Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Reservation Cancellation Policies (General Discussion)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Reservation Cancellation Policies (General Discussion)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2019, 9:15 am

Programs: seeking best cc sign-up & spend bonus offers
after awards reservation, this warning of no-show charges

I have about 24 hrs before first of four nights + one night free
to cancel without penalty. But if I then don't show for, e.g.,
airline issues, sickness, etc., how can I both lose points
AND be charged for first night?? Doesn't hotel receive
credit for points? (20K/night) Any strategies for
blocking this potential charge to cc???!!
Thanks in advance for any authoritative advice.

"Considering that your reservation is Marriott Points Reward, it is our duty to inform you of Cancellation and No Show policy. In the unlikely event of late-cancellation or no-show, you will not be able to cover any penalty charges using the reward points.

In case of a Cancellation after the deadline stated in the confirmation or a No-Show, there will be a penalty charge of 165€ (VAT included) that will be charged to the credit card used in the reservation. This charge is equal to the current retail price of the reservation’s first night."
Old Jul 2, 2019, 3:20 pm
Company Representative, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by TravelPhotographer
...Thanks in advance for any authoritative advice.

"Considering that your reservation is Marriott Points Reward, it is our duty to inform you of Cancellation and No Show policy. In the unlikely event of late-cancellation or no-show, you will not be able to cover any penalty charges using the reward points.

In case of a Cancellation after the deadline stated in the confirmation or a No-Show, there will be a penalty charge of 165€ (VAT included) that will be charged to the credit card used in the reservation. This charge is equal to the current retail price of the reservation’s first night."
In an instance such as this, the points would be returned to your account and the monetary cancellation policy would apply.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 8:54 am

Programs: seeking best cc sign-up & spend bonus offers
"the points would be returned to your account and monetary cancellation policy would apply."

Thanks for response!
Are there any exceptions? Such as:

a. delayed international flight (weather, strike, mechanical, etc.)
b. medical emergency
c. other unusual out-of-guest-control scenarios?
d. first of 5 nights missed due to a-b-c but 4 remaining nights still wanted by guest

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by TravelPhotographer; Jul 5, 2019 at 6:30 pm
Old Jul 6, 2019, 4:17 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium; WN A-list; UA Silver
"the points would be returned to your account and monetary cancellation policy would apply."

Thanks for response!

b. medical emergency
d. first of 5 nights missed due to a-b-c but 4 remaining nights still wanted by guest

Thanks in advance.
I don't know if this is official, but my flight to MEX was delayed 12 hours (from 6pm friday to 6am Saturday) for an 8 night reward stay and the four points just checked me in at 6am without an issue.
I just called ahead and it was cool.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 10:04 am
Company Representative, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy

Thanks for response!

b. medical emergency

Thanks in advance.
Any exceptions allowed would be up to the individual property to decide upon.
Old Oct 2, 2019, 11:09 pm

New policy for points bookings cancellations?

Fairly new here but Titanium with 400+ lifetime nights with SPG/ Marriott/ Bonvoy and many points bookings. Just received this email and never heard of this policy on a points booking (I have the points). It didn't appear in my booking T & C's. Is this true?
This email is to remind you of our Guaranteed No Show and Cancellation Policy. The policy states that you have up to 48 hours prior to your arrival date to cancel this reservation without penalty. If you are unable to cancel prior to the 48-hour window, a fee of $322.92 will be applied to the card that was provided while booking this reservation.

Old Oct 2, 2019, 11:12 pm

It is consistent whether it was Marriott or SPG. Cancel before 48 hours and no penalty. Isn’t this just the cancellation policy? The only difference is that if you cancel within 48 hours under SPG, you can ask to forfeit the points instead of the $$$ amount.
Old Oct 2, 2019, 11:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Unfortunately this is now fairly standard, although SPG gave us the option of paying the no show penalty in points, at the rate in points that was shown on the reservation. Now not only is the payment in money (which can be a real risk at aspirational properties) but it also is at a rate that wasn't put into writing at the time the reservation was made, doesn't reflect discounted rate plans such as AAA that the guest might be entitled to use, and can equal rack rate during high occupancy periods.
Old Oct 2, 2019, 11:29 pm

While I have several points booking in the que, and many in the past, this was the first time I have received this kind of notice. It does appear to be the rack rate as the booking is for January 2020 and the current rate is over $100 less than the penalty. Maybe I missed it but was this visibly disclosed in the actual booking T & Cs? If it wasn't, how would this be OK?
Old Oct 15, 2019, 3:54 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by Orange County Commuter
So here's my cancellation question. Looking at a cash reservation in London and this is the cancellation policy "non-refundable if cancelled more than 1 day after booking" So does that mean if I book today I can cancel tomorrow and not get charged?
I'm looking at a cash reservation where the Advance Purchase Rate is significantly lower than other rates, but I'm not sure I'll need the reservation. Cancellation policy is "Non-refundable if cancelled more than 1 day after booking".

So one thought is the possibility of doing a rolling "book, cancel the next day and book again" cycle for several days to keep the reservation alive and still allow eventual cancellation.

Doing this is 'legal' within the T&Cs, so setting aside for a moment any opinions as to whether it's ethical or not, can anyone conform what happens when you cancel one of these reservations within the 1 day window ? Is this a straightforward transaction you can do online without any question or complication ? Is your credit card charged then refunded ?
Old Oct 15, 2019, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer

Doing this is 'legal' within the T&Cs, so setting aside for a moment any opinions as to whether it's ethical or not, can anyone conform what happens when you cancel one of these reservations within the 1 day window ? Is this a straightforward transaction you can do online without any question or complication ? Is your credit card charged then refunded ?
I’ve made some of these reservations when submitting BRGs. You have until midnight hotel time to cancel the reservation. For hotels in Europe, Asia, Oceania the cancel date rolls over at 00:00 GMT (20:00 EDT) so by timing when you make your reservation you can buy yourself an extra day. In Toronto, that means if I made a reservation for Asia at 19:30 tonight, I’d have until 23:59 on Oct 16 (hotel time) to cancel. If I made the reservation at 20:30 tonight, I’d have until 23:59 on Oct 17 (hotel time) to cancel. (I haven’t taken the time to figure out which time zone determines when the date rolls over for the Americas.)

Anyhow, I know you didn’t ask for that but thought you might be interested.

On most reservations, I don’t get charged within the one day window. It has happened 3 times where I was charged immediately out of maybe 15-20 reservations and then had to ask hotel to refund the money since they charged full price. Hope that helps.
MaxFlyer and Oxon Flyer like this.
Old Dec 16, 2019, 12:41 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by TA
I'm not sure if this has been covered before amid the general gripes about the Marriott.com reservations website, but I thought to discuss it.

The SPG.com booking site used to give very specific cancellation criteria, like:

Now the Marriott.com site is much more vague:

What does 1 day before mean? Any time on the day? 24 hours before official check-in time? Unhelpful.

I have given feedback via the phone agents, but who knows if it'll ever get passed along to someone with authority to improve this.

Is anyone else frustrated by this?
It looks like Marriott may have finally fixed this. I just made a reservation and it said:
You may cancel your reservation for no charge before 11:59 PM local hotel time on Thursday, February 6, 2020 (2 day[s] before arrival).
Old Dec 16, 2019, 1:54 pm

Programs: UA: 1K, Hyatt: Explorist and Marriott: LF Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Marriott Bonvoy Lurker
Any exceptions allowed would be up to the individual property to decide upon.
I think it also depends on your status. Just couple weeks ago the bad weather in NYC (snow) caused me to miss a night in St. Louis. I called my Ambassador and stated that I wont be able to make my flight from LGA-STL and they waived my cancellation fee a

Just today, I had to change my hotel on the day of check in (that I checked in via the app) from Cupertino, CA to San Francisco, CA. I called through my Ambassador whom liaised with the hotel to cancel my reservation without a fee. Often enough the my Ambassador states that its "due to your status and they can override the fee".
Old Mar 21, 2020, 8:07 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, BA Gold, A3 Gold
Cancellation policy changed?

I have 50+ future reservations for next 12 months and occasionally check for better rates in pricier destinations were I have already made one. Yesterday, I have found cheaper rate in both Aspen and Beaver Creek for next winter.
When checking the total price in original reservations on Marriott.com, I found, to my surprise, that the cancellation policy is "You may cancel your reservation for no charge before 11:59 PM local hotel time on ______ 6, 2020 (60 day[s] before arrival)." I hardly ever book anything with such policy and if so, I mark my calendar to make sure I can cancel before that date. I have not found any note, and cancellation policy in email confirmation I have received is "You may cancel your reservation for no charge before 11:59 PM local hotel time on Thursday, ______ 3, 2020 (2 day[s] before arrival)."

Strangely it was the same case for both properties. So far I have not found any other amended reservation.

Anyone else experienced something like this?
Old Feb 7, 2023, 4:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Ambassador
Restrective Cancellation Policies?

Attempting to book a stay in three weeks, downtown Austin, the Aloft at 7th and Congress. I come across this...admonishment...relative to cancelling this 4-night cash (not redemption) reservation.

14 days in advance. Are you kidding me?I'm accustomed to one and two-day restrictions. A full fortnight is part of reality now? Is anyone else finding this across their needs recently?

ETA: this is a standard-rate, not a prepay-and-save.

Last edited by AnotherUnitedGuy; Feb 7, 2023 at 4:55 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.