FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   JW Marriott Essex House, New York City (Manhattan) [Master Thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1489552-jw-marriott-essex-house-new-york-city-manhattan-master-thread.html)

SkiAdcock Mar 27, 2018 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by michelin (Post 29574029)
I had that happen at the Marriott East Side. They put a destination fee in place well after I had made my reservation. When I showed up and mentioned it, they said it would not apply to any reservations made prior to its implementation. I suggest you question it upon arrival.

Agree. Also, this is a reason to save into folders the original email reservation confirmations. Provides proof that the fee didn't exist when the reservation was made. While Essex House is technically on the list for exec lounge closed on weekend/1,000 points, all FT reports are that the exec lounge is open on the weekends.

Cheers.

TrojanHorse Mar 28, 2018 5:03 am

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider (Post 29573974)
I would protest it. You should have your original email without it.

I pulled up Marriott.com and did a dummy reservation for this property. Marriott.com says: "Please note - USD 25 daily destination fee added to room rate includes USD 25 food and beverage credit, enhanced Internet and more."

The "daily destination fee" is not defined in the rate information nor anywhere on the website. For example what is included as "more" is not defined nor listed.

Resort fees are bad enough, but charging a "destination fee" for "enhanced internet" when gold and platinum elites already receive complimentary "enhanced internet" is outrageous.

Three questions here:

First on the daily destination fee, I did see that banner that you listed above about the destination fee. It definitely applied to my 4 night award booking. Question: it is a daily fee but do I only get "one" $25 food and beverage credit? As a gold I should get enhanced internet so I'm also curious as to what "more" entails? Does it entail use of the gym which looks fairly nice via the pictures on the website.

Second: As stated above, I have the Manhattan Suite booked for four nights, the first night of my trip [which I still have not booked a room] does not have the MS available for points although it is available for purchase. Question: "IF" the MS becomes available that first night, do I just call to get it added as the 5th night free? [Yes I realize I'll pay the points premium for the suite]

Third: What is the closest subway stop to this property?

SCEflyer Mar 28, 2018 7:52 pm

In regard to subway stops, the “legacy”.BMT lines stop at 7th Avenue and 57th Street. You will find the 1 & 2 ex-IRT lines and the old IND A B & C lines at Columbus Circle. Both stops are an easy walk from the hotel. I recommend checking the Essex House webpage for more information.

Also, in regard to an earlier point, I do have the January ‘18 confirmation, and intend to have a candid conversation with the GM, if the FD doesn’t waIve the $25.00 daily fee. I could care less about the “benefits”.

hockeyinsider Mar 29, 2018 7:44 am

Originally Posted by SCEflyer (Post 29578798)

In regard to subway stops, the “legacy”.BMT lines stop at 7th Avenue and 57th Street. You will find the 1 & 2 ex-IRT lines and the old IND A B & C lines at Columbus Circle. Both stops are an easy walk from the hotel. I recommend checking the Essex House webpage for more information.

Also, in regard to an earlier point, I do have the January ‘18 confirmation, and intend to have a candid conversation with the GM, if the FD doesn’t waIve the $25.00 daily fee. I could care less about the “benefits”.

Good for you. At the very minimum, the property needs to clearly define what is included and provide something of value to gold and platinum elites since it is charging for the premium/enhanced wireless internet. For what it's worth, $25 is probably two drinks from the honor bar in the executive lounge.

TrojanHorse Mar 31, 2018 6:28 am

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider (Post 29580190)
Good for you. At the very minimum, the property needs to clearly define what is included and provide something of value to gold and platinum elites since it is charging for the premium/enhanced wireless internet. For what it's worth, $25 is probably two drinks from the honor bar in the executive lounge.

So I still don't know what this $25 per night gets me other than what I presume is one $25 F&B credit. I already get the wifi upgrade so I can't see that being called part of the deal [will state so at check in when I ask].. but there has to be something else????

Kacee Mar 31, 2018 9:47 am

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse (Post 29586944)
there has to be something else????

Why does there have to be something else? It's the same money grab numerous other properties are pulling in NYC and elsewhere. Just a way to raise rates without visibly raising the rate. Unless and until the FTC declares this practice unlawful, you will see it continue to spread.

Unfortunate that this property has chosen to follow this trend.

swintec Mar 31, 2018 9:58 am

So I still don't know what this $25 per night gets me other than what I presume is one $25 F&B credit. I already get the wifi upgrade so I can't see that being called part of the deal [will state so at check in when I ask].. but there has to be something else????

Seems the trend has been to reduce the fee a bit ($5 or so) for elites since wifi is already included in benefits. usually find out at checkout on the invoice.

michelin Mar 31, 2018 11:06 am

I believe at the Marriott East Side there was a dry cleaning credit and a few other items. I can't remember if it was daily or a one time, as it did not apply to my reservation. Perhaps a call to the property is in order.

TrojanHorse Mar 31, 2018 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by swintec (Post 29587416)
Seems the trend has been to reduce the fee a bit ($5 or so) for elites since wifi is already included in benefits. usually find out at checkout on the invoice.

I presume this is something that has to be requested or discussed at the FD during check in or soon thereafter.

swintec Mar 31, 2018 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse (Post 29587982)
I presume this is something that has to be requested or discussed at the FD during check in or soon thereafter.

When I stayed at a resort this past december it was already done for me and ive seen other mentions of it around FT as well. I would think if it is policy now they will just do it versus waiting for an elite to haggle with them.

transportprof Jun 22, 2018 11:34 am

I just booked a seven night travel package at the Essex House. The $25 daily destination fee was included in the booking, along with about $50 in taxes (I'm assuming city occupancy tax or something similar).

Any reports of downward adjustment in this gouging would be quite appreciated in the months ahead. My stay isn't until December.

SCEflyer Jun 22, 2018 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by transportprof (Post 29895232)
I just booked a seven night travel package at the Essex House. The $25 daily destination fee was included in the booking, along with about $50 in taxes (I'm assuming city occupancy tax or something similar).

Any reports of downward adjustment in this gouging would be quite appreciated in the months ahead. My stay isn't until December.

My wife and I stayed at the EH, for five nights over Memorial Day weekend on points. We booked the reservation on January 31, '18, and at that time there was no indication that the hotel would be tacking on the $25 daily fee. About a month before our arrival, I checked the reservation on the Marriott website, and saw a notice about a $25 fee. I elected not to address the matter at that point, but a few days before arrival I called the hotel asking about this charge, and learned that the fee has been added to all reservations made on or after February 1 ,'18. I was advised that since our booking was made prior to that date we would not be charged, and we weren't.

However, after staying at the hotel I concluded that while the imposition of these fees could be a simple matter of "gouging", as you suggest, there might be value for the payment. A case in point would be that the $14 charge for a glass of wine in the Executive Lounge, might be offset by the fee, with the $11 balance being credited to the cost of a second glass for your wife.

I have LT Plat status with MR, and found the lounge to be one of the best that I have visited in the US. The breakfast buffet offering is marvelous, and is the same offered to guests in the hotel's dining room. The only distinction is that a guest in the lounge is not able to order items not on the buffet, such as eggs cooked to order. We had our evening meal in the lounge on two of the five nights that we were at the hotel, and the offerings were what you might expect, i.e. an assortment of vegetables and cheeses, etc., plus a hot entree. One night the hot dish was roast turkey breast with mashed potatoes and gravy and on the second evening it was a lamb stew with egg noodles. While these dishes might not be gourmet items, on both occasions they were well prepared and solid comfort food.

Also, although our confirmation did state that we would be charged a nominal amount for taxes and fees, none of these items ever made it to our final bill.

I also neglected to mention previously, that in accordance with my request to the FD, The NY Times was delivered to our room every morning during our stay.

transportprof Jun 22, 2018 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by SCEflyer (Post 29896079)

However, after staying at the hotel I concluded that while the imposition of these fees could be a simple matter of "gouging", as you suggest, there might be value for the payment. A case in point would be that the $14 charge for a glass of wine in the Executive Lounge, might be offset by the fee, with the $11 balance being credited to the cost of a second glass for your wife.

My understanding is that the $25 daily destination fee generates a once per stay $25 bar credit. That will leave $150 in gouging, as far as I can tell. I'm already Gold, which will map into Platinum something or other in August, and that should have covered the enhanced wifi. I can't see anything else of value that is provided in return for the destination fee.

But I'd be happy to be proved wrong.

SCEflyer Jun 22, 2018 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by transportprof (Post 29896641)
My understanding is that the $25 daily destination fee generates a once per stay $25 bar credit.

If that proves to be the case, it would bring new meaning to your use of "gouging".

Also, as a Gold aren't you already entitled to the enhanced internet service, not that it would really matter since it would also be covered by the fee?

Perhaps someone who has had to deal with the first issue could weigh in on their experience.

TrojanHorse Jun 23, 2018 5:42 am

I'll be here in July for a week
I will update this thread on the situation
In addiition, I will likely fight it [to little or no avail most likley] just on principle.

hockeyinsider Jun 23, 2018 6:02 am

Considering New York's aggressive attorney general office, someone should consider filing a complaint against hotels charging a fee for internet when internet is advertised as complimentary.

Kacee Jun 23, 2018 10:04 am

Most of the full service SPG and Marriott properties in NYC are now charging destination fees. Ren Midtown still an exception.

VisaW Jun 24, 2018 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider (Post 29897567)
Considering New York's aggressive attorney general office, someone should consider filing a complaint against hotels charging a fee for internet when internet is advertised as complimentary.

This is actually a really smart idea and is the kind of thing the AG would love some press around. Or Chuck Schumer, though it's less of an "everyday American" issue, so maybe not.

dcchi Jul 21, 2018 5:52 pm

Can someone update what the $25 credit can be used for? For example, is it available for the lounge alcoholic beverages (or does it need to be from a specific bar or such)? We will be there for one night next weekend and any experiences would be appreciated. Thanks.

TV guy Jul 26, 2018 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by dcchi (Post 29999222)
Can someone update what the $25 credit can be used for? For example, is it available for the lounge alcoholic beverages (or does it need to be from a specific bar or such)? We will be there for one night next weekend and any experiences would be appreciated. Thanks.

My experience a few weeks ago was that no one seems to really know what's included. I asked the concierge, and an FD manager and neither could tell me everything that was included. One thing they were sure about is that it doesn't accumulate. It's $25/day use it or lose it.

They ended up removing the charge as a "one-time" gesture.

Also don't expect any sort of upgrade. I'm Platinum and got a 6th floor room facing. Pretty noisy although I'm not sure if it was the street I was facing or the lack of soundproofing in the (historical) hotel. I stayed in mid-town a few weeks before (at a Residence Inn) this stay though and didn't have any problems with noise (it was also a much higher floor).

swintec Jul 26, 2018 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by TV guy (Post 30017192)
Also don't expect any sort of upgrade. I'm Platinum.

as always that will be YMMV. the two times I have stayed at this hotel on points, base room, I was given an upgrade. first time to a central park view and the second time to a family suite.

Kacee Jul 26, 2018 10:55 pm

It's $25/day use it or lose it.

$25/day is not a bad . . . certainly better than what most properties give you in exchange for these execrable fees.

Also don't expect any sort of upgrade.

I've gotten nice upgrades here. Much depends on the agent who checks you in.

hockeyinsider Jul 27, 2018 4:58 am

Also don't expect any sort of upgrade. I'm Platinum and got a 6th floor room facing. Pretty noisy although I'm not sure if it was the street I was facing or the lack of soundproofing in the (historical) hotel. I stayed in mid-town a few weeks before (at a Residence Inn) this stay though and didn't have any problems with noise (it was also a much higher floor).

I was told, on average, they have 75 platinums per night. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like the new post-August 18 program will actually differentiate or prioritize upgrades between the different statuses of platinum premier ambassador, platinum premier and platinum.

Old Hickory Jul 27, 2018 8:48 am

My experience a few weeks ago was that no one seems to really know what's included. I asked the concierge, and an FD manager and neither could tell me everything that was included. One thing they were sure about is that it doesn't accumulate. It's $25/day use it or lose it.

Sorry but I'm still confused. Is the Essex House treating the $25 Destination Fee (per day) as a daily food and beverage credit as it appears some are saying?

SkiAdcock Jul 27, 2018 11:48 am

Originally Posted by Old Hickory (Post 30018890)
Sorry but I'm still confused. Is the Essex House treating the $25 Destination Fee (per day) as a daily food and beverage credit as it appears some are saying?

Call the property & ask, although it sounds like there's some confusion at the property level as well!

dcchi Jul 27, 2018 2:36 pm

I had asked about what the $25 could be used for, but ultimately decided to go with a different hotel (Midtown Ren) because the rate was right and the location was perfect for our needs. That being said, I've stayed at the Essex probably about 10 times over the past few years, and have never had a "good view" room; it's always been a view of the space between the hotel and the next building. However, the location (at Central Park South directly across from Central Park) is nice if you'd spend time nearby, and the exec lounge is the best in the US (at least among those I've been to) in terms of the spread available.

transportprof Jul 27, 2018 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock (Post 30019630)
Call the property & ask, although it sounds like there's some confusion at the property level as well!

Does it strike anyone else as odd that the Essex House cannot provide a straight answer on what the $25 daily destination fee is good for?

If nobody posts the answer in 2018, I promise to fill that gap based on firsthand experience at year's end.

Chewie Jul 27, 2018 4:36 pm

It’s Marriott’s version of a carry-on luggage fee:

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel...-a8082546.html

hockeyinsider Jul 28, 2018 5:32 am

Originally Posted by transportprof (Post 30020304)
Does it strike anyone else as odd that the Essex House cannot provide a straight answer on what the $25 daily destination fee is good for?

If nobody posts the answer in 2018, I promise to fill that gap based on firsthand experience at year's end.

Time to contact the state attorney general's consumer protection division.

https://ag.ny.gov/consumer-frauds/Fi...umer-Complaint

scubadu Jul 28, 2018 6:44 am

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider (Post 30021589)
Time to contact the state attorney general's consumer protection division.

https://ag.ny.gov/consumer-frauds/Fi...umer-Complaint

I know this is probably crazy talk... but you know... another option would be if the terms and conditions of the property don't meet your needs you could do something really crazy like don't stay there... :eek:

Regards

hockeyinsider Jul 28, 2018 6:50 am

Originally Posted by scubadu (Post 30021704)
I know this is probably crazy talk... but you know... another option would be if the terms and conditions of the property don't meet your needs you could do something really crazy like don't stay there... :eek:

Regards

This is precisely the attitude that allows properties to charge fees and not provide amenities or services. This property is charging a $25 fee and can't say what it covers nor is it fully disclosed. Presumably, it includes amenities and services (like internet access) that are supposed to be complimentary.

scubadu Jul 28, 2018 9:19 am

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider (Post 30021718)
This is precisely the attitude that allows properties to charge fees and not provide amenities or services. This property is charging a $25 fee and can't say what it covers nor is it fully disclosed. Presumably, it includes amenities and services (like internet access) that are supposed to be complimentary.

That "attitude" if exhibited by enough aggregate customers who actually materially care about this fee, as opposed to a handful of FTer's who endlessly pick apart ever little nuance of everything, when executed in a capitalistic, market driven economy particularly in a city such as NYC which has countless choices (you are hardly trapped into staying there) will cause the property to lose business. If that becomes material, you can bet they will change course.

You're welcome to question my "attitude" if you desire, but in my years on FT I've made the observation that those who tend to "vote with their wallet" often seem happier with their travel outcomes than those whose first inclination is "contact the attorney general" because they are blinded by loyalty programs and act as if they are forced to stay in a property that doesn't suit there needs.

But hey, knock yourself out, please keep us posted on the the specific outcome and resolution. I'm sure the $25 destination fee at the JW Marriott Essex House facing Central Park in Manhattan will be very high on the New York Attorney General's "to do" list.

Regards

Kacee Jul 28, 2018 9:54 am

Originally Posted by scubadu (Post 30022066)
I'm sure the $25 destination fee at the JW Marriott Essex House facing Central Park in Manhattan will be very high on the New York Attorney General's "to do" list.

Actually, I'm surprised no AGs have taken a serious run at this practice yet. It is a deceptive practice, and challenging the hotels could generate good "pro-consumer" publicity for an attention-seeking AG (which most of them are).

dayone Jul 28, 2018 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 30022154)
It is a deceptive practice, and challenging the hotels could generate good "pro-consumer" publicity for an attention-seeking AG (which most of them are).

The current New York Attorney General is a career prosecutor and about as far from "attention-seeking" as she could be.

Kacee Jul 28, 2018 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by dayone (Post 30022664)
The current New York Attorney General is a career prosecutor and about as far from "attention-seeking" as she could be.

Well there are 49 more of them out there :)

scubadu Jul 29, 2018 8:26 am

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 30022154)
Actually, I'm surprised no AGs have taken a serious run at this practice yet. It is a deceptive practice, and challenging the hotels could generate good "pro-consumer" publicity for an attention-seeking AG (which most of them are).

Your surprised and yet... they haven't taken it seriously. Why do you suppose that is? Is it possible that FTers might perhaps have a moderately inflated sense of the importance of this particular issue in the grand scheme of things? I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that the mass of mainstream America isn't going to get too worked up and excited about the problem of travelers that can afford to stay at the JW Marriott Essex House, facing Central Park in Manhattan, getting dinged with a $25 "destination fee." I'm really not sure how much pro-consumer "publicity" an AG is going to squeeze out of that one.

It people on FT were not so blinded by loyalty programs they would simply look at the total cost of a room and make their decision from there. There are plenty of hotels in NYC (and the world) that do not add a fee like this. If this matters deeply to someone then give your business to those other properties. That is how a free market is supposed to work! It's utterly perplexing how that is such a difficult concept for so many people on FT to grasp, even people who in the course of their professional lives practice the concept day in and day out, but in regards to travel someone have a completely different mindset.

Regards

C17PSGR Jul 29, 2018 8:50 am

Originally Posted by scubadu (Post 30024538)
It people on FT were not so blinded by loyalty programs they would simply look at the total cost of a room and make their decision from there. There are plenty of hotels in NYC (and the world) that do not add a fee like this. If this matters deeply to someone then give your business to those other properties. That is how a free market is supposed to work! It's utterly perplexing how that is such a difficult concept for so many people on FT to grasp, even people who in the course of their professional lives practice the concept day in and day out, but in regards to travel someone have a completely different mindset.

Regards

I think of it slightly differently ... while I get the loyalty program blinding issue ... I think this is a bigger problem to the family who travels to NYC who don't regularly travel so they don't realize the hotel has tapped on an extra $25 a day from the published rate. Of course, this is the JW on Central Park but the same stupid fee applies to a number of lower level properties in NYC, and even in places like Spokane. (Spokane is OK but just don't get the destination amenity fee)

Its legally defensible since its fully disclosed at the end but probably missed by most non-FTers.

Kacee Jul 29, 2018 10:18 am

Originally Posted by scubadu (Post 30024538)
Your surprised and yet... they haven't taken it seriously. Why do you suppose that is? Is it possible that FTers might perhaps have a moderately inflated sense of the importance of this particular issue in the grand scheme of things?

No, I really don't think that's it. As consumer issues go, this is a substantial one. In the air travel arena, DOT adopted a rule which expressly forbids, as a deceptive practice, airlines from doing exactly what the hotels do with resort fees.

Not sure why you're being so obnoxious about this.

Old Hickory Jul 30, 2018 10:59 am

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock (Post 30019630)

I will but I'm not going until mid-November so I'll wait until then as the answer may change a few times before our arrival. :-)

mplflyer Sep 17, 2018 2:36 pm

Recent stay and resort fee.

We just completed a 5 day award stay. I am platinum and when I received my pre-stay email, I requested a park view and a high floor if possible. We arrived on a red eye and checked in at 8:30 am and were given a “park view” on the third floor. It was the best available at the time, and we were given the option to check our bags and wait for a better room. We decided to take it and really appreciated just getting into a room that early. We were able to get breakfast at the lounge and then have a nap, so combined with late check out was really like another full day at the hotel.

Regarding the “destination fee”, they are now VERY clear on what it covers and give you a card that clearly itemizes the benefits and that they are “daily”. I was surprised how practical and usable the benefits were. We used the $25 daily food and bev credit for room service for morning coffee ( nice to not have to get dressed to get lounge coffee first thing). There was also a $30 daily laundry credit that we used most days as the weather was incredibly humid/sticky. I think this is the first time I feel like I have actually used the “benefits” include in a resort/destination fee.