FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Annual fee retention bonus for Starwood Amex Card (Pre-May, 2019) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1214916-annual-fee-retention-bonus-starwood-amex-card-pre-may-2019-a.html)

beltway Feb 20, 2016 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by controller1 (Post 26217207)
:confused: The Starwood Business AMEX provides a 5% Hyatt rebate?

It used to, but no longer does.

controller1 Feb 20, 2016 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by beltway (Post 26217250)
It used to, but no longer does.

Wow!

Never had the business card, but how strange that a Starwood co-branded card would provide a Hyatt-related benefit!

beltway Feb 20, 2016 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by controller1 (Post 26217264)
Wow!

Never had the business card, but how strange that a Starwood co-branded card would provide a Hyatt-related benefit!

IIRC, this was a feature of all Amex business credit cards.

jdawg Feb 20, 2016 3:29 pm

Yup ... http://www.travelcodex.com/2013/04/s...-paying-hyatt/

It ended on 12/31/2015 ... it was weird that the SPG amex offered better rewards at Hyatt than starwood properties.

grandgourmand Feb 22, 2016 9:12 am

I was offered 7k SPG points to retain my SPG personal card (Canadian version). Spent about $40k Canadian on it last year, or the equivalent of fifty bucks US.

McFlyPHL Feb 22, 2016 10:44 am

~20-30k/yr in spend annually since 2003.

Offer $25 credit or 1,000 points + 1,500 for spending $1,000 in 60 days.

Took the credit, will probably cancel card anyway once Costco starts taking Visa.

jazzmailman Feb 22, 2016 4:58 pm

Just called retention - Rep was very nice and explained that she does not have any offer on hand since I received 7k Starpoints last year as a retention offer (when the annual fee was $69). She said that I sound very knowledgeable and straight up told me that the system typically won't generate another offer until the 13th month after receiving retention offer.

She said she can't give me guarantees but advised that I do have 2 billing cycles to close the card and receive a full refund. After that the AF is prorated should i cancel. I thanked her for her explanation and told her i'll call back in a couple of months.

I fully expect to receive 5-10k Starpoints the next time i call, as the AF is now $95 (10k starpoints retention now as the wiki suggested?)

I had ~60k spending on my SPG card last year, half MS half real spending. If AMEX doesn't offer me a retention offer after 2 months, i will just cancel and maybe pay $20 prorated fee. AMEX has given us so much points that $20 is so trivial for me pay.

dascc Feb 24, 2016 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by jazzmailman (Post 26228219)
Just called retention - Rep was very nice and explained that she does not have any offer on hand since I received 7k Starpoints last year as a retention offer (when the annual fee was $69). She said that I sound very knowledgeable and straight up told me that the system typically won't generate another offer until the 13th month after receiving retention offer.

She said she can't give me guarantees but advised that I do have 2 billing cycles to close the card and receive a full refund. After that the AF is prorated should i cancel. I thanked her for her explanation and told her i'll call back in a couple of months.

I fully expect to receive 5-10k Starpoints the next time i call, as the AF is now $95 (10k starpoints retention now as the wiki suggested?)

I had ~60k spending on my SPG card last year, half MS half real spending. If AMEX doesn't offer me a retention offer after 2 months, i will just cancel and maybe pay $20 prorated fee. AMEX has given us so much points that $20 is so trivial for me pay.

Interesting data point. I wonder if that holds true for all AMEX cards?

adschnei Mar 1, 2016 1:01 pm

I called the number on the back of my card and got to retention twice. Both times I was only offered a $25 loyalty credit. Is this considered the same as a retention offer?

I'm a little bummed I didnt see there was a direct line for Startwoods retention. I really was hoping for points, as I've spent $27k on my SPG in the last year.

Looks like I may have screwed up, but I was explicitly told there were no other offers on my account (even asked for points), so I bit on the credit, as I love my SPG card.

droidcore Mar 2, 2016 8:47 am

Called Retention today about my SPG Business I did $56k in spend on last year... surprisingly nothing (got the same blank offer on my Delta Business lat month). Fee hits at the end of April, I'll give them a ring next month.

chanchenyu Mar 10, 2016 6:40 pm

Reporting detention offer (3/10)

My detention offer was pretty minimal. Just $25 Loyalty credit. Spent 7K-ish last year.

controller1 Mar 10, 2016 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by chanchenyu (Post 26315754)
My detention offer was pretty minimal. Just $25 Loyalty credit. Spent 7K-ish last year.

That minimal detention (sic) offer is probably due to your minimal spending last year! ;)

lollertank Mar 15, 2016 7:09 pm

called and was offered 3k points immediately. about $40k spending last year. call took less than 2 minutes.

JordanYVR Mar 19, 2016 6:00 pm

Called for Canadian SPG Amex - ~40k spend - offered 5k immediately, asked for 7k and got 6k. Took 5 minutes.

Antonio8069 Mar 21, 2016 3:00 pm

SPG retention bonus

Originally Posted by grandgourmand (Post 26225604)
I was offered 7k SPG points to retain my SPG personal card (Canadian version). Spent about $40k Canadian on it last year, or the equivalent of fifty bucks US.

Ditto here. I don't spend $40K per annum as I have two add'l Plat cards. So I consider the 7K a good deal (annual renewal fee = $120 CAD).