Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Palacia del Carmen, Auto Collection, Santiago de Compostela, Spain [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Palacia del Carmen, Auto Collection, Santiago de Compostela, Spain [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2012, 12:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium

I'm starting this thread because we don't have any trip reports yet on the property & having a dedicated thread will make it come up easier in the search results. This is a Cat 3 property.

Here's a description of the property from their website.

"AC Palacio del Carmen Autograph Collection Hotel is located in the historic area of Santiago de Compostela, very close to the town center, the Santiago Cathedral, the University and the Plaza Obradoiro. AC Palacio del Carmen Autograph Collection hotel occupies a building that was once the Oblatas Convent and exudes an undeniable elegance. Our Santiago Hotel has a tailored services that attends to all your wishes and circumstances ensuring you a unique experience: free Wi-Fi internet connection in common areas, AC Bar, gardens, outdoor terrace, free minibar, and plasma TV. Our Turkish bath, sauna, fitness center and contemporary restaurant “El Camelio”provide a change to unwind after a day’s sightseeing. Furthermore this hotel in Santiago de Compostela helps our guests to plan a perfect social or business event in one of the full equipped rooms. The exquisite aesthetic appearance and the high quality facilities of AC Palacio del Carmen Hotel ensure a fabulous stay in Santiago de Compostela"

BTW - if someone has stayed at the property, please do a 'trip report'. Your fellow FTers would appreciate it.

Cheers.

Last edited by SkiAdcock; Jan 11, 2013 at 1:13 pm
Old Aug 22, 2013, 2:59 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeBanyan Contributor Badge

Programs: We love to Fly, Hotels and Discovery
AC Palacio del Carmen, Autograph Collection, Santiago de Compostela, Galicia, Spain

August 2013

We planned a small travel itiniery in Spain and Italy. Our first stop was Santiago de Compostela, the capital of Galicia in the Northwest of Spain. We arrived from Dublin by Aer Lingus. We tried the new pre-order meal option. There is a choice of Irish breakfast, chicken or beef salad. We both had the chicken salad. The process worked flawless and the salad was delicious. The cost was 7.50 Euro (ca. 10 USD) per person and included a hot drink, like coffee or tea. The flight was pleasant and eventless.

We had informed ourselves about public transport and decided to take the bus operated by Empresa Freire to Praza da Galicia (Plaza de Galicia). The journey took about 45 minutes. A single ticket costs 3 Euro (ca. 4 USD), a return ticket 5.10 Euro (ca. 6.80 USD) per person.

We had a map with us and thought the AC Palacio del Carmen, an Autograph Collection property, was easy to locate. It proofed a bit more difficult than thought. We asked locals for directions. They were helpful, but unfortunately spoke only Spanish. Mine is non existent. We finally found someone, who spoke English. She directed us correctly and within five minutes we arrived at the Palacio del Carmen.

It nestles in a residential area on the outskirts of Santiago's city center.

|| OUR STAY @ THE HOTEL AC PALACIO DEL CARMEN || AUTOGRAPH COLLECTION || SANTIAGO DE COMPOSTELA || GALICIA || SPAIN || August 2013 || SHEER MAGIC || by || UggBoy♥UggGirl || PHOTO || WORLD || TRAVEL ||, on Flickr

^ The entrance to the hotel

The hotel is located in a former 15th century convent. In the two original buildings are the reception and small lobby with an internet corner, the bar, fine dining restaurant and meeting rooms located. There is also a new wing with additional rooms. Besides meeting facilities there is also a beautiful fairly large garden, indoor swimming pool, spa and a very small fitness center with Technogym equipment.

The check in was pleasant and conducted in German. The receptionist Karel is from Prague and spoke fluent German. My better half and I have forgotten most of it, since we have been very rarely back to our home country and speak mostly English with each other since we live in Ireland for nearly fourteen years. We were promised a big bed and were very happy about our comfortable king.

|| OUR STAY @ THE HOTEL AC PALACIO DEL CARMEN || AUTOGRAPH COLLECTION || SANTIAGO DE COMPOSTELA || GALICIA || SPAIN || August 2013 || SHEER MAGIC || by || UggBoy♥UggGirl || PHOTO || WORLD || TRAVEL ||, on Flickr

^ Walkway to the rooms

The room was located in one of the original buildings.

Each floor is glassed in, airconditioned and a bridge leads to each room.

The entrance category room was simple, but elegant and comfortable.

^ Our Classic room with views over the garden || Front lawns

There were wooden floors and beams, the large bed, a luggage rack, medium sized TV, a large wardrobe and a writing desk. The colors were different shades of brown, beige and ocre. Our view was over the peaceful garden.

One night there was a wedding party and for a moment we feared we would be disturbed by the noise, but the soundproofing was good, so we heard nothing. The room's location guaranteed a restful sleep. It was really quiet.

The bath room was medium sized with a sink, Palacio del Carmen own branded amenities, a comfortable bath tub and shower combination, a bidet and toilet.

^ Comfortable bathtub and beautiful tiles

The bath tub was wide and not very high, making it easy to get in and out.

The mini bar contained orange and pineapple juice, Mondariz water, Nordic Mist, Coca Cola and Coca Cola Light and San Miguel beer (with and without alcohol). Prices were reasonable. The water cost 1.50 Euro, ca. 2 USD, the rest 2.50 Euro, ca. 3.35 USD.

TV channels were dominantely local. There was BBC World, RT and CNBC.

The air condition was easy to use. It kept up with the heat and worked fast and efficient.

The lightning was mellow, but added to the atmosphere.

24 hour room service was also available.

We went twice to the bar. There are nineteen dishes to choose from. A small selection is available during general opening hours, a larger between 13.30 hours and 15.30 hours and 21.00 hours to 23.00 hours.

We had refreshing sangria, chicken salad with cherry tomatoes and sherry vinaigrette, fresh tomato and tuna salad, Iberian ham in a bread roll with parmesan cheese and dried tomatoes and a seasonal fruit plate with green and watermelon, red grapes, kiwi and pineapple.

|| THE AC BAR & LOUNGE || HOTEL AC PALACIO DEL CARMEN || SANTIAGO DE COMPOSTELA || GALICIA || SPAIN || August 2013 || SHEER MAGIC || by || UggBoy♥UggGirl || PHOTO || WORLD || TRAVEL ||, on Flickr

^ Afternoon with Sangria in the AC Bar & Lounge, a beautiful and creative place to be, with creative drinks, good food, plus magazines and unusual art on the wall, here we visited several times during our stay

All was tasty, fresh and healthy.

Prices were reasonable again. We paid 29.60 Euro (ca. 39.30 USD) and 35.20 Euro (46.70 USD) respectively.

Breakfast was included in our rate. It was every day in the former chapel. The chapel can also be converted into a meeting room.

The room is beautiful with a large mosaic depicting the Archangel Gabriel visiting Mary to tell her she is going to give birth to Jesus.

The windows are high up, letting in the light in an unusual way. The plays between shadow and light are beautiful.

Tea, coffee, hot chocolate and juice are self service based. There are a Nespresso Coffee machine and three differently colored capsules (red, green and black) available. The colors indicate the strength of the coffee. Red is de-caffeinated, green normal and black strong. I had the last two and enjoyed them. They are smooth and have intense flavors as it is expected from Nespresso.

The buffet contains the continental breakfast, while egg dishes can be ordered a la carte and don't incur an additional charge. We tried the scrambled and baked eggs and French omelet.

Juices on offer were orange, pineapple, peach and raspberry.

The buffet is small, but has everything one could want beside fish. There are cold cuts, cheese, pastries, bread, Tortilla Espanola including condiments, jam, different types of cereal and much more.

All staff was warm, helpful and efficient.

The memories we took home are about a very different place. It's romantic, peaceful and tranquil. It can be as near to the action as you like, though. When you know your way around, you can reach the Cathedral and Old Town within ten minutes walk.

It's definitely on our return list. ^

Would we stay again here? YES! ^
Would we recommend this hotel to a friend? YES! ^
Old Aug 22, 2013, 2:59 am

Some more images we took during our stay at the AC Palacio del Carmen, Autograph Collection, Santiago de Compostela, Galicia, Spain:

^ The restaurant is located in it's own villa, which is connected to the hotel with an internal walkway too

^ Ample outdoor seating was provided by the AC Bar & Lounge

^ Beautiful collector items and art could be found throughout the hotel

^ The view from our Classic room on the second floor, absolutely gorgeous, the windows could be fully opened too

^ High quality own branded bathroom amenities incl. comb provided, the soap was golf ball shaped, it was so good, we took one home with us

Thank you, safe travels.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 3:49 am
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
suggest that BEFORE you start a new thread that you use the search function and determine if a thread already exists on this property (which it does)..............

that being said, THXs for the stay report..............I haven't stayed at this particular AC prop but for those I have stayed at was not at in other parts of Spain (mainly in Andalucia and Barcelona/Zaragoza) was not at all impressed................IMO more like a CY without a safety box..........

Originally Posted by uggboy
Some more images we took during our stay at the AC Palacio del Carmen, Autograph Collection, Santiago de Compostela, Galicia, Spain:

^ The restaurant is located in it's own villa, which is connected to the hotel with an internal walkway too

^ Ample outdoor seating was provided by the AC Bar & Lounge

^ Beautiful collector items and art could be found throughout the hotel

^ The view from our Classic room on the second floor, absolutely gorgeous, the windows could be fully opened too

^ High quality own branded bathroom amenities incl. comb provided, the soap was golf ball shaped, it was so good, we took one home with us

Thank you, safe travels.

Last edited by BKKLEE; Aug 22, 2013 at 3:54 am
Old Aug 22, 2013, 11:02 am

Programs: IHG Plat, Marriott Plat
Excellent review, uggboy! Thanks a lot.

I have never been there yet but have couple of upcoming reservations so it was very interesting to read your excellent post.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 11:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
uggboy, thanks for the detailed trip report & fabulous photos!

Cheers.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by FinnishFlash
Excellent review, uggboy! Thanks a lot.

I have never been there yet but have couple of upcoming reservations so it was very interesting to read your excellent post.
Thanks for your compliments. Enjoy your stay. ^
Old Aug 22, 2013, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
uggboy, thanks for the detailed trip report & fabulous photos!

Cheers.
My pleasure, cheers and safe travels. ^
Old Mar 30, 2018, 10:23 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Tit, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold, Carlson Gold, UA*S,
Bump. Anyone been here recently?
Old Mar 30, 2018, 11:59 am

Programs: Marriott TITANIUM, BWR Dia, IHG, Millemiglia Alitalia
I'll be there in mid May and I'll report it.
Confirmed free breakfast for Gold.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 3:05 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, United Silver, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Johnny Rocket
Bump. Anyone been here recently?
Well...we were here in 2016, so more recent than the previous review. We loved our stay. The location is walking distance from the cathedral and everything else in the tourist area (restaurants, shopping). Breakfast was free for Plats, but we paid a few euros to upgrade to the full buffet - it was excellent. The property itself was lovely. I hope GoldenItalianBoy or someone else can confirm that it's just as nice in 2018.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by ehallison
but we paid a few euros to upgrade to the full buffet - it was excellent. The property itself was lovely. I hope GoldenItalianBoy or someone else can confirm that it's just as nice in 2018.
thanks a lot, I hope so!
But how they technically can separate standard breakfast from "full buffet"? I never had this kind of experience (never mind because I always have standard breakfast, I can't eat eggs, sausages, beans or mushrooms or this stuff in the morning at all ).
Old Mar 31, 2018, 8:19 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, United Silver, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by GoldenItalianBoy
thanks a lot, I hope so!
But how they technically can separate standard breakfast from "full buffet"? I never had this kind of experience (never mind because I always have standard breakfast, I can't eat eggs, sausages, beans or mushrooms or this stuff in the morning at all ).
Well, they are only required to provide a "continental" breakfast for your gold benefit, and the included breakfast was very limited...something like bread and fruit. The upcharge allowed us access to the additional cold items (yogurt, cheese) as well as hot items.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by ehallison
Well, they are only required to provide a "continental" breakfast for your gold benefit, and the included breakfast was very limited...something like bread and fruit. The upcharge allowed us access to the additional cold items (yogurt, cheese) as well as hot items.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 1:36 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Starwood Gold
This is no longer an AC. "Just" an Autograph Collection.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.