Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Reservation Cancellation Policies (General Discussion)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Reservation Cancellation Policies (General Discussion)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2019, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Yes, the one at the time of the booking applies. The online systems do not store the actual text with each reservation, but a code to a list of rate descriptions. They can change the descriptions at anytime and do frequently get changed in the course of the year. When you look at the online system after a change has occurred your reservation will show the new details. That is why it is important to keep your email confirmation (and don't bother to request a new one now as it will reflect the current details). Some properties will try to enforce the new terms but it is up to you to have proof that your rez is different than what they show online today.

From what you've posted they haven't synchronized the codes used in the system. If you follow contract law then the more generous terms go to the one that did not write the contract and you might be able to argue for the 3-day policy. But do check your initial confirmation email and expect them to honor those terms over anything else.
neo_781 and nexusCFX like this.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 7:08 am

No Show Points Reservation

Good Morning!

I have a reservation for a hotel in Detroit this weekend. At this point due to weather it's a 50/50 shot if the airline will actually get me there.

I am past the cancellation date and am willing to "lose" the points. What I don't want is the Westin to cancel the points and charge me $1200 for the nights! Got any suggestions on how I can get them to take the points and not cash?
Old Jan 23, 2019, 7:14 am

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Just call them! I have always had good luck when discussing real-world situations with hotels. Present your situation politely, and I bet you won't even lose the points.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 7:21 am

SPG used to have the option of cancelling an award reservation and forfeiting the points instead ofpaying the cancellation penalty.Marriott seems to have discarded that option—at least it’s not on the T&CsI suppose cancelling would trigger the cancellation penalty and return the points to your account. So my suggestion is to work it out with the hotel directly, have them keep the reservation and charge Marriott for the award stay.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 10:13 am

Programs: MR Bonvoy LP , AC/AE, DL, Porter, SU, Nexus, APEC
Originally Posted by Orange County Commuter
Good Morning!

I have a reservation for a hotel in Detroit this weekend. At this point due to weather it's a 50/50 shot if the airline will actually get me there.
I hope you are wrong about this weekends' weather in Detroit as I'm flying in and out of there on Saturday and Sunday, The forecast I have is partly cloudy and about 1 cm of snow each day. Yes, 20 -25 cm of snow predicted for Monday, by then I will home.

Bob
Old Jan 23, 2019, 10:47 am

The problem is the airport has been closed for about 15 hours.

I think I am fine. A friend did call and Westin "refunded" her points for tonight and is holding her room for arrival tomorrow. They said just to call back if she still can't get on a plane. (If she can't get on tomorrow she's skipping the trip )
Old Jan 23, 2019, 10:48 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
At a non-resort property, it would be unheard of not to waive any cancellation penalty at a standard chain hotel in the US. The most I have had to supply is a flight number, supposedly so my "story" could be verified.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 11:48 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM/AC; UA Silver; AS; DL; Marriott LTT; National Car Elite
If you see that you definitely won't be able to make it, you can call to reschedule the reservation and then cancel later with no penalty as long as you're outside of the cancellation window.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 9:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Cancellation fee of reward stays

What happens if I fail to cancel a reward stay by the free cancellation deadline ? Do I just lose my points ? Am I charged a cash cancellation fee ? or both ?
Old Jan 31, 2019, 9:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
You're charged something like the rack rate and tax for the first night. In the SPG program, you could request (and it was guaranteed if the request was submitted fairly promptly) to pay the penalty instead in points, but I don't know whether the new combined Starriott (soon to be Bonvoy) program has retained this feature; it could depend on what the award stay was booked and from which legacy program in that we would hope that the cancellation poilicy in place at the time the reservation was made is what would apply but YMMV.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 9:54 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
You're charged per the cancellation policy you agreed to when you booked. It will typically be stated in the reservation itself, visible on the app and the website, and may be stated in your email confirm.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 11:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Originally Posted by Kacee
You're charged per the cancellation policy you agreed to when you booked. It will typically be stated in the reservation itself, visible on the app and the website, and may be stated in your email confirm.
Here is the what the cancellation policy says for my reward stay:

You may cancel your reservation for no charge until February 12, 2019 (1 day[s] before arrival).
Please note that we will assess a fee if you must cancel after this deadline. If you have made a prepayment, we will retain all or part of your prepayment. If not, we will charge your credit card.

What's your interpretation ? Will I get my points back ? How much is my credit card going to be charged ?
Old Feb 1, 2019, 4:18 am

Originally Posted by MasterGeek

You may cancel your reservation for no charge until February 12, 2019 (1 day[s] before arrival).
Please note that we will assess a fee if you must cancel after this deadline. If you have made a prepayment, we will retain all or part of your prepayment. If not, we will charge your credit card.

What's your interpretation ? Will I get my points back ? How much is my credit card going to be charged ?
That seems to glitch I have seen at a few properties. It looks they failed to load the correct rate specifications into the booking system and that leads to the website making no reference to the amount of the cancellation penalty.Under MR there seems to be no way of cancelling an award stay and forfeiting the points instead of paying the cancellation penalty. But with a one-day cancellation deadline I dont’t think you should have to worry.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 7:56 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by MasterGeek

I would assume they'll charge the daily rate for one night, plus taxes and fees, to your credit card and refund your points. But I wouldn't really want to find out.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 11:26 am
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
Unhelpful / vague reservation cancellation deadlines shown on booking

I'm not sure if this has been covered before amid the general gripes about the Marriott.com reservations website, but I thought to discuss it.

The SPG.com booking site used to give very specific cancellation criteria, like:
"If you cancel between now and 11:59pm March 1, 2019 hotel time, you will not be charged a cancellation fee. If you cancel after 11:59pm March 1, 2019 hotel time, you will be charged $x... etc. etc.
Now the Marriott.com site is much more vague:
You may cancel your reservation for no charge until March 11, 2019 (1 day[s] before arrival). Please note that we will assess a fee of $x if you must cancel after this deadline. If you have made a prepayment, we will retain all or part of your prepayment. If not, we will charge your credit card. This fee equals 1 night of your room charge (for the first night of your reservation).
What does 1 day before mean? Any time on the day? 24 hours before official check-in time? Unhelpful.

I have given feedback via the phone agents, but who knows if it'll ever get passed along to someone with authority to improve this.

Is anyone else frustrated by this?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.