FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Courtyard Shin-Osaka Station Japan [Master Thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1721184-courtyard-shin-osaka-station-japan-master-thread.html)

SkiAdcock Nov 2, 2015 7:55 am

Courtyard Shin-Osaka Station Japan [Master Thread]

http://news.marriott.com/2015/11/cou...a-station.html

Category 6. Property website does not mention an exec lounge in room descriptions. Will need to wait for a FT trip report to find out if there is one or if they offer brekkie in restaurant.

"Located adjacent to the Shin-Osaka Bullet Train Station, the hub of west-Japan for both business and leisure, Courtyard by Marriott Shin-Osaka Station is the 3rd property for the brand in Japan. Courtyard by Marriott Shin-Osaka is a one-minute walk from Shin-Osaka Station, offering fast and easy access to the Kansai region’s major attractions including Universal Studios Japan. Popular cities such as Kyoto and Kobe are just a short 30-minute bullet-train ride away.

Guests are invited to explore three unique food and beverage outlets on property. Dining & Bar LAVAROCK, a chic all day dining restaurant which is contemporary, welcoming and offers a wide range of international delicacies. Ikka-Ichiyo, a Japanese Teppanyaki style restaurant that provides guests a luxury selection of beef and seasonal fresh vegetables. Bar 19 serves a selection of spirits, wines and cocktails with delectable finger-foods, giving our patrons and guests, an ideal venue to just sit back and unwind with great night view of Osaka.

The fitness room with state-of-the-art facilities is also available around the clock.

Complimentary Wi-Fi throughout the hotel"

Brucemcdou Nov 2, 2015 6:08 pm

Thank you Sharon - this is good news and I look forward to seeing a FT trip review. We recently stayed at the Osaka Marriott Miyako adjacent to the Tennoji station (best Marriott stay ever!) which was very convenient for subway and the train to the airport, but we had to take a local train from there to the Shin-Osaka station for the bullet trains. This Courtyard should be very popular for exploring central and western Japan.

aaupgrade Nov 3, 2015 4:58 am

I just booked this hotel for next April as a back up reservation to the April 1 2016 possible deflagging of Nagoya Associa Marriott. See http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...l#post25655635 for more info on that.

If anyone stays at this property prior to then it would be great to know if Plats get free breakfast. Otherwise, I'll provide an update when I'm there. As best I can tell from their web site, there is no exec lounge; or at least there are no Exec rooms available for booking which is a pretty good indication. I would love to be proven wrong.

Nottingham Nick Nov 3, 2015 9:00 am

I will make a leap of faith here - given that the Courtyard at Tokyo Station also has a Lavarock Cafe / Bar, my guess is that the arrangements may be similar.

At check in as golds, we were given vouchers for food and drinks in the Lavarock when we checked in - this included food and alcoholic drinks in the evening, as well as a very nice buffet breakfast.

We had a beer and a calzone one evening and breakfast both mornings we were there. In addition to this IIRC, there was an area in the 'Library', which was next to reception, where there was a fridge that golds and plats could help themselves to small snacks, soft drinks and fruit.

We didn't spend too much time in the hotel, so can't say if there are limits to the amount of food and drink that your vouchers will entitle you to, but it was a nice hotel.

Even though we liked the Courtyard in Tokyo - the Osaka Marriott is still the best Marriott I have ever stayed in so, even though it is a bit of a schlep from the Shin Osaka Bullet train station, we will certainly be heading back there next time we are in Osaka.

Nick

Steve Weagant Nov 9, 2015 1:40 pm

I will be staying here in April. The location will be perfect for our purposes. We are also staying in the Tokyo station courtyard. The restaurant there, according to tripadviosr, was good for breakfast with a good selection. Hopefully this will be similar.

I wonder if Marriott remodeled this property after taking over.

yeekin Jan 10, 2016 10:01 am

I will be staying there on Easter Weekend so will update the thread when it happens.
From the bookings, there is an executive lounge now. I'm Gold so hopefully breakfast is on the house.
Not too sure how to get here, hope it is the case of just crossing a overhead unsheltered bridge over from the Bullet Train station according to google maps and taking a lift down to reception.

mapleg Jan 10, 2016 10:08 am

Shin-Osaka is a very boring area to stay in. OK if you plan on taking lots of Shinkansen trains, but as for nightlife or things to do...not much.

Better to stay near Umeda or Namba areas for more to do.

SkiAdcock Jan 10, 2016 11:19 am

Originally Posted by yeekin (Post 25994508)
From the bookings, there is an executive lounge now. I'm Gold so hopefully breakfast is on the house.

If there's an exec lounge, you have access as a Gold.

Cheers.

GoSh4rks Jan 11, 2016 1:08 am

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock (Post 25994880)
If there's an exec lounge, you have access as a Gold.

Cheers.

Just returned from a stay Jan1 - Jan3 2016. Was told upon check-in that there was no lounge (but would be opening "next week", meaning week of Jan4 or Jan 11..?).

Breakfast was pretty good, full buffet. Rooms were new.

Not too sure how to get here, hope it is the case of just crossing a overhead unsheltered bridge over from the Bullet Train station according to google maps and taking a lift down to reception.

The lobby is not at street level and is at the same level as the main public/unpaid level of the Shin-Osaka station. The easiest way to get there from the Shin-Osaka station is to get onto the main public level of the station, and exit to the side of the McDonalds on the north side of the station. Note, there are at least two McDonalds in Shin-Osaka - you want the one that is adjacent to an outdoor area/access door. If you have it right, it is about 50 meters from door to door.

AlphaTwo Jan 29, 2016 1:21 am

Stay at here in both 2015, Dec. & 2016, Jan.,
they have perfect location to access from Shin Osaka station.
No matter you go by JR, subway, or high speed rail, it within 5mins from station. And you could almost buy everything at the station shopping/food court.

As a gold I received free breakfast for two and lounge access.
Breakfast was good, but not too many choice. (You might want try something else from the third time you see the same dishes.)
However they offered different kind of fresh juice (also in the lounge), and fresh fruit for customers to grab and go, these were my personal favorite. And bread was truly delicious!

And the room was relatively big compared with same level business hotel in Japan. But if you sensitive with noise, better ask the back side to avoid the train goes by bother you. Concierge were capable of English, friendly, and could offer many travel/traffic recommendation.
http://imgur.com/UiCDIbQ

The lounge was opened on Jan 7, 2016. Offering breakfast, daytime snack&soft drink, and even some alcohol during 17:00~19:30. Please refer to the following pictures.
http://imgur.com/WJSOxiv
http://imgur.com/dsuucnM
http://imgur.com/vEsWyG6

I personally give this hotel a positive recommendation, especially you plan to travel within the Kyoto/Nara/Kobe area.

SkiAdcock Jan 29, 2016 10:23 am

Welcome to FT & thanks for the update on your stay! For some reason the pictures you posted aren't displaying.

Cheers.

Billiken Feb 25, 2016 7:52 am

Easter Weekend Too

I will be staying there on Easter Weekend so will update the thread when it happens.

Mrs. Billiken and I will arrive 26-March and depart 29-March.
Will also update and key details re this property.

nldogbert Mar 15, 2016 11:14 am

Ok hotel

Hi,

Had a 1 night stay here a couple of weeks ago. Main reason was because it was closer to Itami airport and there was a bus directly from Shin-Osaka station to ITM.

Location: It is indeed next to the Shin-Osaka station which is north of Osaka city. It is about 2 min walk from the station to the hotel (it is not linked in any way to the station building but next to it). Tip: Becareful as it is not (imo) easy to find this. So I used the McD in the station as my guide. Just walk in the direction towards McD and you will get out from the station and it's just than a 2 min walk towards the hotel. Subway, buses, train and shinkansen is available from the station. It takes about 15 mins for the subway down to Umeda area.

Check-in: Upon entering the hotel via private club like entrance door (never seen entrance door made fully of wood and it was indeed like some private club entrance in my opinion :P), I was immediately assisted as there was one associate available. No welcome as Elite member, but was provided info on what Elite benefits are. And of course since this is a CY - there are no bellboy to take your luggage of you :P

Elite benefits: Lounge access - opens until 12 midnight on the 19th floor. Here is a copy of the welcome letter and benefits.
https://4iqzug.bl3301.livefilestore....&cropmode=none

Room: Since I booked the cheapest room (originally on a lower floor), my upgrade is to a higher floor. The room was luckily not a Japanese size room. It was like any typical room you will find in Europe/US. Room was well appointed with a view towards the city. Complimentary water bottles were available. Internet speed was ok - I believe there was no separation of premium or basic internet. English TV channels were ok, but as expected the normal culprits of BBC, CNN and I believe 2-3 film channels. There was a guide to use the remote.

Bathroom: A well appointed size area with the normal Nirvana toiletries and toothbrushes, etc (typical Japanese provided toiletries amenities).

Lounge: During non-cocktail/happy hour, the lounge was empty and (as to Japanese style), only 2-3 small items in what they call muffin/ pastry available. Cocktail/Happy hour - hot items were not too bad - but mainly fried items with the Japanese peas. Alcohol selection were ok in my opinion.

Breakfast: This was offered in the restaurant - selection was good and with a good spread of Asian and Western options. Although the place was crowded, service was fast and efficient. I did pop by the lounge during breakfast time - and my advise if you are offered the restaurant that would be better - limited items in the lounge.

Staff: In general friendly staff - lounge attendant (only saw her during breakfast and cocktail hours). Other than that typical Japanese service expected.

In general - as expected Courtyards in Asia especially with lounges are good. In my opinion a good value for the price paid. My only complain is the location - although there is a direct subway line to the main places (Tennoji, Umeda, etc) and if you take the Shinkansen often, around the area there is basically nothing.
I did stay also at the Marriott, which obviously can't be compared to the CY - if location is important, than the Marriott (in the Tennoji area) is much better from all points.

SkiAdcock Mar 15, 2016 11:19 am

Thanks for the detailed trip report - and for the pic of the exec lounge info.

Cheers.

yeekin Apr 11, 2016 4:43 am

Thanks all for the information. I did stay at this location over the Easter Weekend. My notes as follows:
1. Location wise, can't beat this if you are using the JR rail/Shinkansen network to reach Osaka as well as Kyoto, Kobe etc. If you need to use the subway, it is slightly closer. I was worried about climbing up and down stairs especially coming from the Shinkansen network (lift down from platform to gates) but believe me it is one of the better hotels that is connected to the railway station. Yes the macdonalds is a good reference. The only beef is that when it rains then you would need to walk a 30-50 meter stretch in the rain which is unsheltered
2. Kids. I was seriously worried as I was bringing my 2 children aged 2 and 4 to the hotel. No extra charge. Unlike the horror reference stories I heard from the Courtyard Tokyo Thread.
3. Elite Member Benefits. The breakfast as mentioned is good with a mixture of east and western food. Made to order items include eggs (poached, sunny etc), waffles, western pancakes (must try) and Vietnamese pho noodles. Juices, bread, cold cuts, sausages etc. Took my 3 days breakfast at the lava rock.
4. Lounge. Lounge was pretty empty in the day with softdrinks and energy drinks (monster) ready all day long with nuts, pretzels and chocolate sweets. In the evening there is some takoyaki (octopus balls being Osaka) and other minor hot food served. The best takeaway from the lounge is the view especially if you are a Shinkansen Fan with Shinkansen moving in and out. Try to see the view at least once in the day and night. Happy hours in the evenings with the Alcohol of canned beer, wines and hard liquor, yes there is Japanese Suntory Whiskey.
5. Room. As mentioned before, one of the larger rooms which I had during my stay in Japan, and not the typically Japanese room size.

If anyone needs any reference in terms of photos, I would be happy to post them.