Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa (Mexico) [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 25, 2019, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Marriott Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa (Mexico) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2018, 6:06 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Transportation: Easy access from PVR, at Marina Vallarta . Taxi rate from was $240MXN (Zone 1A) and $80MXN return. A bit further to the downtown area and restaurants than for non-marina hotels. Walmart is relatively close and $80MXN each way.

Check-in: Reservation was upgraded at least two days prior from Garden View to Banderas Bay/Pool view. Bellhops pulled luggage out of the taxi on arrival and gave a claim slip for the front desk.

At check-in desk, was thanked for our loyalty, and welcomed home and back to the hotel. This is only the second time we've been here, but nice to see that they are aware of repeat guests. FDC proactively asked if we would like a late checkout, and confirmed a 4 pm checkout.

Room: On the 8th floor facing the pool and Banderas Bay/ocean. There was a welcome gift of additional waters in an ice bucket along with a platter of fresh whole fruit on the coffee table. Standard Thann amenities in the bathroom. A/C setting went down to 60F, and while it was adequate most of the time, the duvet was still a bit too hot. Also had a slight musty smell from time to time but unsurprising given the environment. Prearrival request for extra pillows was already done by the time we got to our room.

The lobby bar music was a little loud on the weekends even with the balcony door shut but thankfully was turned off around 10pm. It was enough that I'm considering just sticking with a Garden view room on the other side next time.

Restaurants: Ate breakfast at La Estancia and Las Casitas. Same menu at both, except for the buffet at La Estancia, but I though the breakfast was a little better at La Estancia. Could also pick up a coffee, pastry, or other a la carte items at the Los Mangos deli if a lighter breakfast is preferred.

Ate dinner twice at Las Casitas. First time was great, second time was not quite as good with the lobster tacos overcooked.

I wasn't very impressed with the food at Mikado, but the wife liked it and would go again.

Housekeeping: Seemed like they watched for the removal of the Do Not Disturb sign, because while some days we got going late, the room was always quickly serviced after we left. Inconsistent number of bath towels/washclothes/hand towels and amenities placed each day but evening housekeeping service would rectify any deficiencies. Bottled water was also inconsistently placed. First time was in the bathroom on one of the shelves, then it was placed by the minibar (did that mean it was charged or still complimentary?), then moved back to the bathroom shelf.

Fitness center: Large number of exercise machines, weight machines, and such. Attendants were quick to provide a towel if you didn't grab one on the way in. There's also an indoor endless/jetted pool but a bit tepid. Locker room with shower off the fitness center.

Other: Spent quite a bit of time every day on the beach. Service was wildly inconsistent, even with the same server. Some days he would be out shortly after we arrived and frequent follow ups, other days we'd go for long periods without a pass by. One day we were out for 2 1/2 hours, and while we saw the servers walking around the pool, no one ever came out on the beach where we were.

Another quibble was the front desk called around 2 pm the afternoon of our checkout and apparently had no record of our late checkout request, despite it showing as confirmed in the app. Nevertheless they quickly accepted our 4 pm late checkout and absolutely no pushback from them. Similar thing happened last year though.

Overall we enjoyed the location and the staff, and would return (actually we're already rebooked for a fall visit). Sand dollar rate seems to be gone permanently and resort fees are now charged, but still a good value in my opinion. I'm looking forward to seeing how the room renovations are completed.

a) room

b) arrival gift in room (separate from the platinum arrival amenity!)

c) view from the balcony

d) sunset at Las Casitas
Attached Images     
flyme2 likes this.

Last edited by rustykettel; May 9, 2018 at 11:59 am Reason: struck incorrect Sand Dollar rate info
Old May 9, 2018, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by rustykettel
...Sand dollar rate seems to be gone permanently and resort fees are now charged, but still a good value in my opinion.
If you look closely enough, you'll see that the Sand Dollar rate is still very much alive.

Thanks for the great write up. My late wife and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay there a year or so before she passed away. We shared your opinion about Mikado and had a very enjoyable and romantic dinner at Las Casitas.

Last edited by flyme2; May 9, 2018 at 2:18 pm Reason: typo
Old May 9, 2018, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by flyme2
If you look closely enough, you'll see that the Sand Dollar rate is still very much alive.

Thanks for the great write up. My late wife and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay there a year or so before she passed away. We shared your opinion about Mikado and had a very enjoyable and romantic dinner at Las Casitas.
Thank you! and happy to delete my incorrect conclusions on the Sand Dollar rate. I'm glad that you were able to share a wonderful time there.

Will be interesting to see how the Marriott fares as the 4 SPG properties in the PVR area are integrated. I haven't stayed at the others so far.
Old May 9, 2018, 2:26 pm

Will be interesting to see how the Marriott fares as the 4 SPG properties in the PVR area are integrated. I haven't stayed at the others so far.
We stayed at both the Westin and Sheraton, and very much preferred the Marriott. Despite it not having an EL, which the Sheraton and Westin have, the Sand Dollar rate at the Marriott more than made up for that.
Old May 10, 2018, 6:41 am

A pointer: There are also rates available, not labeled as Sand Dollar, but featuring the same $50 daily credit. These rates are actually cheaper than the SD rate and have the same 7 day cancellation restriction.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 8:19 pm

Pictures of renovated rooms via hotel's Marriott page - Photo Gallery Marriott Puerto Vallarta Renovations

Looks like the bathtubs have been removed for walk-in showers. If so,

Will be there next month to see in person.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 8:12 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Silver, Hertz
Pictures of renovated rooms via hotel's Marriott page - Photo Gallery Marriott Puerto Vallarta Renovations

Looks like the bathtubs have been removed for walk-in showers. If so,

Will be there next month to see in person.
Thanks for sharing those photos! This is the first time in 5 years we won't be at the PV Marriott in Novermber (and only the 2nd time in the last 10 years we are missing...) We've got a 15-day trip to Italy this Fall, just couldn't swing more vacation time before the end of the year.

I am a big fan of walk-in showers, so I like the change. Maybe they still have some rooms with tubs for families? You may want to check.
rustykettel likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by jtwiz
I am a big fan of walk-in showers, so I like the change. Maybe they still have some rooms with tubs for families? You may want to check.
Yes, am going to do that. I'm holding out hope that they didn't just put them in mobility rooms.

ETA: Heard back from the property already. ^ for the quick response. Unfortunately (for us) all of the rooms will be walk-in shower only when the renovations are finished.

Last edited by rustykettel; Sep 12, 2018 at 4:33 pm
Old Dec 12, 2018, 7:57 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Gold LT
Does anyone know if they are compliant with the new Platinum benefits of free breakfast + 1 as your Platinum Elite welcome choice? I have a stay coming up over New Years and was really hoping to get the free breakfast.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by smilee
Does anyone know if they are compliant with the new Platinum benefits of free breakfast + 1 as your Platinum Elite welcome choice? I have a stay coming up over New Years and was really hoping to get the free breakfast.
I posted over in the breakfast offerings thread but not here:

So following up here. The three options were indeed offered. The breakfast offering was "continental a la carte". I asked the FDC what that was, and she began describing a standard continental breakfast. Still not quite sure what is actually served as there wasn't an option called "continental breakfast" on the menu prior. Since it doesn't seem to include full hot entres, and definitely not the buffet, I opted for points.
So yes, they are compliant but no, you won’t be getting either the full buffet or hot entrees. I didn’t follow up to see if it was possible to pay an up charge instead of the full amount as we had daily resort credits.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 9:28 am

Programs: Marriott LTT, United Club Life Member, UA *S
So yes, they are compliant but no, you won’t be getting either the full buffet or hot entrees. I didn’t follow up to see if it was possible to pay an up charge instead of the full amount as we had daily resort credits.
We'll be there in 5 weeks. As a PPE I was told that we could upgrade from the continental breakfast to the full breakfast buffet for $10/day/person. Sounds fair. Not happy about the resort fee though.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 3:34 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Quick review of my trip as a Platinum Elite staying on points during Christmas break.

The hotel is very close to the airport. As others mentioned you could get a cab for MXN$ 240 from the airport to the hotel. We walked about a block towards the One Hotel Puerto Vallarta Aeropuerto, and took a cab for MXN$ 80. After a snorkeling tour I purchased some photos that were delivered to the airport, so I walked to the airport from the Marriott. It took me 25 minutes to walk to the airport, and only 20 minutes to walk back. It's about 1 mile from the airport to the hotel.

Check In
We checked in at about 4pm, and it was busy. Took a good 15 minutes before I was served but it was Christmas break. I was offered a choice of points, or fruit plate or Continental Breakfast. No brainier for me I would take the breakfast. I was told you could order continental breakfast in the buffet and for $10 could upgrade to the full buffet which we did twice. The buffet is pretty good. I was also told that I could have breakfast at Las Casitas restaurant right next to the pool on the ocean front. But only CONTINENTAL there. That is what I did 4 of the days. They charge you MXN 580$ about $30USD for 2 continentals which is pricey as you could order two coffees and an two omelettes for about MXN 500$ THERE IS NO SUBSTITUTIONS FOR CONTINENTAL at Las Casitas only at the buffet can you get the full breakfast. I really don't understand that especially as they charge you the same for continental as for a full breakfast??? I took a picture to show you what you get for the continental 2 pieces of toast, 7 grapes and a orange sized slice of watermelon, pineapple, and papaya. Also a miniature yogurt and granola dish. It is much smaller then it looks.

Platinum Elite Continental breakfast

Room
We booked on points. As a Platinum they upgraded us to a room on the 8th floor.

Check Out
When I went to check out, they had charged me one of the Continental Breakfasts. I asked them to remove it and the CSR said that the Las Casitas restaurant does not give a Continental Breakfast. I said 4 of the other days we had it and only once it showed on the folio. She checked with her manager and took it off. I am not sure if this is common or not but I read someone else had some errors on their checkout. I kept a google spreadsheet to keep track of my bills by date and was quickly able to spot this on my phone as I matched room charges with my folio on check out.
Late check out of 2pm was the best they could do. I had really wanted a 4 but they couldn't which was too bad as it would have been absolutely perfect if they could have.

FEE
$15 Junk resort fee. Includes per day either 2 bikes (pay for 2 more as we were a group of 2 adults and 2 kids) or 1 double kayak and (pay for additional kayak) Internet and welcome drink coupon which had an expiry date of 2 days so we couldn't cash in on it.
The weather unfortunately did not cooperate with us and we had the first 4 days as cloudy. Not much to do on the cloudy days with kids. Kids are not allowed in the hot tub (16 min age) or in the gym.

Clean - rooms were cleaned daily, 2 water bottles added daily, and turn down service every night at about 8pm which was nice.

Good hotel with mediocre Platinum benefits.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 5:08 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by smilee
Quick review of my trip as a Platinum Elite staying on points during Christmas break.

The hotel is very close to the airport. As others mentioned you could get a cab for MXN$ 240 from the airport to the hotel. We walked about a block towards the One Hotel Puerto Vallarta Aeropuerto, and took a cab for MXN$ 80. After a snorkeling tour I purchased some photos that were delivered to the airport, so I walked to the airport from the Marriott. It took me 25 minutes to walk to the airport, and only 20 minutes to walk back. It's about 1 mile from the airport to the hotel.

Good hotel with mediocre Platinum benefits.
Thanks for the update!

Particularly helpful to understand how they are handling the breakfast benefit. The $10 upgrade to the full buffet seems fair. I wish they gave the credit at the ocean front restaurant although the continental looks ...just OK. Particularly, if I could get a crescent with the fruit, yogurt and coffee.

I've had good upgrades with this property. It's not the nicest beachfront property but they are nice.and its the easiest property in Mexico to get to/from the airport for a quick weekend trip. Additionally, there are lots of restaurants within walking distance.

When I was there this summer, there were some drinks included with the resort fee. Did you get those?
Old Jan 9, 2019, 1:07 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Thanks for the update!

Particularly helpful to understand how they are handling the breakfast benefit. The $10 upgrade to the full buffet seems fair. I wish they gave the credit at the ocean front restaurant although the continental looks ...just OK. Particularly, if I could get a crescent with the fruit, yogurt and coffee.

I've had good upgrades with this property. It's not the nicest beachfront property but they are nice.and its the easiest property in Mexico to get to/from the airport for a quick weekend trip. Additionally, there are lots of restaurants within walking distance.

When I was there this summer, there were some drinks included with the resort fee. Did you get those?
You can get a bagel and cream cheese instead of toast. That is what I did most days. And I agree the $10 upgrade at the buffet is pretty good deal as the buffet is quite nice.

They only gave us 2 days to use the drink coupon. We didn't use and forgot about those drink coupons until the 4th day when they were already expired

I agree, being so close to the airport makes this a great destination hotel to go for a short trip to Puerto Vallarta.
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 2:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott Ambassador
Not providing a full breakfast isn't fair. I can't believe the number of people who just accept forking over $10 extra for the breakfast that is supposed to be complimentary. The terms do not state "continental breakfast" anywhere. You are entitled to a breakfast, especially when the "continental breakfast" isn't even on the menu and offered to guests otherwise paying for breakfast.

The breakfast offering was "continental a la carte". I asked the FDC what that was, and she began describing a standard continental breakfast. Still not quite sure what is actually served as there wasn't an option called "continental breakfast" on the menu prior.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.