Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

STRAF, Design Hotel - Milan, Italy [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2019, 11:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium

Cat 5. Hotel website:

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/trav...design-hotels/

"An unconventional building with an intellectual design, in the heart of Milan: 66 rooms and suites combine two philosophies which are unlikely but successful partners: extreme hi-tech functionality with a minimalist feel and the warm, intimate atmosphere of rooms designed with elegant, innovative materials like quarry-rough slate, burnished brass, concrete and iron, gauze-effect glass and mirrors aged by hand, along with furnishings specially designed by Vincenzo De Cotiis.The hotel offers a restaurant. A bar/lounge is on site where guests can unwind with a drink. A complimentary breakfast is offered each morning. Public areas are equipped with complimentary wired and wireless Internet access. Business-related amenities consist of a business center corner and a meeting room. Event facilities measure 431 square feet (40 square meters). An Art Deco hotel also offers a fitness center, tour/ticket assistance, and multilingual staff. Valet parking is available onsite for a surcharge."
Old Aug 6, 2019, 6:48 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE
Here's a short review of my stay at the STRAF since no one else has posted about it yet...

Location wise, the STRAF is perfect, situated right next to the Duomo. Easy access to the metro, and walking distance to all the major sites that I visited during my stay.

Check-in and check-out was pleasant - staff were warm and welcoming. Only slight hiccup was the integration with Bonvoy - they had my reservation and my reward certs, but they weren't able to see my Bonvoy status on the reservation on check-in or check-out. They had to confirm status by looking it up in the system.

Got a standard double room - don't think I received any upgrades as a Bonvoy Ambassador Elite member and didn't ask at check-in. Room was small, but I loved the design. Washroom was covered in burnished brass, walls were concrete in the sleeping area. Loved the doors they used for the rooms - looks like a warehouse elevator door, but opened traditionally. Shower pressure was great with an overhead shower. Only slight issue there was the lack of a door for the shower cubicle... quite a bit of water got out into the bathroom floor. Also a lack of electrical outlets in the room, only one under the desk and one in the washroom that I could find. They didn't offer the small shampoo/conditioner bottles - they had the refillable big bottles of soap/body wash/shampoo, but weren't wall mounted. Not a problem for me, but it may be for some people in this forum.

Breakfast was included due to my status - very decent spread for breakfast. Eggs, bacon, sausages, a variety of hams, cheeses and breads. Coffee was surprisingly good as well.

Would definitely stay again, but may book a bigger room or ask for an upgrade at check-in next time.
nexus7556 likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2022, 5:34 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
I just completed a stay here. It was good, but not sure I'd stay again unless I need to be in this particular area.

Check-in was seamless but there was no recognition of status in any way, and breakfast was not included even as Titanium. Also, my prepaid reservation was not picked up as being from a Bonvoy hotel on my Amex Brilliant card, I had to call Amex to correct this to get the proper points.

We booked and received the Junior Suite, which really is just a larger room on the top floor with a tiny terrace with a view of the Duomo. No separate seating area. Even with it being a "larger" room its quite small. We learned Junior Suites do not include spa access despite the website saying spa access is included with all suites (50EUR/guest/hour otherwise). It is a nice room, comfortable bed, and similar decor as described by @Jebby_ca- it really is beautiful.

The STRAFbar outside is quite nice, great drinks, good price, and the snacks the serve are great. Even not staying here its a good place to stop for a cocktail.

A list of frustrations with the property:
  • The walls are quite thin and every morning we could hear neighbors in the hallway and construction next door. There are also loud water pipes through the walls that seemed to always be running.
  • Somehow the heat kept turning on in the room too. We turned it off because it was set quite hot (26C), but after an hour or so it would automatically turn back on. Quite frustrating.
  • The room service is atrocious. They only have four options: pizza, risotto, steak frites, and lasagna. We ordered risotto and a pizza. The risotto tasted like Ben's original microwavable rice, and the pizza was something I could get in a convenience store in USA.
For the price I'm sure we could have stayed somewhere with a larger room and better recognition.
Old Mar 10, 2023, 11:39 am

Programs: Delta PM 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Please clarify the latest info on brekkie, some say no breakfast, some say it’s included for Titanium. If someone has been there recently, please reply. Thanks !
Old Mar 28, 2023, 11:10 am

Programs: Delta PM 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Cat 5. Hotel website:

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/trav...design-hotels/

"An unconventional building with an intellectual design, in the heart of Milan: 66 rooms and suites combine two philosophies which are unlikely but successful partners: extreme hi-tech functionality with a minimalist feel and the warm, intimate atmosphere of rooms designed with elegant, innovative materials like quarry-rough slate, burnished brass, concrete and iron, gauze-effect glass and mirrors aged by hand, along with furnishings specially designed by Vincenzo De Cotiis.The hotel offers a restaurant. A bar/lounge is on site where guests can unwind with a drink. A complimentary breakfast is offered each morning. Public areas are equipped with complimentary wired and wireless Internet access. Business-related amenities consist of a business center corner and a meeting room. Event facilities measure 431 square feet (40 square meters). An Art Deco hotel also offers a fitness center, tour/ticket assistance, and multilingual staff. Valet parking is available onsite for a surcharge."
Sorry no complimentary breakfast, I emphasized I was a Lifetime Titanium and was told I had access to the spa as a benefit, which for me, is no benefit at all. They mentioned that the are loosely associated with Marriott, so not required for them, will see if the points come through. Location is unbeatable, close to Duomo and the Galleria. Staff we dealt with was cheerful and efficient. No water provided in the room, except for arrival day. The mini fridge has plenty of it at ridiculously high cost. Noise can be heard form hallway adjacent and higher rooms. Bathroom is the most inconvenient I have ever experienced, no room to put anything, and a mail slot size opening for a trash receptacle. We had trouble with a light turning itself on in the middle of the night and the switch could not turn it off; that was fixed right away. If it wasn’t for the location, it would be 2 1/2 stars. See attached …..
Attached Images  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.