Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Autograph Collection Powerscourt in Wicklow, Ireland [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Autograph Collection Powerscourt in Wicklow, Ireland [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2015, 4:43 pm
Suspended

even with a printout of the reservation with the guests MR# listed, the guest would still have had to file his/her claim for lack of PAG before he/she checked out of the property which from reading his/her post I don't see was done.

I also hope this was a one off as I still intend to keep my reservation for June, but if not I'll post any conflicts noted.

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
1. If he had a printout of his reservation confirmation & it showed MR#, would that override them not having it in their system?

2. Would like to know as well.

3. Hope this overall bad experience was a one-off since the other reports have been good.

Cheers.
Old May 10, 2015, 11:26 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Platinum, AA EXP, UA Gold
Originally Posted by leeky
even with a printout of the reservation with the guests MR# listed, the guest would still have had to file his/her claim for lack of PAG before he/she checked out of the property which from reading his/her post I don't see was done.

I also hope this was a one off as I still intend to keep my reservation for June, but if not I'll post any conflicts noted.
So - after contacting Marriott reservations because they double charged the reservation - the manager contacted me and offered the 500 points in lieu PAG. They adjusted off the breakfast charge in the end, but not before making my husband wait for 20 minutes before even being allowed to sit down in an empty breakfast room because he was not on their list.

I had a paper copy of our reservation and my platinum card, but she didn't seem to care since it wasn't on the screen and she couldn't figure out how to add it. The whole thing was off putting.

It was really disappointing that the service was so bad - it really is a beautiful hotel in a beautiful area.
Old May 29, 2015, 10:34 am

Programs: Hyatt globalist, Alaska mvp gold, Marriott platinum, ihg diamond
Had a lovely 3 night stay here early May. Upgraded ($60) award nights to a mountain view suite, absolutely stunning views from the balcony. Had a view of Sugarloaf mt and the surrounding gardens. The suite was huge and very comfortable. The service was great, they would drive you into the local town or you could easily walk which we did several times. We loved this place and would highly recommend to experience rural Ireland. There was no coffeemaker in the room and none available but finally found free coffee near the restaurant.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 11:17 pm
Suspended

Spent a night here last month as part of my 10-night tour of Ireland.
Upgraded to a junior suite.
No PAG offered – told (with a straight face) by front desk that as an Autograph Collection property they are exempt from the PAG requirements for platinum members. That argument challenged, but (unfortunately) seems to be typical of Autograph Collection properties in Europe (as it happened at others).
The grounds are very nice.
Breakfast was acceptable, but nothing special.
Had dinner outside the hotel at Johnny Foxes - well worth the drive as the food was excellent. Highly recommended.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 6:11 am

Programs: LH HON, Marriott Platinum, ...
Originally Posted by leeky
No PAG offered – told (with a straight face) by front desk that as an Autograph Collection property they are exempt from the PAG requirements for platinum members. That argument challenged, but (unfortunately) seems to be typical of Autograph Collection properties in Europe (as it happened at others).
Been to several autograph hotels across Europe and they all offered me a PAG...
Old Jul 8, 2015, 7:33 am
Suspended

and I've had directly opposite experiences just last month with the ACs in Wicklow, Lille & Rouen (and in the case of #1, they compensated me 10k points and in case #2 & 3, the equivalent of $100 in euros with both hotel #1 & 3 flatly stating that they are AC and do NOT participate in PAG (that is until Marriott CS "wised" them up)

Originally Posted by alfahund
Been to several autograph hotels across Europe and they all offered me a PAG...
Old Sep 8, 2015, 4:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MR Platinum, Aer Lingus GC, BA Bronze, Turkish Classic Plus
Any FTers stayed here recently? Booked a weekend at the end of the month for my birthday and reviews on TripAdvisor are seriously mixed.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 8:02 pm
Suspended

I posted on my July stay here.

What do you want to know - PM me.

Originally Posted by ellie_nz
Any FTers stayed here recently? Booked a weekend at the end of the month for my birthday and reviews on TripAdvisor are seriously mixed.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 4:08 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Silver, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Any one stay here recently? No new posts in almost two years, so just looking for any updates. I'm looking to book a stay here, and wondering how they are with elite recognition. I'm now Marriott Plat (by way of SPG Plat) and curious to know if they offer free breakfast (being an autograph property) and also how they are with room upgrades.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 6:42 am

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
I just completed a four night stay here. Note the Powerscourt is technically a resort and so theoretically exempt from most benefits, though IME they did not try to play that card.

I booked two nights in a standard room on points (only room type available) followed by two nights in a 1 BR mountain view suite on cash, as two separate reservations. A week or two before my stay, the reservations had been combined and the points room upgraded to the suite.

At check in, we were offered a choice between points or chocolates as the PAG. I selected the chocolates, obviously There was also a selection of macarons in the room when we arrived, and a personalized welcome card. (As a side note, I tend to get more of those that were left for someone else who then canceled or switched rooms, but this one had my name on it.) We were given a room on the 6th floor, which has smaller balconies with fantastic views. Floors 2 and 3 appear to have larger balconies (with the 2nd floor covered by the 3rd). Note the building entrance is on 4.

We were also given breakfast as an elite benefit. I hadn't booked it as part of the rate, because breakfast inclusive rates were basically the price of breakfast (€25 x2) more expensive than the regular rates. Breakfast is a respectable buffet (full Irish, pancake machine, fruits, pastries, etc) as well as eggs made to order (omelettes, benedict, etc).

The room was great, lots of storage and well appointed, though wearing slightly around the edges. There is no coffee maker, but there is the EU standard hot water kettle and a selection of tea and instant coffee. (Coffee and tea are also offered outside of the breakfast restaurant.) The lighting controls are a bit overly complicated. Good soaking tub and separate shower.

The spa is excellent, with good wet areas. Upstairs is only accessible with a treatment, downstairs (including the pool and gym) is open to hotel guests regardless. The upstairs serenity room was supposedly a quiet area, but every time I went in there were small groups chatting audibly. The gym is good, average to above average for this sort of EU property.

Staff were generally excellent, though the restaurants and bars always seemed to be understaffed by 1 or 2 people, except at breakfast.

There is some minor construction going on (they are building an ampitheater), but nothing bothersome.

I'd definitely go back.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 9:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the update. Much appreciated.

Cheers.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 10:34 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Silver, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by bennos
I just completed a four night stay here. Note the Powerscourt is technically a resort and so theoretically exempt from most benefits, though IME they did not try to play that card.

I'd definitely go back.
Great info. Thank you.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 5:22 pm

Programs: Marriott Platium. Hyatt Globlist. United Member. WN A-list w/CP. Frontier Elite 100K.
Just had a solid stay--Nice breakfast buffet (no charge for platinum). Afternoon Tea did not do cost 39 Euros. I ate couple of times in the pub good food -- cost more then non-hotel pubs but good place to eat. Sika restaurant ok nothing special food was too rich. I ate at 1909 Restaurant & Wine Bar in Dalkey (Great). Ate at The Wicklow Heather also great in Wicklow. Ate at The Hungry Monk (Great place) Greystones this is about 15 - 20 minutes from hotel. Also ate at Campagne (one star Michelin place) food was too rich for my liking. Gardens where very nice. Only instant coffee in coffee. Coffee station outside of sika Restaurant. Nice large rooms. If you write staff a note and give to their manager about what a great job they do they get a 20 Euro bonus.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 6:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the update & tips on places to eat.

Cheers.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 12:20 am

Programs: EI AerClub Concierge, EK Gold, BA Gold, BD Gold (Retired), HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Any post-merger stay experiences? (Have a pre-Christmas weekend booked).

Last edited by Dambus; Oct 13, 2018 at 1:33 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.