 am

Update on a recent stay that has changed my mind on this property. They used to have nice comforters as a sheet set however they appear to have swapped out their comforters for courtyard quality sheets

scratchy and not pleasant. Used to be my go to hotel in downtown

unfortunately for the sheets alone I must look elsewhere

JONEZY00 Jul 1, 2019 8:27 am

Had a three night stay last week. No room upgrade was offered nor requested. We were given breakfast in the main restaurant on Sunday (lounge closed) which was exceptional. The Mon-Fri lounge breakfast was fine and having an outdoor seating option was nice and well used. Evening Lounge Happy hour was an unexpected benefit. They had 4-6 wines to choose from, Stella Artois and a local IPA for beer. Room was nothing exceptional, but was on a high floor and quiet which is my main request. All in all a solid stay and would return.

Score8 Jul 1, 2019 2:30 pm

As a W, this was one of the first non-black/dark themed hotels. I liked it. The rooftop was cool, though I was never here when there were more than a couple of people.

DELee Jul 1, 2019 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by Nuhusky (Post 30815660)
I’d rather (have) a lounge over a pool

Now that would be a _cool_ lounge - and quite novel for San Diego!

;)

David