Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

JW Marriott Dongdaemun Design Square, Seoul [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JW Marriott Dongdaemun Design Square, Seoul [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2018, 6:08 pm

Any recent platinum/pp stays recently? Wanted to know if we can take breakfast in the restaurant instead of the lounge as we are using the 7 night certificate and wanted to mix it up between the lounge and restaurant. The master thread wording is slightly confusing. Also, does anyone know about access to the fitness center and the jacuzzi spa baths at this place? Can’t figure out if there is a charge for it (outside of calling the hotel directly).
Old Nov 10, 2018, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by myperks
Any recent platinum/pp stays recently? Wanted to know if we can take breakfast in the restaurant instead of the lounge as we are using the 7 night certificate and wanted to mix it up between the lounge and restaurant. The master thread wording is slightly confusing. Also, does anyone know about access to the fitness center and the jacuzzi spa baths at this place? Can’t figure out if there is a charge for it (outside of calling the hotel directly).
Was lounge only during my last stay but I overslept and just went out for Korean food. Basic spread with hot eggs made to order.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 5:47 am

Had a couple night last week. This place is “luxurious” in most aspects and the pricing reflects it.

As for platinum+ benefits, lounge acesss on the 10th floor with breakfast in lounge only unless you have someone under 18 (because lounge is 18+ which is a plus). Happy hour is decent with full bar and hot/cold dishes and snacks good enough for a light dinner.

Service is phenomenal throughout all departments.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 9:40 am

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl.
Since Hera Fashion Week was being held nearby, the hotel was nearly full, and I was using a hotel award, I was prepared for the "no standard suite" excuse. Since some of the room options would have required a mid-stay move, the front desk got a manager to approve an upgrade to one of the nicest suites in the hotel. Although overall service was outstanding, I found the lounge employees especially friendly and helpful. One woman prepared a list of phrases in Hangul and encouraged me to practice them. Another woman, sent a very nice note and macaroons to my room on the last night of my stay. I know some posters don't consider JW Marriott's luxury, but the service at this one was exceptional even when compared to the St. Regis and Park Hyatt that I stayed in during my recent trip.
Aventine likes this.

Last edited by rny321; Nov 22, 2018 at 9:50 am
Old Nov 22, 2018, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rny321
Since Hera Fashion Week was being held nearby, the hotel was nearly full, and I was using a hotel award, I was prepared for the "no standard suite" excuse. Since some of the room options would have required a mid-stay move, the front desk got a manager to approve an upgrade to one of the nicest suites in the hotel. Although overall service was outstanding, I found the lounge employees especially friendly and helpful. One woman prepared a list of phrases in Hangul and encouraged me to practice them. Another woman, sent a very nice note and macaroons to my room on the last night of my stay. I know some posters don't consider JW Marriott's luxury, but the service at this one was exceptional even when compared to the St. Regis and Park Hyatt that I stayed in during my recent trip.
I think some JW Marriott properties can definitely punch above their weight in certain markets. It's the Luxury Forum that usually has grievances with including JW Marriotts as top luxury options.
rny321 likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 2:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Is the 18+ lounge rule enforced 24/7? That would make me consider staying here.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 2:50 pm

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl.
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I can't say whether it was because the rule was enforced or just a coincidence, but there were no children in the lounge at any time during my stay.

Last edited by rny321; Nov 23, 2018 at 5:33 pm
Old Nov 26, 2018, 4:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I believe so. I've only seen adult children in there.

https://www.marriott.com/hotelwebsit...icies-2017.pdf
Old Dec 2, 2018, 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by Aventine
I believe so. I've only seen adult children in there.

https://www.marriott.com/hotelwebsit...icies-2017.pdf
cleaning out the carry on and found the sheet given when checking in. Similar to the link above but slightly more information if anyone is interested.

Old Dec 3, 2018, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

The shirt pressing could be useful. Definitely differentiates this hotel from Grand Hyatt, Park Hyatt and FS.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 6:00 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
Is it worth burning an SNA for a 3-day leisure stay in May here, or are they friendly to PPs and an upgrade to an executive suite is a not-impossible task without an SNA? Any recent experiences?
Old Dec 11, 2018, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by callmedtop
Is it worth burning an SNA for a 3-day leisure stay in May here, or are they friendly to PPs and an upgrade to an executive suite is a not-impossible task without an SNA? Any recent experiences?
I would use the SNA. May has 2 major Korean holidays and could be a busy time for the hotel with staycations.
callmedtop likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 2:07 pm

Something weird is happening with the 1 King / 2 Double rooms at that hotel.

I made a points reservation a few weeks ago for a room with 2 Double beds. The confirmation email shows:

Room Type = Deluxe, Guest room, 1 King or 2 Double, City view
Guaranteed Requests = 2 Double Beds
A few days ago I was checking something on my reservation and noticed that the confirmation page on the website now lists my reservation as being for "Deluxe King, Guest room, 1 King, City view" and shows "Unavailable: 2 Double Beds".

Doing some digging, I strongly suspect that they used to list a "Deluxe" room with an option for either 1 King or 2 Double beds, and they are now listing those two rooms separately. But they did so by renaming the "Deluxe" room into a "Deluxe King" room (and removing its option for 2 beds) then adding a new room type called "Deluxe Double".

I emailed the hotel and they replied that "I am happy to confirm that your room type has been guaranteed with 2 double beds for your upcoming stay as you are a valuable Platinum elite member of Marriott". So it's a bit reassuring, even though that's not at all what my online confirmation says (still shows room type as "1 King" and "Unavailable: 2 Double Beds").

My other problem is that my reservation is for 7 nights (travel certificate) and I wanted to add an 8th night with points, so it has to be on a separate reservation. But it seems that the new "Deluxe Double" room isn't bookable with points, only the old "Deluxe" room is (so now "Deluxe King"). So I'm not sure how to go about this.

I really wanted this hotel but it's adding some unnecessary headaches

Last edited by mk712; Dec 21, 2018 at 2:13 pm
Old Dec 22, 2018, 12:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mk712
Something weird is happening with the 1 King / 2 Double rooms at that hotel.

I made a points reservation a few weeks ago for a room with 2 Double beds. The confirmation email shows:

A few days ago I was checking something on my reservation and noticed that the confirmation page on the website now lists my reservation as being for "Deluxe King, Guest room, 1 King, City view" and shows "Unavailable: 2 Double Beds".

Doing some digging, I strongly suspect that they used to list a "Deluxe" room with an option for either 1 King or 2 Double beds, and they are now listing those two rooms separately. But they did so by renaming the "Deluxe" room into a "Deluxe King" room (and removing its option for 2 beds) then adding a new room type called "Deluxe Double".

I emailed the hotel and they replied that "I am happy to confirm that your room type has been guaranteed with 2 double beds for your upcoming stay as you are a valuable Platinum elite member of Marriott". So it's a bit reassuring, even though that's not at all what my online confirmation says (still shows room type as "1 King" and "Unavailable: 2 Double Beds").

My other problem is that my reservation is for 7 nights (travel certificate) and I wanted to add an 8th night with points, so it has to be on a separate reservation. But it seems that the new "Deluxe Double" room isn't bookable with points, only the old "Deluxe" room is (so now "Deluxe King"). So I'm not sure how to go about this.

I really wanted this hotel but it's adding some unnecessary headaches
Go there and have them add it on or contact their Rooms division. I'm sure they would love to take your points for the 8th night!
Old Dec 23, 2018, 8:45 pm

Alright, I booked the extra night (as a Deluxe King since that was the only one showing up with points) and emailed them asking if it was possible for them to update my reservations so that it officially shows "2 Double" on the website to avoid any problems at check in. They replied:

As we are doing the procss of changing room type on the hotel system, you may see only king bed room is available on your confirmation.
However, we confirm two double bed room for below two reservations. Please do not worry about the room type.
Alright then, I suppose I'll just have to live with it. Fingers crossed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.