Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Minimum stay on award nights for city hotels

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2019, 2:09 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite

Over the last couple of months, I've found that a significant proportion of my award stays are coming up against minimum stay rules which means that reasonably priced rooms are only available for 3+ nights. Rooms below Suite at the Imperial in Vienna as well as the Daniele and the Gritti Palace in Venice both have minimum stay limits coded such that practical availability for weekend stays appears to me to be significantly reduced. I've only looked at a handful of hotels for awards in the last couple of months and seem to be coming up against it more often than not.

Have others also experienced this? I can't believe that I'm just incredibly unlucky. If weekend award availability is dramatically reduced, this would entirely change the utility of Marriott points to me.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
I have no issue with this, as long as the standard room rates also have a minimum stay requirement.

If it's not a hotel issue, just book the longer stay and call CS to adjust the booking to what you really want.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 3:35 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, AC Elite, Airmiles Gold, Hertz Gold Plus Rewards
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
Over the last couple of months, I've found that a significant proportion of my award stays are coming up against minimum stay rules which means that reasonably priced rooms are only available for 3+ nights. Rooms below Suite at the Imperial in Vienna as well as the Daniele and the Gritti Palace in Venice both have minimum stay limits coded such that practical availability for weekend stays appears to me to be significantly reduced. I've only looked at a handful of hotels for awards in the last couple of months and seem to be coming up against it more often than not.

Have others also experienced this? I can't believe that I'm just incredibly unlucky. If weekend award availability is dramatically reduced, this would entirely change the utility of Marriott points to me.
I have seen it only for special events -- Olympics in Vancouver (both cash and award) and NY celebrations in Rio and Sydney ( I think awards only). Also Christmas at Westin Blue Mountain, Ontario (both). Never for regular dates
Old Jan 31, 2019, 3:36 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by craigthemif
I have no issue with this, as long as the standard room rates also have a minimum stay requirement.
They don't...
Old Jan 31, 2019, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Example?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.