Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Hotel Palacio Del Retiro, Autograph Collection - Madrid, Spain [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2012, 11:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium

I'm starting this thread because we don't have any trip reports yet on the property & having a dedicated thread will make it come up easier in the search results. This is a Cat 7 property.

Here's a description of the property from their website.

"Palatial home built in the beginning of the 20th century converted into a discreet 50 room luxury hotel. Unique building protected by National Heritage status where you can enjoy the pleasure of resting in one of the historic buildings of the centre of the city, located in front of the famous Retiro Park and close to the Paseo de Recoletos. It occupies the centre of the magical Art Triangle, Prado Museum, the Tyssen-Bornemisza Collection and Reina Sofa National Art Museum. Ideally located in the centre of the cultural, financial and business area. A full service business centre, counting with 5 meeting rooms of different sizes equipped with Internet WIFI System (wireless) makes of the AC Hotel Palacio del Retiro the ideal venue for holding meetings, conferences and celebrations."

BTW - if someone has stayed at the property, please do a 'trip report'. Your fellow FTers would appreciate it.

Cheers.

Last edited by SkiAdcock; Jan 11, 2013 at 1:14 pm
Old Feb 21, 2013, 11:50 am

Programs: DL 2MM, Marriott LTT, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Report on Palacio del Retiro, February 2013

My wife and I spent two nights at the AC Palacio Del Retiro this month. We were essentially passing through Madrid, having flown there from the US and taking a train to other locations in Spain. I am a Platinum Marriott Rewards member and was using MR points for the room.

SHORT VERSION: Very nice hotel, great location, friendly and efficient staff, superior accommodations. Probably would select it again for a trip to Madrid, although that is a toss-up with the AC Santo Mauro also in the same general vicinity.

PLATINUM BENEFITS OFFERED:
Welcome Gift and Recognition: The front desk clerk immediately acknowledged my Platinum status, thanking me for being a loyal Marriott customer. The welcome gift was a choice of 500 points or a drink in the hotel bar.

Room Upgrade: We were upgraded from a Standard Room to a Superior Room, which probably would qualify as a Junior Suite in most hotels. Our second floor room had a view of the park and included a seating area (sofa, desk, and television) separate from the bedroom (king bed, storage, another television) with a door that could be closed to completely differentiate the two areas. The room was large by US standards and gargantuan by European standards.

Breakfast: Continental breakfast is offered at no additional charge to Gold/Platinum members. This consisted of toast, a croissant, coffee/tea/chocolate, and wonderfully fresh orange juice. On the regular menu, the continental breakfast is 17 euro, which is ridiculously overpriced. A full breakfast buffet was offered at 29 euro. Some items, mostly fruit, breads, and yogurt, were set out in the breakfast room as is typically done for a buffet. However, cooked items (eggs, waffles, etc.) were ordered and prepared as needed, brought from the kitchen to the table. As a platinum member, we also had the option of having the full breakfast buffet at a reduced price of 17 euro.

Internet Service: Wireless Internet service was available at no cost in the lobby and public areas and for a fee of 13 euro per 24 hours in the room. Gold/platinum members had access to wireless Internet in their room without paying the fee. Note that when logging onto the system, it does state that the fee will be charged, but it never appeared on the bill, as was explained by the front desk clerk. (Rhetorical question: Why, in so many hotels, is it that any yokel walking in off the street can use free wi-fi in the lobby, but people actually paying for rooms have to pay to have it in the room?)

Concierge Lounge:
There isnt one.

GENERAL IMPRESSION OF THE PROPERTY:
The hotel location is fantastic, immediately across the street from Parque del Retiro, and one block from the Paseo de Prado, the street on which many museums are located, including the three major ones in the area (Prado, Reina Sofia, and Thyssen-Bornemisza). All are in walking distance from the hotel. The main train station is a long walk, about 1.5 miles, but a short and cheap taxi ride when dealing with a couple of suitcases. The Peurta de Alcala and Plaza de la Indepencia are a couple of blocks north of the hotel. Tourist sites, including Plaza Major, Peurta del Sol, and Palacio Real, are all relatively easy walks from the hotel.

The first impression of the hotel in not terribly impressive, as it appears to be another in the row of buildings on approach from Plaza de la Indepencia. Inside, the front desk and bar area are modern design, but the entrance into the hotel itself is where the old style becomes visible. A large marble staircase, ornate wood doors, solid thick walls, and interesting nooks with seating are spread throughout the hotel area. The overall impression is an old, stately property that has been upgraded to modernism without losing the old style.

The room was large, as noted above, and adequately comfortable for two people. The bathroom had two sinks, an interesting selection of bath amenities (e.g., a package with shaving cream, razor, and aftershave), and a combined tub/shower, which along with the toilet was separated from the sinks by a translucent glass wall. The walls, door, windows, and tall ceiling all reinforced the idea that this was a dignified property.

One of my frequent complaints in hotels is the inability to either open the window or turn on the air conditioning to cool the room down upon arrival and for sleeping. In this hotel room, opening a window proved to be a daunting process, but the HVAC system could easily be switched from heat to cool in order to accomplish the task at hand.

I have been told that AC Hotels had not charged for drinks in the minibar. With this property becoming an Autograph Collection, that is no longer true here. There was a cost sheet for drinks, with charges of a few euros for soft drinks and ten euros for a half-liter bottle of wine. There was, however, ample empty space in the minibar refrigerator to store one or two full bottles of wine, which can be purchased at one of several mercados in the area for a few euro each.

As is often the case with US-Europe flights arriving in the early morning (ours landed at 9:30 AM), our room was not ready when we arrived at the hotel. The clerk said it would take about one hour to have the room ready and we were welcome to either store or luggage and wander about for that time, or to wait in the restaurant/lounge area. We elected to wait. After a few minutes, the server from the restaurant brought us a bottle of water and glasses unsolicited. He thought we needed something, just sitting there. When the room was ready, the front desk clerk came to get us, walked us up to the room herself, and arranged for the bags to be brought up separately. That was a good idea, because three people and two suitcases would not fit in that elevator. The bags arrived within seconds after we were shown into the room. We found everyone at the hotel to be uniformly accommodating and friendly.

We did not try the restaurant, other than continental breakfast, so cannot say anything about the quality of food or service there. The hotel has an exercise room, but we did not have the opportunity to avail ourselves of it either due to the short stay and jet lag.

Two minor (VERY minor) annoyances:
1. When we left the room and flicked the master switch to turn off all the lights, the power to the thermostat was also turned off. On returning and turning the master switch back on, the thermostat did not restart correctly, but showed an error. Turning off the thermostat and turning it back on each time reset the error and it worked fine. It was annoying until I figured out the trick of resetting the thermostat.
2. (My wife wanted this one pointed out.) The first night, the beds were turned down while we were out, with the standard two milk chocolates left on the bed. We did not eat the chocolates that night and left them on the dresser when we went wandering about the next day. On returning, the turndown service had been back, but had placed the same two chocolates back on the pillow. We thought it just a bit chintzy to re-use the previous nights chocolates rather than getting new ones.

(I did say they were VERY minor.)
Old Feb 21, 2013, 12:11 pm
Original Poster

Again, thanks for the detailed trip report! Much appreciated!

Cheers.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 7:21 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, Hilton LT Diamond, AA LT Platinum
On this hotel`s website regarding transportation from the airport, it says:

Airport shuttle service, on request, fee: 105 EUR (one way)

It can`t actually be this amount, can it? If they left off a decimal point and it is 1.05 EUR, that amount sounds crazy too. I suppose they could have left off a '0' at the end so it is 10.50 EUR. But I`m just trying to make sense of this seemingly absurd number.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 7:20 pm

Programs: IHG Plat, Marriott Plat
Stayed here couple of nights about a month ago. I had informed them that I would like to get early check-in. Tried to check-in at noon- no room available-, and then again at 2 pm. That time I got a room after about 15 minutes waiting time. Not against the rules in any way but not perfect either.

No idea whether I got an upgrade or not. Room seemed pretty standard to me but I havent seen other rooms of this hotel so its hard to say. Asked for late checkout 3pm. Got a choice of 1pm for free or 3pm for 50% of next nights rate and chose 1 pm.

Wasnt offered any choice of welcome amenity at check-in attempt or at check-in. But next day around noon when I was waiting for receptionist to inform them they actually came to me and asked whether I want points or snack because they had forgotten the day before. I tried to invoke the guarantee but they didnt understand me at all. Not sure whether I would have been entitled to the guarantee anyways because they did ask couple of minutes or seconds before I invoked it.

Instead of paying the compensation, they promised 500 extra points which they never delivered.

My stay was one day on points and one paid night but prepaid thru hotels.com. I did pay for the breakfast at the hotel to get the whole buffet but didnt get any points for that.

I sent afterwards an e-mail to the hotel to ask why they didnt know anything about the welcome gift guarantee and why I didnt get points for breakfast payment. They answered with somewhat lengthy e-mail without answer to either of these questions. But they did tell me why they didnt ever post the extra 500 points. Reason: Because my stays were without physically leaving the hotel. Don't really know what they meant by that.

I think I will stay elsewhere next time.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 11:33 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the update. Now you get to contact MRCS to get the points that should have posted for the breakfast charge - also tell them you want the additional 500 points that was promised on top of the 500 points Plat arrival gift. If they balk, tell them that you shouldn't have to take time from your day to chase down points & your time is worth something.

Cheers.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 7:25 pm

Programs: AA-LT Gold 1.2MM ,DL, Marriott LT TITANIUM; HH Gold, AMEX PLT
WE are thinking of staying here next year. Is there a lounge?
Right now the website is saying that I cannot stay on points, but I will wait to book since there is plenty of time.
How many points per night?
Thanks
Old Sep 17, 2013, 7:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
lounge - if you'd bother to read through this short thread you would have found your answer........or you could have easily checked Sharon's sticky......
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...-weekends.html

points required - this is a Cat 6 prop (an update on Sharon's original post)............

point stays ARE available albeit spotty for Sept/Oct but afterwards available nearly EVERY day thru 5 Sept 14........

Originally Posted by tbrein
WE are thinking of staying here next year. Is there a lounge?
Right now the website is saying that I cannot stay on points, but I will wait to book since there is plenty of time.
How many points per night?
Thanks

Last edited by BKKLEE; Sep 17, 2013 at 7:57 pm
Old Sep 18, 2013, 7:16 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro (LT Gold), Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium, National Exec,Hyatt,Melia, BA Exec, Iberia+
I stayed there two years ago on points. I was Marriott Platinum at the time and was upgraded to an amazing top-floor suite overlooking the park (was just a one-night stay). I loved the style and architecture of the building, as well as the location right on the park. The service was good as well. I ran in the park, so did not use the exercise room.
I didn't eat lunch or dinner there because why would anyone eat in their hotel in Madrid?!

Not sure on lounge.
I definitely recommend the hotel. The Autograph Collection Santo Mauro is more spectacular, but this is very nice with great location.
Old Sep 19, 2013, 8:06 am

Programs: AA-LT Gold 1.2MM ,DL, Marriott LT TITANIUM; HH Gold, AMEX PLT
Thanks for your answers. Didn't pick up on the lounge on the first reading. Read too quickly. Will definitely look into staying here when we're ready to book our reservation.
Thanks
Terri
Old May 10, 2014, 9:32 am

Programs: Delta Plt, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, IHG Plt, AA
Thanks for all the information. I'll be staying here in July for 2 nights.

FYI - Elite Traveler rated the restaurant here as #5 in Madrid. The other Autograph Hotel restaurant was rated by them as #1. I think I'll be trying one of them out. We'll be eating at Botin our last night and compare!
Old Jul 16, 2014, 11:35 am
Original Poster

ImAllEars posted the following in the exec lounge sticky (which I've now updated). Since the post had more info than I needed for the sticky, thought I'd post it in this dedicated thread so FTers will have the info if they do a search on the property. Thanks to IAE for the info.

"Madrid, Spain AC Palacio del Retiro/Autograph Collection

No lounge, free wifi with code for Gold/Platinum. Continental breakfast for Gold/Platinum at 7:30 am, includes coffee, tea, juice, your choice of cereal and milk, generous fresh fruit plate, croissants and toast with jelly. You must be seated and served, which was explained at check in, to get the included breakfast. Do not select from the buffet unless you want a reasonable price upgrade. You can also order from the menu for eggs, etc for an upgrade. Free coffee and croissants are also available in separate area next to check in for early risers. A business center is available for printing boarding passes. Friendly staff very willing to assist with this, since Spanish language and keyboard was a problem for us."

Cheers.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 11:36 am
Original Poster

ImAllEars posted the following in the exec lounge sticky (which I've now updated). Since the post had more info than I needed for the sticky, thought I'd post it in this dedicated thread so FTers will have the info if they do a search on the property. Thanks to IAE for the info.

"Madrid, Spain AC Palacio del Retiro/Autograph Collection

No lounge, free wifi with code for Gold/Platinum. Continental breakfast for Gold/Platinum at 7:30 am, includes coffee, tea, juice, your choice of cereal and milk, generous fresh fruit plate, croissants and toast with jelly. You must be seated and served, which was explained at check in, to get the included breakfast. Do not select from the buffet unless you want a reasonable price upgrade. You can also order from the menu for eggs, etc for an upgrade. Free coffee and croissants are also available in separate area next to check in for early risers. A business center is available for printing boarding passes. Friendly staff very willing to assist with this, since Spanish language and keyboard was a problem for us."

Cheers.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 9:11 am

Programs: Airlines: DL-Silver, UA-Silver Hotels: MR-LT PP
I stayed using points at the AC P d R for 5 nights in late September 2014. I had contacted hotel prior to arrival about upgrade and some additional amenities i wanted in our room. We arrived early (10:00 AM) after our overnight flight and room was not ready. We left our luggage with the FD and walked down to Prado to kill some time. When we arrived back after lunch, we were shown to a nice room but not any kind of upgrade. In my profile I request a room away from the elevator, so as you can guess, our room was next to the elevator. At this point I was so tired I would have accepted a broom closet so we took the room.

As other have noted the staff is very nice, we loved the location and the breakfast was adequate. We selected the "Continental" option which consisted of coffee or tea; juice; a plate with 2 mini croissants and 1 pastry per person. We were also allowed to request one of the following: toast, cereal or fruit. We were never offered refills on any of the beverages. Upgrade to Full Buffet was about 14.00.

The hotel is only 2 blocks from the Metro about halfway between the Retiro and Banque de Espanya stops. Espanya is the better choice in my opinion. Cab fare from airport was 35.00. Fare to Atocha was 6.00.

Internet access was not very good when we checked in but midway through our stay they changed systems and it improved greatly. Business center is adequate, but computer is a Mac, so being a Windows person I needed assistance from the staff.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 10:30 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the update! Much appreciated.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.