FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Platinum arrival gift [Merged threads] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1203504-platinum-arrival-gift-merged-threads.html)

BigLar Jul 10, 2008 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse (Post 10011048)
I'm confused, are you saying that the FI has the evening happy hour (like the RI)? If so, Are you also saying that if you select the points, you can't go to the evening happy hour?

No, not at all. It only refers to the plat arrival gift. The maager's reception is still open to all.

PCSguyMD Jul 22, 2008 1:29 pm

Quick question regarding the Platinum Arrival Gift and booking multiple rooms...

I just made it to MR Platinum level again :)

If I book two rooms at a Renaissance in my name and MR # for example (either two separate reservations or one reservation with two rooms). One for me and one for the kids or whomever -- am I then entitled to an arrival gift for each room or only one gift in total? Would it matter if I made separate reservations or two rooms in one reservation?

sophiegirl Jul 22, 2008 1:47 pm

[QUOTE=PCSguyMD;10079852]Quick question regarding the Platinum Arrival Gift and booking multiple rooms...

I just made it to MR Platinum level again :)

If I book two rooms at a Renaissance in my name and MR # for example (either two separate reservations or one reservation with two rooms). One for me and one for the kids or whomever -- am I then entitled to an arrival gift for each room or only one gift in total? Would it matter if I made separate reservations or two rooms in one reservation?[/QUOTE]

In my experience it depends on the property. I almost always book 2 rooms, and whether I get 2 gifts is about 50 to 50. Surprisingly, I think Renaissance is less than that, while FS Marriotts are more. (perhaps 75/25) And...I have not found that it makes a difference 1 res/2 rooms or 2 res/1 room.

I will say that both rooms have always received CL benefits.

YMMV.

leatherheadiowa Sep 12, 2008 2:43 pm

Be honest, what is the best check-in gift you have been given? At what level?

Just wondered what the best gift bag, check in gift a person had received was... And what level were you when you got the gift?

jaf Sep 12, 2008 3:40 pm

ummm ... nothing ?!

I'm gold but can't recall ever getting a check-in gift from Marriott. I've gotten gifts from Starwood a number of times over the years, but never Marriott. One Sheraton I stayed at all the time gave me a decent bottle of red wine around Christmas time. ... sounds kinda skimpy to me, I stayed there for like 18 months

jaf Sep 12, 2008 3:42 pm

i lied - I did get a bottle of champagne, fresh fruit, turkish delight from the grande bretagne in athens ...and i'm sure the st. regis in NY gave me something nice. but those were both for my honeymoon.

but again ... nothing from marriott.

VA1379 Sep 12, 2008 4:02 pm

I have gotten two platinum welcome gifts several times from the Washington Dulles Marriott Suites in Herndon. I usually take points, and I have gotten extra water, a couple of pieces of fruit, and a container of brie and crackers.

burtonmadness Sep 12, 2008 4:26 pm

I get Brie and crackers and half bottle of red when I check into Marriott Irvine. Its the only place I don't take the points for.

BM

NDDomer86 Sep 12, 2008 6:06 pm

Sadly this is one of the few things I find fault with Marriott with. Granted I realize they don't have to offer an arrival amenity period, I find it rather slack at most properties (although some, like the Renaissance Glendale, make their cheese and cracker presentations worthwhile). The offerings are better than Starwood's (at least for their Sheraton/Westin brands) but pale in comparison to Hyatt's.

I would say the most interesting arrival amenity I've received (not the best by any means) was at the Renaissance Las Vegas when I chose the cheese and crackers and bottle of white wine. The bottle of white wine said "Bottled exclusively for Hyatt Hotels and Resorts" :confused:...

joshua362 Sep 12, 2008 6:31 pm

Just the standard light blue / white PLT arrival gift card which I can't believe isn't personalized by property and or region depending on local specialties or type of restaurants on the property.

And as pointed out above, most of the times the food is pre packaged cheese and crackers but on rare occasion a kitchen might take some pride and have fun with it, Tampa REN comes to mind.

Not complaining though as its a nice gesture, I always take it over the points and usually take the wine home for another time.

I pointed out last week that I noticed a homemade SILVER welcome gift offering a free movie, night of internet access or 250 pts. (Bridgewater Marriott). Under certain circumstances, item 1 or 2 might trump the PLT offering!

I had an amazing stay this week at the Boulder FS. I arrived Sunday tired, stuffed, hungover and asked the great FD Agent if I could keep the PLT arrival card for another night. On Wednesday, he reminded me that I hadn't taken up the offer and that I was checking out tomorrow so he arranged for it right then and there. What service!

CJKatl Sep 12, 2008 6:34 pm

Turned out not to be a welcome gift, but...

I once checked into a FS I used to stay in a lot. (No names, but they did an American Idol audition ep in the hotel. I stayed there so much that when they showed clips from the next show before it aired, I instantly recognized the CARPET and called a coworker and said told her AI had definitely been in that hotel.) I ran to the hotel, dropped my luggage, and ran to my office. At the end of a very long day, I got back to the hotel and realized the room key was in the office.

No problem, I stopped at the front desk. There was a new young lady at the front desk. Someone else introduced her, I told her I needed a key, gave her the room number, and got the key.

When I got to the room, it was the best welcome gift ever. There, on the bed, was a new I-Pod, in the box. Wow. It was awesome. But then I noticed something even better. An I-Mac. On the desk. Then it occurred to me there was an open suitcase. And the shower was running. Crud! I gave the young lady the wrong room number and was in someone else's room. And that someone else was in the shower!!!

I quietly backed out, went to the Concierge Lounge, and explained what happened to my buddy, the Concierge. We called the front desk. At about that time, man-in-the-shower's boyfriend comes into the CL upset that his key won't work. I apologized and explained what happened. But he was steaming. He said it was nice of me to take the blame, but it was the %@#$%^ desk clerk's fault and she needed to be fired! He said the one line that gives you away as a jerk, "Do you know who I am?" (He was some eye doctor, but not someone of any real import.)

Yes, they should have checked my ID. But she was young, new, and was told I was a VIP. I never saw her at the desk again, so I assume she was either let go or so scared that she never came back!

Anyway, for the few seconds where I thought Marriott had given me an I-Pod and I-Mac, I thought I had gotten the best welcome gift ever. Nothing else will ever reach that feeling in a welcome gift.

jezsik Sep 12, 2008 9:16 pm

Philadelphia: two pints of yummy Ben and Jerry's ice cream. :p
Thailand: two bars of the most interesting soap (including lemongrass)
Malaysia: a plate of fruit including my first mangosteen (Wow!)

rtiggi Sep 12, 2008 9:51 pm

Until this thread, I had no idea that Marriott ever had check-in gifts... Maybe now, that will mean that I will start getting them :D

VA1379 Sep 12, 2008 9:58 pm

Most check-in gifts are for platinum members. Some properties give welcome gifts to silver and gold members, but I never started receiving any until I became platinum.

USFreak Sep 13, 2008 3:52 am

Ya know, it's ironic that this thread got started because I just checked into the Philly Downtown Marriott and the PLT arrival gifts have gone downhill severely. I always get extra water and the fruit/pretzel option. Last year, I would have gotten a plate of sliced fruit with pretzels in a bowl. Now, I get a single apple with a tiny airline bag of pretzels.......other than that, I got a silver shaving kit at the Williamsburg Marriott but that was in 2004. Nothing since....................Not a huge deal, but if I arrive late at night and just want a bed and not the hassle of room service, a plate of sliced fruit goes a long way......just MHO.