FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   JW Marriott Macau & Ritz Carlton [Master Thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1683330-jw-marriott-macau-ritz-carlton-master-thread.html)

celinebb May 11, 2015 8:24 pm

JW Marriott Macau & Ritz Carlton [Master Thread]

JW Marriott Macau has a flash sale and the room rate from HK$833. This is very attractive rate consider it is a new hotel which will open on May 27. And you can play the world’s longest Skytop Rapids too.

Book between 11th May 12pm and 13th May 12pm
http://deals.marriott.com/jw-marriot...-flash-sale#rd

^^

gpia May 11, 2015 9:35 pm

Thanks, just booked it for 1133 HKD (weekend). Nearly the same as the Sheraton and Holiday Inn next door, but I expect the JW to be significantly better...

celinebb May 12, 2015 1:18 am

Originally Posted by guidospizza (Post 24801823)
Thanks, just booked it for 1133 HKD (weekend). Nearly the same as the Sheraton and Holiday Inn next door, but I expect the JW to be significantly better...

it is a new hotel, i guess it will be much better too.

Jiatong May 12, 2015 6:23 am

+1

Originally Posted by guidospizza (Post 24801823)
Thanks, just booked it for 1133 HKD (weekend). Nearly the same as the Sheraton and Holiday Inn next door, but I expect the JW to be significantly better..

I agree, but it will depend on the EL, let us know .

SkiAdcock May 12, 2015 1:35 pm

Just noticed that Macau is getting 3 properties this year:

JW Marriott Macau
Ritz Carlton Macau (opening June 2015)
Zhuhai Marriott (opening September 2015)

Cheers.

SkiAdcock May 12, 2015 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by Jiatong (Post 24802980)
I agree, but it will depend on the EL, let us know .

BTW - the JW is a Cat 7.

According to the website the exec lounge is open daily from 6am-midnight. Doesn't mention breakfast, so wonder if that's in the restaurant or they just forgot to list it.

Special Benefits
This room features Executive lounge access
Open: Sun-Sat, Open: 0600-2400 Daily
Complimentary food:
- midday snack
- afternoon tea
- hors d'oeuvres
- dessert
Complimentary Cocktails
Complimentary non-alcoholic beverages
Complimentary business services
Check-in and Check-out Services
Meeting Room Facilities (Up to 2 Hours per Day)

fredlisancnc May 12, 2015 5:29 pm

Code is not working for any date I put in,,,seems like they used their promotional budget...shame since site says offer good thru May 13, 12 pm

CO-PLAT May 12, 2015 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by fredlisancnc (Post 24806437)
Code is not working for any date I put in,,,seems like they used their promotional budget...shame since site says offer good thru May 13, 12 pm

Same here. I was already planning on staying here with points, but would have paid at the promo rate.

gpia May 26, 2015 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by fredlisancnc (Post 24806437)

Maybe local time?

SkiAdcock May 27, 2015 9:19 am

Originally Posted by guidospizza (Post 24874137)
Maybe local time?

That would be my guess.

Look forward to getting trip reports.

Cheers.

mediator May 27, 2015 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock (Post 24805324)
Just noticed that Macau is getting 3 properties this year:

JW Marriott Macau
Ritz Carlton Macau (opening June 2015)
Zhuhai Marriott (opening September 2015)

Cheers.

Well Zhuhai is actually in mainland China and border control is enforced between Zhuhai and Macau. Still, very good selections for Macau.

neuro0 May 28, 2015 8:49 am

JW Marriott Macau -- gold treatment

This hotel was just opened 2 days ago. Wonder which FTer will be the first to stay? Any elite recongization? Want to know what gold will get in turn of upgrade. Thanks!

SkiAdcock May 28, 2015 10:00 am

JW Marriott Macau & Ritz Carlton

Officially opened.

http://news.marriott.com/2015/05/jw-...or-luxury.html

JW Marriott Hotel Macau and The Ritz-Carlton are located at Galaxy Macau™, Phase II – Macau’s newest, fully integrated world-class resort.

JW is a Cat 7. Exec lounge open daily.

JW Marriott Hotel Macau – A New Benchmark for Luxury

"JW Marriott Hotel Macau will serve as Asia’s flagship hotel, bringing guests a sense of harmony through the richness of authenticity – discovered in the beauty of craftsmanship and delivered with an intuitive response to personal expectations. With 1,015 luxurious rooms and suites styled with elegant sophistication and overlooking magnificent views of the Galaxy Macau™’s Grand Resort Deck and Cotai Macau, the hotel is an effortless luxury retreat that puts guests at ease.

The newly opened JW Marriott Hotel Macau is home to four restaurants, which will provide innovative, intuitive and crafted dining experiences that leave everlasting memories. Helmed by Executive Chef, Bruno Correa, the hotel’s culinary offers include classic Cantonese cuisine in a contemporary Chinese setting at the Man Ho Chinese Restaurant; an all-day dining outlet with international and regional cuisine – Urban Kitchen; the relaxing JW Pool Bar; and the sophisticated lobby lounge The Lounge.

To provide a truly immersive resort experience for guests of all ages, JW Marriott Hotel Macau is also taking the concept of “Edutainment” to Macau via the world’s largest JW Kids’ Club, which features an abundance of interactive activities for children that are designed to educate as well as to entertain. There is a dedicated kids’ pool for vacationing family guests and outdoor pool, in addition to access to Galaxy Macau’s 75,000 m2 Grand Resort Deck with lush oasis gardens, the world’s largest Skytop Wave Pool, the world’s longest Skytop Rapids at 575m and a 350-ton white sand beach. Guests can also choose to stay at the hotel’s exclusive Retreat Studios and Pool Suites to revel in the ultimate relaxation."

The Ritz-Carlton, Macau – Bringing its Legendary Service to the Heart of Macau

Offering the impeccable levels of service for which the brand is famous around the world, The Ritz-Carlton, Macau, will feature over 250 suites on the top floors of the integrated resort.

Whether it is classic Cantonese fine dining at Lai Heen whose chef played a very important role in achieving two-star Michelin restaurant recognition at his previous restaurant; sophisticated high-teas or cocktails with spectacular views over the Cotai skyline at the classic The Ritz-Carlton Bar & Lounge; or the casual and exotic ambience of The Ritz-Carlton Café where guest can indulge in The Ritz-Carlton Jewelry Afternoon Tea; or healthy yet tasty organic fare and traceable seafood at The Ritz-Carlton Pool Bar – all offer an unsurpassed culinary journey sure to inspire the senses.

During their in-room check in on arrival, guests can immerse themselves in the local culture with Chinese tea and local snacks, all to the backdrop of soothing music. In-room amenities include traditional egg-tarts, almond cookies and chocolates along with a bookmark that details the history of Macau.

The relaxing outdoor pool provides spectacular views over Cotai, whilst, for those seeking privacy, the poolside cabanas provide an intimate retreat. For the ultimate pampering experience, guests can immerse themselves in sensorial bliss at the hotel’s spa, ESPA. Featuring ten lavish treatment rooms and three couples’ suites, which infuse elements of design rooted in traditional Chinese and Portuguese architecture, a therapeutic massage session at the idyllic hotel spa is sure to warm the soul."

gpia May 28, 2015 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by neuro0 (Post 24881701)
This hotel was just opened 2 days ago. Wonder which FTer will be the first to stay? Any elite recongization? Want to know what gold will get in turn of upgrade. Thanks!

I'll be staying there on June 6. So far, no TR's from any FTer....still a slim chance I'll be the first one :D

I am a Plat and have deliberately booked the lowest room category to see if I am upgraded :p

nacho May 29, 2015 3:15 am

Originally Posted by mediator (Post 24877926)
Well Zhuhai is actually in mainland China and border control is enforced between Zhuhai and Macau. Still, very good selections for Macau.

Yes - and for foreign visitors to China please check if visa is required.

neuro0 May 29, 2015 6:53 am

Some more pics I found. Site in Chinese
http://www.hopetrip.com.hk/news/201505/233665.html
http://gotrip.hk/article/index.php?id=43198

Dolphinyong May 31, 2015 10:19 pm

Any review?

sniles Jun 1, 2015 2:41 am

Would anyone happen to know what floor the executive lounge of the JW Marriott Macau is on?

Also, where might I find pictures of the Retreat Pool Suite? There don't seem to be any on the website.

Edit: Executive Lounge is on the 2nd floor.

slickalick Jun 2, 2015 10:23 am

I had the opportunity to stay at both the JW and Ritz Carlton just prior to the official opening.

Here are some quick comments - it wouldn't be fair to comment on the service as it was the pre-opening, so i'll comment on the actual rooms and resort itself;

JW Marriott
- The is a large hotel (1000+ rooms) but it doesnt feel like it. The lobby is not some huge cavernous space, but rather quite intimate.
- The room is spacious and very well designed. I liked the photoelectric window between bedroom and bath.
- I had a look at the Retreat Pool and Whirlpool Suites - I believe they are very good value for what you get, whilst certainly not a lap pool, I wouldn't call them a plunge pool either.
- Internet connection was free and very fast (connected 5 devices)
- Amenities were Aromatherapy Associates Ylang Ylang.

Gallery : https://www.flickr.com/photos/133733.../shares/i75cuN

Ritz Carlton
- Check-in on the 50th floor with welcome drink of champagne
- All suite property, around 200+ suites.
- Suites are very similar in layout to the suites at the Galaxy Hotel, but the finishing and decor is very much "Ritz Carlton"
- Living room felt a bit bare - maybe the rooms weren't entirely finished yet, but felt like it needed a nice floral or art piece.
- Bed very comfortable.
- Full marble bathroom, with an excellent high pressure shower head which featured a rotating massage jet. The jaccuzi bath was also very "vigorous".
- Amenities were Asprey Purple Rain.
- Toilet lid has a motion sensor which would lift the seat cover whenever the door to the W.C. was opened.
- I would say these suites are probably the best entry level suites in Macau and certainly very good value for the price.

Gallery : https://www.flickr.com/photos/133733.../shares/NXm39X

The Resort
- The resort is amazing, the water park is a great addition, and something that is very unique to Galaxy.
- There is a big mall due to open with a lot of shopping if you're in to that.
- JW Marriott also features a kids club (peeked in and looked quite big)
- The gym felt quite small (shared between Ritz Carlton and JW Marriott)
- There is an Espa, but didn't see it.
- The dining options are great - there is Bomabna, Fook Lam Moon and Lai Heen from Hong Kong.
- Across the street was their sister hotel, Broadway Theatre which had a street full of restaurants and entertainment. Seemed very lively when we walked around.

Overall I think that the two new properties are very much worth the price they are charging. The place is brand new so certainly there were some service hiccups but overall the staff feel quite engaged and eager to please.

Happy to answer any questions!

SkiAdcock Jun 2, 2015 10:29 am

Thanks for the update/comparisons to the two properties! Much appreciated.

Cheers.

gpia Jun 7, 2015 11:29 pm

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock (Post 24876101)
That would be my guess.

Look forward to getting trip reports.

Cheers.

Here's my first attempt at a TR....

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...e-upgrade.html

Originally Posted by neuro0 (Post 24881701)

Very friendly recognition of status, no upgrade mentioned or offered though. Did get an upgrade at 5am...see the above TR for the reason :D

SkiAdcock Jun 9, 2015 10:22 am

Thanks for the trip report & pictures. Much appreciated!

Cheers.

nldogbert Jun 9, 2015 11:33 am

Thanks all for the review.. nice to see the interior of both properties.
My thoughts:
Ritz Carlton: Too bad, they could have done something more modern yet traditional. I like the service at RC's but really dislike the interior, its just so old school (I know this is their theme). Was really looking forward to a more modern interior, so rather dissapointed.

JW: Looks like another missed chance here on the interior. Very old school again in my opinion. Why did they not follow those like at the JW Marquis Dubai? Feel like another missed chance.
The offerings in the lounge looks great - clearly you can make a dinner out from it.
Scary - the incident you faced. I would have been totally scared .... if that happened especially in Asia (hearing too much stories of sort from Asia) since no idea over what former land was this hotel built. :D

Cheers!

RTWSTARALLIANCE Jun 14, 2015 5:25 pm

Ritz-Carlton stay

I booked a package as it offered the best value IMHO. Upon arrival into the Macau Ferry terminal met exiting immigration by RC staff member holding gold iPad. Taken up one level to Galaxy Toyota passenger van. That is your first clue the owner has sway over everything being offered. Not Rolls at this property. Arriving at the RC which is the entry stop just before the JW greeted by number of staff members then taken up to 33 for check-in process. The Club lounge is on 53 but not all numbers are being used in the building. At the present time not all suites at the RC are in service. They have been open less than a month.

My suite is located center of the building with exceptional full on view of the Galaxy complex. It could not be any better. As stated prior the room is a mix of style. The entry and bathroom being classic and the living room and bedroom more modern. It would be considered a very fine residence. A number of amenity items were presented along with a welcome note from the GM.

The Hotel has been excellent laying out a plan to tour the limited sites in Macau. I was offered transportation both ways but often just caught a cab back. You can only get a cab at the stand. No hailing cabs off the street. On my own made my way around the huge Galaxy complex.

The highlight of the property would not be the general public spaces aka ground lobby but upper floors. The reception desks if you want to call them that as check-ins are processed in the suites is on 51 along with concierge. This is where the Ritz bar is also located along with the Chinese restaurant- Lai Heen. Take a look at the wall behind the concierge station and views from the public spaces on 51. This is also where you would get another lift to 53 aka the Club lounge.

Let's talk about- Lai Heen. Firstly this is the highest located Chinese restaurant in Macau. The restaurant was designed by a Japanese firm and great care along with style has gone into it. Macau, Portuguese, Chinese and Japanese influences are evident. The design and detail will set you back. If possible view the private dining room located in the far back corner facing the Galaxy complex is exceptional in design. Not officially open yet it will be later this week. Trails with invited guests are being carried out.

A real treat and value is the Ritz Café located on one. It actually fronts the Galaxy Mall and has another entrance from the RC lobby. The Chef is from Lyon. Last night I tried the tasting menu. It was amazing. The Chef came out on half the presentations and explained the preparation. Lunch, tea and the tasting dinner menu are values. Very high quality. The staff was attentive. The tasting menu was part of my package!

One of the other additional wonders is the Club lounge. The Club lounge occupies the entire 53 floor. The Club has its own full kitchen and items are cooked to order. This was present at both breakfast and lunch today. Unique there is also a bar just for Club guests. A private bar. I did not see it staffed but it was set up. Take a look at the primary dining room for the Club. Check out the marble and wall panels. Beautiful. Now bring yourself out of this area into the living rooms. Yes, plural. There are private meeting room that when not is use are one of three living room spaces. Very comfortable and spread out.

That's it for now. More maybe after dinner!

neuro0 Jun 15, 2015 12:10 am

Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE (Post 24970014)
Well. My wifi has been dropped four times now so I will do this report when I am in a more stable environment. Sorry for delay.

Can't wait!

dchen2 Jun 23, 2015 4:15 pm

I'm looking at a 2 night midweek stay in Macau. Considering booking the entry level room at either the JW Marriott, Grand Hyatt or Wynn since they're all going for around $250/night.

I know Wynn is in a more central location but the rooms look awfully worn for a 8 year old hotel. The Encore in Vegas has great standard rooms (and even better tower suites) but the Wynn Macau standard rooms seem much more of a conventional meh color scheme and room layout.

I stayed at the Grand Hyatt last year when I was diamond and it was a great stay. Unfortunately I'm only Platinum this year though luckily the entry level rooms here are the 64sqm grand suite King so room should be very nice, just no lounge access.

JW Macau: I am still Marriott Platinum this year so I will receive lounge access. The lack of platinum upgrades for other Plats is a bit disheartening. (Op-Ups due to catastrophic room hardware failure in a sold out state doesn't count!)

Is the JW Macau worth booking over the Wynn and Hyatt cost being equal?

RTWSTARALLIANCE Jun 23, 2015 5:38 pm

I would assume the JW is like the RC where not all rooms are available. Think the RC opened with around 50% of rooms ready. Also. Conrad pricing was very aggressive.

Madone59 Jun 24, 2015 8:18 am

I've never been to Macau, and am thinking about taking my wife. Does Macau have beaches if so do either of these properties have beach access?

Thanks!

RTWSTARALLIANCE Jun 24, 2015 9:03 am

The Galaxy complex which includes JW and RC has its own man made wave pool with sand and a lazy river like Paradise Island in NAS. Looked fun. I'm not sure of any natural beaches but I would not be inclined to wade into any ocean in the area.

sniles Jun 24, 2015 7:13 pm

The Grand Coloane Beach Resort (previously Westin) is situated right by the black sand beach. Only "Beach Resort" I can think of in Macau.

kiwimagic Sep 21, 2015 6:29 am

As a Platinum was upgraded to a One bedroom Suite prior to check-in, impressive considering the occupancy rate was 98%. Breakfast was your choice between the Urban Kitchen on the first floor or the EL on the second. Evening at the EL there were 5 hot selections, Chicken, Pork, Noodles, Pasta, Baked Fish and Won ton, plus the usual, salad, cheese, cold cuts and dessert. I have stayed at over 50% of Asian JW's and this one is the best.

FrenchBullies1975 Oct 6, 2015 1:32 pm

Thanks to everyone who's posted trip reports here.

I've just booked two nights at the RC in mid-October, but since I'm only a lowly Gold Elite, I'm not eligible for access to the Club Lounge there. So now I'm considering switching to the JW to take advantage of what sounds like a great EL.

This is just a lazy, romantic weekend getaway for me and my better half... which way would you go?

gpia Oct 6, 2015 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by fkhatibloo (Post 25526685)
This is just a lazy, romantic weekend getaway for me and my better half... which way would you go?

I would do the JW, the lounge is well worth it for both breakfast and dinner. I did post some pics of the EL and its food & drinks offerings on my TR a few posts up. Best I've seen so far. ^

FrenchBullies1975 Oct 7, 2015 12:03 am

Originally Posted by guidospizza (Post 25528079)
I would do the JW, the lounge is well worth it for both breakfast and dinner. I did post some pics of the EL and its food & drinks offerings on my TR a few posts up. Best I've seen so far. ^

Thank you! Your post was actually part of why I'm reconsidering the JW. On one hand, it seems silly to split hairs over a few glasses of bubbly when we're probably going to be lazing about in bed and at the pool all day.

OTOH, it would be nice to have that amenity whenever we want it... :p

gpia Oct 7, 2015 1:35 am

Originally Posted by fkhatibloo (Post 25528789)
OTOH, it would be nice to have that amenity whenever we want it... :p

If you decide to go, let me know if they did add bread to the evening buffet spread at the EL :D

FrenchBullies1975 Oct 7, 2015 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by slickalick (Post 24907275)
I had the opportunity to stay at both the JW and Ritz Carlton just prior to the official opening.

Happy to answer any questions!

Taking you up on the offer to answer questions! I'd posted upthread, but basically, trying to decide whether to splurge on the RC without Club access, or to go w/the JW (with EL access as I'm MR Gold). This is for a lazy weekend with my better half... TIA!

CO-PLAT Nov 30, 2015 7:58 pm

Here now on 2-night award stay. Upgraded to Executive Suite. Large living area.
http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/...psuqpndxym.jpg

Two toilets. Two 56” TVs in wall. 7-8 pocket doors throughout. Great view through 10’ floor to ceiling windows.

http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/...psvc37bdo7.jpg

Curtains automatically open at night when I open the door. Soft-closing drawers! Large walk-in closet with changing/make-up area.
http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/...pst3xeunc7.jpg
http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/...ps3avex1tl.jpg
http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/...psdjtirpni.jpg
Minibar
http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/...ps7hhwagfc.jpg[/IMG]
Safe remembers your combo so no need to re-enter it each time.
The Grand Resort Deck closed today through 29-Feb-2016 for maintenance. I hope they add a water heater! I took two laps of the “river” yesterday and loved it. Each lap takes about 15 minutes.

At night, there are periodic light shows where all the lights of the Galaxy Resort are synchronized into a show.

Complimentary shuttle bus from the airport takes 10-15 minutes. The lounge couldn’t break my 500 notes with “small change”. There is an attendant standing outside the lounge to verify your room number and escort you to a table. The front of the lounge is more casual with about 20 tables and two refrigerators with soft drinks. The interior of the lounge appears a bit more formal (like a restaurant) and has food & alcoholic drinks spread out over three walls. Heineken, Carlsberg, Corona and Guinness. Three red wines and some white.

The master toilet has a built-in night light.
http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/...ps3xtxfdc2.jpg
Large fruit plate in room upon arrival.

Found a third TV inside bathroom mirror.
http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/...psbevf02ek.jpg
LED rope light under foot of bed cannot be turned off. I reached under and unplugged one of the wires.

Platinum benefits
http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/...psukpjcv07.jpg

Walked down the hallway of ground floor and the JW transitions into the Ritz Carlton. I'm on 31st floor (top of JW) and it appears the Ritz begins at 32 and goes to 52.

CO-PLAT Dec 1, 2015 6:14 am

Late check-out of 1:30 requested & granted.

SkiAdcock Dec 1, 2015 8:43 am

Thanks for the trip report & pics (and exec lounge card - I'll update the sticky).

Cheers.

RTWSTARALLIANCE Mar 29, 2016 3:53 pm

Just returned from Ritz-Carlton Macao. Up to full speed. Sky villas should open this year on 52. Up to 4 villas will take up one entire floor. The offerings on Club were strong. Those booking Club are given car service by appointment / first come first served. Used this from / to ferry terminal. The casino on 50 is not open and private lifts are not active as of now.

Had lunch at Lai Heen which was exceptional. Booked room which means standard suite in all suite property and upgraded to Carlton suite perfectly centered to overlook Galaxy complex. Certainly one of the most beautiful hotels in the upper level common areas, suites and Club. True luxury.