FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Sheraton (St John's) Newfoundland [Master Thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1126093-sheraton-st-johns-newfoundland-master-thread.html)

chantl01 Sep 13, 2010 3:35 pm

Sheraton (St John's) Newfoundland [Master Thread]

Had a great stay at the Sheraton in St. John's! The lobby area has been completely updated and looks and feels like a top-notch modern hotel. I stayed in one of the Club level rooms (6th floor) and it didn't seem to have been renovated as yet, and was a bit tired in decor. Although the view of the Harbour was spectacular and the service in the Club lounge was outstanding. In face, I had such a good stay here at the beginning of my trip that I booked myself back in for one night at the tail-end of the trip. This time I ended up in a newly-renovated corner room on the 2nd floor, and I have to say that it was wonderful. Again a fabulous view, a very spacious room (330 sq ft, I believe) and a wonderful bathroom and bed. Free wi-fi everywhere in the hotel and the Sheraton Link in the lobby area provides internet access and printing in case you don't have your own laptop. I didn't try it, but was told the pool and hot tub were nice, albeit a bit dark in decor. Perhaps they're next on the renovation list. Definitely recommend this hotel with the caveat that the renovated rooms are certainly preferable. And the location is fantastic.

Explore Sep 13, 2010 7:43 pm

Is this a rebranding of an older hotel - say the Fairmont (and CNR) Hotel Newfoundland?

mahasamatman Sep 13, 2010 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by Explore (Post 14652649)
Is this a rebranding of an older hotel - say the Fairmont (and CNR) Hotel Newfoundland?

Yes. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...iscussion.html

Explore Sep 13, 2010 11:18 pm

Great. The railway heritage is appreciated, as with the Westin Nova Scotian.

antirealist May 9, 2011 1:04 pm

Has anyone eaten at the new restaurant, Oppidan, which replaced the Cabot Club?

I'm underwhelmed by St John's restaurants in general, and I'm wondering whether to bother eating there during my one night's stay next week, or go somewhere that's more of a known quantity.

Wallease May 9, 2011 3:16 pm

I tried it last month. It is still a similar type of restaurant like the Cabot Club, but the decor/theme changed. PM me if you need advice on restaurant.

nachoman205 Aug 17, 2012 12:24 pm

Updates any good recommendations for resaturants going next week for a few days

Wallease Aug 17, 2012 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by nachoman205 (Post 19141931)
Updates any good recommendations for resaturants going next week for a few days

You can try Raymond's, one of the best new restaurant in town.
If you have a car, there is also Atlantica.

cruiser9999 Aug 17, 2012 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by Explore (Post 14653766)
Great. The railway heritage is appreciated, as with the Westin Nova Scotian.

This was not a hotel built for the railway. The first hotel on this sight was opened in 1926 and operated by Newfoundland Hotel Facilities. Ownership of the hotel was transferred to CN after confederation in 1949. The hotel was renamed the Hotel Newfoundland in the 1960s, then taken over by Fairmont and now Starwood.

Nfldflyer Aug 17, 2012 8:42 pm

St johns restaurants

Originally Posted by Wallease (Post 19143015)
You can try Raymond's, one of the best new restaurant in town.
If you have a car, there is also Atlantica.

Blue on Water and Gypsy Tea Room are also excellent options. Great seafood offerings and NEwfoundland hospitlaity at all four of those restaurants. The restaurant at the Sheraton is not as good as when the Hotel was the Fairmont. Id suggest you avoid.

PedroNY Aug 8, 2013 11:13 am

Any updates about this hotel? I am considering traveling to St. John's NL for 5-7 nights, wanted to know if this is a good location for 3 people (2 adults and a child), and if anyone stayed here recently.

Thank you,

PedroNY

Flews Aug 8, 2013 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by PedroNY (Post 21237415)
Any updates about this hotel? I am considering traveling to St. John's NL for 5-7 nights, wanted to know if this is a good location for 3 people (2 adults and a child), and if anyone stayed here recently.

Thank you,

PedroNY

In the context of St. John's, it's a very good property and location.

Cheers,

PedroNY Sep 1, 2014 6:07 pm

Update

So, we are in the middle of our six night stay at the Sheraton Newfoundland. We are staying as two adults and a child, so perspective may be a bit different.

Booking/SPG:
I used SPG points to book the hotel. Originally, I book straight rate at 10,000/night. I decided to upgrade to Club Floor at extra 1,500/night, and did this about a month ahead of time, by calling SPG. I think it was worth it, as there are 3 of us, so the use of the lounge through out the day is convenient.

Arrival/Check-In:
We flew in on a late flight, so we arrived to the hotel around 9:30. Check-in was simple, bells service was efficient. We had a crib already in the room, and were able to put down the little one without a hassle.

Room:
We ended up getting Corner Deluxe Harbour View room on the 6th Floor. It is definitely a large room, with a king size bed, couple of comfy chairs, coffee table, ottoman, desk/chair, fridge, large 42 inch TV, average size bathroom -- basically what you would expect from a Sheraton, and an amazing view. I cannot get over the view, it's exceptional, even when the fog rolls in, I just enjoy watching ships, the water, and the streets of St. John's.

Lounge:
It is open 24h a day for refreshments and light snacks. There is a good selection of soft drinks, water, apples, granola bars, coffee machine that makes espresso drinks, tea, etc. There are no free alcoholic drinks, even during afternoon snack time, just an FYI. In the morning there is a good selection of food, nothing special, but enough to have a good breakfast. Fruit, couple hot dishes, cheese, cold cuts, bread selection, cereal, OJ, coffee/tea, pastries -- basically continental breakfast at the lounge. In the afternoon, there are additional snacks, usually two hot dishes. To my surprise they served mussels and lamb chops last night. Also, veggies, fruit, cheese, deserts, cookies, etc. Service was attentive, food was refilled promptly, dishes were cleared as soon as guests left their tables. Overall, it was certainly worth it for 1,500 points/night for two of us and a child.

Gym/Pool:
The gym downstairs was surprisingly big. It had a lot of cardio equipment, about 5 bikes, 5 treadmills/elipticals, stretching area, second floor below for weight lifting, free weights, life fitness machines. It was never crowded.
The pool was nice, and they had a "toddle pool" as well, it was only 1.5 feet deep, so our two year old, loved it, and it was definitely a highlight of his hotel stay. The hot tub only had 1 out of 6 jets working, not sure if that is going to be fixed.

Food:
The restaurant and the bar were both good, we only tried lunch dishes. We couldn't really do a proper sit down dinner meal with the young one, but I heard good things about it from other guests at the hotel. There are a lot of restaurants within walking distance of the hotel, so we tried many other options, especially for dinner take-out -- so you have a lot of options for food.

Cheers,

PedroNY

Southstreet Feb 10, 2016 2:06 pm

Planning a trip to this hotel in early summer. Any recent reviews?

worldtraveller73 Jun 5, 2017 12:40 am

I just recently completed a 4 night stay at this property.

I had booked about 4 months out into a view room advertised as having harbour views. Checking in as a SPG Platinum, no upgrade was offered. The hotel indicated they were at 90% occupancy. I was placed on the SPG club lounge 6th floor and I was actually downgraded to a city view into an adjacent sixth floor building. I had arrived at 1:00 AM and had to be up the next day for 6:45 AM so I didn’t go back down to the front desk to attempt to get a better room, nor did I attempt to move mid stay. Strangely, my non SPG status traveling partner got the view room despite having his check in processed shortly after me.

The property seems to be an airline crew hotel and people are coming and going at all hours. The front desk appears really busy as high volume appears to be the order of the day here. The staff appeared to be quite stressed in comparison to usual properties at the front desk and in the hotel bar.

The property itself has been dressed up to new standards. The furniture and fixtures in the room are fresh and reasonably new. However, the hotel is quite an older hotel and it is evident as my room was quite dark in some places (north east facing), the closet armoire was really tiny as was the bathroom, which was miniscule. I also found the room a bit noisy and there was lots of door slamming noise coming in the hallway. This wouldn’t typically be an issue but because of the time zone St John’s is in, people seem to be arriving on the late flight circuit at midnight, or leaving on the early flight circuit at 4 AM.

The hotel has taxis available on a regular basis at the front door. There are restaurants about 10 minutes walk away down Duckworth street. The nearest convenience store is about a 2 block walk from the hotel. There don’t appear to be any coffee shops nearby if you are looking to take breakfast off the hotel property (ie Tim Hortons or Starbucks).

The hotel is really close to the Signal Hill trail and I took a careful run down the trail towards the point. I say careful as mis steps on the trail could be fatal as it plunges down to the harbour inlet in many places. Having said that, it is among the most spectacular walks around and has many great views.

I opted for Green Choice and welcome points. Although unusually no MAGC coupons were offered during the stay, the points posted without any issue about 12 hours after I checked out.

The SPG lounge located on the 6th floor had fantastic harbour views. It offered 2 hot evening snacks (spaghetti and samosas) and 2 hot breakfast items (scrambled eggs with ham). I didn’t spend much time here but it was pretty busy overall. The lounge had tinned soft drinks. I didn’t see anyone drinking alcohol, nor did I ask about any on the occasional time I was through.

In summary, it was a reasonable stay. I would probably return if there was no other option. The Courtyard Marriott down the road did not look all too appealing from the street and I did not check out the Delta Hotel which is the other major chain option in town. The advantages were that the room was in reasonably good condition. The disadvantages were that the rooms were quite small, the volume at the front desk seemed to be constant and frankly overwhelmed on occasion.