Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Babymoon ideas in Continental US?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2019, 12:59 pm

Programs: MYOB
Originally Posted by zagguru
Looking for a nice babymoon destination in the unite states for June. Any suggestions for the best beach resort Marriott/SPG has to offer here in the unite states? (Excluding Hawaii)
Originally Posted by arlflyer
Probably somewhere in California or New England. The southeast, including FL, is not where you want to be in June.
Flying this late in the pregnancy is a show stopper (unless you are looking to deliver on the plane)
zagguru, What region of the country do you reside in?
Old Feb 12, 2019, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by damon88
I spend time every week in Laguna Beach (my kids and grandkids live there) and agree with the recommendations for the Ritz in Dana Point. Just be aware of a few things—SoCal experiences what we term “May Gray” and “June Gloom”. Mornings are frequently cloudy and overcast- although the clouds often burn off by mid day. But visitors are often very disappointed by the weather during those months, expecting bright and sunny days. Also- while the Ritz has a lot of potential they are not (IMHO) up to par with the service or experience of the (sadly departed) St REgis Monarch Bay. That was a true “Hawaiiesque” hotel that we often used for staycations. The last time we stayed at the Ritz we were disappointed with the Elite recognition, although we are looking forward to trying again after the new tiers are in place.

One other hotel to consider that is rarely mentioned here is the Laguna Cliffs Marriott
Laguna Cliffs Marriott Resort & Spa Dana Point Resorts Laguna Beach Resort

We had a really wonderful stay there recently using a Free night certificate and they upgraded us to a beautiful ocean view suite. The rooms were just remodeled and they are gorgeous- they did a great job. The service was super friendly and welcoming.

We are also fans of the Newport Coast Villas- but more for family getaways than a romantic trip. The villas are conveniently located to a lot of really good restaurants.

We haven’t tried Lido House yet but my son is a big fan.
https://www.lidohousehotel.com/

If cloudy mornings aren’t a deterrent- the Dana Point/Laguna/Newport Coast has a lot to offer for a romantic getaway- stunning beaches (Thousand Steps is my personal favorite) excellent restaurants, art galleries, boat excursions, fun shops and gorgeous views.
Of the hotels you mentioned, which one do you recommend that will give the best 'lie on the beach' feeling?
Also, i would rather not have the clouds, but i could not think of any other place to go on for a baby moon thats not too far from the east coast. Do you have any other destination suggestions?
Old Feb 12, 2019, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by xzh445
Flying this late in the pregnancy is a show stopper (unless you are looking to deliver on the plane)
zagguru, What region of the country do you reside in?
She will be a before 32 weeks pregnant, which the doctor said is safe to fly.
New York
Old Feb 12, 2019, 2:02 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by zagguru
Of the hotels you mentioned, which one do you recommend that will give the best 'lie on the beach' feeling?
Also, i would rather not have the clouds, but i could not think of any other place to go on for a baby moon thats not too far from the east coast. Do you have any other destination suggestions?
If you are looking to laze at the pool there won't be much difference between the hotels. If you want to be on the sand the Ritz is the clear winner. There is a shuttle to the beach from the Ritz while the Laguna Cliffs is a 5 minute walk to Doheny Beach. At the Ritz there are Beach Butlers who provide personalized services including setting up beach chairs, umbrellas and towels, offering and assisting with food and beverage service and providing transportation to and from the beach on the complimentary beach shuttle. Beach butlers are also fully equipped with sun screen, tanning lotion, and bottled water.

Laguna Cliffs Pool

Ritz Pool

Doheny Beach

Ritz Beach

Regarding the "June Gloom" it typically clears by noon. Mornings are cool- but afternoons are much warmer. The month starts with skies cloudy 19% of the time and ends at 11%
so the later in June the better. Hope that helps!

The month of June in Dana Point experiences decreasing cloud cover, with the percentage of time that the sky is overcast or mostly cloudy decreasing from 19% to 11%.

Last edited by damon88; Feb 12, 2019 at 2:07 pm
Old Feb 12, 2019, 2:29 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Grew up in the area, spent several decades there (every day, not just visiting), and am simply saying I would not suggest someone go there for a summer vacation while expecting. Not just the temperatures, but summer storm patterns, insects, just not my recommended place to send people. I wouldn't suggest Phoenix in June either. CA or New England would be good.
New England beach in June? I hope you don’t want to go in the water. What about Hilton Head?
Old Feb 12, 2019, 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
New England beach in June? I hope you don’t want to go in the water.
Nah, nor in August for that matter! Just lots of cool weather, good scenery, seafood, beer, etc...
Old Feb 12, 2019, 3:06 pm

One option for you to consider is going to one of the marriott properties in the Grand Cayman. They are officially off the CDC Zika list (which is why i assume you are focused on California instead of the caribbean).
Old Feb 12, 2019, 3:09 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, SWA Companion Pass, United Silver
I'd suggest the Bacara (now Ritz Santa Barbara) over the RC Laguna. Much better pool setup, and you can walk down to a truly secluded beach (mind the little bit of tar though). The hotel grounds and building layouts are much, much nicer, and it doesn't feel like a resort factory like the RC Laguna. SB is much less frenetic than the Newport area, while still having a ton of awesome dining and other stuff to do for someone late in a pregnancy. Also, the spa/fitness facilities at the Bacara are pretty incredible. FWIW, I'd suggest flying into LAX, spending a night or two up at the Ojai Valley Inn, and then heading to the RC SB (Bacara) for a night or three. Don't bother with Orange County at all, its a zoo in the summer.

The RC Half Moon is probably the nicest out of all the hotels, but like others have said, it isn't a great place to soak up sun by the pool.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 3:10 pm

Does the Bacara have beach service? (chairs and unbrellas?)
Old Feb 12, 2019, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by damon88
If you are looking to laze at the pool there won't be much difference between the hotels. If you want to be on the sand the Ritz is the clear winner. There is a shuttle to the beach from the Ritz while the Laguna Cliffs is a 5 minute walk to Doheny Beach. At the Ritz there are Beach Butlers who provide personalized services including setting up beach chairs, umbrellas and towels, offering and assisting with food and beverage service and providing transportation to and from the beach on the complimentary beach shuttle. Beach butlers are also fully equipped with sun screen, tanning lotion, and bottled water.

Laguna Cliffs Pool

Ritz Pool

Doheny Beach

Ritz Beach

Regarding the "June Gloom" it typically clears by noon. Mornings are cool- but afternoons are much warmer. The month starts with skies cloudy 19% of the time and ends at 11%
so the later in June the better. Hope that helps!

The month of June in Dana Point experiences decreasing cloud cover, with the percentage of time that the sky is overcast or mostly cloudy decreasing from 19% to 11%.
Is there no beach service at the Laguna Cliffs? Everything you said about the Ritz LN sounds great! Are the pools heated? Hows the beach water temperature during that month? Also, would you fly into SNA or LAX?
Old Feb 12, 2019, 3:23 pm

Yes, I am actually looking into the Grand Cayman Ritz as well, but my wife is leading towards California, since we have done so much Caribbean in the past.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by doggiefizzle
I'd suggest the Bacara (now Ritz Santa Barbara) over the RC Laguna. Much better pool setup, and you can walk down to a truly secluded beach (mind the little bit of tar though). The hotel grounds and building layouts are much, much nicer, and it doesn't feel like a resort factory like the RC Laguna. SB is much less frenetic than the Newport area, while still having a ton of awesome dining and other stuff to do for someone late in a pregnancy. Also, the spa/fitness facilities at the Bacara are pretty incredible. FWIW, I'd suggest flying into LAX, spending a night or two up at the Ojai Valley Inn, and then heading to the RC SB (Bacara) for a night or three. Don't bother with Orange County at all, its a zoo in the summer.

The RC Half Moon is probably the nicest out of all the hotels, but like others have said, it isn't a great place to soak up sun by the pool.

Looking into it now. Thanks!
Are the pools heated? And do the have beach service?
Have you stayed at both RC SB and RC LN?.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 3:26 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Nah, nor in August for that matter! Just lots of cool weather, good scenery, seafood, beer, etc...
Yeah, but the OP wants the lie on the beach experience. I don’t think New England is the right place for that experience.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 3:30 pm

Any non Ritz properties? Im also a bit hesistant to stay at Ritz since they dont provide as much elite benefits at other brands in the Marriott portfolio.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 3:32 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, SWA Companion Pass, United Silver
Originally Posted by boolean64
Does the Bacara have beach service? (chairs and unbrellas?)
Unfortunately (like all hotels in California) the beach directly behind the Bacara is a public beach so the hotel can't put out its own chairs/umbrellas. That being said, Haskells (the beach) is isolated even by Santa Barbara standards, and is never, ever crowded. If you wander down to the beach, you'll likely have it all to yourself. The hotel is bounded by a really nice golf course and a nature preserve, so it's hard to actually get to the beach behind the hotel. Cabanas can be rented all around the pool(s), however, and are really, really nice. Below is a pic (from the RC website) so you can get a sense of how close the hotel is to the water. No need to take a shuttle here (unlike the RC Laguna).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.