Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Hotel Punta Islita, Autograph Collection, Costa Rica [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hotel Punta Islita, Autograph Collection, Costa Rica [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2018, 11:24 am

Thanks for the replies. I'm pretty sold on this place, and I think we can make 7 nights work. The included activities make it a major value for us, and the menus at the restaurants suggest we could have enough variety to keep us satisfied. That, and the price of flights work out the best to make staying an extra two days worth it. My plan is to book the standard room, and hope to get an upgrade to a suite.

How far in advance of our stay would they offer any comped upgrade?
Affording the cash upgrade might be tricky, how long would we have to accept it once it is offered?
Old Dec 6, 2018, 1:05 pm

Programs: United 1P
Thank you, Kacee and CCIE!

Originally Posted by Kacee
May is right on the cusp between dry and wet season. But we were in Guanacaste in April at the end of a very dry dry season, and mosquitoes were still a big issue, especially at sunset.
Originally Posted by CCIE_Flyer
Looks like it was the second month of May. I am not clear whether there is a big seasonal fluctuation, or if the rain forest conditions are just right for a healthy mosquito population pretty much year-round. Let me just clarify, though, that I spent a LOT of time out by the plunge pool reading in the hammock, so I had perhaps more exposure than others may typically experience.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 6:15 pm

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Hyatt Explorist,, Delta Plat,
Deleted

Last edited by dcstudent; Feb 21, 2019 at 8:13 pm
Old Jul 10, 2019, 10:24 pm

When trying to book a points redemption, three in a room is 35k points per night. Four in room, however, does not offer any points redemptions, only cash at $500+ for the either the two or three room villas. Yet, the most basic standard room offered is with two double beds, which fits our needs.

Any thoughts on how to book a points redemption for four in a room?
Old Jul 10, 2019, 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by guywhocan
When trying to book a points redemption, three in a room is 35k points per night. Four in room, however, does not offer any points redemptions, only cash at $500+ for the either the two or three room villas. Yet, the most basic standard room offered is with two double beds, which fits our needs.

Any thoughts on how to book a points redemption for four in a room?
You can email [email protected] to inquire. If there are two kids in your group, I see no problem of booking a double room for four of you.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 12:06 pm

Are the pools heated?
Old Aug 20, 2019, 7:00 pm

Were the pools heated? Main pool and plunge pool? Planning on going in November.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Maps suggest 2.5hr to LIR - how early should we leave the place to catch 11 am flt?
I assume no later than 6 30 and better yet at 6 considering car return etc... iirc mornings at LIR are quiet..
bhrubin likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 11:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No mosquitos whatsoever in late november. I have no rational explanation as they feasted on us in papagayo.
An excellent authentic property overall.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 9:10 am

Here at Punta Islita for a week if anyone has question. Love it so far
kgkg likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by Schutzee
Here at Punta Islita for a week if anyone has question. Love it so far
Is the pool water chilly? Or is the pool heated? Thanks!
Old Jan 26, 2020, 11:44 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
I also stayed here last week. The pool isn't heated but the overall weather was so warm that the water temperature was very comfortable.
kgkg likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 12:51 pm

Pool is refreshing but by no means cold. Be sure to stock upon water, snacks, etc. before you arrive. Nothing nearby. I just drove 45 min each way to Samara. Found several grocery stores and the excellent Roots Bakery there.
kgkg likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 5:27 pm

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Hyatt Explorist,, Delta Plat,
Staying here in April for 5 nights to celebrate 10th wedding anniversary. Somewhat disturbed as I had booked with points and called to reserve a premium suite with plunge pool for $150 a night. Received a confirmation email reflecting the premium jr suite and my reservation changed in Marriott.com

Fast forward to today, my Marriott.com reservation has reverted to a standard points redemption. Hotel showing sold out for the premium suites. I've written the management company directly (same woman with whom I arranged the confirmed upgrade). Hope it's just an it glitch!
Old Jan 26, 2020, 9:21 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Delta Gold, AA Platinum, United Silver
Funny enough, we just got back home late Saturday following a 5 night stay there. It was our fifth trip there.

The property is beautiful and always seems pretty empty because the property is large relative to the maximum occupancy.

the employees there are generally wonderful.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.