FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   JW Marriott Essex House, New York City (Manhattan) [Master Thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1489552-jw-marriott-essex-house-new-york-city-manhattan-master-thread.html)

jrsinpdx Oct 9, 2014 8:49 am

I had a points stay here on a Sunday night at the start of a recent trip. I had contacted the hotel prior to arrival about an upgrade to a "Park View" room and when my pre-arrival email came and offered me several paid upgrade options I was hopeful my request would be granted. On arrival I was told no upgrade of any kind was available. I questioned this as many Suite/View rooms were still available via the website. Was told hotel was full and there was nothing they could do for me. If evening/morning lobby traffic and CL crowd is any indication, I believe hotel was far from full.

Location is very good. Staff was courteous. Breakfast selections were good. Request for late check-out (2 PM) was granted without hesitation.

FYI; TownCar from JFK to hotel was $85.00 and return to JFK by Taxi was $65.00

VickiSoCal Oct 9, 2014 9:46 am

I really doubt any free upgrades will be available at any hotel in central Manhattan on New Year's Eve.

joshua362 Oct 9, 2014 9:51 am

Originally Posted by jrsinpdx (Post 23650485)
I had a points stay here on a Sunday night at the start of a recent trip. I had contacted the hotel prior to arrival about an upgrade to a "Park View" room and when my pre-arrival email came and offered me several paid upgrade options I was hopeful my request would be granted. On arrival I was told no upgrade of any kind was available. I questioned this as many Suite/View rooms were still available via the website. Was told hotel was full and there was nothing they could do for me. If evening/morning lobby traffic and CL crowd is any indication, I believe hotel was far from full.

Got to love the myth of the automatic Marriott upgrades and the standard Front Desk unabashed "we are full" excuse! At least its consistent!

jrsinpdx Oct 9, 2014 10:44 am

Originally Posted by joshua362 (Post 23650808)
Got to love the myth of the automatic Marriott upgrades and the standard Front Desk unabashed "we are full" excuse! At least its consistent!

+1 Heard it regularly during our trip. Easy to say and hard to disprove!

LarkSFO Oct 9, 2014 10:45 am

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock (Post 23650027)
Probably not. NYE is a busy time in NYC. Have fun!

Originally Posted by VickiSoCal (Post 23650777)
I really doubt any free upgrades will be available at any hotel in central Manhattan on New Year's Eve.

Originally Posted by LarkSFO (Post 23648778)
Not expecting much, especially on a points + cash upgrade rate, but it can't hurt to ask.

Agreed... That is why I booked the Junior Suite.

I am in contact with the hotel (actually, vice-versa), I'll report back here how it goes.

Even a Junior Suite in a better location / higher floor, with the second room nearby, would be quite alright with me! hint, hint. :)

I'll see if paid upgrades to the higher suite categories are an option as well.

LarkSFO Oct 14, 2014 6:31 pm

So far so good with the JW Marriott Essex House, and our stay is still 2 1/2 months away!

As I mentioned, the idea of a paid upgrade was something I was open to to further enhance our stay over NYE.

After being in contact with the hotel (or vice-versa), they made what I feel is an extremely generous offer to me. It is still a points plus cash stay. However, I am paying more per night for the cash portion in exchange for a very nice suite upgrade (from a junior suite, to a nicer suite).

Very proactively done by the hotel, much appreciated by me. They also extended some amenities (not an upgrade) to my second room, which is nice.

Additionally, was put in touch with the concierge who has assisted me with some planning.

So, as I said, so far so good and I am impressed with the hotel and staff at this point.

SkiAdcock Oct 14, 2014 8:17 pm

Cool! Hope it's a great stay!

Cheers.

njcommodore Oct 15, 2014 5:09 am

In both of my stays at this hotel I was offered a paid but not complementary upgrade. I was told I was upgraded to a nicer room but definitely not something with a view.

ohmark Oct 15, 2014 7:20 am

Originally Posted by jrsinpdx (Post 23650485)
On arrival I was told no upgrade of any kind was available. I questioned this as many Suite/View rooms were still available via the website. Was told hotel was full and there was nothing they could do for me. If evening/morning lobby traffic and CL crowd is any indication, I believe hotel was far from full.

Denying an upgrade is one thing. Lying to my face quite another.

radioinstl Jan 17, 2015 2:13 pm

Have a 45th Bday stay coming up at Exxex House and was looking for contact email for GM or other Sr staff there please.

sammyindc Jan 17, 2015 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by radioinstl (Post 24185390)
Have a 45th Bday stay coming up at Exxex House and was looking for contact email for GM or other Sr staff there please.

I have the email address for the Front Office Manager.

LarkSFO Jan 17, 2015 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by LarkSFO (Post 23678016)
So far so good with the JW Marriott Essex House, and our stay is still 2 1/2 months away!

As I mentioned, the idea of a paid upgrade was something I was open to to further enhance our stay over NYE.

After being in contact with the hotel (or vice-versa), they made what I feel is an extremely generous offer to me. It is still a points plus cash stay. However, I am paying more per night for the cash portion in exchange for a very nice suite upgrade (from a junior suite, to a nicer suite).

Very proactively done by the hotel, much appreciated by me. They also extended some amenities (not an upgrade) to my second room, which is nice.

Additionally, was put in touch with the concierge who has assisted me with some planning.

So, as I said, so far so good and I am impressed with the hotel and staff at this point.

We ended up having a wonderful visit to NYC, and five night stay at The Essex House.

Thanks to the front office management for being proactive, and working with me on our room options and costs.

We ended up paying 180,000 points + cash (large amount, but very fair) for what I believe was a Manhattan Suite. The only reason I am confused on this is that our suite had 1.5 bathrooms (thank goodness), while on the web site it does not describe Manhattan Suites as having 1.5 baths.

This may be a factor of our lower floor location (the suites only start at 12 or 14, so I think we were among the lowest floors of Manhattan Suites). The hotel tapers as you get higher, so our lower floor suite likely had one of the larger floor plans.

This came, of course, at the expense of any actual view. We were looking out over an alley, but at least the space between buildings was open enough that we did get natural light in to our room - both the living room and the separate bedroom.

http://www.marriott.com/hotel-info/n...p/home-page.mi

Our second room was also 180,000 points total plus $50.00 per night for a guest room with two doubles. I never actually went in to the second room, so cannot comment.

The suite was huge, especially by New York standards. large (10 x 14 feet?) entry way / foyer, then in to a very large living room. Queen sofa bed, two padded chairs, coffee table, and dining table with 4 chairs. Large buffet with the mini bar and a flat screen TV above. We ended up adding a roll-away bed as well, and it fit easily in to the space.

The 1/2 bath was off the foyer.

From the foyer, a closeable door in to a very large combination office with desk and chair / dressing room with two big closets. Also space for unpacking suitcases. From this room, you could enter the full bath or the bedroom.

Bedroom was also very big with a comfortable Marriott king size bed and large day bed / couch. Big flat screen TV.

Master Bathroom was very nice with a large soaking tub, great walk in shower, toilet, and single sink. Aromatherapy and Associates toiletries are quite nice.

The suite turned out to be a great space for sleeping / downtime, and just hanging out.

Arrival amenity / gift was very nice - fresh and dry fruit, nuts, rice krispie treat lollipops, chocolate chip cookies, fuji water, and a couple Brooklyn Brewery beers.

A highlight of our stay was the lounge. While we only stopped by for dinner one night (a nice Asian stir fry type meal, plus plenty of other items and an honor bar), we ate breakfast there every day (except New Years Day, when it was closed).

A great breakfast buffet, with hot items (eggs, bacon, sausage, oatmeal), plus cereals, yogurt, breads, fruits, smoked salmon, etc. Really a top notch set up, with quality food and coffee / tea, and great service as well.

We would get there early-ish, as if you waited until the last 30 - 45 minutes the line would be out the door with a wait for a table.

Turn down and housekeeping were well done.

Service was all around friendly and sincere.

Concierge helped us with a few items and recommendations / bookings.

Last - The location is among my favorite in the City. Right on Central Park, near Times Square (and New Years Eve ball drop, which we watched live!), Theater district, Rockefeller Center, MoMA, Christmas windows and shopping, and easy access to the subway, etc.

As I said earlier: A wonderful stay at a wonderful property in a perfect location.

SkiAdcock Jan 19, 2015 10:32 am

Thanks for the trip report. Much appreciated.

Essex House is now on the list of exec lounges closed on the weekend, with 1,000 points & no cont'l brekkie.

Cheers.

joshua362 Jan 19, 2015 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock (Post 24194763)
Thanks for the trip report. Much appreciated.

Essex House is now on the list of exec lounges closed on the weekend, with 1,000 points & no cont'l brekkie.

Cheers.

Wow, that now sucks. Last time I was there, I got the impression that the lounge breakfast was the basically the buffet from the hotel restaurant. That's gotta go for a minimum of $49 pp weekends, well worth giving the 1000 points out and seeing who'll bite...

SkiAdcock Jan 19, 2015 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by joshua362 (Post 24196741)
Wow, that now sucks. Last time I was there, I got the impression that the lounge breakfast was the basically the buffet from the hotel restaurant. That's gotta go for a minimum of $49 pp weekends, well worth giving the 1000 points out and seeing who'll bite...

I just received an email from someone at the property saying the exec lounge is open for breakfast on the weekends. I told them Marriott has their property listed on the exempt list so they might want to get that corrected, but that I would give a heads up here.

Cheers

SkiAdcock Jan 19, 2015 5:24 pm

Further update. Technically Essex house is on exempt list. They've chosen to keep the lounge open for breakfast on weekends for elites. Being on the list provides them an out if they ever change the policy in the future, but right now the practical policy Hans' t changed.

Cheers

jsucool76 Jan 19, 2015 9:37 pm

I'll be staying here on points march 23-28. 205,000 points for a 2 double room. I hate that so many hotels don't offer nice,but affordable rooms with 2 beds. I would gladly pay a bit more/use some more points for a suite with 2 beds, but the only other option at the hotel with 2 beds was $5,500 a night. No thanks.

I am very excited though. Hotel looks fantastic.

EXPLAT May 20, 2015 3:14 pm

Took my now wife on our first trip together to New York and to the Essex house. We are now returning for one night, many years later, on our way to Japan. Does anyone have contact email for GM or other Sr staff. We had a Central Park View suite last time and I'd like to recreate the experience. This time though, we'll be here with our 17 year old daughter as well. We're currently booked in a family suite but I don't believe it has any view.

Twickenham May 20, 2015 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by EXPLAT (Post 24845836)
Took my now wife on our first trip together to New York and to the Essex house. We are now returning for one night, many years later, on our way to Japan. Does anyone have contact email for GM or other Sr staff. We had a Central Park View suite last time and I'd like to recreate the experience. This time though, we'll be here with our 17 year old daughter as well. We're currently booked in a family suite but I don't believe it has any view.

PM sent with the contact info I have.

FlyingDoctorwu Aug 23, 2015 8:43 am

Does anyone have any experience with the family suites? I believe that there are three different options? Gonna take my family here for spring break I think so looking at something reasonable for a family of five (three kids under seven yes of age). How does the lounge access work? Technically for golds/plays its for the elite and 1 guest right?

Thanks
Fdw

bhatnasx Sep 21, 2015 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu (Post 25314392)
Does anyone have any experience with the family suites? I believe that there are three different options? Gonna take my family here for spring break I think so looking at something reasonable for a family of five (three kids under seven yes of age). How does the lounge access work? Technically for golds/plays its for the elite and 1 guest right?

Thanks
Fdw

The Family Suite is a king bed with a queen size sofabed, lower floors - no real views per se. The Manhattan Family is high floors with 1.5 bathrooms, but same king/queen sofabed.

I think that either option would be fine, but with 5, I'd go with the Manhattan Family suite since it has the extra half bathroom.

Lounge access is for the member + 1 guest, not sure how it works for kids - maybe call the hotel and ask.

angelbud Dec 28, 2015 3:03 pm

Looking forward to our first stay in NYC and Essex House - does anyone have the email for Guest Relations as I have a few questions and requests for my reservation...

jsucool76 Dec 28, 2015 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by angelbud (Post 25927071)
Looking forward to our first stay in NYC and Essex House - does anyone have the email for Guest Relations as I have a few questions and requests for my reservation...

I've got the GMs email, but i'm not sure if I'm allowed to post it in a big thread like this, if someone could advise. Idk what FTs rules are on that.

Meanwhile, Ill shoot it to you in a PM.

angelbud Dec 29, 2015 7:13 am

Originally Posted by jsucool76 (Post 25928617)
I've got the GMs email, but i'm not sure if I'm allowed to post it in a big thread like this, if someone could advise. Idk what FTs rules are on that.

Meanwhile, Ill shoot it to you in a PM.

Great - thank you!

bhatnasx Dec 29, 2015 8:59 am

The email address for the VIP Guest Relation manager at the Essex House is:

Per the post after this, removed, but PM me if you need that info.

I did check with her before posting here - she said it was ok to do so.

Please, of course, don't send her things like Platinum or Gold upgrade requests as she's really awesome & I don't want her to be overwhelmed with standard benefit type questions. Please only use her email for real guest relations needs.

SkiAdcock Dec 31, 2015 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by bhatnasx (Post 25930295)

Please, of course, don't send her things like Platinum or Gold upgrade requests as she's really awesome & I don't want her to be overwhelmed with standard benefit type questions. Please only use her email for real guest relations needs.

Too late. You know FTers - that's the type of requests they'll email her about :p :D

Seriously though - given FT is open to Google search/rest of world & you don't want her to get swamped w/ basic stuff, you might want to edit her contact info & say PM me for the contact info or put a space or so in the email address etc.

Cheers.

jlb3 Jan 20, 2016 7:41 am

I just completed a 1 night stay here on Sunday. What a fantastic property - a true category 9. As a Plat I was upgraded to a corner king room with an amazing Central Park view on the 35th floor -- I didn't want to leave! I originally booked a 1 queen room with a deeply discounted govt rate. I was not upgraded automatically -- I had to ask at check in. Early check in at 10am was allowed, and I got 1pm late check out with no issues.

The lounge was very nice. I know some people here preferred the old lounge, but this was my first time here so I have nothing to compare it to. Breakfast is the standard Marriott American breakfast. The Sunday evening offerings were chicken fajita, some wonderful cheese, olives, fruit, etc. My friend and I made a light dinner out of it.

Would def recommend this property to anyone vising NYC and wanting to stay in deluxe accommodations.

SkiAdcock Jan 20, 2016 8:18 am

Thanks for the update. Much appreciated.

Cheers.

dcchi Jan 24, 2016 4:12 pm

I don't have a super-special guest relations need, but have an upcoming 5-night stay in a couple of weeks, and was hoping to solidify a couple of pretty basic requests (mini fridge and decent room lighting, as I will be working a decent amount in the evenings). Anyone have the "normal" email contact for the Essex? I know I can call, but I don't have a great batting average with this type of request over the phone, and figure an email request would produce better results. Anyone can help me on this? Much appreciated.

swintec Apr 1, 2016 8:46 pm

We stayed here for 5 nights about 2 weeks ago. Nice location for sight seeing around NYC. We walked a lot.

I booked on points as a plat. premier. Just a standard room booked. Checking a day or so before with the mobile app I was pre-upgraded to a king central park view. I was asked at checkin if I wanted to pay for better rooms or a suite which I declined. Either way, can confirm, I did receive a one category upgrade when paying with points. Not sure if being a PP had anything to do with it.

Lounge was great. Saturday morning, while it was open was crazy packed (more or less standing room only). Not sure why as it was not that bad during the week.

Parking was $70 a night. I checked out on Saturay morning at noon (checkout time). When getting my car it took roughly half an hour due to the Trump rally. That isnt a big deal but I found a few days later that they tacked on another $70 for another day of parking because I apparently went over by that half hour despite checking out in time. Dealing with accounting at the hotel got it refunded without issue but its something to keep in mind.

dcchi Apr 1, 2016 10:54 pm

I stayed here for 5 nights about a month ago. Best Marriott portfolio hotel I've stayed in in the US. Lounge was fantastic and by far the best offerings of any domestic Marriott FS hotel I've been to. For example, dinner had entrees that could actually serve as a true dinner-replacement (as opposed to the typical finger food that is normally available). Breakfast had real scrambled eggs that actually tasted great, both bacon and sausage available each day, smoked salmon and a bunch of other stuff in an "on-ice" section, and a huge selection of plentiful pastries. Selection throughout entire day was broad and excellent overall.

CL door is located literally on one side of the guest room elevator bank. Accessible with a special CL card key (in addition to your regular room key). There is always a guard posted at the guest room elevator bank. There occasionally was an attendant at the CL entrance, but generally not.

SkyTeam777 Jul 13, 2016 5:48 pm

Does the hotel still have the sauna and steam room on the spa level? Does the executive lounge have free cocktails in the evening?

SkiAdcock Jul 14, 2016 7:12 am

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777 (Post 26913129)
Does the executive lounge have free cocktails in the evening?

Are there any US hotels that have free cocktails in the evening? My understanding is it's the norm for them to be paid in the US & free int'ly, so I doubt JWEH has free booze.

Cheers.

joshua362 Jul 14, 2016 8:41 am

Not here, $15 a shot for a gray goose last time I was there almost a year ago.

BTW, the CL breakfast is so good because it shares the buffet from the bar/restaurant off the lobby. I can't imagine what that costs non elite guests or how long it will last!

johnaalex Jul 15, 2016 10:36 am

Definitely NOT.

bhatnasx Jul 15, 2016 2:16 pm

Does the hotel still have the sauna and steam room on the spa level?

yes - its in the locker rooms on the 3rd floor - the spa is now the gym, but the steam rooms & saunas are still there.

jsucool76 Jul 16, 2016 7:46 am

Originally Posted by joshua362 (Post 26915492)

BTW, the CL breakfast is so good because it shares the buffet from the bar/restaurant off the lobby. I can't imagine what that costs non elite guests or how long it will last!

I think it's $45 for the breakfast buffet. Plus tax.

jr1202sr Jul 16, 2016 8:09 am

There is a Liquor/Wine store across the street if you go out the back entrance. Good selection and prices for the city.

keeton Jul 16, 2016 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock (Post 26915118)
Are there any US hotels that have free cocktails in the evening? My understanding is it's the norm for them to be paid in the US & free int'ly, so I doubt JWEH has free booze.

Cheers.

Originally Posted by johnaalex (Post 26920936)
Definitely NOT.

Actually, I have stayed at one - the JW in Grand Rapids. Two drink limit. Some other Marriott properties (Baltimore Harbor comes to mind and there have been others) will have "manager's receptions" on one night of the week in the concierge lounge with complimentary hooch. Free alcohol is not the norm in the US and the JWEH may follow the norm but there are (thankfully) other US properties that don't.

Lovethecabin Jul 18, 2016 9:24 am

Originally Posted by joshua362 (Post 26915492)

Yes, the breakfast buffet is exceptionally good. We ate there every morning but one during a recent week long stay. Even my husband, who detests buffets in all forms, was impressed with the quality and selection.