Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Berlin Grand Hotel Esplanade, Germany [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2014, 4:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A3*G, UA PP, MR LTTE, was HH/D now Gold

After the disaster with an possible Sheraton property connected to the new Central Station, Berlin finally got a new Starwood property.

On 19 December 2014 the 1907 built Grand Hotel Esplanade was rebranded as Sheraton (after refurbishment).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hotel_Esplanade_Berlin
http://www.esplanadeberlin.com/default-en.html
Old Dec 20, 2014, 5:30 pm

While it is great to have a second choice in Berlin this hotel has nothing in common with the old Esplanade Hotel at Potsdamer Platz, except for the name.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 5:48 pm

Programs: EX²-*wood platinum, EX-hyatt diamond, sixt platinum, hilton silver, leaders club, esselunga verde...
http://www.starwoodhotels.com/sherat...language=en_US
Old Dec 20, 2014, 6:22 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
I've stayed at the Grand Hotel Esplanade multiple times and love the location.

I'm curious to see how it will change as a *W property.

For those interested, Frequent Business Traveler (where I am editorial director) ran a news story about it earlier today:

Berlin’s Grand Hotel Esplanade Reopens As Sheraton
Starwood Hotels announced the opening of the Sheraton Berlin Grand Hotel Esplanade, formerly the Grand Hotel Esplanade. The hotel, which has no connection to the pre-war Hotel Esplanade on the Potsdamer Platz, is in Berlin Mitte, not far from the Kurfürstendamm or Ku’damm, one of the city’s most fashionable shopping streets, as well as near the Potsdamer Platz and the Tiergarten park. The hotel overlooks the Landwehrkanal that runs parallel to the Spree River....

<SNIP>
Old Dec 21, 2014, 3:08 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
What a nice present for X-Mas! Will be interesting to see how this will change things for the Westin. Great chance to lure over frustrated customers to the Sheraton with a Club Lounge and three dozen suites.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 3:25 am

Programs: lh sen
Originally Posted by red star
While it is great to have a second choice in Berlin this hotel has nothing in common with the old Esplanade Hotel at Potsdamer Platz, except for the name.

You are probably right and you will be disappointed with the more modern design. When did you stay last time in the Esplanade at Potsdamer?

The new Esplanade is at the moment not bookable on the starwood webpage from january spg members will get the benefits. There is a very nice suite on the top floor with two bedrooms and an open fireplace. The location of the hotel is really excellent and for sure it will become the favorite spot for all spg fanatics in Berlin.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 4:22 am

Originally Posted by carpetbagger
You are probably right and you will be disappointed with the more modern design. When did you stay last time in the Esplanade at Potsdamer?
I don't think anyone has stayed at that Esplanade since 1944, it was largely destroyed in WWII.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hotel_Esplanade_Berlin
Old Dec 21, 2014, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by Kenji
After the disaster with an possible Sheraton property connected to the new Central Station, Berlin finally got a new Starwood property.

On 19 December 2014 the 1907 built Grand Hotel Esplanade was rebranded as Sheraton (after refurbishment).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hotel_Esplanade_Berlin
http://www.esplanadeberlin.com/default-en.html
As already noted by other posters above, the two hotels have nothing to do with each other.

The Sheraton is the rebranded Grand Hotel Esplanade Berlin. It is on Lützowufer in the western part of Berlin. It's a 1960s/1970s concrete box. The old Esplanade Hotel at Potsdamer Platz has indeed been destroyed during WWII and been completely razed later to make space for the Berlin wall.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by kamel123
As already noted by other posters above, the two hotels have nothing to do with each other.

The Sheraton is the rebranded Grand Hotel Esplanade Berlin. It is on Lützowufer in the western part of Berlin. It's a 1960s/1970s concrete box. The old Esplanade Hotel at Potsdamer Platz has indeed been destroyed during WWII and been completely razed later to make space for the Berlin wall.
Actually, a big chunk of the old Esplanade containing the function rooms survived the war and was eventually integrated into the Sony Center as the Esplanade Residence. Again, though, it has absolutely no connection to the new Sheraton, except the same name.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 4:52 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
What a fantastic Christmas present!!!
Old Dec 22, 2014, 10:46 am

Programs: Marriott LTT, LH SEN
Originally Posted by Forstbetrieb
Looking at their calendar ("Find available dates for Sheraton Berlin Grand Hotel Esplanade") they have for 2015 "Lowest Standard Rate" available for most days, but never "Club Room & Lounge". Wonder if / when the lounge will be operational.

Also, I wonder what the description "Male access club room" ("Clubroom mit Zugang für Herren"/"Chambre Club réservée aux hommes") means under details for the Executive Suite.
Old Jan 1, 2015, 3:35 am
Moderator, SkyTeam and Germany

Programs: BA, LH, KL, EY, IHG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, Radisson
A very good new year 2015 to everybody here!

I've been very surprised to find this hotel as a new option for spg in Berlin. Greatly appreciated! The spg website offers only very basic information but the hotels own website shows great fotos of the rooms.

Room rates for standard rooms are ok, but I'm very surprised by the suite rates: Penthouse suite 60 sqm is less than double the rate of a standard room for the dates I looked into.

I'll report back after my first stay there end of January.
Old Jan 1, 2015, 5:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by carpetbagger

The new Esplanade is at the moment not bookable on the starwood webpage from january spg members will get the benefits. There is a very nice suite on the top floor with two bedrooms and an open fireplace. The location of the hotel is really excellent and for sure it will become the favorite spot for all spg fanatics in Berlin.
Last time? January 1944....
Old Jan 1, 2015, 5:53 am

Programs: UA *S , MR LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
Any update on the Club Lounge? Normally staying at the Marriott when I am in Berlin, but having a SPG property with a (decent) Club Lounge as an option would be very nice and might make me move some nights over to *wood.

Greetings - Dirk
Old Jan 1, 2015, 7:32 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
Originally Posted by djohannw
Any update on the Club Lounge? Normally staying at the Marriott when I am in Berlin, but having a SPG property with a (decent) Club Lounge as an option would be very nice and might make me move some nights over to *wood.

Greetings - Dirk
I assume the property will be given a grace period until which it has to be fully compliant, so I guess patience is the name of the game.

€89 and a lounge plus a good shot at a suite (I really hope they do not only categorize the Exec. Suites to be eligible) seems to be a great deal, even in comparison to places with a lounge like the Marriott or Hyatt.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.