FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   W Hotel Bogota [Master Thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1666812-w-hotel-bogota-master-thread.html)

abk Mar 27, 2015 8:59 pm

W Hotel Bogota [Master Thread]

I haven't found a master thread or any reports on this hotel. Anyone care to post their experiences. Moderator if I have missed a thread please combine or delete.

forumpersona999 Mar 27, 2015 11:32 pm

I think you do have the power to create one for a new property if there isn't an existing one.

Just name it "W Bogota [Master Thread]" and fire away...

As a big fan of the brand I look forward to getting down there and party :D

Lappe Mar 28, 2015 3:00 am

Seems to be so new that not much experiences available! I'm really looking forward to my stay there, but that won't be until August.
The few reviews on Tripadvisor are very positive.

pricesquire Mar 28, 2015 7:24 am

Hate the brand (W), love the fact Bogota is blowing up - in the best sense of the word - with new hotel options. Add in the two new Four Seasons and BAM, Bogota has an international hotel scene. Happy for the city on the rebound. Can't wait to re-visit.

UKTraveller4Fun Mar 28, 2015 11:26 am

I would expect this property to be excellent, the GM has plenty of W experience and from my personal dealings with him in the past has an excellent way of getting the most from the staff in the property working as a team which I always find makes such a difference to the experience guests have!

margarita girl May 2, 2015 6:15 pm

Can anyone comment on Platinum recognition and breakfast at this property? I realize it is brand new.

CLEguy Jun 2, 2015 5:36 pm

Seconded (thirded? fourthed?) the request for any experiences here.

bthotugigem05 Sep 3, 2015 10:46 pm

Staying here tomorrow, will report.

abk Sep 4, 2015 8:44 pm

Please do.

bhrubin Sep 18, 2015 10:32 am

Originally Posted by bthotugigem05 (Post 25375216)
Staying here tomorrow, will report.

Anything to report from your stay? I'll be heading here in late February and am very curious.

tompoints Sep 24, 2015 10:19 pm

Eagerly awaiting a review as well! Seems decent :)

longtimereader firstimeposter Sep 25, 2015 12:28 pm

I previously staid at this hotel when it first opened last December.

Check-in: Small lobby on the first floor with two check in counters. Very friendly staff who spoke perfect English. The 2nd floor is more of the lounge / lobby area that had a restaurant and their concierge desk.

Room: I was upgraded to what I believe was a marvelous suite using a SNA. Very nice room with a full bathroom and a half bathroom. Full size bottles of bliss products, two vanity sinks, full bathtub and separate shower. The living room was nice as well with a sectional type couch and small bar area. Only complaint is the standard W room type with everything fairly open however most frequent W guests will know what they are getting into.

Breakfast: Standard breakfast fair for platinum amenity: fruit, cured meats, cheeses and pastries/breads. The breakfast was served in the restaurant area. Not sure if they had additional options as my waiter had limited English (frequent in Colombia).

Gym: I am a gym rat and usually hotel gyms do not fit my needs. At this hotel this was not the case because there was a full size gym and decent indoor pool that you can do labs in. Also has a "studio" that you could stretch or yoga. Also, there were a couple of trainers that asked if I need help.

Staff: Staff was great during my stay. The lady at the concierge desk was able to get a car for me and charge it to my room which is very nice in Colombia (Bogota also has Uber). Overall most of the staff spoke perfect English minus the wait staff at the restaurant.

Area: The hotel is in the Usaquen area. I go to Bogota maybe 2-3 times a year and the Usaquen area has always been described to me as an up and coming area with a lot of great restaurants that rivals Zona Rosa. The hotel is across the "Septima" (highway/major street) from all the restaurants and bars. I would feel comfortable walking around the area but locals may advise against it. Overall safe area but one should always be cognizant of petty crime.

Overall great hotel. I am usually not a big W fan having staid at their locations at Lake Shore Chicago, Dallas and New York. This hotel felt a little more personal, boutique like and not so beaten up as the previous Ws I have staid at. As I mentioned the room was a little awkward with the open bathrooms but still comfortable.

Here is a video of the room I staid in:

https://vimeo.com/140464056

forumpersona999 Sep 25, 2015 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by longtimereader firstimeposter (Post 25478061)
I previously staid at this hotel when it first opened last December.

Check-in: Small lobby on the first floor with two check in counters. Very friendly staff who spoke perfect English. The 2nd floor is more of the lounge / lobby area that had a restaurant and their concierge desk.

Room: I was upgraded to what I believe was a marvelous suite using a SNA. Very nice room with a full bathroom and a half bathroom. Full size bottles of bliss products, two vanity sinks, full bathtub and separate shower. The living room was nice as well with a sectional type couch and small bar area. Only complaint is the standard W room type with everything fairly open however most frequent W guests will know what they are getting into.

Breakfast: Standard breakfast fair for platinum amenity: fruit, cured meats, cheeses and pastries/breads. The breakfast was served in the restaurant area. Not sure if they had additional options as my waiter had limited English (frequent in Colombia).

Gym: I am a gym rat and usually hotel gyms do not fit my needs. At this hotel this was not the case because there was a full size gym and decent indoor pool that you can do labs in. Also has a "studio" that you could stretch or yoga. Also, there were a couple of trainers that asked if I need help.

Staff: Staff was great during my stay. The lady at the concierge desk was able to get a car for me and charge it to my room which is very nice in Colombia (Bogota also has Uber). Overall most of the staff spoke perfect English minus the wait staff at the restaurant.

Area: The hotel is in the Usaquen area. I go to Bogota maybe 2-3 times a year and the Usaquen area has always been described to me as an up and coming area with a lot of great restaurants that rivals Zona Rosa. The hotel is across the "Septima" (highway/major street) from all the restaurants and bars. I would feel comfortable walking around the area but locals may advise against it. Overall safe area but one should always be cognizant of petty crime.

Overall great hotel. I am usually not a big W fan having staid at their locations at Lake Shore Chicago, Dallas and New York. This hotel felt a little more personal, boutique like and not so beaten up as the previous Ws I have staid at. As I mentioned the room was a little awkward with the open bathrooms but still comfortable.

Here is a video of the room I staid in:

https://vimeo.com/140464056

Great review, I was waiting for one for Bogota. Thanks! ^^

With regards to your comments re: the W brand: You mentioned NYC and Lake Shore... You know what.. These are some of the worst W in the world. Do not give up on the brand just yet.

Hollywood, New Orleans French Quarter, NYC and Chicago Lakeshore do not do the W brand justice.

If you try St Petersburg, Bangkok, Hong Kong, Quebec and Austin, TX you will probably love it.

bhrubin Sep 25, 2015 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by forumpersona999 (Post 25479586)
Great review, I was waiting for one for Bogota. Thanks! ^^

With regards to your comments re: the W brand: You mentioned NYC and Lake Shore... You know what.. These are some of the worst W in the world. Do not give up on the brand just yet.

Hollywood, New Orleans French Quarter, NYC and Chicago Lakeshore do not do the W brand justice.

If you try St Petersburg, Bangkok, Hong Kong, Quebec and Austin, TX you will probably love it.

Do remember that many of those were built/refurbished as the original W properties before Starwood recognized that the rates they commanded made them more appropriate for the luxury segment. As a result, Starwood has been on a tear since 2012 and again in 2014-2015 to renovate and restyle many of the original roster of W properties:

http://www.hospitalitynet.org/news/4065212.html

W Hotels Worldwide Continues Cutting-Edge Renovation Rollout across The Americas

From New York to Chicago, Mexico City to Los Angeles, W Showcases What’s New and Next with Innovative Updates to The Americas Portfolio
San Fran already looks much better and has had quite a service boost, IMO. Hollywood needs a big shake-up, but many of the tired N. American W properties are looking to be much improved. Westwood's plans look fantastic, and Seattle (the very first built to suit W hotel) is getting a facelift for all of its rooms this year.

nov11 Oct 16, 2015 11:58 am

I tried using the reply with hotel review tab but it wouldn't allow me to click submit new thread, but here's my review of the hotel:

Check-in:
Check-in and check-out was on the slow side - I don't know if it's due to the fact that Colombian hotels have many systems to deal with. But besides that, the service was great.

Room:
I booked a Wonderful room and was upgraded to a Fabulous room at check-in. No suites available as the hotel was quite busy (2 rock bands were staying in my hotel too!). The rooms are decent in size and the bathroom has an "open concept". You could draw a curtain between bedroom and bathroom, but there isn't any physical door. See-through glass for the toilet and shower.

Service:
Service was great. However, I think it was a new housekeeper but she took my iPhone charger while I left the room for lunch. Due to some communications barrier, I ask the housekeeper if she saw my iPhone charger and she told me yes and she returned it to me. That's rather odd, but I told the front desk about it and they told me the housekeeper mistakenly took my charger because she thought I loaned it from the front desk (doesn't make much sense but nothing else was missing).

Dining:
Dining is decent for the breakfast platinum amenity. Fresh selection of fruits, yogurt, some local breakfast food (no made to order eggs station IIRC) with fresh fruit juice.

It's located in the upscale Usaquén district of Bogota with Hacienda Santa Barbara right across from the street. It's surronded by a few new office buildings. Takes about 40-50 minutes to get to El Dorado Airport and cost around 270,000-300,000 COP to the airport (via Uber or taxi). Very convenient to restaurants in the Usaquén districts (5 minutes walk).