Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

FAQ: How to prevent Marriott Rewards points expiring (after 24 months inactivity)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 17, 2016, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
Marriott webpage summarising ways to keep points from expiring :
https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/poi...ck=2043917&lk=1000584075

Fastest easiest way is to buy 1,000 points for $12.50US. https://buy.points.com/PointsPartner...EN&product=BUY

T&Cs re: 24-month points expiration:

http://www.marriott.com/marriott-rew.../expiration.mi

”1.6.d. Points Expiration Policy. Members must remain active in the Loyalty Program to retain Points they accumulate. If a Member Account is inactive for twenty-four (24) consecutive months, that Member Account will forfeit all accumulated Points. Members can remain active in the Loyalty Program and retain accumulated Points by earning Points or Miles, redeeming Points, or purchasing Points (as described in 2.9) in the Loyalty Program at least once every twenty-four (24) months, all subject to the exceptions described below. If a Member does not maintain an active status for five (5) consecutive years, the Member’s Account may be deactivated. Once Points are forfeited, the Points cannot be reinstated, but a Member can earn new Points, unless that Member’s Account has been deactivated.

i. Not all Points activities help maintain active status in the Loyalty Program. Examples of activities that do not count toward maintaining an active status in the Loyalty Program include, but are not limited to:
A. Gifting or transferring Points; however, converting Points to Miles or Miles to Points does count toward maintaining an active status;
B. Receiving Points as a gift or transfer

ii. Awards redeemed by a Member prior to Point forfeiture are still valid even though the Award may not yet have been fulfilled at the time of Point forfeiture. However, if those Awards are cancelled after the Points expiration date, those Points are still subject to forfeiture. For example, if a Member redeems Points for an Award Redemption Stay that occurs after the Points expiration date, and then cancels the reservation prior to arrival without having completed any qualifying activity to extend the expiration date, those Points will expire.

iii. The Points expiration policy does not currently affect Points in a Lifetime Elite Membership Account; however, the Loyalty Program may choose to apply a Points expiration policy to Lifetime Elite Membership Accounts in the future.

Note : Points expiration was paused until Dec 31 2022. As of Jan 2023, points expiration was reinstated.

Did you extend Marriott Bonvoy® Points Expiration?
To provide you ample time to redeem Marriott Bonvoy® Points, the expiration of Points was paused until December 31, 2022. At that time, your Marriott Bonvoy® Points will only expire if your Account has been inactive for at least 24 months.

Print Wikipost

FAQ: How to prevent Marriott Rewards points expiring (after 24 months inactivity)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2015, 3:38 pm

Programs: MR, AA, UA, DL, AVIS and growing
What you have written is also true and conflicting with what Marriott advised.

The date you must complete activity is Dec 31, 2015, however due to the account statements being generated to the hidden date is Jan 31, 2016.

But I was told it's 18 months but most likely the rep misunderstood.

I still need to show activity posted no later than Jan 31, 2016.

Originally Posted by HookEm
The rep must be wrong. I found this on the Marriott website:

STARTING FEBRUARY 1, 2016, MEMBERS WHO DO NOT HAVE QUALIFYING ACTIVITY IN THE PRIOR 24 MONTHS WILL FORFEIT ALL ACCUMULATED POINTS.
IF YOU HAVE NOT ENGAGED IN QUALIFYING ACTIVITY SINCE JANUARY 31, 2014, YOU HAVE UNTIL JANUARY 31, 2016 TO DO SO BEFORE THE POLICY IS ENFORCED*.
THE FOLLOWING ACTIVITIES DO NOT COUNT TOWARD MAINTAINING AN ACTIVE STATUS IN THE MARRIOTT REWARDS® PROGRAM:
GIFTING OR TRANSFERRING POINTS
RECEIVING POINTS AS A GIFT OR TRANSFER
EARNING POINTS THROUGH SOCIAL MEDIA PROGRAMS, SUCH AS #MRPOINTS

So 24 months must be correct.
Old Jun 27, 2015, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Unfortunately you will have a very difficult time getting points back if you rely upon statements by MR agent, confirmable or not. If these points are important to you do something NOW to preserve them and put a reminder in your calendar to so something EACH YEAR to keep them alive. This should cover you no matter what including a future program change.
Old Jun 27, 2015, 7:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Hard Love here...

Ok, I'm going to be the Hard Love person here. This is just ridiculous/silly.

First, the OP has stayed 20 years at Marriotts, presumably has a lot of points acquired that can't be used, & his/her points don't expire for another 6 months.

So let's look at this picture:

* OP, are you saying you will have zero travel between now & end of year so can't do even a single night stay to keep your points active?

* You're not willing to do a Marriott shopping portal for something cheap you may or may not need (it takes a few weeks for shopping points to post btw, so don't wait until the last minute).

* You're not willing to spend $12.50 for 1,000 points to keep your account active for another 24 months. Seriously, that's $6.25/year.

Yes we get you'd like to spend $1 vs. $12.50, but for crikey's sake already, if you have that many points you're trying to save, spend the freeking $12.50 already or find something cheaper on the portal.

Otherwise, for gawds sake, if you're not willing to do that, then 'let it go'.

Hard love here, I realize. But I just don't get the I have a gazillion points & I'm not willing to spend $12 bucks to keep them active for 2 years thought process.

Either you care about the points or you don't. If you do, easy way to keep them & cheap. If you don't, then let it go.

We've all given him/her a lot of options & all are valid before his/her expiration date of year end.

Cheers.

Last edited by SkiAdcock; Jun 27, 2015 at 7:44 pm
Old Jun 27, 2015, 7:44 pm

SkiAdcock sums it up nicely. I agree.

I purchased points for my kids to keep their Hawaiian miles since they didn't go with us to Hawaii this year. It's $12 and you are done. No rocket science involved. Plus, who the heck has time to tweet to get 25 points. My gosh that's worth about twenty cents. It's easier to just buy them and be done.
Old Jun 27, 2015, 7:46 pm

Skiadcock,

Why do you even take the time to cry about a topic you don't care about?

Are you so selfish that you attack my point methodology but don't attack a similar thread about AA miles where nobody complains like you.

Hope you find a life not in a thread post I create as your contribution si worthless except to cry and act childish.

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Ok, I'm going to be the Hard Love person here. This is just ridiculous/silly.

First, the OP has stayed 20 years at Marriotts, presumably has a lot of points acquired that can't be used, & his/her points don't expire for another 6 months.

So let's look at this picture:

* OP, are you saying you will have zero travel between now & end of year so can't do even a single night stay to keep your points active?

* You're not willing to do a Marriott shopping portal for something cheap you may or may not need (it takes a few weeks for shopping points to post btw, so don't wait until the last minute).

* You're not willing to spend $12.50 for 1,000 points to keep your account active for another 24 months. Seriously, that's $6.25/year.

Yes we get you'd like to spend $1 vs. $12.50, but for crikey's sake already, if you have that many points you're trying to save, spend the freeking $12.50 already or find something cheaper on the portal.

Otherwise, for gawds sake, if you're not willing to do that, then 'let it go'.

http://m.youtube.com/?#/watch?v=moSFlvxnbgk

Hard love here, I realize. But I just don't get the I have a gazillion points & I'm not willing to spend $12 bucks to keep them active for 2 years thought process.

Either you care about the points or you don't. If you do, easy way to keep them & cheap. If you don't, then let it go.

At this point I don't have a lot of sympathy for the OP. We've all given him/her a lot of options & all are valid before his/her expiration date of year end.

Cheers.
Old Jun 27, 2015, 7:47 pm

Clearly, trying to minimize paying cost/mile on FT is not your forte!

Originally Posted by SacTownGuy
SkiAdcock sums it up nicely. I agree.

I purchased points for my kids to keep their Hawaiian miles since they didn't go with us to Hawaii this year. It's $12 and you are done. No rocket science involved. Plus, who the heck has time to tweet to get 25 points. My gosh that's worth about twenty cents. It's easier to just buy them and be done.
Old Jun 27, 2015, 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by euromannn
Skiadcock,

Are you so selfish that you attack my point methodology but don't attack a similar thread about AA miles where nobody complains like you.

Hope you find a life not in a thread post I create as your contribution si worthless except to cry and act childish.
Wow - I gave you input up thread about how to keep your points. $12.50, points posts 2 hours later, you're good for 2 years. I'm not sure how "I" was the person crying, much less complaining?

You're actually the one 'crying' since you keep saying you want to spend $1 to keep your points but aren't willing to spend $12. I totally don't get the AA comparison since I don't fly AA & can't remember the last year I was on that forum. Seriously, what's the ROI btwn $1 & $12.

I'm sorry you felt my contribution in terms of helping you was 'worthless', but my life is fine & as others who spend time on this forum know I contribute a lot (including the time I spend on the exec lounge sticky which takes a LOT of hours) as well as regular threads.

Here's my bottom line. Stay at a Marriott before end of year, buy something via the portal or spend the $12 bucks. Those are your options. They will allow you to keep your points, but if you don't do any of the three then you'll be the one crying (and we won't be sympathizing).

But as others will probably note, it's a bit rude to come on, ask for advice, then be a bit of a jerk when you don't like the advice & be rude to multiple FTers. But if it makes you happy to do so, good on you. Just don't expect a lot of input the next time you ask for advice.

BTW - your attack is a bit rich given I PM'd you a link giving you a heads up to GregWTravel's post letting you know you won't get points for the social media, because I wasn't sure you'd be back on the thread & didn't want you to think you were good to go when you weren't. Note to self - don't be so helpful in thread or PM next time. Geesh.

Cheers.

Last edited by SkiAdcock; Jun 27, 2015 at 8:09 pm Reason: add the BTW
Old Jun 27, 2015, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
I think THE most common post on FT is how do I keep my points/miles from expiring. I feel like I see a new thread every week in each of the half dozen threads I monitor. The answer is almost always the same. Yes, some new methods do crop up from time to time, but they will usually be posted regardless of someone asking. And the wiki gets updated, but if you start a new thread, there's no tie to the wiki. The rules are pretty well known and posted by the programs. I think FT should be renamed to Flyer Tricks so we can focus on the unusual resolutions.

If FT ever needs to reduce their storage requirements, deleting the expiration posts will probably cut things in half! ... and the personal barbs.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 2:20 am
Suspended

Sure is a lot of name calling and numerous unhelpful posts here in order to protect those 127-lifetime points earned for if you didn't want suggestions then you shouldn't have asked for them in the first place.

And as the saying goes, folks who live in glass houses shouldn't throw rocks.

Originally Posted by euromannn

Old Jun 28, 2015, 6:20 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Perhaps a "Gofundme" page to raise the $12.50 needed will help?

I think Sharon's post was right on target.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 6:31 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
Dear OP,

How many points are in your account?

I also think SkiAdcock's advice is sound.... if you have no plans to redeem an award or stay at a property this year. I assume you also have no plans for a Marriott credit card?
Old Jun 28, 2015, 9:35 am

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
I also think Sharon's post was right on target. OP how much do you value your time at? You have probably already spent more than $12.50 worth of time researching the issue.

--Jon
Old Jun 28, 2015, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
I spent more than $12.50 of my time just reading this thread! Refusing to spend that amount and demanding the same result for just $1 is inexplicably penny-wise and pound-foolish. Maybe we could take up a collection for the $11.50 difference.

Bruce
Old Jun 29, 2015, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by GregWTravels
Marriott says that Tweeting points don't count towards keeping your account active:
Slight side-track of the thread. I kind of get that transferring/receiving points as gift doesn't count since one really isn't doing anything to earn points, but it is interesting that social media doesn't count since the part quoted starts with "earn points" & also because Marriott is pushing social media so much.

Cheers.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 1:16 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, OW Emerald, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jm1991
https://mrpoints.chirpify.com/mrpoints/register
its another type of social media promo. Just register and make a tweet with the hashtags #MRpoints and #MarriottTRAVELER and it credits your account 25 points the same day
You should saved my 120k MR pts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.