Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Savannah Riverfront, GA [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Savannah Riverfront, GA [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2011, 1:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: Duke of Bombay, Delta Ham Sandwich tm, Delta's Glitch
Originally Posted by ncgator
looking at staying at this property this summer for a long weekend. This thread is a little dated so hoping for some more recent activity/input.

Do they offer any benefits on the weekends since the lounge is closed (breakfast coupon?)

any recent renovations on rooms or artrium? I haven't looked inside this property in over 5 years.

Thanks in adavance.
It is your typical not so newish converted Full Service. Has more of an Embassy Suites design. Location is good. I think your chances for upgrade will depend on what they have going on... I have been there when it is empty and when it is really full...
Old May 26, 2011, 1:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Have you been there on a weekend? Is the lounge open? If not, do they offer brekkie coupons? If closed, is it key accessible for sodas? Is there an i-net terminal in the lounge? If you know, please post & I'll update the exec lounge stickey thread.

Cheers.
Old May 26, 2011, 2:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: Duke of Bombay, Delta Ham Sandwich tm, Delta's Glitch
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Have you been there on a weekend? Is the lounge open? If not, do they offer brekkie coupons? If closed, is it key accessible for sodas? Is there an i-net terminal in the lounge? If you know, please post & I'll update the exec lounge stickey thread.

Cheers.
Sorry, I have not, but one of my guys did recently... i will ask him...
Old May 26, 2011, 4:09 pm

Programs: AA , Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platnium,Hyatt Diamond
I was there on the weekend but over a year ago ...lounge was closed but the did give breakfast...might have changed since then ..is you get upgraded to a balcony room the view is nice.
Old May 26, 2011, 5:03 pm

Programs: IHG PC - Plat, HHonors - Gold, Marriott - Plat
Originally Posted by Thomas Hudson
It is your typical not so newish converted Full Service. Has more of an Embassy Suites design. Location is good. I think your chances for upgrade will depend on what they have going on... I have been there when it is empty and when it is really full...
thanks, hopefully additional feed back will confirm weekend breakfast.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 2:01 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, USAirways Gold
Just returned from a Friday-Sunday stay this past weekend and I thought I'd post my experiences.

Check-In: Very fast, with a helpful, energetic young woman. The staff overall seemed younger, more interested in customer service, and happy to be there than other Marriotts I've been to recently. I was upgraded as a Gold to a river view room, although they didn't have one available with a balcony. I didn't care, although they were willing to give me a balcony room once it was made up. No concierge lounge on weekends, and I didn't expect, nor was I offered, breakfast as a Gold. I preferred to eat in town anyways.

Room: Decor in the hotel is dated, but the place is very clean. The room was spacious, with a chair, desk, flat screen TV - all standard Marriott. The windows looked out onto the river, with great views. Bathroom was much bigger than usual Marriotts. (Room 732)

Hotel itself: Has an indoor pool (didn't use it). Lots of conference space (didn't use it either!). Indoor parking is available. Concierge service in the lobby, along with a decent looking bar and restaraunt - can't comment on the food or drinks though. Concierge service was hit or miss. "Dan" was great and very helpful, while an older woman who was at the desk the day before was not, and seemed intent only on pushing trolley tours. The hotel is located about two blocks south of the touristy River street. It's nice because there is a walkway along the river to get you there, but you're not subject to the noise of the crowds. We found it was about 5 minutes from our room to the center of the bars and shops on River street.

There was a business meeting going on, otherwise the hotel seemed very empty. Maybe only a few rooms on our floor were occupied. Two points to note - the bathroom walls were thin - turn on the water or TV if you're staying with someone. The walls weren't, but the door seemed thin as well - noises in the hallway seemed loud, but I never heard a peep from the room next door, which was occupied.

If you're sensitive to sounds, book a room facing away from the river. Ships transiting from the port will sound their fog horn as they round a bend in the river, even at night. We were startled awake at 5am by this - the hotel can't do anything about it, and these are not horns that sound-proofing would minimize. We had a good laugh at it, and went back to bed.

Employees were great. Everyone said hello and asked if we needed anything - and it didn't seem forced. I think they really meant it. The concierge named Dan, as I mentioned was great as well, offering good advice on tours, places to eat, and general local knowledge.

Cabs were available in front of the hotel, and the historic district was easily walkable. We would definitely return.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 9:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the update! Much appreciated.

Cheers.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 7:54 am

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by DCA13
Just returned from a Friday-Sunday stay this past weekend and I thought I'd post my experiences.
Thanks for the review. Sounds sort of, um, mediocre. Maybe the two Autographs, not on the scene when this thread was started, are alternatives worth considering.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 9:50 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, USAirways Gold
Re: Autograph Collections:
The Bohemian is on the opposite side of River Street as this hotel - it's got more noise from traffic and such, but is definitely a "nicer" hotel in the sense that it's got more up-to-date decor. It's in the heart of the historic district, so even though the Waterfront is only a 5 minute walk, the Bohemian is even closer.

The Mansion at Forsyth Park is at the end of the historic district in a nice neighborhood. It's probably the best of the Marriott options in Savannah, but priced accordingly. It has a nice bar/cafe area attached. To walk to the bulk of the attractions, you're probably looking at closer to 15 - 30 minutes, depending on where you're going.

For us, the price was right for the Waterfront. It looks like it was decorated in the 80s, but it's clean and the service was great. We spent little time in the hotel as it was, so we didn't care what kind of carpeting they used.

Of course, your mileage may vary!
Old May 13, 2014, 7:14 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob; UA 1K; BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); HH Dia; JX Insighter
Bumping this to the top. I'll be staying at the property for a night over the Memorial Day weekend. Any recent stays?
Old May 13, 2014, 4:21 pm

Programs: DL Gold; Bonvoy Gold; HHonors Diamond; Avis Preferred, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by CLEguy
Bumping this to the top. I'll be staying at the property for a night over the Memorial Day weekend. Any recent stays?
Stayed there twice last year. I'd say the PP's are pretty accurate with their descriptions. We enjoyed our stay.
Old May 13, 2014, 6:45 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CLEguy
It's an ok property. Pretty old. I've stayed there 3 times in the past year and got an upgrade to a suite each time.

If you are flexible, I'd recommend staying at the Bohemian or Mansion on Forsyth Park.
Old May 13, 2014, 7:02 pm

Programs: Platinum Card Rewards
Surprised no one has mentioned http://savannah.andaz.hyatt.com/en/hotel/home.html
We stayed here and enjoyed the suite we had. Of course everyone is different but give it a look.
Location. 2 blocks from riverfront but better location for prime restaurants.
Old May 13, 2014, 7:09 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Music4u
Surprised no one has mentioned http://savannah.andaz.hyatt.com/en/hotel/home.html
We stayed here and enjoyed the suite we had. Of course everyone is different but give it a look.
Location. 2 blocks from riverfront but better location for prime restaurants.
... Maybe because this is the Marriott forum and the Andaz is a Hyatt property ...
Old May 13, 2014, 7:20 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Recently stayed at the Springhill Suites in Savannah. Also had reservations at Marriott Riverfront, but opt'ed for the Springhill Suites - which is a much better location.

The Marriott is at the end of town and in my view it is too far away if you want to walk around town and go to restaurants and bars. Springhill Suites is the best Marriott property for location. You can take the 100X bus from the airport ($1.50) and you arrive non-stop 1.5 blocks from the Springhill Suites.

I also stayed at the Mansion on Forsyth Park for one night as well. It is a small hotel - 125 rooms (but new construction back in 2005). The lounge is open 7 days a week, and provides free wine/beer. The only drawback is the remote location from the center of town, but the hotel has a shuttle to its sister hotel, the Bohemian, and the free downtown circulating DOT shuttle stops at the side of the hotel.

And I agree the Andaz is the best located big hotel. Regular Hyatt is next to the Bohemian, and is a good choice as well.

There is a Hampton Inn (there are two - the one on Bay street is best) and a Holiday Inn Express - both also good locations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.