Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Reservation Cancellation Policies (General Discussion)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Reservation Cancellation Policies (General Discussion)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2019, 11:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Yes, frustrated, and also frustrated by the reminder emails that don't show cancellation deadline, room type, rate, or rate plan. All they tell me is that I have a reservation and the current one says "not found" when I click the link.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 3:56 pm

So here's my cancellation question. Looking at a cash reservation in London and this is the cancellation policy "non-refundable if cancelled more than 1 day after booking" So does that mean if I book today I can cancel tomorrow and not get charged?
Old Feb 22, 2019, 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by TA
I'm not sure if this has been covered before amid the general gripes about the Marriott.com reservations website, but I thought to discuss it.

The SPG.com booking site used to give very specific cancellation criteria, like:

Now the Marriott.com site is much more vague:

What does 1 day before mean? Any time on the day? 24 hours before official check-in time? Unhelpful.

I have given feedback via the phone agents, but who knows if it'll ever get passed along to someone with authority to improve this.

Is anyone else frustrated by this?
I had a recent stay where the cancellation terms had the "until February 21, 2019" language. When I called the hotel, they were able to look up my confirmation # and discover that I had until 11:59pm on February 21, 2019 to cancel. So YMMV, and it helps to call the property if you can. My guess is that it's property specific, which is even more confusing.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Cxl policy does not match between website and email conf

Just booked a room for next week on Marriott.com. Stay starts on March 12. When I booked the room the website told me the cancellation policy is 2 days before arrival [March 10, 2019].

The email confirmation says I can cancel the room until "Saturday, March 9, 2019 [2 days before arrival]". So which is it?

Assuming the 10th, is the cancellation allowed until 11:59pm on the 10th, midnight on the 10th, or...?

This is the first time I've noticed the email is different from the website. Or maybe since the change to Bonvoy, Marriott can't figure out what 2 days before a particular date is.

-RM
Old Mar 13, 2019, 1:24 am

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
Originally Posted by damon88
I think this highlights a difference between the ways Starwood has done things and the way Marriott has done things. I wondered if I was being dense when I read and reread the language on the new combined program. Several sections seemed purposely designed to be vague and open to interpretation when there are clear and simple ways to state things.

Starwood:
CANCELLATION POLICY
If you cancel between Mon, 04 Sep 2017 and 6:00 PM hotel time on Tue, 10 Oct 2017, there will be no forfeiture amount. If you cancel after 6:00 PM hotel time on Tue, 10 Oct 2017, the forfeiture amount will be a 1 night stay. There may be additional applicable charges and taxes.

Totally clear.

Marriott:
Cancelling Your Reservation

You may cancel your reservation for no charge until September 6, 2017 (2 day[s] before arrival).

Subject to interpretation

Marriott has demonstrated that they are willing to evolve and improve. Supposedly a main goal of the merger is to "eventually build a newer, stronger loyalty program that play[s] to the strengths of each one."

This is one area IMHO where Marriott can learn from Starwood.

I think the issue is with the system Marriott used.

I have future reservation which I book at

Member Rate Advance Purchase

You may cancel your reservation for no charge until May 2, 2019 (1 day[s] before arrival).

I got an email from the hotel yesterday informing me that they fail to charge my card. When I asked them why they are charging me now as the booking is still almost 2 months away. This is the reply I got

Kindly to inform you the special rate you have chosen is require a full deposit and non-refundable. There is a wrong information for cancellation policy that we put in the system. Therefore, we honor that you can pay this room reservation upon check in on 03 May 2019.
And this is from the legacy SPG hotel.

So I guess, the rate system used my Marriott must be quite bad.

I believe this is not the first time I saw that kind of Rate (Advance Rate but cancelable)
Old Mar 18, 2019, 12:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors LTDia, Marriott Plat
I just booked a points reservation for Blacksburg VA for 4/11 (24 days from now) and the cancellation message was " Redemption, non-refundable if cancelled less than 30 days before arrival".

I don't ever remember making a points stay at a "regular" hotel with a 30 day cancellation limit. Is this the new Bonvoy standard?
Old Mar 18, 2019, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by TSparky
I just booked a points reservation for Blacksburg VA for 4/11 (24 days from now) and the cancellation message was " Redemption, non-refundable if cancelled less than 30 days before arrival".

I don't ever remember making a points stay at a "regular" hotel with a 30 day cancellation limit. Is this the new Bonvoy standard?

Hi,

I think there have been an increasing number of posts here regading increased cancellation limits and charging cash penalties too ( some are now 60 days) -is there any special event on in Blacksburg Va on that day? ( previously there were higher penalties on special event days ie Superbowl)

Regards

TBS
Old Mar 18, 2019, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by lingua101
So I guess, the rate system used my Marriott must be quite bad.
I believe this is not the first time I saw that kind of Rate (Advance Rate but cancelable)
I've booked a couple of these and they were legacy Marriott properties. The cancellation terms and price were better on the Advanced Rate but cancellable than the regular rates, so that's what I booked and made sure I took a screen shot of it in case there were any shenanigans.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 1:40 am

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
Originally Posted by KRSW
I've booked a couple of these and they were legacy Marriott properties. The cancellation terms and price were better on the Advanced Rate but cancellable than the regular rates, so that's what I booked and made sure I took a screen shot of it in case there were any shenanigans.
well the hotel decided to honor the cancel-able term, but they highlighted it was an error. I have stayed at this hotel many times.... so it is not a big deal. but again another issue with the "integration"
Old May 28, 2019, 7:54 pm

Programs: Marriott/SPG/Bonvoy-IHG-Kimpton-Stash-Hotelsdotcom-Delta-Amex-American-United-
New Marriott 14-day Cancellation Policies??

Something awful just showed up in my Bonvoy app for summer bookings that wasn’t there a week ago.

Member rates -almost all now have a deposit required
AND/OR have a FOURTEEN DAY advance/ THREE DAYS after booking cancellation window. As in, if I today book a Courtyard in Albany NY for Sun- Thurs in mid-June, I either have to pay a deposit of one night (???) or have only until June 3 - three days from now- to cancel and avoid charges.

We rack up a LOT of stays as a family - easily 30+ nights per year as a family, as in we pay ourselves, plus 50 or so for my husband’s business travel. We are lifetime platinum with Marriott Bonvoy.
I can book these same rooms on Booking.com with 2 extra weeks to cancel or modify.
What in the name of all that is good and holy is Marriott doing and why isn’t this major news. TWO WEEKS in advance cancellation??? Is this the price we pay for their Airbnb copycat business model? Has anyone received any formal program updates about this? Because it’s really a big deal from a flexibility standpoint.
Old May 29, 2019, 7:10 am

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Are you sure this is Marriott policy or just the hotel(s) you have looked at? I just tried a dummy booking for a Courtyard in Omaha for mid-June and the cancellation policy was 2 days before arrival.

The only rates that were different were the Advanced Purchase rate. Make sure you are looking at the tab "Standard Rates" and "Prepay and Save" I have noticed that my browser defaulted to the Prepay tab so maybe that is what you are seeing?

Old May 29, 2019, 8:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Aren't there some member rates with the standard cancellation policies and a lower member rate that requires prepayment? I (almost) never book prepaid rates, but I think the prepaid member rates have the standard cancel within 24 hours or it becomes nonrefundable language.
Old May 29, 2019, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Just did a handful of dummy bookings at the various Courtyards in Albany for mid-June. All offer the standard 2-day cancellation policy...

Either the OP is booking dates specific to some special event, or has misunderstood how Marriott defaults to the cheapest prepaid rates.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 2:28 pm

Programs: UA1P MM, Hilton Dia, Mar Lifetime Gold, Hertz Gold
Your reservation is not guaranteed if you arrive late.

• Your reservation is not guaranteed if you arrive late. Please note that your room will only be guaranteed until 6:00 PM on the day of your expected arrival.
I'm traveling in China next month and see this in the rate details. Anyone seen this before? Courtyard Pudong China.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 2:42 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
It seems to be common at some Marriott properties. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...l#post29587376

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.